Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jassa posted:

Assuming AFO is removed from Shiggy at some point, there's a fairly easy way to effectively depower him of his Decay quirk. Just get Aizawa to cut off a finger or two!

...though let's face it, if AFO leaves Shiggy he's probably taking Decay with him.

You're not the first person to suggest this, but in MVA Shiggy actually used a weakened Decay on Re-Destro with the hand the latter plucked a couple fingers off of. Unless I'm misremembering that at least. So that wouldn't work, beyond taking Decay from "city-destroying" to just a pretty nasty quirk (and making it easier to accidentally activate) I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

christmas boots posted:

Sometimes I wonder if he would have been any more patient with Deku if he knew about One for All and that literally didn't have a quirk until the entrance exam but then I realize... probably not.

Would arguably be more of a reason to pound the importance of restraint into his head ASAP, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

christmas boots posted:

I hear what you’re saying and I agree, but do consider:

“I accidentally killed my family and was groomed to be a child soldier.”

“I’m the product of an abusive home where strength was everything and I want revenge and to expose my father for what he is”

“I LIKE MURDER”

Functionally they’re very similar but presentation matters.

You can also see bits of the good person that Shigaraki (or Toga, Twice, etc) could have been now and then, with Shigaraki's current self demonstrating a weird mix of his childhood desire to be a hero and save people with his upbringing by AFO and being conditioned like a dog to associate destroying things and killing people with happiness. I think this contributes too, and is also why, while he does have his fans, you seem to see fewer people suggesting the possibility of Dabi being redeemed than Shiggy or the rest of the "main" League villains; unlike the rest, he doesn't really demonstrate any positive qualities, even seeing the rest of the League as tools rather than the friends/family the rest developed into, plus while they're all killers he's the only one that seems to actually enjoy making people suffer.

Muscular has all of Dabi's problems there, being an unrepentant sadist and murderer who shows shows absolutely no redeeming qualities (besides maybe his "kill or be killed" philosophy including respect for those strong enough to challenge him instead of him being a hypocrite when the tables might get turned; he seemed to remember Kota's parents positively, after all), and we haven't even gotten a sympathetic story for him. He just kills people because he likes killing. So, yeah, people aren't going to sympathize with him much, which is probably the point; for an even more direct comparison, while I was writing this post I realized that Rappa is a pretty similar character in a lot of ways, but he was presented as much more likable despite also being a murderer who wants to punch a child to death (or be punched to death by said child, he's cool with either really), which suggests that if Horikoshi wanted his audience to like Muscular, he probably could.

I don't think that means that Deku is going to kill Muscular, or anyone else, of course, or even maim him horribly or whatever (unless maybe if you count punching off all that excess muscle fiber as maiming, I guess it depends on how that stuff works and how easily it falls off/goes away normally*). Just commenting on the sympathy thing.

*Tangent regarding Muscular's, well, muscles, wow his power is gross when you think about it for more than a little bit.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 2, 2021

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

Nah, Kendo's strategy was way better. Kendo predicted what Momo's first move would be (long-range attack by Dark Shadow) and told her team how to counter it (Vantablack possesses him). She then also predicts how Momo will react to that (Aoyama lightshow) and told her team how to counter this (Mushroom spam) and to use the light to locate Momo's team and take advantage by separating Momo from the team with Manga's Onomatopoeia so she can be ambushed.

She figured all of this out before the match, told her team exactly how the match would proceed and what to do and then left them alone so she could 1v1 Momo, proving that her plan was miles ahead. She then won and was still able to drag Momo and a cannon around Manga's Onomatopoeia to rescue him, capturing half the opposing team by herself. Kendo completely bodies Momo intellectually and physically, which is why everyone praising the latter is such a meme. Her team also does use a bunch of combo's and are pretty handily crushing 1-A by fighting smart from the shadows until Momo's care package lets Tokoyami go beast on them.

Yeah, if anything it was 1-A that was largely reactive and had to rely on brute force, since after getting countered again and again their strategy eventually came down to, "Protect Tokoyami from 1-B's bullshit and let him wreck the place." Which admittedly would have worked if it weren't for Mushroom Girl being crazy OP herself, because Tokoyami is stupidly powerful when not directly countered.

Which, well, actually happens a lot; it's what let Bakugo beat him with zero effort in the tournament, what stopped him after his rampage annihilated Moonfish, what made him trying to rescue Hawks from Dabi particularly dangerous, etc. Is Mushroom Girl the only person to beat him without using some source of light or fire, or am I forgetting something?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 19, 2021

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One For All would be pretty terrifying in the hands of a villain, yeah. In the hands of All For One or Shigaraki, the two villains actually pursuing it, though, it ironically probably wouldn't change much (beyond OFA not being able to oppose them anymore, which is definitely bad); those two are already so massively destructive that, barring it somehow possibly Decay even further, the power it would give them wouldn't make a meaningful difference. AFO's after it because he's a prick who wants whatever he can't have and wants to finally defeat his brother for good, not for the actual use it has for him, and Shiggy wants it because of AFO.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If nothing else, spoilers for Vigilantes and the main series should be marked as such because, while I haven't been following Vigilantes recently, I can imagine that it's really frustrating to have both be spoilered at once without unspoilered distinctions between them, and you've only caught up on one but not the other this week, or are waiting for the official translation for the main series, etc. And I think at least one or two people have mentioned the issue with spoiler conversations happening for both simultaneously. I probably would be frustrated with it myself if I did follow Vigilantes, since on multiple occasions I've read spoilers for it when trying to follow main series discussion here and both were going on at once under undifferentiated black bars for a page or two.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Instead of using good natured children and fashioning them into state sponsored assassins maybe pick people who have no moral qualms about assassinating people for you

The goal of using children is to make people without such moral qualms, I believe.

The Commission just isn't very good at it, it turns out.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

I mean, it's been a while but doesn't Deku pretty explicitly say "dude had a point"

To Shigaraki in the mall, he says that he could at least understand Stain, even if he couldn't accept him, because he has a reason for what he's doing and has ideals, while Shiggy's just doing it for fun basically. So it's not a statement on society really. Maybe there's another moment I'm forgetting, but the two big ones with heroes talking about Stain "positively" are that one and Iida saying he can see why people think Stain was "cool" after Kaminari said that Stain was, well, kind of cool. (Though, yes, Iida does actually learn an important lesson on the nature of heroism from Stain despite having the most reason to hate the guy out of the main cast. Still not quite the societal problem we're talking about, but it is an example of how Stain, even from the start, wasn't meant to be completely wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stain and Deku are both All Might fanboys, so they share a bond that Shigaraki could never understand. This inspires Shigaraki to make, "gently caress All Might," his new mission statement.

I'm only slightly misrepresenting/exaggerating what Deku says in that chapter, and am 100% accurate re: Shigaraki.