Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dawkins was really patient, soft spoken, and kind to the creationist woman in that one debate. Never knew there was a controversy about how bad he was. And it's odd that some statements about how religion is child abuse is negative when there are anti-vaxxers and people around who prefer prayers over treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Assholes be assholes regardless of what they believe.

Dick Dorkins just thinks his poo poo don't stink.

EDIT: Most anti-vaxxers I've seen weren't strongly religious either.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chill la Chill posted:

Dawkins was really patient, soft spoken, and kind to the creationist woman in that one debate. Never knew there was a controversy about how bad he was. And it's odd that some statements about how religion is child abuse is negative when there are anti-vaxxers and people around who prefer prayers over treatment.

Richard Dawkins is a gigantic rear end in a top hat pretty much any time he isn't literally scheduled to be on camera. See also: his twitter feed, his statements about women in the atheist community, his statements on Muslims anywhere...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
And most religious people think anti-vaccers are dangerous idiots who put their children at serious risk. I won't say Dawkins has never had a good idea but he's shockingly ignorant about anything outside of evolutionary biology.

Which I suppose puts him one up on on a lot of TTRPG grogs since they're shockingly ignorant about everything including TTRPGs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What amazes me is that anyone can be surprised that an atheist is still capable of exhibiting all the bigoted attitudes common to a rich educated white male. Henry Kissinger isn't religious either.

Tax-deductible contribution to the grognard fund:

quote:

In the 17th century, a rare ability. Most characters able to swim will gain the ability through the character background generator, through their abilities or because their fathers were fishermen, sailors, boatmen, explorers, shipwrights or buccaneers. Some characters, particularly druids and fighter classes specializing in waterborne adventuring, will be able to swim through their sage abilities.

Swimming is not possible while more than 5% encumbered - clothing and magic armor (which still has weight) must be considered in all calculations. More than 5% encumbrance will drag creatures below the water surface, making it impossible to breathe.

Clarification - after sprinting, creatures can begin
sustained swimming, then exhausted swimming

The table above indicates the water speeds for medium-sized humanoids swimming with free hands and feet (see link). Sprinting indicates the speed that can sustained for a maximum distance of 3 hexes per point of constitution. Sustainedindicates the speed that can be managed for a distance of 20 hexes per point of constitution. Exhausted shows the distance that can be covered thereafter.

Sustained swimming with a strength of 3 or less or exhausted swimming requires aconstitution check once the character has covered the maximum distance indicated for six rounds (a 18 strength character would cover 10 hexes in six rounds). The time between constitution checks can be extended by swimming slower than this distance, but a speed of at least 2/3 hexes/round is the minimum forward speed. The distance between constitution checks cannot be extended. Failing this check will indicate that the humanoid's lung capacity/heart/muscles have given out, whereupon the character will slip helplessly below the surface of the water, unable to continue swimming.

Humanoids that are naked and greased may increase their sprinting speeds and endurance (potential distance) by 10%. Transformations that provide fins, flippers or webbed-fingers can increase all speeds and endurance by 30%. Gills or water breathing can increase maximum distances by 100%.

Swimming distances should be adjusted where currents and river flow affect freedom of travel.

Travel speeds will also be affected by wind. Reduce speed and endurance by 33% during a gentle breeze, 50% during a moderate breeze and 75% during a fresh breeze. No meaningful speed may be travelled in a strong breeze, near gale or gale (the swimmer will move about in a helpless path, buffeted by waves).

Treading Water does not allow any travel but will increase endurance by 50%.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Mors Rattus posted:

Richard Dawkins is a gigantic rear end in a top hat pretty much any time he isn't literally scheduled to be on camera. See also: his twitter feed, his statements about women in the atheist community, his statements on Muslims anywhere...

I don't know. Does he talk poo poo on Islam or Muslims, because I don't think it's fair to confuse the two.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
There's an atheist community now? I thought we all were busy just not giving a poo poo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just post grog:

quote:

Basically... that is what it sounds like. Ars Magica is dying slowly. Every new year it gets a little more irrelevant than it was the year before. But nWoD and D&D4 died quickly. They put out new editions that were bad, and saw catastrophic drops in sales. Both struggled on for a few years, but the companies behind them eventually pulled the plug. 

Ars Magica can't afford to have a catastrophic drop in sales because of a poorly done edition. D&D and World of Darkness had their market fall by an order of magnitude. If that happened to Ars Magica, they wouldn't be able to afford printing costs. It's certainly up in the air how long they can afford to maintain their slow motion contraction - but they probably couldn't afford even one year of catastrophic collapse. 

