Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It looks to me each assistant drew their own avatar for that page.

tlarn posted:

"He just looks like a weirdly jolly old man." And I like All Might even more. :allears:
His editor and friend do not understand the pure magnificence of his design. :colbert:

(Although the friend's comment is pretty spot-on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's a site called, appropriately enough, mangaupdates.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One goofy thing with ironboy:

鉄哲徹轍
Only the first one is iron, the rest are just whatever sounded the same.

I wonder if he hates his parents for it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tollymain posted:

yaoyorozu must be fit as heck if she got a decent ranking with another student literally glued to her

Well she was the other scholarship entry.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think his mom made it based on sketches he'd made.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Horikoshi has a real gift for facial expressions.

I wonder if gadget girl's eyes are related to her quirk. Some sort of super-precision or such.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pinegala posted:

the "translator" notes are the worst cherrypicked examples

What exactly is the problem with them?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think some of their clothing and such had UA emblazoned on them? Since it's homophone with Yuuei it works well as a contraction (I'm sure I used the wrong word there).

Given that, they wouldn't have much choice in localizing the name without having to do awkward reeditings of the art itself.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Tsuyu wants everyone to call her by her first name.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Valentine's, of course. It's fun to see these characters doing random stuff.

(Apparently Momo's holding seaweed)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://bato.to/read/_/304574/boku-no-hero-academia_ch30_by_fallen-angels/3

New chapter and lots of last minute action.

Glad to see Icy Hot is self-aware enough to realize he hosed up with his self-imposed promise.

Haha Kaminari's herptalk. :3:

Endeavor's facial hair is on the next level.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 16, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
More importantly they manage to look unique without falling into grotesquely exaggerated features. At least half of Oda's characters are wildly off the wall (which I must admit works in OP since it's off the wall in general).

If anything, I'd say Arakawa with FMA and Silver Spoon is a better example, by managing to make clearly identifiable characters without weird proportions, anime hair or particularly unique clothing. Even characters with literally identical features (Ling & Greed, Father & Hohenheim) are easy to tell apart.

Naoki Urasawa from Monster is pretty good at it, as well.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm pretty sure Deku is perfectly aware he's barely hanging on, but he hasn't had the time to improve by any significant margins. That's why he keeps saying he needs to work twice as hard just to catch up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Shinsou was destined to lose because his power depends on the one thing a shonen cannot not do. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure B is general studies.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Huh, totally forgot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
At least he apologized.

I really like how everyone is so chill.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The brick fight was manly as gently caress.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I get that it's the joke but you'd think in a world of quirks they'd figure something out. I mean, heck, they've got two invisi-people in the same grade and who knows how more elsewhere.

Tooru's pretty great cause of how energetic and hyped up she is about pretty much everything.

There's only one invisi-person. The other might be missing a head or something (the speech bubble came from inside the neck hole)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This manga is getting color pages super often, it's popular as hell.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mindblast posted:

Are the Chinese scans found in the regular places? I'm gonna make an exception and hope the pages mostly explain themselves.
I'd say they do. And yes.

Neeksy posted:

I really hope that "Smaaaaaash" panel is a Mother-series reference.
He's been using Smash for ages dude. (And p sure it's not)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This level of investment and analysis proves Hero Academia is a Good Manga.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hopeford posted:

I know that "protagonist really loving never gives up" is like the clichest of cliches, but there's something in this manga that really makes the protagonist likable when he goes full stubborn. I don't know, this might be just me but I just think it's done really well here. Probably helps a lot that Deku isn't just a loud an obnoxious kid. I think it might also be the fact that this manga really, really sells how he has to work for his wins as opposed to just screaming he won't give up.

Hero Academia is not the most original of mangas, but the cliches it uses it uses drat well.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's out.
http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/40

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

The face of pure satisfaction.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's an anon in /a/'s HA threads that translates them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And so the symbol of peace becomes even more relevant.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Speaking of Navelgun, I don't think if anybody mentioned it here but the first translation of his power was wrong. If he overuses his laser his stomach won't collapse, he just gets an acute case of the runs.

Yup. :haw:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In most cases it'd need sustained overuse to leave long-lasting harm. Yes, Bakugou, Electrodude, Icyhot, Grapes, Uraraka and Navelgun's powers all have the potential for self-harm (frostbite or burns in Icyhot's case, just plain old burns for Bakugou), but it's gonna take some good effort to get there. The whole 'quirks are another bodily function' thing applies here: You can create some severe harm to yourself by pushing your body to the limit for a long time (see: every high-performance athlete ever), but it's gonna take months or years.

Meanwhile Deku's quirk can leave long-lasting harm within the span of a few minutes.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 30, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I love how he kicked the door open all action hero-like even though he thought there was nobody to witness it. :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I assume the slow starter phrase simply means that since he's not already sweating due to the heat he has to build it up through exercise.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They're from the same site.

The good translations will come later.

(Welcome to the world of speedscans)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Midoriya being really strong/fit, one thing that always seemed kind of odd to me was how he placed last in Eraserhead's tests during their first class. It seems like he would have been at least on par with the other students, particularly considering that he did use his quirk to excel in one of the events. At the very least, it certainly makes no sense for him to have placed below grape boy.

Dude was almost crippled with pain after breaking his finger. That tends to affect your performance.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh man he's so angry. :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I bet he's gonna be modeled after proto-Deku from the one-shot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
MHA? It's super popular man, topping out charts and whatnot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Stain didn't say anything about All Might, right? Since he would be the kinda guy that'd fit his requirements.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if the translation was correct or not but in Stain's first appearance he rants about all these fake heroes and that the only one worthy to take him down would be All Might.

Right, I forgot about that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FYI the linked chapter got removed. V2 here: http://bato.to/read/_/330529/boku-no-hero-academia_ch35.5--v2-_by_fallen-angels/1
As far as I can tell the only difference is Hatsume's likes. Chocolate and steampunk.

Oh, and since people started with the pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno, for all their faults most of the popular manga artists are fairly good at the anatomy thing (anime stylization/exaggeration aside)