Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I'm probably going to be a Dwarf mage though

You sure aren't.

VA is two per gender yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just two per gender, so Qunari Female B is the same as Human Female B. It's really a choice of accents. By default dwarves and qunari have American accents and humans and elves have British accents (Dalish normally have Welsh accents, but I guess a third accent just for elven inquisitors was out of the question).

The American Male voice is the one I've heard most by this point, and it sounds really good. Wildly enough, it's the same voice actor who did Zevran in Dragon Age: Origins. He doesn't sound remotely like himself.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

iGestalt posted:

The lack of content, and rushed nature of it was poo poo. But the actual concept of DA2 was really cool and could've been something very special. I did like the thematic design of it and the narrow focus of the story, I prefer that kind of focus than GALACTIC ARMAGEDDON.

Yeah, I think the narrow "smaller story" focus is what I really enjoyed about DA2. My one playthrough in Origins was as a dwarf and looking back, I think my favorite parts were all in Orzammar. I would have been a-OK with a game that was entirely about the shenanigans always going on down there.

Frankly after Skyrim, I'm kind of burned out on gigantic-as-gently caress worlds with two bajillion things in it to distract you from the overall story. Might be why I found Origins to be a slog after a while. Since it looks like the new game is going back to being more like that, I'll just have to see if it's engrossing enough to keep me with it or if I just eventually give up and go replay Earthbound or something.

I think my biggest gripe about DA2 (aside from recycled maps) was the imbalance. I usually stick to the default "normal" difficulty settings, but occasionally I'd run into a fight that was just beyond ridiculous. And after I'd get my rear end repeatedly handed to me I'd grudgingly slip down to the casual setting, but rather than make the fight still be tough but beatable, it became a snoozefest I could breeze through. It felt like there needed to be a difficulty setting in between the two.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've never been so excited for a game where it's previous title in the series was real bad, and I didn't even play the first game. DAI though just looks really good and so far the reviews have been fantastic.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I've never been so excited for a game where it's previous title in the series was real bad, and I didn't even play the first game. DAI though just looks really good and so far the reviews have been fantastic.

I echo this sentiment. And I also find the backstory and setting more interesting. You are a special dude, sure. But at least you are leading an entire organization and not -just- you against them but rather the entire might of your Inquisition. I love this idea for some reason; maybe I just like power?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ballz posted:

Yeah, I think the narrow "smaller story" focus is what I really enjoyed about DA2. My one playthrough in Origins was as a dwarf and looking back, I think my favorite parts were all in Orzammar. I would have been a-OK with a game that was entirely about the shenanigans always going on down there.

I am also cool with a game like that. Frankly, I think Bioware could hit a good balance if they make their even number entries smaller, more experimental (but actually complete and thought out) affairs. I still want a game that just about freebooting around Thedas, borders and world threatening disasters be damned. Essentially, a Bull's Chargers game sounds like it would be tops; keep the army, base-building and border crossing, but you're a merc so you take the jobs that suit you.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 15, 2014

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Orv posted:

You sure aren't.

VA is two per gender yes.

Can't I be a dwarf mage or something?

edit: No, I can't. gently caress.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

I am also cool with a game like that. Frankly, I think Bioware could hit a good balance if they make their even number entries smaller, more experimental (but actually complete and thought out) affairs. I still want a game that just about freebooting around Thedas, borders and world threatening disasters be damned. Essentially, a Bull's Chargers game sounds like it would be tops; keep the army, base-building and border crossing, but you're a merc so you take the jobs that suit you.

Yes, this would be pretty cool. Inquisition does seem close to this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DiabloStarCraft posted:

That's the one class restriction. No dwarf mages, ever. Because the Demon Dream doesn't affect them or some trite bullshit I forget.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Dwarves can't do magic. They can't dream due to long term exposure to lyrium underground or something along those lines. They're the only locked race/class combination.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Guess I'm going to be a boring rear end female human mage then, and be a dwarf warrior on my second playthrough, if it warrants one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm no tech wizard but if you get the game on PC, there might be a rootkit as DRM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=928282

http://www.denuvo.com/

I heard rootkits can be quite dangerous for a pc.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ballz posted:

My wife did this and yes, I can confirm she is indeed a crazy person.

I'm fairly stoked for the new game myself, and the early super positive reviews (even by video game journalism standards) is promising. I literally beat DA2 for the first time last night and am glad I can pick up the story after only waiting for a week.

I was unbelievably tempted to order one, just because I wanted that tarot deck. The art is great. I just could't justify it as I didn't care about anything else in there. Hopefully they'll sell them separately on the Bioware store for an exorbitant price at some point.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I've seen two different videos with two different FemDwarf inquisitors being played, do they all look like skinny elf children now? Or is it just the depth of the character customization, and those people playing wanting their dwarves to look like elves?

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Lotish posted:

I'm one of the (apparently few) people who loved the hell out of both games precisely because they were different in interesting ways. I would love it if the series was like that - every odd game be a huge-rear end epic, and then every even game a focused but densely detailed microcosm of corruption/mystery that revolves around a very specific issue that has to do with the next game.

I nailed down some Fenris booty in DA2, and Varric's epilogue indicated he and Hawke stuck together. Does this mean Fenris might show up if I run into my former LadyHawke?

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Kurtofan posted:

I'm no tech wizard but if you get the game on PC, there might be a rootkit as DRM

Don't be a loving idiot.

"I have no technical knowledge on the matter but let me tell you this thing is definitely a root kit and will destroy your PC"

The only reason hate is being spread about it is because so far the 2 games that have used it have remained uncracked.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Don't be a loving idiot.