The bottom line however is that I don't know why I would even check out Magic Shoe. Ars Magica made some ground breaking innovations in the late 80s, and the name carries some weight. If people said they had modernized Ars Magica, I would be interested to say the least. It might be good or bad, but they'd definitely have my attention. Magic Shoe is just one heartbreaker among many. It would take a fair amount of positive word of mouth before I even looked it up. Without the Ars Magica name it's just another fantasy game. 

-Frank

Maybe once everything is digital primary, Frank will finally shut up because he thinks RPGs have completely disappeared.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 25, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chaltab posted:

And most religious people think anti-vaccers are dangerous idiots who put their children at serious risk. I won't say Dawkins has never had a good idea but he's shockingly ignorant about anything outside of evolutionary biology.

Which I suppose puts him one up on on a lot of TTRPG grogs since they're shockingly ignorant about everything including TTRPGs.

For the most part, older academics like him are not worth listening to beyond the ideas in their wheelhouse. As they age, that subjects that they are a reliable source on narrows either due to their own focus or obsolescence due to other researchers. A decade or two ago, Dawkins on Evolutionary Psychology (a tangentially related field) might be worth a listen/read. Now? gently caress him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Isn't the nWoD doing alright? It produced about as many splats as its predecessor did, if I am not mistaken, and it has a rather decent following.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Isn't the nWoD doing alright? It produced about as many splats as its predecessor did, if I am not mistaken, and it has a rather decent following.

After WW was bought by CCP and CCP decided they didn't want to make RPG books, a WW guy named Rich Thomas started a company called Onyx Path that licensed the oWoD and nWoD from CCP and they've been putting out books for both, including a second edition of the nWoD rules and a couple of new nWoD splats so far in addition to starting 20th anniversary editions of the oWoD games. It'll never be the 90's again, but the World of Darkness seems to be doing pretty okay.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

paradoxGentleman posted:

It isn't blowing the doors off like the once in a lifetime lightning in a bottle event that was the release of Vampire the Masquerade, therefore it's a huge failure that should be piled up and used for kindling.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thing about Frank Trollman is that he and reality have long been estranged. Just as an example, he declared (before it even launched) and maintains that D&D 5E has already failed and remains a failure. Before that he insisted for quite a while that it was vaporware and would never actually come out. Correcting him is a good way to cause him to get defensive and tell you to eat a barrel of dicks.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Edit ^^^ Oh, it's still vaporware according to his incredibly unique definition.

According to Frank, anything that's not regularly stocked on an LGS shelf is a total failure. Also, lots of things are "vaporware", including things that entirely met their schedules and came out years ago.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

According to Frank, anything that's not regularly stocked on an LGS shelf is a total failure.
Wait wouldn't that include the brilliant but tragically overlooked After Sundown?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pope Guilty posted:

After WW was bought by CCP and CCP decided they didn't want to make RPG books, a WW guy named Rich Thomas started a company called Onyx Path that licensed the oWoD and nWoD from CCP and they've been putting out books for both, including a second edition of the nWoD rules and a couple of new nWoD splats so far in addition to starting 20th anniversary editions of the oWoD games. It'll never be the 90's again, but the World of Darkness seems to be doing pretty okay.

Even before this happened the nWoD was by no reasonable or sane metric a failure. Pre Onyx Path, the New World of Darkness effectively ran from 2004 to about 2010 or so, and featured dozens upon dozens of published products across seven separate lines, eight if you count the generic "for mortals" supplements. Seriously, Vampire: the Requiem alone has like 30+ products published for it before the Strix Chronicles came along. Even if you take the stance that the shift to Onyx Path means that the nWoD has "failed," which is a ridiculous premise since Onyx Path is successfully kickstarting project after project, there's no way you could characterize the time it spent being published through the traditional method as a failure unless you happen to be a complete loving moron.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

His position is nuanced enough to put the lie to your ridiculous accusations! Obviously, the first couple years coasted on love for cWoD, then they coasted on CCP money, then they dumped everything on Onyx Path where Rich Thomas scams people with Kickstarter to fuel his millionaire lifestyle.

Duh!

Chaltab posted:

Wait wouldn't that include the brilliant but tragically overlooked After Sundown?

