Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
loving lol @ AFO Devouring His Quirks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Greatest Hero BJ Man never stops being funny.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think it's somewhat important for authors to establish why Gun wouldn't solve 90% of all problems for heroes and villains alike, and I don't really think MHA does a good job of this. In any given fight, a Dude With A Gun honestly has a good chance of being the strongest fighter in the room, especially if it's against someone like Aizawa. It's not massively important and I understand that authors would rather just skip that part and write stories about weird powers, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't think anyone is asking why they aren't shooting shigaraki because he's obviously basically immortal.

The question is more why villains like stain don't use guns, because "owns firearm" is basically an A-tier quirk on its own, as they should be able to kill most heroes who aren't like tetsu or kirishima or all might fairly easily.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Characters in fiction using implausible weapons I stead of being tactically realistic really doesn't need to be explained.

I feel like I stepped into bizarre land where 'why does this anime character use a sword' isn't answered with 'because swords are cool and fit the character.'

It's fine if the anime establishes that guns aren't great weapons for whatever reason. Why use a gun when everyone else can just deflect your bullets with their superior katana? But MHA has never even implied that to be the case for most characters, as they have quirks that are completely ineffective at dealing with firearms.

This works the other way as well. It's hella weird in symphogear when you watch a bunch of soldier guys get sent into the noise meatgrinder for the fifth time when it's been clearly established that conventional weapons don't work against them.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There are an absurd number of series which feature guns and katanas in the same series! The named characters rank higher using their chosen weapon no matter what it is.

Like this is bonkers

"Why does Cloud Strife use a sword instead of a gun since Barret and Vincent both prove guns can be effective"

"Why hasn't Zoro mastered Three Gun Style?"

Man, it was loving wild when Barret got scared of president Shinra's pistol after spending half the game's cutscenes being showered in chopper-mounted machine gun fire.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Hori's on break this week.

Best chapter in a long while when you think about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Momo can't fight as well as Bakugo because she's a girl and this is a fightboys shounen manga. If Momo was a boy and the protagonist she would've been a combination of Batman and McGyver, capable of winning any fight with 2 minutes of prep.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I wouldn't really say that's a "conclusion you can draw", those 3 literally are the protagonists for the early parts of the manga, before iida and ochako are more or less replaced by bakugo and todoroki.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Punished Ingenium
A hero betrayed by his father

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it'd be really funny if both fights were resolved while deku was still in transit. imagine if he gets there and the heroes have already won

This is what should have happened in Naruto as well, but sadly it won't here either.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Saki is the best battle shounen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lmao at responding to the system has utterly failed us with oh, so you’re a friendless loser

He's not wrong tbf.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

I did and that arc was way better than anything after.

It was also better than anything before, and the stuff before was pretty good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Waiting For Goku sucked when dragon ball z did it as well.

In fact the only show that's ever done that well is one punch man.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

I still don’t quite understand how you make a plasma cannon out of organic animal parts.

Hell, I don't understand how you make a plasma cannon out of inorganic materials.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Deku's final quirk is Friendship, which makes Shiragaki and AFO's hearts grow three sizes and everyone stops fighting.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

Next chapter is Bakugo isekaied into that fantasy world from the character line up and closing credits animation revealing everything up to this point was the prologue.

This is it, the one way to salvage this manga.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's comics for 12 year olds, they probably think it's cool as poo poo and buy 3 volumes each.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I....

You thought it might have been official???

It's official in my heart.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm speculating entirely here, this is spoilered because it's about the current chapter:

We've had pretty much the entire relevant cast show up at this point, strongly signalling this is the endgame. Who's missing, other than Deku?

All Might, Eri, and Overhaul. If All For One gets to revert his body back to Prime AFO, what's to say that this isn't a setup for Eri/Overhaul to temporarily revert All Might to Prime Might and take down AFO one last time (more quickly on-page than in Kamino, probably), likely dying in the process and fulfilling Nighteye's prophecy?

edit: Further, all the fights we've had so far were mismatches. This was signalled early by Deku v. Toga being tossed aside quickly as a distraction, for the "real" fight to be Toga vs. Froppy/Uravity.

Endeavor needs to personally resolve Dabi, Deku needs to be fighting Shigaraki instead of having Bakugo fight him and die, etc. Who "should" be fighting AFO? All Might.

