Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

if the finale of this manga comes down to quirk ghost and not punch harder I'll honestly be disappointed. You're supposed to dance with the one what brung ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

he's gonna end up left with one, probably blackwhip which is very obviously horikoshi's favorite and which he already has used for a form of pseudo super strength. that cleanly resolves the "more than one quirk is maybe bad for your body" non-issue to boot.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 20, 2024

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

man I do not care at all about these randoms and seeing the brief glimpse of kaminari really makes me wish we were spending all this time on deku's actual supporting cast and not fifteen iterations of The Person Who Said A Slightly Mean Thing About Him 100 Chapters Ago But Now Totally Gets It

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It was genuinely kind of hosed up and upsetting having Nana see her adult son physically abusing her grandson. That's some really heavy stuff, and I'm not sure if the text even accurately acknowledges how upsetting that would be for someone in Nana's position.

Edit: and to have it happen because of her own actions/choices, and with a son that (IIRC) she last knew as a young child before she died

it seems extremely extremely obvious we should've cut 10-20% of the lead up for more time with this alone. It's one of the most potentially actually interesting character beats in the entire series and because horikoshi won't engage with the world or characters he made and has no interest in the interior lives of women it just lands with a thud.

e: like the actual text will never explore the idea that nana pretty obviously simultaneously succeeded and failed re: her son, on her own terms, by both saving his life and materially contributing to the defeat of the baddest guy but also failing to build a world where her son would be cared for, let alone any observations that go beyond that surface level, and the few panels we get can't carry that.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 18, 2024

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I have to say I would find AFO gave shiggy his quirk extremely extremely bad and very underwhelming on a thematic level so I'm hoping this isn't going there despite all appearances

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think it would work to some extent from a "no child is born evil" angle (as long as you please ignore the toga in the corner) but I think for me it would be as much of a copout as literally reverting shigaraki to childhood in many respects

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

right, but her desire for blood parallels shigaraki's ostensible desire to destroy. if that's all just AFO brainwashing, she becomes basically our only example left of "my quirk made me kinda crazy in a socially inappropriate way," which imo fails to pay off a lot of what was interesting thematically about the league of villains and the "individuality" idea of quirks. "it is our social duty to rescue and reintegrate even people with violently antisocial tendencies, and to recognize how our society exacerbated their obvious issues" is much more interesting a note to end on than "don't, uh, don't let an evil dictator engineer generations of familial trauma as part of his long-term plan to rule japan and personally ruin the life of every AFO holder"

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 30, 2024

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

TheHan posted:

We also got to see All for Baby express clearly that he was still evil and still trying to kill people. no redemption!

Honestly I would've been down for "eri reverts them to children" idea if AFO had simply still been evil for no reason even while being raised lovingly and attentively. terrible on a thematic level sure but incredibly, incredibly funny

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

this absolutely unequivocally blows and is terrible. however i will still celebrate tail man doing literally anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"bakugo fought a baby" was, like most of MHA, far better as a meme or idea than it was in execution.

he didn't even kill the baby. pathetic.