Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ytlaya posted:

Not a lot seemed to happen this chapter, unfortunately, Hopefully it goes into some of the various concurrent battles next chapter.

To be fair, there are definitely some very good reasons to do things like that. While it's easy to come up with situations where it's harmful, it's just as easy to come up with ones where it can prevent a bunch of unnecessary violence/death. Having that punishment in place means that, at least in theory, people/law enforcement will generally only be willing to use firearms if they absolutely have no choice, and even though it sucks if they get some punishment for using them in a necessary situation, it sucks a lot less than someone getting shot/killed.

To put it another way, I'd rather 10 people get fired or something than 1 person get shot because someone was feeling trigger happy.

Oh, yeah, that's super right, I don't disagree with this at all. It's a good policy. Just people were making jokes about forcing people to not use their quirks in a deadly situation. There's a reason for it, and I felt like that reason should be noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

chaos rhames posted:

All Might got injured by a guy called Venom Chainsaw, iirc.

even in the fan translation he literally says 'like some chump like that could beat me' over the Venom Chainsaw question.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fabricated posted:

Still seems really out of character for a few people given the lessons learned so far. Just my humble opinion on the matter.

Not really.

Midoriya was established explicitly about not caring so much about the rules of heroism, as he does the spirit. Literally the line this chapter was the callback to chapter one - 'my body moved without thinking'. He's a Hero's Hero.

Ilda is going because he wants to keep everyone out of trouble - he'll probably happily sacrifice himself if poo poo goes bad, and thinks of himself as one of the smartest in the class.

Yaz has similar reasoning - she's smart, she's multicapable, she wants to make sure stuff happens without a hitch.

Todoroki is the only one whose reasoning is kind of shakey, but he's very sure of the whole 'we can get in and get out without big fights' idea. He also thinks of himself as the strongest member of the class, and also has a martyr complex.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 25, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hopeford posted:

If Bakugou's quirk extends at "can make a lot more explosive sweat if he's not focusing on actually setting it off" my one sincere hope is that one day he and Todoroki inexplicably replicate the ending to DMC3, only with finger guns instead.

Like Bakugou makes a poo poo ton of explosive sweat, Todoroki fires it off at whatever random enemy they have, both pose and say a one-liner.

I mean his suit is designed with the huge grenade cuffs because they let him store up his sweat for bigger explosions than he would be able to do on his own.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Vengarr posted:

Actually, I think Deku and Bakugou have the exact same goal. They both want to be the #1 hero. They both want to be All Might. It's just that they each only see half of what makes him All Might. There's a front and a back to being the Symbol of Peace.

Bakugou has the charisma and swagger of a hero that deters villains just from his presence, a guy capable of being a pillar of society, but he doesn't yet grasp the true nature of heroism. His efforts are hollow, and he's slowly coming to realize this. He's not just some cynical strength-seeker Meanwhile, Deku has the philosophical and moral underpinnings of a great hero, but he can't quite resolve himself yet to the sort of public facade needed to be the top hero. His heart is in the right place, but he hasn't wrapped his head around it yet.

If you combined the two, you'd have the perfect hero, a guy who walks the walk and talks the talk.

So what you're saying is that instead of Bakugou being the Sasuke, he's going to turn out to be the Vegeta, and we'll get Dekugou when they put on matching earrings, and become the True Symbol Of Peace?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So kinda unrelated, but I thought some people here might be interested, but I just posted a PbP recruit for Masks, Powered by the Apocalypse superhero game.

For setting I took a few cues from MHA. Though more from T&B

Figured I'd post here since I know some people don't go to Trad Games but might maybe be interested?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crabtree posted:

Personally I'd like Shigaraki to die and let someone else take over as heir apparent, preferably someone with a chip on their shoulder about Quirks, Heroes and Villains and just wants normal people only. Be a good threat to Deku and the entire academy's collective dream. But that's just my dumb idea.

That is the dumbest idea, when 99.9% of the population has quirks.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crabtree posted:

Personally I'd like Shigaraki to die and let someone else take over as heir apparent, preferably someone with a chip on their shoulder about Quirks, Heroes and Villains and just wants normal people only. Be a good threat to Deku and the entire academy's collective dream. But that's just my dumb idea.

Already said this is dumb, but you could spin this another way to make it sorta interesting - a villain who wants to free up use of quirks for everyone. gently caress needing a hero license to use your Quirk for things, you're born with these powers so you can use them for whatever [legal] things.

Since as is in universe any use of quirks is illegal for non heroes, be it for commuting, for work, etc.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's mentioned by No. 13 [you have to be a hero to use your quirk to do what he does, which is mostly 'clear debris'], it's mentioned in the first chapter/episode [The villain Giant Woman is fighting, apparently, was running late for work and trying to use his power to get to work faster or something], and I'm pretty sure it comes up at least one or two other times. Specifically it comes up that in society you are not supposed to freely use your powers like Ochako's, since if you did then you would beat every competitor for it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So tell me if I'm off with this reading

All For One Built a super quirk arm full of strength to beat All Might. This was actually mostly a feint, and was actually packed with an impact-reversing quirk, so he could throw All Might's big punch back at him, and make him take himself out. However, All Might instead was feinting with his beefy army, and turned it weak before they met fists, allowing his arm to basically be crumbled and destroyed, as he powered up his southpaw for a super strength left hook, surprising All For One?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think MHA feels pretty similar to books like Ms. Marvel and Nova. I definitely don't think that it's entirely different or that 'every' comic lacks the earnest-ness of this.

That said, I think better than any other trait of the manga is that none of the chapters really feel wasted. I have chapters I know I will skip if I ever decided to re-read One Piece, and tons I'd skip for Bleach and Naruto, and many I'd skip for... everything else. But MHA has good things in every chapter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silver2195 posted:

Isn't Magneto Roma?

