Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ytlaya posted:

Is the implication here that Bakugou exploded his own heart?

I think we're beyond implication, here, like there's literally a shot in the chapter of his heart exploding.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

At first I thought that Shigaraki's face was burned from Suneater's attack, but apparently that was there before. So his attack did literally nothing? It's hard to tell from the art. Mirio punched him right before it hit or something? Hard to tell what's going on.

Oh, it's easy to miss the panel with that (it's sort of narrow and sandwiched between other panels).

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, the art's really all over the place and hard to follow.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nessus posted:

I have heard this said a bunch of times but it feels really dubious to me, given that One Piece is way more loud and proud about demonstrating "the government loving SUCKS" while also featuring literal criminals as the protagonists, explicitly against the slave-holding tyranny of the World Government.

What I have heard is that Shonen Jump doesn't want any more ultra-super-long manga series,

Feeling like these two things might have something to do with each other.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am pretty sure it was explicitly stated that she can't create anything organic.

The distinction between organic and synthetic doesn't really exist when you get down to a molecular level, it'd probably make more sense to say that she can't create anything that's alive.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I am literally responding to people's arguments so...?

Two posts back in this chain you responded to somebody pointing out that it's bad when stories undermine themselves in order to create pointlessly high stakes because then the latter ends up not actually having any tension, and you chose to interpret this as criticizing how "realistic" a story may or may not be.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Except I was responding to the people complaing about realism, not narrative tension. You can tell by how the responses are all about that.

Your responses are about that. Everyone else talking to you is aware of what is actually being said, here.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Also "we can't hurt Buu because he is made out of sentient goo" is way more fun than "we can't hurt Tomura because he is made out of several very large fingers"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Delphisage posted:

Better question: why didn't Jiraiya teach Naruto anything during the two years he was training with him so Naruto would have moves that didn't endanger his body to utilize?

Maybe nobody thought that they had to explain that your new technique where you punch someone really hard with a hand grenade was not a good idea.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Naruto only came up with the Rasenshuriken after the timeskip, iirc.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hot prediction incoming but this is all probably gonna still suck rear end on a reread.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

“They keep changing what they want,” they say, about a thread that has been unilateral in the specificity of it’s complaints for months,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

cool kids inc. posted:

Or, wacky notion, I'm posting on app and it's a pain in the rear end to do so

If it's a pain in the rear end to post, have I got the life hack for you

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

imma google it

shouldn’t have done that!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Staltran posted:

AFO wasn't in a quirk suppression chamber, he was in a machine guns pointed at your head with your brain activity monitored so they blow your brains out if you ever try to activate a quirk chamber.

If that would work then why doesn’t someone just shoot AfO with a gun. “Oh no Shiggy big finger tough body-“ BANG story over

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Worth noting it’s directed by the guy who did the Bleach movie so it’s not quite what a lot of people here are probably thinking

The Netflix model of adaptation - that is to say, good actors and production doing their best with atrocious writing - might actually be a good fit for MHA. It's not like the writing can get that much worse.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I bet he could do it alone if he believed in himself.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dabi turning into ash, but comes back as a burning ghost.

I think it would actually have been a neat twist for Dabi's quirk to not be "fire that hurts his human body" but for it to turn out that he is the fire and his body is incidental.

But now it's been too long and I just don't want him to be there anymore.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

You've done it Hori, you brought back the only 2 characters I still liked and it rocks. Don't gently caress this up

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Dabi is basically a skeleton at this point. How is he alive?

Hot take; Dabi is the fire. All the meat is superfluous.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

A lot of big name series generally also have art assistants that are trained by the main author to be able to fill in for background stuff and touch-ups in their style, to lessen the strain on them, from what I understand.

The one exception to this that I'm aware of is Eiichiro Oda, who does everything himself.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

My brain calls to mind [spoiler of an aspect of the ending of a popular anime series from the 00s] Fullmetal Alchemist as an example, but also, I'm not sure if it counts.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

considering the artist's crimes

I don't know the facts about this and yet I have to assume it's awful sex crimes.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

god loving drat it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nephthys posted:

He needs to get to Deku and Shigaraki for the simple narrative reason that it hasn't been explained why he's trying to get there yet.

He needs to get there so Deku can punch a baby harder than anything has ever been punched before.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Continues to be hosed up that the MHA spinoff was so much better than MHA.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Not to defend the dude's writing, but "introduce a broad cast of interesting but ultimately underutilized characters" seems to be a successful blueprint in the genre.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

I still remember people citing that as one of the most emotionally powerful moments in the series and maybe most of shonen.

Anime fans are dumb.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Calling it now, the Uraraka that got taken away on the helicopter is actually Toga and the real Uraraka is going to show up to the final battle to help Deku.

I had assumed this was what happened.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

Very dragonball z style "haha you fool, I actually had even more hidden power!"

People keep saying stuff like this as though it isn't a fact that Dragon Ball tended to handle this kind of thing pretty well.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mymla posted:

???
Have you *seen* freeza?

I have. He looks really cool, imo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Gruckles posted:

Despite childhood memories of Toonami constantly restarting the show and Freeza seeming like unending bullshit, the pacing is actually pretty brisk. They know Freeza can transform before the fight starts, and he says early on, "btw I have 2 more transformations besides this first one." He doesn't just unexpectedly keep pulling new powerups out of his rear end forever.
The fight against him also ended in half the time this battle with Shigaraki/AFO has been going on.

this (and Endorph's post), but also sorry but if you read/watched Dragon Ball up to that point and thought that the main antagonist of a big part of the story was going to lose to Krillin and Gohan while Goku took a nap then I don't know what to tell you

"Freeza didn't lose to Piccolo because he turned into H.R Giger" is awesome, "Shigaraki can't be Punched Hard because he has too many hands or whatever" is not

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That's literally what happened to Vegeta.

I will not stand for this disrespect of Yajirobe

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Is there a single shonen manga to anime adaptation that has good pacing? Honest question, I haven't seen a lot of the big names.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

There is no case for saying the MHA anime has bad pacing. It's extremely to the point without feeling rushed.

Okay but when was the last time you watched something that wasn't anime

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Deku's early acts of reckless self-harm were bad because he was doing it to win at gym glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Skycrawler...!