Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bwee
good thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Cunty

16th century Chinese physician Li Shizhen described using fresh or fermented fecal products, also known as “yellow soup”, to treat severe diarrhea, fever, pain and constipation.
Yellow Soup, also referred to as clostridium difficile bacterial colonic introduction, is a slurry or "smoothie" of fecal material (aka poop) obtained from an intestinally-healthy donor and administered through enema or other colonic introduction. Early documentation indicates that initial forms of treatment were inspired by gastronomically impaired Indian elephants who were observed anally entering the rectums of healthy elephants with their trunks and devouring the bacterially balanced manure found therein.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
jfc thank god for yogurt

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

City of Glompton

WD-40 posted:

16th century Chinese physician Li Shizhen described using fresh or fermented fecal products, also known as “yellow soup”, to treat severe diarrhea, fever, pain and constipation.
Yellow Soup, also referred to as clostridium difficile bacterial colonic introduction, is a slurry or "smoothie" of fecal material (aka poop) obtained from an intestinally-healthy donor and administered through enema or other colonic introduction. Early documentation indicates that initial forms of treatment were inspired by gastronomically impaired Indian elephants who were observed anally entering the rectums of healthy elephants with their trunks and devouring the bacterially balanced manure found therein.

love when history repeats itself, this is the hot "new" treatment for intestinal issues etc

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
anna, do you take uncle phil to be your lawfully wedded husband?
:stonk:

thewizardofshoe

Monarchies rule, why did they ever go away?

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the scion of the spanish habsburgs (he drooled constantly and couldnt chew)

Lil Cunty

Maypoles are generally regarded as phallic symbols celebrating the arrival of the Anglo-Saxon season of Spring. What most people don't realize is the ribbons that are traditionally wrapped around the maypole actually harken back to the days when human sacrifices were offered to local Druidic fertility gods. Original maypoles were actually rough-hewn staffs erected after victorious battles. Prisoners of war were ritualistically disemboweled, whereafter their colons were attached to the top of the maypole via twine or nails, and the victim was led around the maypole by naturalist priests until they fell bled out and perished.

lol?

Lil Cunty

Nazi Germany notoriously experimented on detained Jewish and Polish twins, subjecting test victims to experimentation ranging from eye pigmention to intentional conjoinism. Famed conjoined twins Chang and Eng Bunker, deceased 1874, would most likely have been thoroughly disgusted by these medical atrocities, but unfortunately died 55 years before WWII began and were unable to express their outrage.

ulvir

this is pretty much the case of literally every monarch in europe to this day

ulvir

our current king found his wife through the non-royal bourgeoisie though, and our crown prince even went so far as to wed a pleb (with a child from a former relationship)

tao of lmao

Bwee posted:

good thread

GODS NOT REAL

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

WD-40 posted:

Serious post but there's promising research in the treatment of clostridium difficile. Healthy fecal matter is introduced via enema into patients suffering from the disease and clostridium is gone within forty eight hours. so yeah this actually works!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Gushing Granny posted:

Serious post but there's promising research in the treatment of clostridium difficile. Healthy fecal matter is introduced via enema into patients suffering from the disease and clostridium is gone within forty eight hours. so yeah this actually works!

will they have to synthesize the poopy bugs for fda approval?

cis_eraser_420

poo poo charlie yo family tree looks like a ball of twine, drat

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

kissin' cousins. and aunts and uncles.

alnilam

WD-40 posted:

Nazi Germany notoriously experimented on detained Jewish and Polish twins, subjecting test victims to experimentation ranging from eye pigmention to intentional conjoinism. Famed conjoined twins Chang and Eng Bunker, deceased 1874, would most likely have been thoroughly disgusted by these medical atrocities, but unfortunately died 55 years before WWII began and were unable to express their outrage.

Chang and Eng were conjoined by a liver, it was discovered after their death, which is interesting cause Chang was a drunk (and an rear end in a top hat, and Eng was very quiet and nice).

They both had separate wives, and spent 1 week at one household, where that person is "in charge" for the week and the other tried to keep "out of the way."
Yes, they had sex with their wives during their respective weeks of being in charge.

e: written from memory so i may have which was teh drunk rear end in a top hat mixed up

also doctors said "we could probably separate you" and they didn't want to

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I am for real a historian and nobody knows about what I am about to write here because I am literally the first person to study it since it happened 350 years ago and I haven't published anything yet, but I learned to read 17th century Dutch and dug through the New York State archives and found this, so take my word for it.

