Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Gwaint posted:

It IS 100% playable from beginning to end, so it's technically finished already.

If you took everything out of Super Mario Bros. except for the ground and the flagpoles it would be 100% playable beginning to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

If you took everything out of Super Mario Bros. except for the ground and the flagpoles it would be 100% playable beginning to end.

This is true, but Massive Chalice is a much more complete product than Super Mario Bros without anything except a ground and a flagpole.

Like I said before, it feels like a complete product in its current state, just one that needs some polishing up, essentially. They could seriously release it right now and it would absolutely at least be acceptable

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I've played it for about a day and had a good time. I like how most events can be resolved by dumping poo poo in the chalice to see what happens. The hybrid classes feel long overdue though, because it's getting a bit repetitive. I guess I should power on to unlock them.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

MASSIVE CHALICE: A Game Of Bones

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Big Cup has three entire classes so it's not only floors and flagpoles there are mushrooms and holes, too :eng101:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Anatharon posted:

please pay to finish our game

That kinda happened actually.

Massive Chalice's Kickstarter posted:

Pledge $100 or more.

ADD YOUR NAME and LEGACY to MASSIVE CHALICE ============================= Immortalize yourself in the world of MASSIVE CHALICE! Submit your name and House preferences (color, sigil, motto, and castle name) to be included as one of the Bloodlines in the game!

913 backers

In completely unrelated news, after the christening of "Fort Kickass" I'm now feeling extreme regret about letting 17 year olds name things.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

This is a pretty fun game, and I'm pretty happy with it thus far. I'm hoping we get more class variation and balancing down the road, but even as is, its a solid, light trpg. Not sure I'd pay the full price they're asking right now, though.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In completely unrelated news, after the christening of "Fort Kickass" I'm now feeling extreme regret about letting 17 year olds name things.

You can always just turn off the non-thematic names.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Go RV! posted:

This is a pretty fun game, and I'm pretty happy with it thus far. I'm hoping we get more class variation and balancing down the road, but even as is, its a solid, light trpg. Not sure I'd pay the full price they're asking right now, though.

You can always just turn off the non-thematic names.

Yeah, I think I'll do that next playthrough, the only house that was silly and that I liked for its silliness was House Dawgness with its wizard dog sigil.

Donnerberg posted:

I've played it for about a day and had a good time. I like how most events can be resolved by dumping poo poo in the chalice to see what happens. The hybrid classes feel long overdue though, because it's getting a bit repetitive. I guess I should power on to unlock them.

Wasn't as cool as this, but still neato.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, I think I'll do that next playthrough, the only house that was silly and that I liked for its silliness was House Dawgness with its wizard dog sigil.

Oh man, my only starting alchemist founded House Windbreaker, I really need to fire up the game and actually look at the sigil and keep name.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I fine with the in-battle graphics but the world map is ugly as hell imo.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I dunno, I think it does what it needs to do. Each region's laid out pretty clearly, and if you lose a region, you see it crumble away into the mist. I like that little detail.

Proposition Joe posted:

No, it really is like a complete game already. The only feature outstanding is hybrid classes, but the 3 main ones are all nicely fleshed out and have their purpose. Techs and buildings are all in place, all the enemies are there... poo poo, aside from the hybrids, I think Double Fine's done everything they said they would do.

I know DF screwed up on previous projects, but this game we got right here? I look at the Kickstarter page, and then I look at what we have, and honestly, it's almost everything they said they were going to do, and what they haven't is coming soon. 98% complete.

Also the soundtrack is absolutely kickass, especially when the midbattle theme kicks in. The world map tune is great too, but it's too bad you don't hear much of it unless you're really taking your time there. Advancing the timeline stops it playing, which half sucks and half doesn't considering all the events that take place as time rushes by have their own little chord, letting you know immediately if a baby's been born or if someone's kicked the bucket.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just married a 15 year old boy to a 42 year old woman and had a baby adopt four kids, this game is great as is.

You can do that in Crusader Kings 2

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
game name goes in thread title goddamnit.

