Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It was genuinely kind of hosed up and upsetting having Nana see her adult son physically abusing her grandson. That's some really heavy stuff, and I'm not sure if the text even accurately acknowledges how upsetting that would be for someone in Nana's position.

Edit: and to have it happen because of her own actions/choices, and with a son that (IIRC) she last knew as a young child before she died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Positive thoughts: the cover page art is super dope. Sugar man also looks pretty badass here for maybe the first time.

Some other thoughts: I genuinely wonder if Shigaraki has half of a copied Overhaul quirk because Horikoshi realized too late that Overhaul’s quirk is literally just a better version of Shigaraki’s. It really doesn’t make sense that AfO would be aware of such an awesome quirk and not decide to also mentor Overhaul, in fact allowing him to fall under sway of a rival crime guy.

Overhaul's quirk is insanely busted in general. Ridiculously overpowered quirk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Also why Vigilantes is good tbh. Koichi's quirk was a very middling meh quirk that would have been only a fun party trick until he decided to train it heavily.

This isn't really true. Even at the very start of the series, Koichi's quirk was "a better version of the top hero Ingenium's." It was always an extremely strong movement quirk.

Gruckles posted:

Despite childhood memories of Toonami constantly restarting the show and Freeza seeming like unending bullshit, the pacing is actually pretty brisk. They know Freeza can transform before the fight starts, and he says early on, "btw I have 2 more transformations besides this first one." He doesn't just unexpectedly keep pulling new powerups out of his rear end forever.
The fight against him also ended in half the time this battle with Shigaraki/AFO has been going on.

It's important to note that DBZ's manga pacing is radically better than its anime pacing.

And the manga is the best comparison, since we're talking about the MHA manga.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 11, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Neito posted:

I know this is supposed to be the big drat heroes moment, but every character dragged out for this has been gone so long that there's no emotion to it anymore. Like, I'm still reading cus I still honestly hope the author can pull this out in the end, and I don't want my contribution to this thread every week to just be "huh that sucked", but like.... it just felt like we were never given enough time with the characters as anything buck side stories to Deku that this moment feels like it's trying to cash in on something it never earned.

The next chapter begins with like half of these people getting instantly murked.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I had trouble visually following the action parts of this chapter. Shigaraki did...A Thing, and then a bunch of heroes did Another Thing to divert the attack.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nephthys posted:

I think the story had enough to justify Deku's decision since it turned out that he really couldn't beat Shigaraki in a straight fight, so it didn't feel like Deku was risking everything to save Shigaraki so much as saving Shigaraki was the option left to win.

Yeah, this at least seems to be the case. It seems like giving OfA to AfO/Shigaraki was necessary to make him beatable, since it caused his body to break down (even if it feels kinda silly for an ultrapowerful guy with super-regeneration to not be able to handle OfA). While OfA hosed up Deku early on, he was still fixable, and AfO/Shigaraki's regeneration is like 1000x as strong as Healing Girl's (or whatever her name was).

Though that still has the issue of making Deku's "choice" to try and save Shigaraki not really a choice, since there wasn't any "just choose to beat/kill him normally" option - he was effectively forced into giving him OfA.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kild posted:

yep. feels like naruto ending but we don't even have a bakugo vs deku fight for reasons

Naruto at least had the genuinely funny thing of Naruto using the reverse-harem jutsu on Kaguya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, say what you will about Sasuke, but the guy had an extremely hosed up childhood, even compared with his child soldier peers. Bakugou...was literally just some kid who was a bully/rear end in a top hat.