Much like everything Frank does with RPGs, he's not trying to be a professional, but professionals drat sure better listen to him or else they're loving idiots. This extends into related fields, like history for historical RPGs. If you don't sit at his feet for wisdom, even if you literally have a degree in what you're doing, you missed out ya dummy!

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 25, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Plague of Hats posted:

Edit ^^^ Oh, it's still vaporware according to his incredibly unique definition.

According to Frank, anything that's not regularly stocked on an LGS shelf is a total failure. Also, lots of things are "vaporware", including things that entirely met their schedules and came out years ago.

So how does 5e (which is on shelves everywhere) manage to meet that definition?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

So how does 5e (which is on shelves everywhere) manage to meet that definition?

Well you see it's not on TROLLMAN's shelf, and that's the only one that matters, dammit!

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
Apparently they felt the need to update this. So I will too. I censored the email address in the first one because I'm not a jerk, but you know what, if they're putting it in stupid image macros then gently caress 'em.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pulsedragon posted:

Apparently they felt the need to update this. So I will too. I censored the email address in the first one because I'm not a jerk, but you know what, if they're putting it in stupid image macros then gently caress 'em.

What

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The timecube guy is now an rpg critic, I think?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Treating Onyx Path as separate from White Wolf from a writing perspective is bizarre, anyway. The IP ownership may have shifted around on paper, but it's still the same people writing for the same games.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Treating Onyx Path as separate from White Wolf from a writing perspective is bizarre, anyway. The IP ownership may have shifted around on paper, but it's still the same people writing for the same games.

Were these the guys doing those games that were essentially just White Wolf games but with different titles? I remember seeing the images from the covers getting posted a few years back but I can't remember any specific detail for the life of me.

Also, here's some grog from a blog - some guy meticulously refuting posts from some other guys blog about why his vision of D&D combat is wrong.

some grog posted:

...the famous idea of Gary Gygax's that a D&D fight should resemble the sword fight between Robin Hood and Sir Guy of Gisborne in the Errol Flynn iteration.

Firstly, the notion that Errol Flynn-style combat is worth emulating is far from a universal notion. It bears no similarity to reality, it has no real risk or danger, and is extremely ill-suited to a dice-driven system like D&D.

That kind of combat exists for one purpose only: advancing the plot of a film. It's more the kind of combat you see in a story game, where the relative advantages and disadvantages in the fight reflect and comment on the dialog of the characters, and no-one gets hurt or dies except for maximizing the dramatic effect.

It is literally the exact opposite of old-school D&D combat, which is random and messy - people die and get hurt with no consideration for what that might mean for the "story". The dice reign supreme, as opposed to the story.

D&D combat bears exactly zero similarity to that style of combat, and that combat bears exactly zero similarity to real life (except that there are humans, and they have swords). That Gygax said that says it was his inspiration says little about his knowledge of combat or game design.

So much for the idea of Errol Flynn combat.

The guy who invented the game of pretend fantasy-man's combat didn't do it right because he didn't do it how I would have done it.

some grog posted:

Another good reason for preferring abstract combat is just that realism may be something of a fool's errand.

It may be, but as I wrote before here, realism is to be infinitely preferred to not-realism (all other things being equal).

The short version, for the lazy, is that if the system isn't realistic, then the players need to master the system to make sensible choices. The more realistic the system, the more the players can leverage their knowledge of the real world.

For example, in reality, dropping a 25lb 10ft down onton someone's head would probably at the very least stun them, and possibly knock them out cold, maybe even kill them.

In D&D, it would have one of two effects: none, or kill them stone dead. Since that's not what would happen in the real world, a player needs to know the system well enough to understand that even though in the real world X would happen, Y will happen in the game.

some grog posted:

I really like the idea of Western Martial Arts but I'm not persuaded that they are entirely realistic; until people start actually fighting to the death using these techniques, and agreeing that if they are injured they will only use medical techniques that were in use in the 14th century, I think that "what happens in a real sword fight" is still a matter of considerable conjecture and will likely remain so.

Sorry, but that's just ignorant. I don't really know what else to say to that.

Your ignorant, uninformed opinion based on literally nothing compared to 30 years of dedicated scholarship and experiment? It's easy to see where the weight of evidence is, and it's not on your side.

I mean, what would you think if I said something like (I seem to recall that your field is philosophy of law, or something related - apologies if it's not), "I really like the idea of the philosophy of law, but I think that scholarship in that field has revealed nothing and that everyone who has ever studied it has completely wasted their time"?

