Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

I thought it'd be neat to compare the pinnacle moment in ep 12 to the manga, because the composition ended up being very different, but the outcome was the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1gUutlHdkc

Horikoshi uses these amazing establishing frames, then moves at a breakneck pace between the frames, leaving the reader (and animators) to fill in a lot of the transitional movement.

I thought the anime did a great job with the Nomu fight, it went a lot quicker in the manga. Usually when an anime drags out a fight scene, it can get pretty tedious, but they still contained it to one episode, which is great.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that fight. Man, those Noumus must be tough if they gave him that much trouble, considering how much damage the fight with All for One did to the surrounding area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

So....What happens now? Is Deku being forced to quit being a hero? Is he no longer going back to the academy?

Now comes the Gran Torino mentoring arc where Deku learns that OFA can also enhance his body's natural healing if he can keep it activated while asleep.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I'm just glad we finally have a shonen protagonist whoose parents aren't (well, both) dead.

Is Jojo not a shonen?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm most interested in meeting Hakagure's family. Are they also invisible like her?

They go to talk to Hakagure's parents and there's just a blank plot of land among all the other houses.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I want to see Small Might

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was kinda hoping this would've been stretched out longer tbh. I was hoping that we'd get to see more home visits besides just Jirou as far as side characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still miffed that the teachers doing home visits wasn't extended, especially considering literally everyone let their kids come back.

At least they're not skimping on showing everyone's rooms now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like these characters, minus Mineta, so I feel pretty bad that I can't remember everyone's name despite having read the entire manga up to now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ruggington posted:

if I didn't read this thread I would have no clue what half of the characters names are but I love them all

Begemot posted:

I feel like I know at least one of everyone's names except tentacle boy. The guy whose room was literally nothing, with the weird hand mouth.

And of course the class B people besides Shinsou, the mind control dude, and Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu, for obvious reasons.

I'm way worse at it because someone will say Izuku and I'll be like

Some you just don't forget like Hagakure or Yaoyorozu but if someone says Momo I'm hosed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Personally I never saw Bakugou as a Sasuke-like, particularly once Todoroki started becoming more prominent. Thankfully he also deftly avoided that fate, as the title of the thread will tell you. This Manga Has A Lot Of Good Characters.

While I was still reading it for the first time, I saw Todoroki more as a Zuko than Sasuke, personally.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Somehow everyone defaults back to Vegeta when in reality Krillin existed before Vegeta.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 18, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

How long did Naruto even hang around Sasuke for anyways.

It seems really short.

They met, went on a few easy missions, went on a really hard mission, took part of an exam together and went their separate ways for separate training, and then Itachi happened and then Sasuke decided to leave.

You don't really see them hang around or spend time together just chillin'.

Bleach has the same issue.

It's why I've always preferred One Piece to the other two because you get the feeling that the Straw Hats are an actually tightly knit crew.

It helps that they live on the same boat.

Sasuke was Naruto's first kiss so that's why he's so obsessed with him.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Haha that's surprisingly appropos, except Todoroki's dad isn't as much as an rear end in a top hat.

He's an even worse father but including everything else yeah, he's better than Ozai. Granted, I only made that connection in the first place because of the eye scar. Again, first read opinions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Being better then a genocidal maniac is hardly a high bar to beat.

Well, I just mean comparing them both as parents first, because if you compare them completely then obvious Ozai is far worse but I dunno, it's kinda a tough call. Those training beatings Endeavor gave his son seemed a bit much and they were obviously constant and not a one time thing. But then again with Ozai you've got the burning and the constant belittlement and whatever happened it was that with his wife too.

Gyges posted:

Fire dads just suck all around. Unless they're dragons.

Iroh decided to be better eventually... After his son died. :sigh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Begemot posted:

To be clear the Zuko thing is mostly a joke, because it is funny that he has fire powers, an awful dad, and a burn scar in the exact same place. And the "same arc" is just him getting over his angst over his dad, basically. Todoroki had it easy and just solved it by someone shouting at him because this is still a shonen manga after all :v:

Yeah, it was mostly the same here, because I have the literary insight of a child- I see things and then I compare them to other things superficially- because I'm unlearned southern spawn of a North Carolinian and Alaskan education. I see a big blotchy scar on someone's face and go 'Zuko! :downs: ' like I'm looking at shapes in clouds.

Really, I don't really examine things much further than on a surface level most of the time because I'm not that intelligent. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

He already got over the fire side hate in the tournament arc and the arcs immediately following it; the lesson that Deku helped teach him is that he's his own person and he doesn't need to hate half of himself just because his father is a horrible poo poo. Deliberately not using his fire powers for good would be like One For All users not using their powers for good because they came from an evil dickhead.