Anyway this is cool but not quite there yet. I'm looking forward to the final release.
As people have said, it's pretty much ck2-lite + xcom-lite.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are these these graphics not just a placeholder? This is one of the ugliest games I've seen in ages.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does this have physics like the new xcom did? i like physics

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Brasseye posted:

Does this have physics like the new xcom did? i like physics

If it does they're not very noticeable, the grenades I've been using are incendiary and acidic, there is one that's explosive but I haven't hardly used it.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

There's one with bees, too!

That's right. One of the Alchemist's strongest attacks against a seemingly impossible flood of demonic invaders is... throwing a jar of bees at them.

BEES.

And it's AMAZING.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That kinda happened actually.

They even kept the $100+ "name a guy in the game" stuff for Space Base up on their website even after they said they weren't going to put any more work into it :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gwaint posted:

That's right. One of the Alchemist's strongest attacks against a seemingly impossible flood of demonic invaders is... throwing a jar of bees at them.

BEES.

And it's AMAZING.

Wow that so wacky LOL!!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gwaint posted:

BEES.

And it's AMAZING.

Yeah the bees actually act on the enemy turn and spread, I'm not sure how their damage works but they seem to hit for 12 on the first round then 20 on the second and I think it might be a glitch, but their damage bypasses Bulwark's shells completely. Also at level 10 alchemists get insane with 10 flasks and a free throw every round, I've got a patriotic and nimble alchemist with a level 10 relic, spongestone and dodging stockings, he just runs across the landscape destroying everything while dodging almost everything.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

I kind of wish Alchemists had a skill to mix a new potion that had like a 1 or 2 turn cooldown. If you get them a relic they're poor man's Caberjacks, but without them, once they've burned through all of their flasks they are useless. If they could at least sacrifice a turn to mix themselves an extra flask or two, I think that would go a long way to making them viable in long battles. Caberjacks don't lose their ability to melee after 5 attacks and neither do Hunters, so why should Alchemists? As long as it had a long enough cooldown I shouldn't think it would make them too powerful.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gwaint posted:

I kind of wish Alchemists had a skill to mix a new potion that had like a 1 or 2 turn cooldown. If you get them a relic they're poor man's Caberjacks, but without them, once they've burned through all of their flasks they are useless. If they could at least sacrifice a turn to mix themselves an extra flask or two, I think that would go a long way to making them viable in long battles. Caberjacks don't lose their ability to melee after 5 attacks and neither do Hunters, so why should Alchemists? As long as it had a long enough cooldown I shouldn't think it would make them too powerful.

Actually they have a six turn cooldown on totally replenishing your flasks in the final battle, you return to the massive chalice to do so. your version makes sense though. Honestly endgame the alchemists feel way more powerful than archers to me with the raw damage output they have.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Brutal Legend was the most progressive game of our generation.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

circ dick soleil posted:

Brutal Legend was the most progressive game of our generation.

And it would've done okay if people knew what they were getting at the time, but no one had the balls to say it was a first person RTS with a singleplayer tutorial.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Whelp, beat massive chalice, now to go to the forums and talk about what I'd like to see. Some talents need massive improvements if I'm going to take them and I almost never bothered to use the second caberjack stun talent since at that point I had a caberjack relic and was just one shotting things. Even with chalk it up's damage bonus getting crazy high in the final battle my archers could only put down one enemy a round whereas my caberjack and two alchemists were each taking out three on average. However flare arrow is just so drat good for crowd control, I'd never take that hobbling shot over it. Maybe replace hobbling shot with some kind of aoe that dots and slows?

Donnerberg posted:

And it would've done okay if people knew what they were getting at the time, but no one had the balls to say it was a first person RTS with a singleplayer tutorial.

Brutal legend was a lot of things, there was open world exploration, racing and elements to it as well minigames. I just looked it up on the brutal legend wiki and there were 7 stage battles total: Battle for Bladehenge,
Fists Shall Fall, Sanctuary of Sin, Doom's Dawn, Dry Ice Wet Graves, Sea of Black Tears and Abomination Overdrive. Maybe if instead of a few seconds of Eddy flying they had said something about "Command vast hordes of warriors!" in the trailers it might've gone over better. I'm pretty sure the articles talked about the army fights though.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

... my archers could only put down one enemy a round whereas my caberjack and two alchemists were each taking out three on average. However flare arrow is just so drat good for crowd control, I'd never take that hobbling shot over it. Maybe replace hobbling shot with some kind of aoe that dots and slows?

