Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
20-30 years and some really horrific injuries. I feel like the really horrific injuries part is what's cutting All Might so short, and would go so far as to say that it's more likely than not also what got rid of most of his predecessors.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
But she has supervision.

Or do you think that there wouldn't be somebody in the U.A. labs/machine shops pretty much through out the school day and a bit after?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
The pun or my badly done joke of a response?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Alternatively "ENGAGING KILL MODE". I know I'd do something like that for my not-so-autonomous super weapons.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Nah, Chainsaw is the Anubis of the MHA world. Not the Orbital Frame, the Stand.

Unfortunately, unlike Anubis, Venom Chainsaw has no ability to give the saw wielder his physicality, so this results in his super-ness going up and down between incarnations.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Didn't realize it, but that's probably why the Nomus are having such an easy time steam rolling everyone.

Plus, even if they're not on the USJ Nomu's level, it's still multiple quirks that were almost certainly chosen for how they work together and probably simplicity of use.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
No, nothing like that. I mean, where would she get the gun from, and why'd she keep cans of (basically) her power?

:p

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Can't Stop Sparkling.

:colbert:

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I dunno. I don't think we have any evidence that Endeavour dabbled in genetic engineering as well as eugenics. (RE: Darth Walrus and failed son)

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
At least in the case of Mineta, we got to see the event he dominated in. (It was the side hop if you don't care to look/remember.)

EDIT: And I think that Tsuyu had a world class hopping speed in the dash.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 24, 2015

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
From what we've seen, we know that it at least includes making her arms and hands huge.

Beyond that, no clue. It could be that she can just enlarge her limbs, it could be more widespread alteration of her arms, and that's just easy extensions of what we've seen.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Jintor posted:

Funny, maybe just because Bakugou is designated good guy (at the moment), I've just never thought of him as actually trying to kill Deku

it's just amplified bullying (just...), especially since Bakugou knows Deku can take massive damage

(obvs still a problem)

Considering what Bakugou himself was saying, it'd be a really forseeable accident.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Don't forget Deku's shoe.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
So, who feels like some Burning Black Coffee?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
What if she's like a reverse Grue, strong and unseeable in the light, not so much in the darkness?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I assume that it was going to be the prelude to a dramatic something, but that something got interrupted by Uraraka and her moment of awesome.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I guess Shigaraki misunderstood what was meant when AfO told him that he'd grow up to be a handy man for the Villian Alliance.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Iida sure, but Stain was a serial killer yeah? Shouldn't the authorities be up in arms about this.

If you look at the sign, it's clearly the Hero Beater. I have no clue who you seem to be associating the merch with, but there's clearly no real Hero Beater.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

And so the crossover with "Actually I Am" begins.

So what are we on, Charismatic Female Pervert the 15th? And has the Pervert Power quirk merged with anything else to become even scarier?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I'm kinda hoping that the villain group was sent after the Search and Rescue Cats Team (not-TM, not-PatPend), and are going to be completely surprised when they face down the targets, some teachers, and two classes.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
It took me a moment longer than I'd like to admit to realize why it was TS and not TA. Or AT.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
But does U.A. have a basically abandoned light music club for them to use?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
She's batshit insane enough that nobody trusts her to be alone and not do a lot of incidental killing/get new targets is my guess.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that Tokoyami is the one that wears that costume best, though.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is a kimono and he is doing calligraphy. I still don't know if it is supposed to be a reference to something, though.

Perhaps that one monkey pokemon that only learned the move that let it (permanantly) copy the enemy's last move and also had an inkbrush tail?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Okay, does anyone else think that some of the other children of Endeavor might have gotten unified quirks that just weren't what he was looking for?

Like, perhaps a hot water quirk? And if so, do you think they were used to help Todoroki get over the times his body met the fist of Endeavor?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Endeavor ever beat his kids. Just neglected them.

Anyway his Mother had a ice quirk while his dad had a fire one. The rest of his siblings just inherited one or the other instead of both like Endeavor wanted until Shouto.

I'm not saying he beat his kids (except in facial hair for the boys), but I recall a panel that seemed to indicate that the training that Shouto underwent was pretty drat tough. At least enough to make him vomit during it.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I have no loving clue who the traitor apparently is now. Hagekure was knocked out, Aoyama manned up, Ragdoll is presumably horrifically mauled. Who the hell is left? Aizawa literally openly worries about how the info got out, and only people on the trip should know.

At this rate, I'm going to bet on somebody on the villian side having parasite creation/manipulation powers combined with something else and those are being used as ultimate spies. Who's going to notice a bed bug that doesn't bite, but just hides in hair, listening?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
At the very least getting frozen in place during the mock hero-villian trials shows that her footprint looks human.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Well, considering that he was the only one to pass on just Rescue points, we know that everyone else had to have taken out at least one of the machines.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Vengarr posted:

About the anime...did anyone else feel like DekuMom knew he didn't have a Quirk from the start? They emphasized her reaction to "When I get my Quirk, I want to be just like him!". She did that in the manga too, but it was more subtle.