New Amsterdam was conquered by the English in 1664 who made it New York, but the Dutch managed to retain de facto power because they controlled the economy, and 10 years later a renegade Dutch fleet invaded New York without orders to do so with the help of the Dutch people there and appointed a lunatic named Anthony Colve as governor. Colve brought back the Dutch system of government and then went completely insane, getting super paranoid, forcing everyone to work like slaves to build defenses around the city, and installing a North Korean style Militaristic Dutch regime. If you were a soldier late to work he cut your hand off, if you were asleep on duty he cut you in half. If you had any money you had to give it to him. If he didn't like your house, he demolished it. If you wanted to leave the city or have a friend stay over you were first interrogated by his cronies, and then denied. The henchmen he appointed as police were drunks that went around the city attacking people with swords and never being prosecuted. When a messenger was sent to the city to say that it was given to the English by treaty, he strung up the messenger for 3 days and wrote "troublemaker" on his chest and had people pelt him with rotten food and stones, and then banned him from the city forever under penalty of death. The city council could not tame him. He was a madman, and devastated the city, and then suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth and the historical record, and control of the city reverted to the English as was ordained by treaties made in Europe. The New English rulers were super afraid and lax with their Dutch subjects, and the Dutch remained powerful in New York for nearly a century afterwards, spawning Roosevelts and Vanderbilts and Van Burens. I have not been able to find any information about Colve before or after his rule as governor; it seems that people made an effort to erase him from history, and it (almost) worked. But I've dug up these documents and it now falls on me to tell the world of this story.

This is probably the wrong place to post this.

quote:

2. Whosoever shall have uttered any words tending to sedition, mutiny or disobedience, or heard them uttered without making them known to his officer, shall suffer death.
3. Whosoever shall go further than cannon range from the garrison, without his officer's consent, shall undergo corporal punishment.
4. Whosoever neglects his guard or any duty committed to him, shall suffer death, and whosoever neglects his parade, his watch shall be assigned to another and he shall be seated
three hours on the wooden horse and nevertheless he must stand his guard.
5. Any soldier found asleep on his post or whilst standing sentry shall be flogged without mercy ; in like manner the soldier shall be punished who will leave his post either by night or by day.
6. Whosoever shall absent himself from his guard-house, without his corporal's permission,
shall suffer corporal punishment.
7. Whosoever smites another with sheathed sword, stick, stone or otherwise and blood
flows, shall suffer loss of hand.
8. Whosoever in a quarrel or fight shall call his comrade to help him, shall be hanged
and strangled.
9. Whosoever shall be found at night out of the Fort without his Captain's permission, shall
suffer corporal punishment.
10. Whoso challenges to fight shall be subject to corporal punishment ; in like manner shall be punished the corporal, sergeant or other officer commanding the guard, if he be cognizant
thereof and doth not hinder it.
11. Whoso enters or leaves the Fort by any other way than through the ordinary gate, shall be hanged and strangled.
12. The soldier who shall refuse to obey the orders of his officer or others in command over
him, shall suffer corporal punishment; in like manner shall be punished whoso disobeys any
order communicated by beat of drum.
13. Whosoever shall be found drunk on guard shall be broken and expelled the company.
Item, if any man shall commit any evil or forbidden act when drunk, he shall not be excused on that account, but therefore be punished the more severely.
14. The soldier who resists his officer or commander shall suffer death.

twoday fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 16, 2014

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

tao of lmao

that's pretty cool

Lil Cunty

drat

ty crap

ty landy

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
the devil gotta party sometimes :twisted: COLVE FOR IK 2015

tao of lmao

twoday posted:

2. Whosoever shall have uttered any words tending to sedition, mutiny or disobedience, or heard them uttered without making them known to his officer, shall suffer death.
3. Whosoever shall go further than cannon range from the garrison, without his officer's consent, shall undergo corporal punishment.
4. Whosoever neglects his guard or any duty committed to him, shall suffer death, and whosoever neglects his parade, his watch shall be assigned to another and he shall be seated
three hours on the wooden horse and nevertheless he must stand his guard.
5. Any soldier found asleep on his post or whilst standing sentry shall be flogged without mercy ; in like manner the soldier shall be punished who will leave his post either by night or by day.
6. Whosoever shall absent himself from his guard-house, without his corporal's permission,
shall suffer corporal punishment.
7. Whosoever smites another with sheathed sword, stick, stone or otherwise and blood
flows, shall suffer loss of hand.
8. Whosoever in a quarrel or fight shall call his comrade to help him, shall be hanged
and strangled.
9. Whosoever shall be found at night out of the Fort without his Captain's permission, shall
suffer corporal punishment.
10. Whoso challenges to fight shall be subject to corporal punishment ; in like manner shall be punished the corporal, sergeant or other officer commanding the guard, if he be cognizant
thereof and doth not hinder it.
11. Whoso enters or leaves the Fort by any other way than through the ordinary gate, shall be hanged and strangled.
12. The soldier who shall refuse to obey the orders of his officer or others in command over
him, shall suffer corporal punishment; in like manner shall be punished whoso disobeys any
order communicated by beat of drum.
13. Whosoever shall be found drunk on guard shall be broken and expelled the company.
Item, if any man shall commit any evil or forbidden act when drunk, he shall not be excused on that account, but therefore be punished the more severely.
14. The soldier who resists his officer or commander shall suffer death.

