Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Good series so far. Hopefully the Jump mandate won't gently caress this one over like the rest of this year's new entries.

The first volume release sold really well, so I think the series is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
My Hero Academia is inspired by American superhero comics, and One-Punch Man owes a lot more to old Japanese superhero cartoons and super sentai series.

MHA Is Like, Japanese American Superhero and OPM is Japanese Japanese Superhero

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its out

http://famatg.com/2015/08/01/update-my-hero-academia-chapter-53-eng/

pretty good

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Rockboy's mom is a rock, too. Rockmom. Wonder if birdguy has a birdmom.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Gyges posted:

Yeah, I'm talking looking like a competition bodybuilder. How you lift affects how you look, going for strength and endurance is going to look different than going for bulk and definition. Not that things are 100% mutually exclusive, but you're going to be doing a whole different thing if you're training for physical villain fighting vs training to look awesome. Also putting on massive amounts of "pretty", bulk muscle is probably a lot harder for a kid most likely getting ready for a growth spurt. At least I really hope so, 5'5" is kind of slight for the next #1 world wide hero of justice.

more muscles = more badass = stronger

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I was hoping for a more lasting consequence to someone getting an arm removed and having it become just another serious, but not permanent injury takes some of the previous impact away. It's not like it's a surprise that the villains aren't winning outright but this is the third time they have been routed pretty thoroughly. It is starting to get old.

I think they'll probably succeed in kidnapping Kacchan

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
deku will overcome his limitations w/ his determination and the power of friendship

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
bakugou's idolization of all might is due to the fact that all might is the strongest, right? all might is great because he never loses. so what happens to bakugou's allegiance when all-might gets fuckin beat to death right in front of him in a straight up fight?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
does all for one actually want bakugou? i thought he was going along with it because its important to shiragaki

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Piriwi posted:

End of ch. 69 shows that he did have it.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
all of his extra hands definitely have something to do with his quirk imo

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont know if its quirk copying, or he just needs severed hands to fuel his ability somehow, or whatever. it could be anything. whatever it is, its clear that its not just a costume or stylistic thing. he hides a severed hand in his pocket when hes going out in disguise

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

He also threatened to disintegrate Deku's throat then without any of his hands being worn, on that tangent.

he keeps his left hand in his severed hand pocket the whole time. when urakawa surprises them, there's a little shifting sound effect coming from that pocket as he prepares to take both hands out for the next panel. ch 69. its a cool hint actually

he doesnt need to hold it in his hand, though, because he uses both hands to try to attack yandere girl and burn guy

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I kind of hope AfO bites the dust along with All Might this arc, he's just too OP for the kids to deal with and it would make Shigaraki leading the villain alliance much more interesting after the obligatory soul searching.

Either way we're going to get Endeavor in the #1 slot soon and that's going to be a thing.

they're doing sort of a mirror mirror thing with afo/shiragaki and all might/deku, so a simultaneous torch passing would make sense

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
the comics code was just them copying the idea of the motion picture production code, for mostly the same kinds of reasons. by the late 60s the movie industry wised up and replaced their "code" with the age-based rating system. the movie industry got to pretend like they were still implementing a regime of self-censorship while the public started getting cool movies with graphic murder and titties in them. the comics industry never got the memo

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Gyges posted:

The comics code and the publishers are intertwined because the comics code is a lot like the MPAA. When Congress was getting pissy about Batman turning children gay, and depictions of crime turning them into hooligans, the publishers got together and made a board that would enforce stupid, stupid poo poo. It was combination of a moral panic and elements of Cold War political fears. So you couldn't talk about sex or drugs, but you also couldn't show any governmental official as being corrupt/bad or show crime. Which is why Superman was always making Jimmy marry a monkey and Batman's villains were acting goofy enough to be part of Flash's Rogues.

i want to emphasize again the difference between the mpaa's rating system and the motion picture production code. the creation of the mpaa rating system was unequivocally a positive move w/r/t movie censorship. i think we've outgrown it, but it was genius imo and really opened things up for filmmakers of the time

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont think that the AfO/OfA conflict can sustain a 400+ chapter mainstay Jump behemoth. and shueisha is pinning its future on MHA. they want another big drat series. you can always introduce a stronger villain, and its gonna happen eventually imo

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Or Horikoshi will have the artistic integrity to not do that bullshit.

i dont think there's anything wrong with it, though. goku doesnt need to fight the red ribbon army his whole life

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

All Might inflating and shrinking doesn't really jive with anything else we know about 14a. Maybe All Might learned how to use it in some less than obvious ways?

it doesnt make sense, really. if being a wiry high school kid makes you an unsuitable vessel to wield more than 5% of one for all then missing half your organs should mean you're right out. instead all might just gets full usage but with a time limit. what does that mean? i've decided to just not think about it too deeply

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
h-he'll be okay, right guys? right? :ohdear:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
lol this chapter is so loving good

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i bet deku really could do a killer all-might impression. he probably practiced sounding like him all the time growing up. he could be a stand up comedian all-might impersonator

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Why is Deku looking so serious about a dorm contest?

thats the joke

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
dio was originally supposed to have ALL THE STAND POWERS or something but then araki changed his mind about it, but not before he showed dio using hermit purple that one time

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Tollymain posted:

does aging gracefully really mean retaining your figure from your younger years

yeah it means not getting fat

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i like katy perry, he's a cool guy

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he also said that he loves mineta because he's the same way lol

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

here's the kochikame tribute (i missed it the first time through and specifically went back to hunt for it lol)

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Chapter one of the spinoff series is out. its good

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/boku_no_hero_academia_illegals/en/0/1/page/1

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Woooooosh

does anyone know why his man is making the sound of wind in this response post?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

The Sandman posted:

You mean Yaoyorozu, Tsuyu and Uraraka, right?

no. they dont punch things enough

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he specifically wrote in a reference to the "silver age" at one point talking about all-might

i like contrasting it with one-punch man in that sense

opm is super japanese in its reference base. the main character and the title of the series is even a direct reference to an old popular japanese cartoon.

opm is like a japanese/japanese supperhero show and mha is like a japanese/american superhero show

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Vigilante Chapter 2

its good

pop step seems destined to forever occupy the damsel in distress role, but who gives a gently caress about her in the first place. old violent muscle guy confirmed quirkless

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
worm is poo poo

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
get over it dudes. bakugo is now sasuke

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
my prediction is that bakugo is sasuke

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
bakugou is naturally very very talented, its where his arrogance comes from in the first place

they show it in a flashback to his childhood. hes like "why isnt anyone else getting this..." then he has a realizaiton "I get it! I'm just better than everyone!"

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Baron of Donuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Actual dictionary reference. I've never heard of it, but apparently, Deku can mean good-for-nothing.

drat. ppl who dont know any japanese really do post authoritatively about it. then someone comes along with a dictionary link that directly contradicts them all.

this last page has been a revelation for me. im gonna be more careful about just repeating poo poo i read on forums in the future