Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

My college friends play magic and are p chill and i never saw a 40k player irl

there are ordinary-looking 40k players out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My college friends play magic and are p chill and i never saw a 40k player irl

you live in a mythical jungle kingdom

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Effectronica posted:

there are ordinary-looking 40k players out there

nope

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I've been running Dungeon World for my friends for about a month now. It's my first time GMing and I'm terrible at it, but they claim to be enjoying it and DW isn't exactly demanding. We're playing tonight, in fact.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress off dexter

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

gently caress off dexter

drat that's a (culo/nalga combined with Frio and then gringo)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a legitimate reason to play dungeon world over 13th age

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

being an aids-riddled human being

Dec 26, 2012

well, uh, nonbinary success and failure, non-flat distribution,,,

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

if you don't want all the crunch in 13th age and are too lazy to find something better

Dec 26, 2012

man, i sure do want to play a dungeon crawling game without crunch, said somebody apparently for some reason

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

01011001 posted:

man, i sure do want to play a dungeon crawling game without crunch, said somebody apparently for some reason

It, was me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Actually, I want to play anything at all.

I'm so lonely.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm so lonely.

:agreed:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

01011001 posted:

i can provide the reason, and if you'll give me a moment to sort through my psych profiles, i can provide the somebody too

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm so lonely.

all right! so, i've produced this MAID RPG hack of apocalypse world...

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

i can provide the reason, and if you'll give me a moment to sort through my psych profiles, i can provide the somebody too

very well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

all right! so, i've produced this MAID RPG hack of apocalypse world...

*makes the inverted vince mcmahon reaction*

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
I ran rifts and it got loving retarded (good retarded) within 20 minutes of starting

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

01011001 posted:

very well.

reason: terminal HIV

person:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to figure out what first systems to use for RPGing between my wife, myself, and anybody else we might be able to suck into it that sometimes come to our board game nights. I'm actually thinking we'd want maybe two different kinds of games going on: a group one, and something that's possible to do with just my wife and myself--with maybe just somebody else just thrown in before.

I haven't played a tabletop RPG before, but I have been amusing myself with the catpiss stories. I have played RPG video games before, and have some grasp of the mechanics. My wife hasn't really played an RPG of any kind since Secret Of Mana. I will try to work with the specifications of the first post:

RULESET: Freeform to Normal (Crunchy if ... tool-assisted, I think. I do not think my wife wants to get into stats at all.)
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
CHARGEN: None to Involved
SETTING: Universal to Established, and I really, really doubt Inseperable except for Paranoia.

We really, really, really, want to try Paranoia. It looks like Mongoose took down all the PDFs since they're going to publish a new edition at some point. This really bums me out, since the best I can find is ultra-expensive, used manuals on Amazon. I don't know if I like the game yet, and I don't want to be stuck with a used manual that may or may not be sprayed with Cheetos. I wish they'd just put up a pre-order deal where we can get to old PDFs while the new one spins around.

Anyways I think my wife does not want to play ye' olde murderhobo regularly. My first pick would be contemporary settings, and go in the horror direction, but not necessarily in the Call of Cthulu mythos. We have some of that already, and we don't want to play that kind of game where the end objective is to kind of go as crazy as possible. I am thinking instead something like X-Files: Monster Of The Week. We would consider some kind of silly stuff like some kind of D&D High School or some such goofy stuff.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'll be the first to pitch the *world games and FATE.

The *World games are usually very ingrained with the type of game, more than the setting. For something silly like D&D High school, there's Monsterhearts, which is kind of a play of Twilight and other YA romantic novels: Teenage Monsters. It's a lot better than it sounds and the system is pretty fun.

Appart from that, Dungeon World is indie Dungeons and Dragons that can become quite crazy, super easy to pick up. As for community support, the thread on this very forum is amazing and there's always something new coming up for the game. It IS kinda murderhobo, but more in a "constant action" way and less "kill everything". Unless your players just roll that way.

FATE is really easy to pick up, and more "traditional" than the *World engines. It's also free and very generic so using the same rules for a variety of games is totally ok. There are a couple of books that include mini-settings for you to use, with their own rules variation. If you want to play a Paranoia-like game, FATE should work extremely well with a little work.

There's also a more rules light version of FATE, called FAE, which is great on its own. Everything I said applies to FAE as well.

*makes the inverted vince mcmahon reaction*

and i haven't even described the sex moves

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thuly posted:

I ran rifts and it got loving retarded (good retarded) within 20 minutes of starting

kevin syembiote is epic

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

person:

literally half that thread is loving fate/dungeon world poo poo!!! GODDAMNIT! *smashes computer with orcish club*

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

literally half that thread is loving fate/dungeon world poo poo!!! GODDAMNIT! *smashes computer with orcish club*

When you smash your computer with an orcish club, ruleshack +insufferable.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Let's play Dragon Ball Z: The Anime Adventure Game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I have a lot of fun playing Settlers of Catan :blush:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xaris posted:

I have a lot of fun playing Settlers of Catan :blush:

i have too, but brother, this is the tabletop game thread, not the board game thread.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i have too, but brother, this is the tabletop game thread, not the board game thread.

oh, i didn't realize there was a difference, my bad

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

they have a thriving thread, and don't appreciate upstarts cutting into their turf

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

person:

Ferrinus posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

you can play boardgames on the floor

Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

they get territorial, best to let them have their side of the fence

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Alright I'm gonna be a dumb fucker and ask because I'm a tabletop newbie: what the gently caress even does "crunch" mean in this context?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mach2 posted:

Alright I'm gonna be a dumb fucker and ask because I'm a tabletop newbie: what the gently caress even does "crunch" mean in this context?

It refers to the complexity of the system and the math that you do to interact with it. Having multiple types of actions is crunchier than just one "action" that covers everything you do. Performing a string of arithmetic is crunchier than adding two numbers together. Having a dicepool system rather than a roll-and-compare system is arguably crunchier inherently.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Effectronica posted:

It refers to the complexity of the system and the math that you do to interact with it. Having multiple types of actions is crunchier than just one "action" that covers everything you do. Performing a string of arithmetic is crunchier than adding two numbers together. Having a dicepool system rather than a roll-and-compare system is arguably crunchier inherently.

Okay so yeah, it literally just means number-crunching. Some of the context it was used in here seemed to mean something different so I wasn't sure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Me reading nutrition facts on Doritos: Wow, this has a lot of crunch! In more ways than one! *turns to camera, raises Dew bottle*

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Me reading nutrition facts on Doritos: Wow, this has a lot of crunch! In more ways than one! *turns to camera, raises Dew bottle*

how many hit die does the bag have

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mach2 posted:

how many hit die does the bag have

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Xaris posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Fellis posted:

I just had a kinda newbie DM try to run FATE and poo poo all over it. I'm pretty sure he was just rolling the fudge dice and just comparing his raw roll to our raw roll to determine success or some other arbitrary thing because we didn't succeed at anything without spending fate points, even when I was rolling my +5 skill on something basic. After he had some armed guards ignore a rioting crowd outside a building we were sneaking into bust us one of our players ragequit and triggered everyone else into giving up too.

I feel bad because he doesn't a lot of experience doing this, but it was also an incredibly frustrating 3 hours. He tried to justify it to me afterwards as some story thing that he spent a lot of time on, but it was very obvious that he hadn't prepared anything.

I never prepare anything.

• Locked thread