Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Chomp8645 posted:

People who just have to be special loving snowflakes in a game are awful. Even worse than Ralp.

I think he did the right thing.

I like being special and important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
These drat kids, playing special snowflakes *my level 200 dwarf fighter saves the world again*

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

as long as all the players get to be opportunity to be snowflakes it's fine

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

and then you get dungeon world campaigns where you have like a ranger and a paladin and a merchant and someone insists on being a swamp slug monster who charges mindlessly into the obvious path of danger every time there's a crossroads without waiting for the party and whose solution to every challenge is "i puke a slug on it"

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

who ran the feudal japan FATE game where we established a fairly interesting city with some stuff going on and the first course of action agreed upon was to get as far away from that city as possible? i think it was you, nihnoz.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Scyther posted:

and then you get dungeon world campaigns where you have like a ranger and a paladin and a merchant and someone insists on being a swamp slug monster who charges mindlessly into the obvious path of danger every time there's a crossroads without waiting for the party and whose solution to every challenge is "i puke a slug on it"

swamp's playing a football player from Football Station in rogue trader now. He grabs the rear end of every NPC.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Scyther posted:

who ran the feudal japan FATE game where we established a fairly interesting city with some stuff going on and the first course of action agreed upon was to get as far away from that city as possible? i think it was you, nihnoz.

that was shaun. I've never ran FATE.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

who ran the city adventure where one player was a cult leader and i was a charlatan who bust someone out of prison with smoke bombs. it had the insane zealous guard npc

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Scyther posted:

who ran the city adventure where one player was a cult leader and i was a charlatan who bust someone out of prison with smoke bombs. it had the insane zealous guard npc

cuddlyzombie.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

swamp's playing a football player from Football Station in rogue trader now. He grabs the rear end of every NPC.

he got picked? cool

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

he got picked? cool

no. he ended up using it for a different RT game.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
hi OP, nice new, more accessible TTRPG thread. lemmie just talk about poo poo nobody would know about for a page.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

no. he ended up using it for a different RT game.

ah ya it makes more sense now

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nihnoz posted:

hi OP, nice new, more accessible TTRPG thread. lemmie just talk about poo poo nobody would know about for a page.

Keikaku doori

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I was trying to remember what you ran that I was in, and I remembered it was HERO system lmao

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Scyther posted:

I was trying to remember what you ran that I was in, and I remembered it was HERO system lmao

yeah lmfao

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I picked up a dying 13th age campaign from a friend after that and it was enough to make me swear off tactical combat forever. Now I'm running nobilis.

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

I never prepare anything.

i used to when i played worse systems as a necessity and now i more or less dont

like i have a general idea of a few ways poo poo could go but playing it by ear is usually better because i have some smartass players who wise up to situations at inconvenient times or come up with really good solutions i didnt even think of

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
serious question here, how do people handle space combat in rogue trader without maps? 'cause i don't have nearly enough time during the week to make any kind of map and when i try running ship to ship combat without maps it turns into a clusterfuck because both myself and the players have trouble visualizing where all the ships are.

01011001 posted:

i used to when i played worse systems as a necessity and now i more or less dont

like i have a general idea of a few ways poo poo could go but playing it by ear is usually better because i have some smartass players who wise up to situations at inconvenient times or come up with really good solutions i didnt even think of

i like preparing, doesn't matter what system it is. normally i just write out a framework of who the major characters are and a villainous plot with a timeline of when the big bad evil guy is going to do his thing and then dump the players into the world and watch them burn everything to the ground. sometimes they catch on to the really obvious breadcrumbs i leave them, sometimes they don't realize what the main villain is up to until there is literally a demon lord ripping open a tear in the fabric of reality but either way it makes the campaign feel a bit more structured and doesn't take me much time to think up ahead of time.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i got no problem with general outlines and such if you have a specific end state in mind

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
apologies about your dead thread OP

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

*spits on this thread*

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

he got picked? cool

Im playing on https://www. Badgame.net home of the badgers

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Im playing on https://www. Badgame.net home of the badgers

thats cool, i wanted to get on the burning wheel but wasnt feeling like learning the system

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fiasco is a pretty good game

its a good way to trick your friends into doing improv with you

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
is it possible to play fiasco sober? because i've never seen that happen.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

not being a retarded alcoholic manchild probably helps

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i played a Burning Wheel one-shot yesterday and i feel like i won the game by being the person who participated least

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Scyther posted:

:captainpop:
that escalated quickly.

Dec 26, 2012

it is possible. i recommend playing the game, while not drunk, to achieve this. you are welcome

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nihnoz posted:

apologies about your dead thread OP

lol

Scyther posted:

keep disrespecting gamers like this and i'll be assuming the boardgames thread as well

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Grim posted:

i played a Burning Wheel one-shot yesterday and i feel like i won the game by being the person who participated least

no it sounds to me like you lost.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I know what happened. You did nothing all game, nothing bad or interesting happened to you, then you decided you won bc you're a retard.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
typical.

Dec 26, 2012

i sat through a several-hour rpg session determined to not have any fun - and boy did i ever succeed

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Grim posted:

hmmm, no, i won the game by not playing at all, bitch rear end fucker

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Mordheim was enjoyable. You got to paint and play with a warham or two without wasting money on an entire army.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dongslayer. posted:

Mordheim was enjoyable. You got to paint and play with a warham or two without wasting money on an entire army.

The videogame version looks deece

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just bought the digital version of Dungeon World and I'm printing it out to play with my friends later this week. We played 4e once a week for like, three years, until people started graduating university and getting real jobs. I'm looking forward to DMing again :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Effectronica posted:

lol

keep disrespecting gamers like this and i'll be assuming the boardgames thread as well

The only thing you'll be assuming is a kneeling position right before i shoot a million billion depleted uranium rounds into your bitch rear end skull. Fucker.

• Locked thread