can someone make these the byob rules please?

dogcrash truther

twoday posted:

I am for real a historian and nobody knows about what I am about to write here because I am literally the first person to study it since it happened 350 years ago and I haven't published anything yet, but I learned to read 17th century Dutch and dug through the New York State archives and found this, so take my word for it.

New Amsterdam was conquered by the English in 1664 who made it New York, but the Dutch managed to retain de facto power because they controlled the economy, and 10 years later a renegade Dutch fleet invaded New York without orders to do so with the help of the Dutch people there and appointed a lunatic named Anthony Colve as governor. Colve brought back the Dutch system of government and then went completely insane, getting super paranoid, forcing everyone to work like slaves to build defenses around the city, and installing a North Korean style Militaristic Dutch regime. If you were a soldier late to work he cut your hand off, if you were asleep on duty he cut you in half. If you had any money you had to give it to him. If he didn't like your house, he demolished it. If you wanted to leave the city or have a friend stay over you were first interrogated by his cronies, and then denied. The henchmen he appointed as police were drunks that went around the city attacking people with swords and never being prosecuted. When a messenger was sent to the city to say that it was given to the English by treaty, he strung up the messenger for 3 days and wrote "troublemaker" on his chest and had people pelt him with rotten food and stones, and then banned him from the city forever under penalty of death. The city council could not tame him. He was a madman, and devastated the city, and then suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth and the historical record, and control of the city reverted to the English as was ordained by treaties made in Europe. The New English rulers were super afraid and lax with their Dutch subjects, and the Dutch remained powerful in New York for nearly a century afterwards, spawning Roosevelts and Vanderbilts and Van Burens. I have not been able to find any information about Colve before or after his rule as governor; it seems that people made an effort to erase him from history, and it (almost) worked. But I've dug up these documents and it now falls on me to tell the world of this story.

This is probably the wrong place to post this.

This is cool as hell

dogcrash truther
I'm thinking Escape from New York, 17th century style

twoday

Hmm ok, not the reaction I was expecting in BYOB, but ok, cool, here, have a random edict from Colve where he gives 24 hours to evict everyone from the city who is not loyal to him:

Anthony Colve, Governor of New Orange posted:

"Whereas it is found that many strangers are daily passing in and out this city of New
Orange, without giving any account of themselves or their business, or whence they come or whither they go, which at this conjuncture of time ought no wise be tolerated nor allowed in a well governed city. In order then to prevent and obviate the same in future, We, the Commanders and Hon*"'* Council of War of this our newly recovered Province of New
Netherland, do order and direct, that all strangers who have not taken the oath of allegiance nor
obtained any license from us, shall depart within 24 hours
after the publication hereof, from
this city and its jurisdiction, and that from this time forward no one but our faithful subjects only shall presume to enter this city of New Orange until they have previously obtained our
license to that effect, on pain and penalty to ail those who shall be found within this city and
its jurisdiction, contravening this our order, of being considered enemies of our State, and, consequently, treated as spies and disturbers of its public peace.
And that this, our
order, may be more effectually enforced, we have to interdict and forbid all inhabitants of this city of New Orange, in their houses to entertain, lodge or give beds to any strangers or outside people of what Nation soever they may be, before furnishing the names of those
strangers and outside people, and of the places of their abode, to the Schout of this city before the going down of the sun, under a fine of six hundred guilders (an enourmous amount of money), in Beaver pelts, for each person
that will by them be entertained contrary to this our order
, and in addition, according to the circumstances of the case to be arbitrarily punished as an example to others ; and the Officer of this city is further required and charged to pay strict attention that this our order be
executed according to its tenor, and to deliver to the Officer in the Fort, every evening
before drum-beat, the names of the outside people with which he will be furnished. Let every one be warned hereby and take heed of damage. Dated Fort William Hendrick, September 11th, 1673."

