Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone should really free us from the sacrifice posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
in narrative terms I understand and accept the 'moral conscience' role mother gisell is supposed to play in your inner circle. and she is written fine. but I hate her song and I hate her.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Zane posted:

in narrative terms I understand and accept the 'moral conscience' role mother gisell is supposed to play in your inner circle. and she is written fine. but I hate her song and I hate her.

Eh, after playing the first two games, Inquisition's attempts to rehabilitate the Chantry were too little too late. Letting murderpope clean house is still the best ending (though letting Vivienne lay the foundations for mage control of the Chantry is almost as good)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Zane posted:

Giselle needs to learn to keep her nose out of me and Dorian's business

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
Mother Giselle needs to tone down the ridiculous accent.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Eh, after playing the first two games, Inquisition's attempts to rehabilitate the Chantry were too little too late. Letting murderpope clean house is still the best ending (though letting Vivienne lay the foundations for mage control of the Chantry is almost as good)

I got murderpope as well. I wondered how Cassandra's and Vivienne's would go but liked the randomness of the game after I decided to not give my support to anyone.

Fangz posted:

I like cheesy nonsense moments in RPGs and wish there are more of them.
Me too. One of my favourite little character moments in a Bio game was shooting crap with Garrus on the Citadel's rooftops. I totally let him win just for his "I am Garrus Vikarian and this is my favourite spot in the Citadel!" That and "Modern Scientist Salarian" from ME2. Also loved the card game in DAI. Best moment in DAO was Sten and Dog growling at each other. "You are a true warrior and have earned my respect."

So I'm at the end. Finished the Solas romance and drat that was kinda beautiful... and I hate romances in video games. Knowing the whys behind it just make it better. Just about to do the final mission (had rl stuff delay me) and have a question or few to pose to you guys: how much equipment follows your Inquisitor and buddies to tresspasser? Do you and your mates keep their gear? Do you keep your inventory (like extra weapons, gold and the tons of crafting gubbins)? Your bank vault go with? Got some fade touched silverite I could make into some equipment for my guys but if they get their poo poo wiped then what is the point. Also I take it any gear Solas (or a pope if you made Viv or Cass that) are just gone, yeah?

Also I am still way in love with anything in the Deep Roads and loved the Deep Road DLC. I might be the only one but I would play the hell out of a Deep Roads spinoff from Dragon Age. Let me play a Legion of the Dead dammit! Or an Aeducan bastard all grown up. Hoping POE rubs off a little on BW as I want to quick switch weapons, more spells and guns for dwarves. I don't have to shoot often but would love having a Dwarf Tank use a blunderbuss as an opener. Also an alcohol based grenade that I could drink or use to make the darkspawn go boom.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can't recall exactly what gets carried over to Trespasser, but I know that you don't lose the gear you put on Cass or Viv if you make them Divine.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
woohoo, I finally bought this game. Loved the first, hated the second. Still seems impossible to make a non hideous player character without mods. Hooray!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Torrannor posted:

I can't recall exactly what gets carried over to Trespasser, but I know that you don't lose the gear you put on Cass or Viv if you make them Divine.

And at least in the case of Cass, you can still use her in Trespasser. Popetank! :catholic:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xibanya posted:

woohoo, I finally bought this game. Loved the first, hated the second. Still seems impossible to make a non hideous player character without mods. Hooray!

It's slightly easier if you go to the Black Emporium (free DLC) and use the magical mirror. The lighting there is different so there isn't weird green light and shadows screwing things up.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

It's slightly easier if you go to the Black Emporium (free DLC) and use the magical mirror. The lighting there is different so there isn't weird green light and shadows screwing things up.