I guess if you're gonna do eri shenanigans, you might as well let the best character in the series have one last fight while you're at it. I just hope bakugo stays dead, I loving hate it when writers kill off characters just to bring them back later, and when the dragon balls eri exists, it just kills any tension that might have otherwise existed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
They fuse, but it's literally just the fusion dance.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can't help but feel like something like Jujutsu Kaisen has a pretty strong inherent advantage when it comes to villains. They're just loving evil, so of course they do evil poo poo, and the heroes don't really need to worry about the ethics of fighting them to the death. A series with human villains like MHA has the potential to be more interesting, but it's much harder to write.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

SPOILERS: Edgeshot and Best Jeanist are going to rebuild Bakugo’s heart

lol

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

If this insane plan works and then Bakugo exploded his new heart immediately again I would forgive this entire terrible arc.

:same:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Everything about this is terrible. The two seconds we thought Bakugo would stay dead were the best this comic has been in years

Nobody thought that. Hoped, maybe, but it was never going to happen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it happens in all comics. Aquaman once revealed he can give people seizures by communicating with the part of their brain that evolved from aquatic ancestors, the Flash can make clothes out of speed, etc, etc. It's just a part of the genre.

(Also part of the genre AND of shonen genre: people surviving things that really logically should kill them extremely hard or at least give them horrifying infections and crippling injuries that leave them unable to move for months or years, because only the absolute smallest number of shonen series really want to deal with that.)

"The genre is rife with examples of poo poo writing" is not a solid defense of this particular example of poo poo writing imo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There's a difference between "it's unrealistic" and "the writer is literally just making random poo poo up to justify the harebrained plot and using a random nearby character's superpower as an explanation for whatever magical phenomenon just happened, regardless if it makes any sense or not".

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This has been a standing question for like 10 chapters now but if "the ability to grow infinite hands" is not a quirk, then what the hell is it?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs, y'all would've been going on about how badass it was.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

The other important difference between Bakugo and Endeavor is that Bakugo said some poo poo as a dumbass child in middle school and Endeavor is a fully grown man who has been abusing his wife and children for over a decade now. Was Bakugo old enough to know better? Yeah, of course, but he was still a kid. And he's grown up significantly since then.

Maybe it's just because I wasn't systematically bullied in school, but I find it insane for people to hold the actions of a 15 year old against them for the rest of their lives, especially when at this point, he's 17 and has already changed massively from the person who told Midoriya to kill himself, including apologizing directly.

edit - to be clear, I'm not saying people have to like Bakugo. He's definitely... an abrasive personality, apologies or no. I just find it weird that some people latched on to that one moment from hundreds of chapters ago and said "I'm going to hate him forever because of this."

I was bullied in school and I also think it's dumb as hell to hold things people did in literally middle school against them. I also disliked bakugo initially but started liking him after he got some character development.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Pvt. Borando had a family, you monster.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Endorph posted:

to be fair, youre describing a point in time when people thought more than like 4 of the a-1 kids would get any amount of screentime or development.

Who is the fourth?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I think it makes sense given that AFO starts the chapter talking about how Gear Shift was a super weak quirk when the 2nd user was alive and could only affect small objects. The individual quirk is weak - being willing to surrender the quirk and give it to someone else allows it to become strong. It's like if Mama Midoriya's quirk got rolled into OFA. Right now all she can do is pull small objects towards her but if it got a massive power boost like OFA, you could imagine her slinging entire buildings around telekinetically.

I mean, quirks starting out weak until you work hard and practice a lot is like a core part of this manga, and the focus of multiple training chapters. If Deku's mother had gone to hero school and worked hard, got swole and used her quirk for more than grabbing her phone from across the room, it probably would've been very useful in combat even without weird OFA/AFO bs.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Dude who created the Most American Man, All Might, surely doesn't pay attention to things happening in America.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Endorph posted:

theres a difference between liking american superheroes and keeping up with american politics. if you put a samurai in your western comic book that doesn't mean you'd be up to date on japanese politics.

Sure, but I might still have heard about abe's assassination, much like how I imagine most japanese people heard about the protests in 2020.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I said barely aware, not unaware.

Knowing about it doesn't mean it's relevant enough to him to inspire the storyline or for him to know about the context around the events. I know about Abes assassination but if I was going to write a plot about an assassination I'd draw more on western media and events.

That's just you, though. I'd go with the "guy with homemade pooftube" every time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

They punnch bad guy vvery hghard

What will deku's version of united states of smash be called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I liked the class vs class story up until it got cut short by deku's bullshit.

The series easily peaked during the school festival/gentle criminal arc, and it's been pretty steeply downhill from there.