Also he renamed the city New Orange, which is pretty cool

New Amsterdam > New York > New Orange > New York

twoday fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 16, 2014

The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

twoday

nevermind, Charles II of Spain is gross
"Charles did not learn to speak until the age of four nor to walk until eight, and was treated as virtually an infant until he was ten years old."

twoday fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 16, 2014

Lil Cunty

drat dude bad enough theyre cleaning you out on guilders but theyre making you go down to the beaver exchange for pelts too

can you imagine how long it would take to catch 600 beavers

ty crap

ty landy

Lil Cunty

im assuming a 1:1 exchange rate between guilders and beavers

ty crap

ty landy

twoday

8 guilders per beaver then. Still, you have to kill 75 beavers, or try to talk indians into doing that for you even though you are a drunk (everyone there was a drunk) and have nothing to offer them because you want to keep what few european goods you have for yourself. Also, you don't know how to trap beavers and the Indians hate you and have been at war with you for 20 years.

City of Glompton

WD-40 posted:

drat dude bad enough theyre cleaning you out on guilders but theyre making you go down to the beaver exchange for pelts too

can you imagine how long it would take to catch 600 beavers

twoday posted:

8 guilders per beaver then. Still, you have to kill 75 beavers, or try to talk indians into doing that for you even though you are a drunk (everyone there was a drunk) and have nothing to offer them because you want to keep what few european goods you have for yourself. Also, you don't know how to trap beavers and the Indians hate you and have been at war with you for 20 years.

that is why I hate fetch quests

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Kazvall

history is loving nuts

they say you should know history to not repeat history

but like history is full of some sick twisted poo poo

who wants to be associated with that?

twoday

Yeah it's pretty hosed up, I found all this Colve poo poo and I was thrilled because I stumbled upon something that hasn't been written about, which is your dream as a historian, but then I started reading these hosed up fragments and realizing that people tried to bury this history so that nobody would ever know it, and it got really dark really fast. Imagine things getting so crazy that afterwards everyone comes together and decides that they have to do everything in their power to erase this part of history. There's nothing about Colve or New Orange in any history books, but all the documents I read were written by desperate people in a time of war and extreme conditions, and they tried to bury it all so we wouldn't have to deal with it, but now I'm exhuming it, feels heavy

Kazvall

drat man I think you need to take that poo poo to your grave

everyone in this thread needs to make a pact right now to never talk about twoday's experience with hosed up history, if you're lurking right now it;s important you post right at this very moment because A: posting is important and B: if you're reading this and not posting it's like you love history and hosed up poo poo and I don't think that's ice enough to be of standard here

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

twoday posted:

Yeah it's pretty hosed up, I found all this Colve poo poo and I was thrilled because I stumbled upon something that hasn't been written about, which is your dream as a historian, but then I started reading these hosed up fragments and realizing that people tried to bury this history so that nobody would ever know it, and it got really dark really fast. Imagine things getting so crazy that afterwards everyone comes together and decides that they have to do everything in their power to erase this part of history. There's nothing about Colve or New Orange in any history books, but all the documents I read were written by desperate people in a time of war and extreme conditions, and they tried to bury it all so we wouldn't have to deal with it, but now I'm exhuming it, feels heavy

a quick google shows COlve as Gov., but i guess the hidden part was what it was like under his rule?

Lil Cunty

Kazvall posted:

drat man I think you need to take that poo poo to your grave

everyone in this thread needs to make a pact right now to never talk about twoday's experience with hosed up history, if you're lurking right now it;s important you post right at this very moment because A: posting is important and B: if you're reading this and not posting it's like you love history and hosed up poo poo and I don't think that's ice enough to be of standard here

well drat dude now you put it like that

ty crap

ty landy

Lil Cunty

why does history troll us so hard

ty crap

ty landy

twoday

Hugh Malone posted:

a quick google shows COlve as Gov., but i guess the hidden part was what it was like under his rule?

try to find anything else about him on the internet other than the fact that he was the governor, I dare you. try to find out where he was born, when he died, anything.

twoday fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 16, 2014

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

twoday posted:

try to find anything else about him on the internet other than the fact that he was the governor, I dare you. try to find out where he was born, when he died, anything.

im wasnt challenging u, just asking

but yeah i bet he was a con artist and the Dutch gov't. were really embarassed about what happened

or de devil trod 'pon de Eart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

twoday posted:

Hmm ok, not the reaction I was expecting in BYOB

wait what were we supposed to to? is it too late to change our reaction?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

• Locked thread