That's literally what you just said about students of historical Western martial arts.

I have no opinions about historical sword fighting people myself, but goddamn does this guy get really salty about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bob Quixote posted:

Were these the guys doing those games that were essentially just White Wolf games but with different titles? I remember seeing the images from the covers getting posted a few years back but I can't remember any specific detail for the life of me.

No, that's Wastelands of Damnation and Dark Phoenix Publishing.

Onyx Path is just a different corporate entity licensing the IP from CCP and writing the same books with the same writers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"This should be a better world," a friend of mine said. "A more honest one, where sex isn't shameful or degrading. I wish this was the kind of world where say, 'Wow, I'd like to touch your breasts,' and people would understand that it's not a way of reducing you to a set of nipples and ignoring the rest of you, but rather a way of saying that I may not yet know your mind, but your body is beautiful."

We were standing in the hallway of ConFusion, about nine of us, and we all nodded. Then another friend spoke up.

"You can touch my boobs," she said to all of us in the hallway. "It's no big deal."

Now, you have to understand the way she said that, because it's the key to the whole project. The spirit of everything was formed within those nine words - and if she'd said them shyly, as though having her breasts touched by people was something to be endured or afraid of, the Open-Source Boob Project would have died aborning. But she didn't. Her words were loud and clearly audible to anyone who walked by, an offer made to friends and acquaintances alike.

Yet it wasn't a come-on, either. There wasn't that undertow of desperation of come on, touch me, I need you to validate my self-esteem and maybe we'll hook up later tonight. There was no promise of anything but a simple grope.

We all reached out in the hallway, hands and fingers extended, to get a handful. And lo, we touched her breasts - taking turns to put our hands on the creamy tops exposed through the sheer top she wore, cupping our palms to touch the clothed swell underneath, exploring thoroughly but briefly lest we cross the line from 'touching" to "unwanted heavy petting." They were awesome breasts, worthy of being touched.

And life seemed so much simpler.

(EDIT: For a more fact-checked version of events, and an explanation of the button issue, click here to see a clarification of events - because frankly, a lot of people are confused on the later button issue, et cetera.)

In this moment, all of the societal restrictions had fallen away, and we discovered an eBay-like need: We liked to express adoration of her body, and she liked the compliment of being desired. It wasn't a one-way flow; it was a stream of compliments being passed back and forth as we explored that small zone of her body, a My God, these are beautiful breasts you have, along with the backstream compliment of Thank you, you're worthy of touching them.

It could have been a base lechery. But instead, it was sexual desire made simple. We knew we couldn't go further, but being allowed inside this area of restricted access with nothing more than a question was somehow amazing.

We stood there afterwards, a little shocked. Then someone else spoke up in the same tone of voice:

"You can touch mine, too."

And my God! We all reached out like zombies trying to break through a door to get to those breasts. And it wasn't getting any worse! We weren't degenerating into an orgy, but rather exploring the amazement of how beautiful this body was and how wonderful it was to have access to them. Nobody was trying to pull off a bra or suck on a nipple; we'd been given access to a very special place that only lovers usually touched, and why would you be so crude as to try to push the boundaries of that?

And every girl in that hallway was then asked the question: "May I touch your breasts?" They considered, and said yes. And we all did.

And my Lord, I'd had experience in breasts in my time, but having so many compared right next to each other was beautiful. One of the reasons I love sex is because every body is so different, and the differences in size, and skin tone, and nipple sensitivity, and bras - bras were a big deal in how a boob felt - were highlighted. It wasn't like the breasts blurred together; they were all each beautiful in their own way, framed in the canvas of a shirt or a tank top or a dress. With each set we explored, we appreciated the last ones even more.

We went back to some of the first open-sourcers, eager for comparison. "Can I touch them again?" "Sure!" And the feel-ups continued.

I felt the terrors of high school washing away from me. It could be this easy. Just ask!

And then the real magic happened. Because a beautiful girl in an incredibly skimpy blue Princess outfit strode down the hallway, obviously putting her assets on display (the thin strips of her clothing had to be taped to her body to stay on), and we stopped her.

"Excuse me," the first, very brave girl asked. "You're very beautiful. I'd like to touch your breasts. Would you mind if I did?"

We held our breath. We didn't want to offend. This could go wrong, collapsing and turning us into cruel lechers who'd make her feel uncomfortable and shamed of who she was....