It's just that it's really hard and requires a lot of training and practice to use heat and fire effectively in combat without seriously harming or killing your targets, which is distinctly unheroic. It's way easier to just freeze someone in place temporarily or make a wall of ice to restrain them. It says a lot about Endeavor's skills that he can maintain a position as the second best hero in the business after only All Might despite having a power that would easily cause a lot of nasty collateral damage or injury, come to think of it. I can't imagine a hero would be popular if they kept horribly burning and mangling the villains they fought.

Just like Advol did it. Fire handcuffs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Naruto's quality started to suffer about an episode into Boruto.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deku's quirk is that he's the protagonist instead of Ochako.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like that Jojo is like the multiverse for all mangas to connect with.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I think you're all being too hard on Mt. Lady. Sure her collateral damage can rack up, but we have to assume her ability to assess and assuage dangerous situations and keep a firm, tight hold on fine assets is what really draws her fans to her. She seems to be a well rounded hero overall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

She's going to learn how to use magic and then if someone kisses her she'll turn into a princess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Good point, I won't ever find girls cool and good ever again lest I be considered weird in the anime forum

Just don't be weird about it. Like thinking any of them are better than others.

Anyway, Mountain Lady is the best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who's the best girl in this manga and why is it Deku's mom?

Chaika x Chaika forever

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Being a joestar is like starring in your personal die hard movie.
Gender doesn't factor in, really

Yeah, being a Joestar means you can take a beating like a bulldozer. And up till Giorno you were also built like Gaston as well.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 31, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

He does, though? Yaoyorozu, Hagakure, and one other girl (Ashido?) fawning over him during the dorm room contest.

Edit: Ninja'd.

They're not crazy though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

He raises himself on top of it and kicks with both legs along with punching, he's like a kangaroo.

He uses the tail to hold himself upside down and then does karate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i hope this does not count as a complaint, but why does mineta have a giant steel diaper

is it a reference to some classic anime design or something

Yep

Bad Seafood posted:

Thank you for moving past Mineta.

Please do not revisit Mineta unless you have something to add beyond complaining about him or complaining about complaining about him.

Thank you.

Much like Loss.jpg, we will never fully move past it and heal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Somewhere out there, there is a magical quirk negating boy, and he lives a terribly sad life as an ostracised person, avoided by all.

:smith:

There was a kid like that in the X-Men movie where Jean Grey went bonkers for some reason. I didn't really know what anyone's backstory was enough to follow most of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The U.A not losing a single member is contrived and boring.

Strap in, it's this kind of manga. We should've seen it coming when All Might didn't explode in the process of stopping AFO.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blackheart posted:

That was me, sorry. I believed in All Might.

Good thing you did, I didn't, because I was out of it because I hadn't slept in two days and accidently believed in Helck instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

Why would you ever not believe in Helck, and Anne from management?

That was not specifically a time of duress in which they needed your energy!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

One female character so far. And she's under a rape threat in literally the first chapter. In an otherwise very promising series.

...this is going to be the new Berserk, isn't it? :sigh:

That's a pretty hard loving leap dude.

Is everything alright?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Eh Eraserhead's kind of close being an "underground" hero that works from the shadows and few know about

also dumb attempted rape aside I liked that first chapter

Yeah, aside from the bad parts, I also enjoyed that chapter.

Vengarr posted:

This is some hilarious pearl-clutching. I thought the chapter did a good job of illustrating real threats people might face, and why heroes are necessary in a world where everyone has a superpower. Sure it makes Pop Step look weak, but that's probably because she is. Gentleman, too.

Meanwhile Knuckle Duster might not even have a Quirk and he still kicked rear end. Winning fights and being a hero is about mentality and killer instinct.

oh boy, here we go with the ~virtue signaling~

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

......Horikoshi with the DEEP loving pull.

For people who don't get it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOwbcdZozQ

Just imagine, Loss.jpg is nearing a decade old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Remember when Josuke punched a guy a bunch of times? Yeah that was the most generic thing on planet Earth

Spring Heeled Jack did punching first anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hell, it was good enough writing that Digimon Frontier decided to do it.

Oh, so that was the Digimon series I always faintly remembered.

Anyway, it's good that animes where multiple people get to contribute and do cool things are coming up very easily for people to find. Personally, I'm kinda sick of 'here are your two important characters and the love interest who shouts the main character's name and does little else' being the theme of the show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, you're right. That was when Toga-as-Camie was impersonating Ochako, during the exam, right? Oh wait, that kinda means that she can shift seamlessly from one impersonation to another without having to revert back to her true shape! Spooky.

Just like The Thing. :aaaaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still think Jirou and Lucio make the best team.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still wanna know more about Dabi, because I still have no idea what his fire's difference is compared to Endeavor or Todoroki's is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nobody is Sasuke but Bakugou is Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radish posted:

Bakugou is better than Vegeta.

Pretty much all the kids are cool and the amount of detail put into their rooms was awesome.

Bakugou:

*Full of anger
    *Incredible ego
  • Constantly humbled
  • Resists learning the necessary lessons from those experiences
  • Spiky hair

Dunno man, the math seems to all be there.