"I have no technical knowledge on the matter but let me tell you this thing is definitely a root kit and will destroy your PC"

I'm just worried, I am repeating what others have said about it.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 15, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Penakoto posted:

I've seen two different videos with two different FemDwarf inquisitors being played, do they all look like skinny elf children now? Or is it just the depth of the character customization, and those people playing wanting their dwarves to look like elves?

Female dwarves are basically hobbits now. :shrug: At least the Inquisitor is, anyway; we know there's at least one other female dwarf in the Inquisition, and she seem stockier than the Quiz.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Don't be a loving idiot.

The only reason hate is being spread about it is because so far the 2 games that have used it have remained uncracked.

Would you mind explaining this? While I don't think it'll destroy my PC I do know that a rootkit is bad. I assume it is simply to stop someone opening the .exe in a hexeditor or something?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DAI not being on Steam just makes me forget there is a PC version at all. Game is only on consoles as far as i'm concerned because gently caress Origin.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

What if you just use stuff like say Cheat Engine to get yourself a ton of gold or something in SP?

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

iGestalt posted:

Would you mind explaining this? While I don't think it'll destroy my PC I do know that a rootkit is bad. I assume it is simply to stop someone opening the .exe in a hexeditor or something?

It doesn't install drivers or anything that runs outside the game running (Unlike Starforce or the Sony CD DRM thing that actually was a rootkit), it just checks the executable and other key files haven't been modified, which is the way cracks work. They don't specify exactly how they do this however.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

AnimeJune posted:

I nailed down some Fenris booty in DA2, and Varric's epilogue indicated he and Hawke stuck together. Does this mean Fenris might show up if I run into my former LadyHawke?

Don't think it's confirmed on way or another. It would be interesting, though. We know Fenris's voice actor is back, but we don't know if he's playing Fenris.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

DAI not being on Steam just makes me forget there is a PC version at all. Game is only on consoles as far as i'm concerned because gently caress Origin.

What's it like in the distant past of 2012?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cole looks to be a bit more interesting, and hard to understand, than I was expecting. Its more like trying to work out what your own character is talking about if you play a malk in vampire the masquerade.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

evilmiera posted:

What if you just use stuff like say Cheat Engine to get yourself a ton of gold or something in SP?

then tough poo poo probably

maybe there'll be console commands for that? or .ini edits or something?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

What's it like in the distant past of 2012?

It's nice not having to gently caress around with broken software.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Origin has been perfectly fine for years.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Kainser posted:

Origin has been perfectly fine for years.

Yeah. Origin is no long poo poo-tier. It's acceptable with legitimately good support. uPlay is poo poo tier.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I still have zero patience for "Oh, I kind of want to play Battlefield, guess I better boot Origin and patch and ugh please kill me and all who made this" but it works fine aside from some odd outliers, the support is occasionally manned by real people and it no-longer roots around in your dataz.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anyways, how much mount DLC is this game going to have? I'm waiting for the monthly DLC mount packs to be announced (I would buy this).

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Lotish posted:

The American Male voice is the one I've heard most by this point, and it sounds really good. Wildly enough, it's the same voice actor who did Zevran in Dragon Age: Origins. He doesn't sound remotely like himself.

On the other hand, the English Male voice actor is the godson of the Duchess of York. So there's that, if you're into that sort of thing.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I ignored Origin ever since I reluctantly installed it in order to be allowed to play Mass Effect 3, but having used it and browsed through it's library of games recently, it doesn't seem so bad.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Hated Origin when it first came out. Locked up my computer for a few minutes every time it launched. Now it's pretty smooth, and the icons can be resized. It's alright for what it is.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Who are the female VAs?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Jennifer Hale and Aretha Franklin

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Jennifer Hale and Aretha Franklin
I'd pay $90 for the game if Aretha was a VA and sang all her lines.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Pork Pie Hat posted:

On the other hand, the English Male voice actor is the godson of the Duchess of York. So there's that, if you're into that sort of thing.
Hey, that's the reason I watch Christopher Guest (*ahem* do excuse me, Lord Christopher Haden-Guest, Fifth Baron Haden-Guest) and Jamie Lee Curtis (Lady Haden-Guest) films.

...oh wait, it's because they're actually awesome. Although the fact that they're minor nobility is hilarious.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Who are the female VAs?

Alix Wilton Regan (English) and Sumalee Montano (US)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3763912/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

iGestalt posted:

Yeah. Origin is no long poo poo-tier. It's acceptable with legitimately good support. uPlay is poo poo tier.

They fired that support around 2013ish ( it now takes a week plus to get a response, and it's always canned. After that they'll just never respond to you. ), and it's actually got several huge bugs that affect people with the latest revisions of Win7/all of Win8. Namely it'll hog your memory until it crashes itself/the game/your computer. Or sometimes it'll just crash even when it's supposed to be working. I've also had it eat my legitimate saves in both Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. This is all within the last 3-4 months mind you, so unless you are constantly using Origin you probably haven't run into these problems.

I'm actually curious how this thread will be in a few days. The last major Origin release was ME3, before the big bugs started affecting it. I mean I had problems with ME3's launch, but it wasn't until a few months later when I went back for a second round of DA2/ME3 did I actually have my saves eaten/crashfest. And it still hasn't been fixed because apparently EA thinks it's only tied to Win8 users ( it's not, it also affects my Win7 Laptop! ), and "that's not a large enough market share for us to worry.".

Anybody not playing this on the consoles/cracking it first is asking for disappointment ahead of time. As someone who buys literally everything on day one, I'd rather deal with Uplay then Origin most days. Then again, that's probably because I own so many Uplay games the client constantly gets a chance to update itself, and now just autologs me into games without question. Origin tries to faff around being a lovely storefront that breaks more often then not. Like I guarantee I'll have less problems getting my copy of Far Cry 4 working then I will this.

• Locked thread