She thought for a heartbeat, sizing us up. But there must have been something honest and trustworthy in our eyes that promised that we wouldn't get out of hand... Because after a moment, she smiled and said, "Sure!"

The first girl touched respectfully. And reported that they were glorious. Then we all asked in turn, and she nodded happily and put them out, and lo, even with strangers and not acquaintances, the magic of the Boob Project continued. It wasn't that she was a piece of meat to be felt up, but rather that a living person that we did not know had voluntarily lowered the barriers that separate us and allowed us in... And we were so grateful that we were showering her in pure adoration.

It was exciting, of course. I won't deny it was sexual. But it was a miraculous sexuality that didn't feel dirty, but clean.

Emboldened, we started asking other people. And lo, in the rarified atmosphere of the con, few were offended and many agreed. And they also felt that strange charge. We went around the con, asking those who we thought might be amenable - you didn't just ask anyone, but rather the ones who'd dressed to impress - and generally, people responded. They understood how this worked instinctively, and it worked.

By the end of the evening, women were coming up to us. "My breasts," they asked shyly, having heard about the project. "Are they... are they good enough to be touched?" And lo, we showed them how beautiful their bodies were without turning it into something tawdry.

We talked about this. It was an Open-Source Project, making breasts available to select folks. (Like any good project, you need access control, because there are loutish men and women who just Don't Get It.) And we wanted a signal to let people know that they were okay with being asked politely, so we turned it into a project:

The Open-Source Boob Project.

At Penguicon, we had buttons to give away. There were two small buttons, one for each camp: A green button that said, "YES, you may" and a red button that said "NO, you may not." And anyone who had those buttons on, whether you knew them or not, was someone you could approach and ask:

"Excuse me, but may I touch your breasts?"

And if you weren't a total lout - the women retained their right to say no, of course - they would push their chests out, and you would be allowed into the sanctity of it. That exchange of happiness where one person are told with gropes and touches that they are desirable and the other is someone who's allowed to desire.

For a moment, everything that was awkward about high school would fade away and you could just say what was on your mind. It was as though parts of me were being healed whenever I did it, and I touched at least fifteen sets of boobs at Penguicon. It never got old, surprisingly.

Some women didn't want to. That was fine. We never demanded anything of anyone. And if you didn't want to put yours up for the Project but you wanted to touch, well, that was fine, too. It was simply for folks who felt like being open.

It was a raging success at Penguicon.... And there haven't been any hookups that I know of thanks to the Open-Source Boob Project. It is, as I said, a very special thing. (Though I wouldn't rule it out if two single people exchanged a moment.) And we'll probably do it at other cons, because it's strangely wholesome and sexual at the same time.

I've left off the names, because frankly, people should reveal for themselves whether they're Open-Sourcers or not. Not everyone wants to go public with it, and what happens at the con stays at the con. But trust me. If you are, and I meet you, I will ask. And you'll understand the beauty and simplicity of the Open-Source Boob Project for yourself.

Touch the magic, my friends. Touch the magic.
\

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pulsedragon posted:

How far off the mark would my suspicion be that a big reason for Dungeon World explicitly writing "standard DMing poo poo except with its own terminology" is specifically because grognards are so hidebound to D&D that it's essentially a form of deprogramming?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pulsedragon posted:

"Kikestarter hipsters"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
As someone fairly new to ttrpgs, the terminology and standardized terms and mechanics are insanely helpful. It took me about 10 minutes to get how to run a dungeon world game to a reasonable degree, while I've still got barely any idea how half the mechanics of D&D work after a few sessions, and it'd be difficult to adjudicate or quickly come up with unorthodox situations. I do kind of agree that the character gen can be fairly restrictive about personality but that's easy to fix since the fundamental structure is so clear. Replace alignment with a goal, whip up a race bonus and get the player to write their own bonds from scratch.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 26, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, there's poo poo That Didn't Happen right there. Christ, that reads like a terrible fanfiction.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

How far off the mark would my suspicion be that a big reason for Dungeon World explicitly writing "standard DMing poo poo except with its own terminology" is specifically because grognards are so hidebound to D&D that it's essentially a form of deprogramming?

I actually think it's a lot simpler than that. I think it's just.

"Most people don't actually know how to run a game, let me spell it out for you."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Night10194 posted:

Well, there's poo poo That Didn't Happen right there. Christ, that reads like a terrible fanfiction.