Also she probably knew at least something about the heredity of powers. Assuming that her power has a hard weight limit and dad's was like putting alcohol in your mouth a blowing on a match (only better because there's no prep involved), then neither one is a high end power for a hero.

And most of the combinations aren't that great. Being able to attract fires to yourself is nice, but if you have to do it by breathing in.... That's a bigger limitation than size is, honestly. Attraction breath is less good than just being straight up able to pull them in. And so forth.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
We don't know the actual genetics of it (and for good reason), but I was pretty sure that the doctor said by age four a child has usually manifested one of the parent's quirks or a combination. I'm gonna go check and will edit this soon.

EDIT: Yeah. The doc's words are that normally Deku would have manifested one of his parent's quirks or a combination of the two. I think that Shouto's uniqueness comes in that his father was going for a combination that was self-offsetting.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 6, 2016

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Elfgames posted:

while it is possible to get a mutated improved quirk i do believe the doctor said that quirks were getting weaker in general each generation. but yeah i like the idea thathad deku inherited his quirk he would have gotten pyromancy or maybe some ability to create rad fire armor.

Rewatched that scene, and there wasn't any kind of indication of quirks getting weaker. He just asked if Deku's mom was a fourth generation quirk haver. Probably because somebody who came from a line of people with quirks would be slightly more likely to know that the early research showed that people with quirks didn't have the two toe joints. And could also easily verify it (if it still held) by looking at herself and any family with quirks.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know, now that we've had a few episodes, I wonder what Bad Seafood's episode list would look like now.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

Taking someone's quirk seems to really gently caress them up. Ragdoll is drat near a vegetable. Giving people quirks didn't seem to be a walk in the park either judging by the flashback to the first recipient of One for All. I believe All Might even said that not everyone can even handle having a quirk given to them.

All for One and the One for All line of succession seem to be about the only people who can take a new quirk with little impact on themselves.

On the other hand, if one of the two heads of the Villain Alliance decided to waste-not-want-not with a now quirkless person, it could be that Ragdoll was sedated in preparation for Nomu-fication. In that case it's less the loss and more that she's probably had enough narcotics pumped into her that she's gonna wake up a day or two later with some really bad news waiting for her.

Or bad but less bad than expected news that she now has some different quirk that is going to take some time getting used to. Or quirks, but in that case they probably merged and so it wouldn't be 'visible' as two quirks.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The traitor doesn't exist, it's actually just Flowey and his power of breaking the fourth wall to see what's going on behind the scenes

So, what you're saying is that it's the B class kid with the Manga quirk; just you're saying it in a very roundabout way.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get an explanation about what exactly is up with All Might's muscle transformation. On one hand it's been tied directly with the use of OfA on All Might's part, but on the other hand Deku hasn't experienced anything remotely similar.

Early on All Might said it was like puffing up, only with more Quirk involved. Yes, there are muscles and they are being flexed, but it's also because of One For All that it's so impressive looking. I guess his pride's in there too, because of the eyes thing, so there's that to factor in too.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm not arguing that, but there's something to be said that I'm not a fan of the fact that All Might versus Nomou literally lasted half a page.

It's more like the last half of chapter 18 to the first half of chapter 19, unless you're talking about the literal finishing blow, which is more like two panels.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

I really hope there's not some dumb "Deku actually has some crazy secret quirk" or "important/evil dad" plot later because for what this story is him just being some run of the mill kid is what makes it all work.

Barring a Hokuto no Ken level melodramatic twist, we know that the first one isn't going to be too crazy. Breathe fire, weak possibly-attractive-only telekinesis, or some mix of the two that varies based on the details of both but probably ends up being inverse two word Dovahkiin.

In the second case, we should look to the guy's name to see what possibilities lie within. And I'm lead to believe that his name is written so that it can be understood as something along the lines of "been a while" (as in being analogous to been a while since we last met, and not literally) and the common to his family "green valley" so probably not going to be an important villian unless we find out that he's been replaced by or is the parent of Himiko Toga or we find out that the fire breath is some kind of strange cover for people banishing breath.

And in that case, hopefully the green valley isn't too near a cornfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

She gets sick when she goes over her upper weight limit, which is definitely more than 1 person, but using her power on her own body will pretty much automatically trigger it as well for whatever reason.

At last check her limit has gone over three tons, and Uraraka can use it on herself for a little bit without messing her inner ear too much (or something). Point is that it's not instant any more.