Also goon recommended that I try a Dalish lady mage romancing Solas. It痴 been worth every bit. Bonus hilarity ensues if you stick to your own gods and think this whole chosen of andraste nonsense is just rubbish. I have to recommend doing it for at least one of your runs.
This game is tons of fun and well worth the price.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I just played six hours straight and I'm pretty sure I haven't left the first free roaming area yet (the bog standard RPG woods/mountains zone.) Yep, I'm having a good time. Still, I should probably get the story moving, haven't really had any good character moments yet, and building my way up to awkward sex scenes is half the point of playing a Dragon Age game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is a LOT of open world bloat in Inquisition and you should feel free to ignore 75% of it. All the good stuff is listed under Main Quest or Inner Circle, and you don't need to do that much free roaming to acquire the power you need to launch those missions. The only reason to do zonewide stuff is for pretty graphics, loot and companion chat.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But you must collect every single shard and complete every single astrargumgahjga. Them's the rules.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Inquisition's humongous bloat is part of the reason I rate it below DA2. DA2 has its own terrible map design but it's still fairly straightforward and easy to split into chunks. But I generally don't do well with open-world that's not MMO-based; too many options give me indecision paralysis.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's not even that it's big it's that most of it is uninspired, I'm still not really sure where to place Inquisition on that. There's a ton of procedurally generated nonsense quests that are basically the same grade as Hawke walking up to somebody in the street saying "hey I found your scarf/hat/corpse of your loved one" and getting :10bux: it's just that they're in a prettier world.

Also the third act is in a paid DLC instead of just a screeching death race to the end which is another opposite end of the spectrum problem. On the one hand you have to pay extra, on the other hand they got to pay attention and do it nicely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Agreed. Open world bloat is a big part of why I dislike Inquisition so much. The game's story and plot missions are good, shame about the other 90% of the game. In my opinion, Inquisition further combines this with terribly designed zones that are a pain to navigate. For all its flaws, Andromeda at least gives you a quick way to explore wilderness areas and the areas in question are far better designed (in layout and navigation if not visual design).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The game doesn稚 seem to reward playing tactically at this point. Does that ever change? As I recall in the first you had to start thinking tactically to do well starting from at least the mid game. Second game forget it because baddies always dropped in from the ceiling.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Shugojin posted:

It's not even that it's big it's that most of it is uninspired, I'm still not really sure where to place Inquisition on that. There's a ton of procedurally generated nonsense quests that are basically the same grade as Hawke walking up to somebody in the street saying "hey I found your scarf/hat/corpse of your loved one" and getting :10bux: it's just that they're in a prettier world.

Also the third act is in a paid DLC instead of just a screeching death race to the end which is another opposite end of the spectrum problem. On the one hand you have to pay extra, on the other hand they got to pay attention and do it nicely.

To be fair to DAI, DA2's third act doesn't even exist unless you deliberately go out of your way to play both DLCs juuust before the ending, so they're kinda similar in that regard.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Xibanya posted:

The game doesn稚 seem to reward playing tactically at this point. Does that ever change? As I recall in the first you had to start thinking tactically to do well starting from at least the mid game. Second game forget it because baddies always dropped in from the ceiling.
Not really. Even on nightmare the times I felt the need to use tac cam to do something other than have people chuck grenades I could count on one hand. I guess if you were really into that in DAO you'll miss it but otherwise it's just fight stuff, kill stuff, get loot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

There is a LOT of open world bloat in Inquisition and you should feel free to ignore 75% of it. All the good stuff is listed under Main Quest or Inner Circle, and you don't need to do that much free roaming to acquire the power you need to launch those missions. The only reason to do zonewide stuff is for pretty graphics, loot and companion chat.

Some of the side areas have semi interesting lore here and there. But yeah a lot of it is just bloat for sure. The one area I always hate after doing it is Hissing Wastes. It's soooooooooo big and there is no payoff from a story or (by that point) loot perspective either.

I'd be happy with a return to DA:O style of questing where there's a ton of side quests to do but for the most part the side quests are in the main quest hubs so you can kill two birds with one stone with them.

Or if they simply must do the big open world thing then at least do a Witcher style job of it. The Witcher 3 is gigantic but somehow despite that they manage to have 90% of the quests/side quests be interesting affairs with well written dialogue. It's kind of incredible to be honest. I've never seen a game that big manage to also have such good side quests.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Xibanya posted:

Jaws of Hakkon DLC with all the trials turned on was tough. In fact just the no-healing-potions trial in itself makes things quite difficult, doing In Hushed Whispers without any sort of mid-quest healing was a real gauntlet. The base game didn't have any especially hard encounters that I remember, though some dragons can be a challenge if you do them at the intended level.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If anyone is looking to pick this up on PS4 the GOTY edition is like $7 right now for the black Friday sale.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

Ginette Reno posted:

Some of the side areas have semi interesting lore here and there. But yeah a lot of it is just bloat for sure. The one area I always hate after doing it is Hissing Wastes. It's soooooooooo big and there is no payoff from a story or (by that point) loot perspective either.

