Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
i call dibs on adapting blood orange into a tv series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Serendipitous threads like this are one of my favorite things about SA, thanks for sharing

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Yeah, it seems the knowledge of New Orange has been circulating since 2011 or so but mostly it's just commentary on the dutch retaking the city and renaming it. There seems to be nothing at all on Colve before or after. This book says he was an infantry commander and another thing I read said he was an admiral. If you find anything out about him, please do share it here after you use it to make a penny. I'm very interested!

I think this is just quoting one of the documents that was written when he took power, but it doesn't give much any extra insight into who he was before that, sadly. But I never heard of the book before and i will check it out, thanks for finding it!

thanks man

GEExCEE posted:

The records of this poo poo looks like Elvish. Here's a document from 1638 that apparently lists the name of Betken Colve as an orphan in Middelburg.

this link doesn't work for me but maybe it's not super relevant

dogcrash truther posted:

Serendipitous threads like this are one of my favorite things about SA, thanks for sharing

frustration and desperation made me bring it up even though I didn't think anyone else but me cares or has cared about this for hundreds of years, that's why I was surprised about the response

twoday fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 20, 2014

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

twoday

:siren:Breaking News::siren:

Using some help from this thread I have just found a reference to Captain Anthony Colve being in Suriname in 1675; first person ever to figure this what happened to him after New Orange apparently. He seems to have been there at least till 1678, the puzzle pieces are coming together.

This is an accountant's record, there are several references to Colve and men who serve under Colve owing money.

"Capn anthonij Colve"

History is so cool

The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

alnilam

twoday posted:

Yeah, so I'm writing a book now and this title rules

I would be honored if you used my title or a variation of it, as long as i can brag to my good friend who is a history phd that i named it :c00l:

alnilam

lmao it really does look like elvish

twoday

alnilam posted:

I would be honored if you used my title or a variation of it, as long as i can brag to my good friend who is a history phd that i named it :c00l:

pm me with your name as you want it to appear in the "thanks to" page in the book

emmie

literally everything about Anthony Colve in my university's library:

"Captain Colve took charge of the reconquered province. He began industriously to undo all that the English had done. The province was again named New Netherland. The city was called New Orange, in honor of the Prince of Orange—a prince of Holland, who in a few years was to marry a daughter of the Duke of York, and who in a few more years was to be King of England under the title of William III.

Captain Colve put the fort in good condition, repaired the city wall, made a soldier of every man and drilled them every day. He had the city gates locked at night, and put a guard at them to see that no one came in or passed out."

emmie

hosed up broccoli dude

twoday

emmie posted:

literally everything about Anthony Colve in my university's library:

yeah that's just about the average amount of information about this poo poo in any history book in america today, despite this being the only instance of a foreign power successfully invading, waging a land war, and conquering a part of what is now the USA. This oversimplification shrugs off the prince of the Netherlands taking over the English throne as a mildly important marriage, and ignores several wars in America and Europe involving half a dozen of the biggest European powers, assassination of one king of England and revolution against another, a failed plot by the pope that almost converted England back to Catholicism, etc., but sure, ok, who cares, we never paid attention to this part of history before, why start now? It only determined the fate of the city which was the first capital of the US and has consistently been the largest city in the country, whatever

emmie posted:

Captain Colve put the fort in good condition, repaired the city wall, made a soldier of every man and drilled them every day. He had the city gates locked at night, and put a guard at them to see that no one came in or random people were whipped and beaten as an example to others until they passed out."

yeah most of that last part is wrong

twoday fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 20, 2014

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

twoday posted:

Using some help from this thread I have just found a reference to Captain Anthony Colve being in Suriname in 1675; first person ever to figure this what happened to him after New Orange apparently. He seems to have been there at least till 1678, the puzzle pieces are coming together.

This is an accountant's record, there are several references to Colve and men who serve under Colve owing money.

"Capn anthonij Colve"

History is so cool

this is cool as hell

twoday

I think I figured out what drove Colve crazy but I guess I'll save it for the book

GEExCEE

twoday posted:

"Capn anthonij Colve"

History is so cool

Weird. Here are the records that list Anthonij's promotions in Mauregnault's unit in 1677 and 1679. Could Mauregnault have been in Suriname after fighting and being wounded in Europe a few years earlier? Is this the same Mauregnault, the same Colve? Would we have records of Colve's promotion in 1677 and 79 in Zeeland if he was in Suriname from 1675-8? Colve seems to get around. Maybe it's not impossible that he would have gone back and from from Europe and the New World periodically, or at least made the journey there and back multiple times.

ron color

Kazvall posted:

drat man I think you need to take that poo poo to your grave

everyone in this thread needs to make a pact right now to never talk about twoday's experience with hosed up history, if you're lurking right now it;s important you post right at this very moment because A: posting is important and B: if you're reading this and not posting it's like you love history and hosed up poo poo and I don't think that's ice enough to be of standard here

twoday

nah man, Occam's razor.

The last note referring to Colve directly in Suriname was in 1675. The later ones refer to "so-and-so, soldier under Colve." They may have been remembered as such even after Colve returned to Europe, which he seems to have done before 1677.

Makes sense too. There were around 10,000 colonists in New Netherland when Colve ruled it and around 1000 in Suriname. Suriname had been interesting to him before when he had just moved there from Holland in 1666, but now he had been a governor, and returning to this jungle without even ruling it would have been bullshit. Of course he would then return to Zeeland a year later. Better chances there to claw his way back up to real power.