This killed me. I was pretty much stuck with nothing but hunters in the early going, so I ended up relying on them pretty heavily, running 5 hunter teams and just wiping maps with careful unit placement and movement. It worked really well, especially once the relics started coming in, but now I'm at the final battle with nothing but bunch of archers that can only kill one enemy at a time, and getting swarmed.

My only hope, and this hasn't proved to be a very practical solution, is to just kill two guys a turn and cover the map with flares.

Also, here's a helpful reminder that I'm pretty sure nobody needs: be careful where you throw jars of bees in the final mission.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 19, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I can't wait to see what skills they come up with for the hybrid classes. Hopefully it's like dragon's dogma where the hybrids are all cool as hell.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So I wish I had known earlier that relics are only made from normal weapons.

I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a relic weapon in like 100 years :downs:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

The developers held several previews and events detailing the multiplayer and RTS elements of the game leading up to release. I will never understand people who get mad that Double Fine made a spiritual successor to Sacrifice instead of another loving God of War clone.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Edit: Nevermind

MrBims fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

The developers held several previews and events detailing the multiplayer and RTS elements of the game leading up to release. I will never understand people who get mad that Double Fine made a spiritual successor to Sacrifice instead of another loving God of War clone.
The problem is that it was an extremely bad Sacrifice clone and a decent-good God of War clone. The fact that it takes half the game until the RTS stuff is fully realized is also dumb and adds to the bait-and-switch feeling.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Endorph posted:

The problem is that it was an extremely bad Sacrifice clone and a decent-good God of War clone. The fact that it takes half the game until the RTS stuff is fully realized is also dumb and adds to the bait-and-switch feeling.

It's actually a good Sacrifice-like, and the RTS transition happens like a quarter of the way through.

The second or third mission of the game has you ordering units around for gently caress's sake.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Doomsayer posted:

So I wish I had known earlier that relics are only made from normal weapons.

I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a relic weapon in like 100 years :downs:

I got most of mine from when a high level guy died, however one guy wound up with two from REs but was old and died without heirs so the weapons were gone.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Jet posted:

Yet released demos and advertising that had no indication of what people would be getting into it.

DF really hosed up that one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

It's actually a good Sacrifice-like, and the RTS transition happens like a quarter of the way through.

The second or third mission of the game has you ordering units around for gently caress's sake.
I said 'fully realized.' It's a slow build-up to the full RTS thing, for some reason, instead of just being an RTS/Action thing from the word go. Pikmin doesn't start with Olimar punching dudes, he finds the pikmin within two minutes and has 50 of them within ten.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Yet released demos and advertising that had no indication of what people would be getting into it.

DF really hosed up that one.

Double Fine has total creative control of the advertising of their video games. Publishers exist because ???????

Endorph posted:

I said 'fully realized.' It's a slow build-up to the full RTS thing, for some reason, instead of just being an RTS/Action thing from the word go. Pikmin doesn't start with Olimar punching dudes, he finds the pikmin within two minutes and has 50 of them within ten.

If it's leading up to it then how is it at all a "bait-and-switch"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Oh, this is a hack n' slash."
"Oh, you get a little squad, alright."
"Oh wait..."
"Oh this is an RTS now, uh, I guess?"

Either way, semantics aren't important. The point is the game should have just been what it wanted to be from the word go.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the most important thing is that brutla legend's rts stuff was garbage

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

the most important thing is that brutla legend's rts stuff was garbage

imo the MOST important thing is taht you could play through that garbage pretty quickly and spend the majority of your time rocking the gently caress out and doing rad metal poo poo in a metal as gently caress world

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yes why would I want my gameplay in my video game to be fun

Much better to be able to just speed through the gameplay, that's not why I'm playing my video game at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes why would I want my gameplay in my video game to be fun

Much better to be able to just speed through the gameplay, that's not why I'm playing my video game at all
Those bits aren't fun, for sure, but its far too late to change that now, and you dont have to let those crappy bits ruin the game. They're like the follow-missions in AC4, you just have to put up with them to get to the bit where you're a pirate.
Yes BL's marketing was somewhere between misleading and dishonest, but its a fun game despite the bullshit bits.

• Locked thread