Magneto is jewish, he later had a kid with a Roma woman, who gave birth to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Except then Scarlet Witch got so mad at magneto that she warped reality so now they're not actually his kids anymore.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ConanThe3rd posted:

The idea of "WHO IS THOR NOW?!" ran thin well before they answered it and not particularly well. A lot of the story stuff was a lot of Sinfest tier "Don't need no man" guff (and a lot of it was cringe inducing) and all in all it did nothing but assume having a female Thor alone was enough to put bums on seats.

That and [unsolicited opinions on Israel?!]. Jesus. Christ.

You're dumb as hell, Thor got great reviews, people enjoyed the poo poo out of it, and it's still going currently, so thanks for getting literally everything wrong about this.

Go back to Reddit to be mad about these new feeeemale starring comics, please.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There is no traitor. One if the kids just takes too many snapchats for his/her Story and Shigaraki follows it, snd finds them with it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

TriffTshngo posted:

To me all those things about his design just made him come across like that much more of a hardcore representation of a Golden Age comic hero. I never once took the shadowed eyes or perma-smile to be anything other than a visual metaphor for how he was a larger than life persona not meant to be compared to an average hero when in that form. He represented the idea of heroism more than anything else.

Yeah I looked at his design and his role in chapter 1 and literally nothing you could say would have convinced me he wasn't meant to be a genuine Super Hero, who cared about people. He didnt hit any villainous seeming flags to me, just goofy heroic ones.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I took it as 'you can technically earn it this year, but most people take a few tries to get it. But since we lost the symbol of peace and you guys have been attacked a dozen times it seems, you definitely need to get it.'

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like Deku, he is a good kid. He sees someone he knows is not his friend and is trying to use his friend's form to get him, and his first thought is 'well it is not my friend, so they may get seriously hurt if they fall'. He doesn't even think about just hitting her tags while he's carrying her away or anything, or when she's hiding behind him. He just didn't want her to get hurt.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Eraserheads power actually describes how Eraserheads power works. Some powers are on/off, and some are permanent transformations. Eraserhead was not permanently transformed into a quirk negating boy. He has quirk negating eye beams. Just like Bakugou can not explode when he chooses to. Even when he is sweating.

Edit: Otherwise he would be a terrible teacher, since none of the kida would have been able to do any of their quirk stuff while he was watching over them.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 12, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Everyone is All Might.

Deku is All Might, who always saves everyone.

Bakugou is All Might, who never loses to the bad guys.

Kirishima is All Might, who never backs down.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dragonatrix posted:

I like how in hindsight him being a vile piece of poo poo was indicated by his design itself too. Sure, he looks cool but he also looks pretty drat evil. Not quite to the extent most of the actual villains have, but so far everyone who has a knee-jerky "yeah they're kinda evil" design has been. Likewise, there hasn't really been a villain who doesn't look the part.

Uh did you forget Ectoplasm the teacher? He looks evil as could be, and is super cool.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Endeavor is Bakugou.

No, seriously: into heroing to be number one, thinks power and being unbeatable is the most important part of being a hero, shows casual disdain for everyone who isn't themselves, is more than willing to play the bad guy because they are bad guys.

The difference is instead of a one sided rivalry on Endeavors side, Bakugou has a real rival in both Midoriya and Todoroki. He respects them, and he is learning to be a better person through Midoriya and All Might.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Suneater is cool and good and I liked this week's chapter. Go Suneater, go, have some drive and passion, believe in yourself.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fabricated posted:

Then don't do a story like Eri's? Like I'm not even sure if whatever Overhaul does to Eri even hurts. I guess it leaves scars despite Overhaul being able to restore people perfectly? How? We don't loving know because nothing about it was explained or shown.

Guy, you are literally saying you want to read panels of a small child being tortured, where it's explicitly shown how terrified and hurt she is. You literally want Graphic Explicit Torture of a Small Child, because you don't believe that 'small child quakes and cries and is desperate for anything not Overhaul' isn't believable enough to make you feel like he hurts her, and justify disliking Overhaul?

That's kinda weird.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 1, 2017

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MonsterEnvy posted:

I enjoyed this stuff.

Same. I really got pumped with this chapter. The fact that Overhaul is all 'if you keep holding her, you will be erased from her quirk. Only I can stop it', and Dekus answer is 'well if I keep breaking every single bit of my body, she won't be able to regress me any further, will she' without any fear of the pain or of potentially dying, because he Will Not Let Go is cool.

Edit: I seriously don't think there's any better time for him to go 100% than this. Him going 100% to defeat an enemy would make him the strongest and beat a strong bad guy. Him going beyond his safe point so he never lets Eri get hurt or feel scared of hurting him is so much more evocative of heroism than just beating a bad guy.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 22, 2017

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

dogsicle posted:

how about considerably later in the series? like in a final battle against shigaraki where it would feel particularly climactic and actually earned

Okay, but this gives you a preview of what is to come, and is obviously not going to be the new status quo. It's him going beyond when pushed to to save innocents. That's way more important to what One for All is, compared to it being used for a climactic battle.

The battle being secondary to the defense of an innocent is a key point in this.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rappa, Suneater, Lemillion, and Fatgum all are awesome and good.

The other villains are kind of forgettable, but the VA has been really cool in this arc. I am disappointed in the showing of the other Big Three member whose name I can't even remember.

Over all I like the arc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rand Brittain posted:

Toning down Mineta's horniness is the same as not using him at all, because being terrible is basically his only character trait.

...so yes, please do that.

Early on he was also a coward who was the only one who kinda reacted to 'attempted murder by villains' in a way other than 'instantly ready to fight

He could make a useful comparison to everyone else if they focused to how everyman he is.

Instead he is just a creep.