I'd be happy with a return to DA:O style of questing where there's a ton of side quests to do but for the most part the side quests are in the main quest hubs so you can kill two birds with one stone with them.

Or if they simply must do the big open world thing then at least do a Witcher style job of it. The Witcher 3 is gigantic but somehow despite that they manage to have 90% of the quests/side quests be interesting affairs with well written dialogue. It's kind of incredible to be honest. I've never seen a game that big manage to also have such good side quests.
Hissing Wastes is there for using the Banter Cheat while running around.

I hope that DA4 will either take cues from Witcher 3 for the world and quest design, or go back to smaller, Kirkwall-style maps (with more detail and less reuse).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arctic Bunny posted:

I hope that DA4 will either take cues from Witcher 3 for the world and quest design, or go back to smaller, Kirkwall-style maps (with more detail and less reuse).

remember when the Andromeda folks said they were totally taking inspiration from Witcher 3's quest design and it turns out the literal only thing they did was "Witcher senses except it's a scanner"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I知 bummed out that one of the quest hubs is a bog with undead. Seems so overplayed and blah. I liked the coastal area, and I just unlocked the desert area so we値l see how that goes. Hinterlands does seem to have the largest number of quests in one continuous spot. I wonder if the devs overscoped there and then had to just throw everything else together after.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

I知 bummed out that one of the quest hubs is a bog with undead. Seems so overplayed and blah. I liked the coastal area, and I just unlocked the desert area so we値l see how that goes. Hinterlands does seem to have the largest number of quests in one continuous spot. I wonder if the devs overscoped there and then had to just throw everything else together after.

That bog is a pretty small area for what it's worth.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arctic Bunny posted:

Witcher 3 is one of the best games out there and well worth picking up the GoTY edition. Seriously, that game actually lives up to the hype.

So yeah... finished. drat. Have a ton of thoughts about the game. Hissing Wastes was, as Bull put it, a big empty nothing. Beautiful though and kinda fun to just run around and look at the moon but still... so much empty space.

Loved playing an elf though I still think I'm a Dwarf guy at heart. Found myself wanting to know so much more about that lost surface Thaig, Titans, Kal-Sharok (the Dwarven slaves mission table branch) and Shal-Brytol. Again, I would totally enjoy a smaller DA2 type spinoff game that was almost all Dwarfy action. Also want that Shal-Brytol bolter.

Drank from the well and I hope that "servitude" comes into play in future games, although I can guess it probably won't.The whole romance with Solas just made Tresspasser so much better... I don't even think a faithful Andraste run will come close. But yeah.... I almost want Solas to win now. Or try to win and hilariously gently caress it up and bring back everyone at full power who decide to resume the old war. It would radically change the world but it could make for a new game series that could be quite interesting. You working as an avatar of your god or titan to try and eek a win over the other guys. Swear I've played that game before.

Loved the whole "twist" with Solas and the returning Flemeth. There was a ton I really enjoyed about this game and I'm actually sad I'm done now. Felt the same about Witcher 3. Hell even felt the same about Skyrim. There is still a save in Skyrim where I go just randomly wandering about Blackreach or Solistheim. Every time I go by the last strider and hear its cry there is still this twinge in my heart. DA:I is not perfect but really drat good. I really do think Bioware shines when it comes to companions. Solas and Cole were my favourite but drat if I didn't like everyone. Even Sera and Vivienne grew on me. Loved Cole and did both his branches but settled on letting him stay a spirit. That final bit after the Pride quest just killed me. "Forget."

I hope we get a different scene for next game as it would be nice for something different. Except the Deep Roads. I really love the Deep Roads. They just need to add more narrow and tight corridors in between the vast caverns. Hit that claustrophobia button and mix in some darkspawn, mutated spiders and other blind shambling horrors. That and bring back DAO's wheel. I miss having access to every spell if I needed. Don't know if that is a console only problem but I hated only having what I had on my quickbar.

