Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm all about this series. Hope it sticks around for a good long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man I really think this series is going places. The art is just super crisp and All Might is hilarious in like every panel he's in. I also like the Deku/Ochacko team-up so I hope they get to stick around as a pair :allears:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Aw, the costume his mom made for him already got ruined. Sad.

There's probably bad stuff out there, because of course there is, but the art of her I've seen is pretty good, at least. That post is actually what got me curious about the series; decided to look it up after seeing that. Discovered that the rest of the comic is really good too.

That's some dope art, so good call.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Other neat lil' things I've picked up on in subsequent readings:

- Iida initially gives of the vibe of a super smarts kind of guy but I really like how it seems that he needs to have things explained to him often.
- Demon horns girl is SUPER JAZZED about this fight that's just started.
- I get the sense that we might get to really learn about the whole class here rather than just the lead crew, which is exciting.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

I like Iida, he's the "smart guy" but he can also be kind of obtuse and miss obvious things and such; rather than the usual insufferable know-it-all, he comes off a bit more real. I know people like that.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at but I'm not words good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The author's put himself in a good position by explaining the quirks away with "it's just the deal, yo" which I hope means we can expect a wild variety of wacky abilities and characters.

I think I'm getting myself too excited about this series but I have really high hopes for it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's actually a pretty good idea, with an emphasis on the heavy. She can just make it weightless. Though I'm wondering about the details on her drawback: does she get nausea because of overuse (number/mass of objects affected), duration of use, or because she makes herself weightless and that just makes her barfy. Depending on what it is, heavy armor might or might not be practical.

Yeah i feel like if she constantly had to make herself/clothes weightless just to move she'd just be nauseous all the time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RatHat posted:

I don't think she can make stuff heavier(yet), just make stuff lighter.

Yet is definitely the key word here :getin:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's not that the toe is what gives them powers, it's that the lack of joint is an indication that the person has evolved further than a standard human (because the toe joint is vestigial) and therefore part of the "new generation" that has powers.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Not gained by, but indicated by.

I'm probably being too pedantic about this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bakugou is no lie one of the scariest antagonists I think I've ever seen in a shonen. Dude is just made of raw anger which is somehow more frightening than being evil.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm unreasonably excited about Deku getting to be pals with all the students, especially Nami (who's apparently got an ant-based ability?) because she seems so amped up all the time.

Not the weird tentacle guy though because his power creeps me right the gently caress out.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 20, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rivers posted:

Does anyone know what chapter the series is on currently?

19 is as far as the raws go.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rocky what happened to you? Where's Bullwinkle? :ohdear:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think with regard to the entrance exam we just kind of have to suspend disbelief a little because a lot of the powers at play here don't seems like they'd bee to useful against robots.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man, whoever's making that fanart is on their game. Except for all the compromising angles, but, Japan, I guess.

VP's power looks neat as heck and I'm excited to see what her mini-team there can do. I really like plug-ear girl's design too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Radish posted:

I thought that was from the actual artist's twitter.

Also you know poo poo just got real because the short kid isn't checking out anyone's chest in that final panel. He's even doing it in the color spread at the beginning.

Looks like it's from pixiv. The mangka's twitter doesn't have it, but there are neat sketches.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 26, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah the Tsuyu one was presumably from the same artist. Good poo poo either way.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

That's actually not the Kohei Horikoshi's pixiv! That's some other fanartist. I happen to follow his pixiv, and it's only got a few things -- mostly just awesome colorings of stuff!

Grapeboy is my favorite side-character so far. :allears:

No I know it's not his, it's definitely fanart. You can pick out some stylistic differences. The fanartist is drat good at copying style though.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself and went through the raws a while back. I don't want to say too much but god drat am I jazzed for these translations to come out.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Is that an actual color spread or just colored fanart? Why would gravity girl have dark hair when its never colored in?

Yeah that's the actual spread. As for why: manga logic I guess?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm kind of wondering if this isn't going to end up with Deku asking Eraserhead to teach him martial arts, to supplement his powers for as long as he needs it. While it wouldn't be as great as on someone who can erase quirks, it'd make him a credible threat to some villains without having to worry about breaking a finger or arm every time he has to fight.

Given that this is a superhero school I imagine martial arts is going to be a big part of the curriculum in the first place. So unless poo poo goes south real quick you'd figure that Deku learning how to fight would be a given.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yes that was two days ago but thank you.

(I still read it again anyway)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/287819/boku-no-hero-academia_ch15_by_fallen-angels

Hey look it's chapter 15

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Delaware is shaped kind of like a finger I guess. It's long and thin and Deku's attack had similar properties.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Keep team electric beat creators together forever thanks.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

It's not perfectly clear to me what Portalman (who is totally voiced by Stephen Blum in my mind) did to Spaceman #13 there. Did #13 create a black hole at him, and then Portalguy warped the black hole behind him?

That seems to be the case, yeah.

Everyone's all about Tsuyu or whatever but I'm gonna go underground and claim Jirou as best secondary character.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be corny and kind of weird sounding because that's All Might's whole shtick

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

cammy14 posted:

So the profile pages all say U.A instead of Yuuei. What could it stand for? Something Academy?

e: Tsuyu's tongue-lashing :allears:

Say "Yuuei" out loud :v:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yes

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I checked the raws, the head is obscured by text in the original so it's likely just the redrawer not knowing what to do

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I like Ashido, the bug-ish looking girl with the black eyes. She hasn't had much screen time (well she has, sorta) or done much, but she looks cool. Tsuyu is probably my favorite characterization wise, of the kids at least. All Might is the best overall though.

I like Ashido because she is super jazzed about dogding

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Let's talk about literally anything else

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the comic - Are the students in the Management and Support classes participating in the same contests as the Heroics classes, or do they get their own set of contests? If it is the former, that seems rather unfair to the Management and Support students.

Well, it's not like the other students don't have quirks as well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Tollymain posted:

so is this caught up to the raws now?

Yeah, we're waiting on the usual Jump break now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good golly gosh look at that fresh new chapter

http://bato.to/read/_/298405/boku-no-hero-academia_ch26_by_fallen-angels

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

When time slip happens indeed

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gyges posted:

Are there two people with invisibility powers, or is 40 another case of removing someone's head to put in text?

No that's definitely intentional, so I don't know what the gently caress's up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/299900/boku-no-hero-academia_ch27_by_fallen-angels/

Holla at a new chapter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

EDIT: Invisi-girl's team-mates are surprisingly relaxed about carrying a naked girl around.

They look pretty embarrassed about it in the first panel they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm leaning towards the fan translation being right in this one, though I doubt it's very important either way