It actually did happen, and then there was a massive internet blowup about how loving creepy and horrible it was.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Bob Quixote posted:

The guy who invented the game of pretend fantasy-man's combat didn't do it right because he didn't do it how I would have done it.

It's actually way funnier then that - the guy who did it did it wrong because they want fights to be dramatic and interesting, when they SHOULD be as un-dramatic and lifeless as possible!

He's complaining that Gygax wanted fights to be more interesting then they actually are, because interesting and dramatic fights are bad and made for storygames.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The main reason for it in the original Apocalypse World was, I believe, to make the GM a player instead of some distant separate thing. Grogs despise it because it doesn't follow the "GM as god" wank they're addicted to.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pope Guilty posted:

It actually did happen, and then there was a massive internet blowup about how loving creepy and horrible it was.

I mean I doubt it went the way he wrote it, basically. I'm sure he had his creepy breast touching game or whatever, but I doubt he was surrounded by nubile ladies shyly asking if he would grope their tits.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk, a number of girls have been pretty forward at conventions and otherwise.

It's not always tits. Sometimes kisses, sometimes free hugs, sometimes "touch them anywhere covered by their cosplay outfit", sometime it has to do with violet wands, but maybe y'all haven't been invited to the same convention parties as me...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thread closed on account of osirisisdead making GBS threads in the sandbox again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

osirisisdead posted:

Idk, a number of girls have been pretty forward at conventions and otherwise.

It's not always tits. Sometimes kisses, sometimes free hugs, sometimes "touch them anywhere covered by their cosplay outfit", sometime it has to do with violet wands, but maybe y'all haven't been invited to the same convention parties as me...

Dunno why he was probated because I went on a con this weekend and it actually had chicks in revealing cosplay charging the horney retard virgins money to touch and kiss them and I heard that back in 2007 there was a sassafras in São Paulo because underage chicks did that and they apparently sucked some dudes dicks in the bathroom but that's São Paulo and people there are loving weird like that peace.

e: lmao 1,50 reais to touch them and 4,00 for a deep kiss what the christ

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You would think "a thread where we point out dumb elfgame opinions and say 'get a load of this guy'" wouldn't be a diffucult concept yet here we are.

Much as I groused at it, maybe the grog tax supported needed thread infrastructure and basic services like sanitation.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
maybe the idiot poo poo retards who unironically employ hurf durf sexhaver logic in TYOOL 2015 when discussing weird cosplay funimation fuckfests that are Totally Real, Man, But You're Not Cool Enough to See Them should just stop talking about their gay clown baby fantasies and talk about stinky fat dudes playing elf games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Otisburg posted:

You would think "a thread where we point out dumb elfgame opinions and say 'get a load of this guy'" wouldn't be a diffucult concept yet here we are.

Much as I groused at it, maybe the grog tax supported needed thread infrastructure and basic services like sanitation.

My name is thelazyblank, and I approve this message.

Grog Donation:

Actual Discussion posted:

This solution is a good one but it ignores a large problem which is that Martial players NEVER actually get to play the concept they wanted: a character who is a great combatant.

Grog posted:

Who gives a poo poo what they want? No, seriously, in the context of designing a framework (i.e. a TTRPG) that will help users create stories that appeal to themselves and more importantly the people around them, who gives a poo poo what they want?

Serious action-adventure high fantasy has been trending away from the determined, callow or gritty mundane badass Everyman protagonist for quite some time now. Characters like Sokka are a last gasp of a dying paradigm and will soon only exist in deliberately retreaux high fantasy like the DC Conan comics and the Hobbit movies. And I say that it's for a good reason.

Unfortunately, there does exist a band of power in which Madmartigan is the equal of Willow and even where James Bond Jr. is the equal of Harry Potter. And this band can exist without the plot or author cheating for the characters. However, I claim that this band shouldn't be extended by looking for ways to universalize magical and reduce the effective of specialists: but instead the band should be shrunk. Even in Casterfinder pure martials have a place in the game at level 5 -- I think that this doesn't go far enough. They should be retired by level 3, tops. Instead of that silliness where a 7th level muggle can go up against a hill giant or a troll with no magic and have a non-zero chance of winning, they should get the living poo poo kicked out of them. Fights against anything stronger than a bugbear when you don't have magic should go like this. Then maybe people will stop chasing rainbows and twisting the games into knots to enable these worthless goatfelchers' uselessness addiction.

"If they wanted to fight things, they shouldn't have played a fighter." :smuggo:

• Locked thread