Good game and I hope people keep trying it out. Thanks DA:I thread for the recommendations; especially, Ginette Reno. Your suggestion led me from switching from male to female Dalish mage and it was worth it. I mostly tolerate romances in games but my Solas one was my hands down favourite. I actually got into it.Thank you goons.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Xibanya posted:

That area is not essential and is mostly a linear thing to an objective, there's one or two side bits but it's entirely skippable.

Once you do In Your Heart Shall Burn more areas open up. I do the Fallow Mire because it takes basically no time and gets you some decent stuff at the end, at least the judgement at Skyhold. I also quite like the pillars and lanterns summoning ghosts, even if they are just terrors.

Storm Coast is really nice and Forbidden Oasis has some interesting areas but is mostly one-note. Hinterlands is one of the biggest.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 29, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crestwood and that one DLC zone felt like the most well put together in terms of maintaining a coherent narrative that pays off at the end. The rest are just purely clearing out the map of orange icons and killing dragons while listening to party banter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Climbing one of the ruined Colosseum type things in Emprise du Lion and hearing the dragon pound on the ceiling and the dragon fight music start is still one of my favorite video gaming moments.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

exquisite tea posted:

Crestwood and that one DLC zone felt like the most well put together in terms of maintaining a coherent narrative that pays off at the end. The rest are just purely clearing out the map of orange icons and killing dragons while listening to party banter.

The Hissing Wastes has a story that you have to hunt out. There's few other reasons to go there except sightseeing, it's got some lovely views and I find it so peaceful to wander.

The Emerald Graves also has interesting lore if you're interested in that kind of thing, and a few living people to encourage you to follow it

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xibanya posted:

I知 bummed out that one of the quest hubs is a bog with undead.
The payoff for doing the story quest there is fantastic though.

eating only apples posted:

The Hissing Wastes has a story that you have to hunt out. There's few other reasons to go there except sightseeing, it's got some lovely views and I find it so peaceful to wander.

The Emerald Graves also has interesting lore if you're interested in that kind of thing, and a few living people to encourage you to follow it
HW has the best armor schematics for sale, and since it's so huge you can avoid everything except the spiders right by the vendor and go there right after you get Skyhold, so that's a plus.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The only area I'm ever bored of is Exalted Plains. I hate doing the ramparts and I don't think there's much of a story there. Even poo poo like Forbidden Oasis is just in-and-out to get its main quest, there's nothing to it, and Fallow Mire takes 30 minutes at worst to run through. Exalted Plains is massive, it's ugly, it's empty, and there's not much worthwhile there except one of Solas's quests. The elves there are okay, I like them, but they're hard work.

Let me tool around in the Hissing Wastes any day. Massive and empty and I love it. I like how huge the Western Approach is too. I like wandering out to the edge and looking at the Abyss. Also all of the enemy design out there and in the HW is really fun, big old dragony-pangolin feathery things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Von_Doom posted:

Good game and I hope people keep trying it out. Thanks DA:I thread for the recommendations; especially, Ginette Reno. Your suggestion led me from switching from male to female Dalish mage and it was worth it. I mostly tolerate romances in games but my Solas one was my hands down favourite. I actually got into it.Thank you goons.

Glad you enjoyed it. Solas is my favorite npc in Inquisition. Will be interesting to see where they take him in Da4.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
20 hours in and turns out Solas found a spare castle wedged in his couch cushions. I think he might be my favorite character so far mainly because he irritates me the least.

(I知 bitching but I知 still having fun.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

eating only apples posted:

It's the only place you can use a mount! Well, the only place it's worth it.
I did like the surface Thaig thing though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh boy, it's time to sacrifice posts again :toot:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xibanya posted:

20 hours in and turns out Solas found a spare castle wedged in his couch cushions. I think he might be my favorite character so far mainly because he irritates me the least.

(I知 bitching but I知 still having fun.)

Since this is a sacrifice post: :allears: x 10000000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Is this the last sacrifice post?

• Locked thread