Kazvall posted:

drat man I think you need to take that poo poo to your grave

I get this crazy rush from thinking that I am the only one who is trying to unravel this story and share it with humanity, fills me with purpose, so no to that

twoday fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 20, 2014

ron color
this is cool, is there a picture of this guy

i am he

best thread

twoday

ron color posted:

this is cool, is there a picture of this guy

no, but here is a pic of the crazy English-hating vengeful young renegade captain who went on the unauthorized rampage of pillaging and destruction in the Americas that led to the Dutch invading New York and who put Colve in power:

Cornelis Evertsen, they were apparently buds

tao of lmao

twoday posted:

well tell us some cool stories that explain why you think history is disgusting, otherwise this is now just the Colve thread

what do you do?

i work with deeds and most of the time it's very boring but people will come in for genealogy research occasionally and it's fun. one girl was trying to get into the Daughters of the American Revolution and traced her family line back to a property purchase that John Adams signed as a witness for. To fulfill the grossness part of the thread, a lot of the old books smell like pee.

twoday

you know, Martin van Buren was born in upstate New York and spoke Dutch as a kid, the only president who didn't speak English as his first language. Apparently he had a funny accent till death, but not many people heard the president speak back then so it didn't matter. Anyway, he started his legal career by sorting out and translating old Dutch deeds.

twoday fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 20, 2014

Salmiakki

i adore this thread! history is great.

i have a book that i finished reading recently and its all about hosed up and weird things and people in history, its in finnish though and i cant find a translated version in english :(

there was a hoax in england, 1749, about a man who could fit himself inside a wine bottle, performing in a theater. lots of people paid to see this act and entered the theater

of course there was no man or bottle, just a guy who showed up and said ''ah well if he doesnt appear you can get your money back''. then people started getting really pissed off. someone threw a lighted candle onto the stage, people started leaving [losing hats, wigs cloaks and swords in the process], but some stayed inside and started destroying the theater. they started rippin up benches, destroyin boxes and they carried the debris on to the street and lit them on fire

also while trying to find this google gave me these

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

ron color

twoday posted:

no, but here is a pic of the crazy English-hating vengeful young renegade captain who went on the unauthorized rampage of pillaging and destruction in the Americas that led to the Dutch invading New York and who put Colve in power:

i like the whole colve story, thank you for sharing! i thought a visual aid would help

historically accurate? i like to imagine tony here is enthusiastic about classic hip hop

ron color
am i the first person to ever draw this guy

Salmiakki

ron color posted:

i like the whole colve story, thank you for sharing! i thought a visual aid would help

historically accurate? i like to imagine tony here is enthusiastic about classic hip hop

:captainpop:

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

twoday

ron color posted:

am i the first person to ever draw this guy

yes and it's pretty amazing

I mean, I can't be sure, but there is no record of him posing for a portrait or anything, he was too busy freaking out and punishing people

GEExCEE

i am he posted:

best thread

twoday posted:

nah man, Occam's razor.

The last note referring to Colve directly in Suriname was in 1675. The later ones refer to "so-and-so, soldier under Colve." They may have been remembered as such even after Colve returned to Europe, which he seems to have done before 1677.

Makes sense too. There were around 10,000 colonists in New Netherland when Colve ruled it and around 1000 in Suriname. Suriname had been interesting to him before when he had just moved there from Holland in 1666, but now he had been a governor, and returning to this jungle without even ruling it would have been bullshit. Of course he would then return to Zeeland a year later. Better chances there to claw his way back up to real power.

This does make sense and I didn't realize that the later documents in Suriname didn't refer directly to Colve. I also had the thought that "tied... to the stake and encircled with rods" might mean that the victim was put in a cage. Or it could mean that a bunch of dudes tied you to a tree and beat you up with rods for three hours. I don't know.

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you could use my help or how I can be of further service. :)

shankerz

Must Go Faster!!!!!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

"splinter free" toilet paper wasn't introduced until 1935

uhh..... so weekly visits to the doctor to have splinters removed from your rear end was a normal thing then?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

:negative:

alnilam

shankerz posted:

uhh..... so weekly visits to the doctor to have splinters removed from your rear end was a normal thing then?

using a rag and a bucket of poopy water was a normal thing then

ty manifisto

twoday

Just figured out where Colve was born, and found several records of him keelhauling, whipping, branding and killing people on the way to New York. This thread cracked the case, I now have enough evidence to write a biography on Colve, look for it in bookstores in a few years

twoday fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 22, 2014

i am he

twoday posted:

Just figured out where Colve was born, and found several records of him keelhauling, whipping, branding and killing people on the way to New York. This thread cracked the case, I now have enough evidence to write a biography on Colve, look for it in bookstores in a few years

that's really awesome. congrats man.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

twoday posted:

I am pretty excited for this. I don't usually care about New England history but this is going to be really cool, in no small part because we helped research this. I'm definitely buying it.

alnilam

twoday posted:

:toot:

Diqnol

:peanut:

alnilam

The authors would like to acknowledge The Chill Forum, without whom this would not have been possible. Herf derf.

tao of lmao

meteloides posted:

I am pretty excited for this. I don't usually care about New England history but this is going to be really cool, in no small part because we helped research this. I'm definitely buying it.

haha New Orange is not New England and never will be!

*chants* YANKEES SUCK YANKEES SUCK

GEExCEE

implying that this town rightfully belongs to the english... that's a a keelhaulin'.

dogcrash truther

alnilam posted:

The authors would like to acknowledge The Chill Forum, without whom this would not have been possible. Herf derf.

Herf? What the gently caress???!!

dogcrash truther
Derf?????!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

smdh

• Locked thread