Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

ShoogaSlim posted:

Didn't see a thread anywhere for this so I figured I would make one.

I saw this tonight in NYC and had high expectations going into it after only watching about half of the trailer (I don't like having too much plot ruined for me). I was a bit underwhelmed, unfortunately. The actors played their parts well and it was interesting to see Steve Carell take on a dramatic role like this, if anything he's shown that he's perfectly capable of playing parts like this in the future. There was no trace of Michael Scott or any other zany character he's played, just a pretty solid performance. Mark Ruffalo is especially sincere in his role and the chemistry between him and Tatum is pretty great. Tatum's strongest scenes are when he's by himself and you get a glimpse at the core of his character. That said, the chemistry and story development between characters was a little off, I blame the overall poor pacing. What could have been a fantastic movie turned out to just be somewhat decently solid but not really worth more than a single viewing, in my opinion.

e: apparently I'm the only person on the forums who has seen this movie :confused:

I saw this last night and I totally agree. I love the idea of taking a bizarre true story like this, giving it an appropriately dramatic treatment, and allowing it to play out like a tragedy, but the film just didn't quite pull it off. As you say, everybody involved does a solid job, but the different parts don't come together. I think the key problem is that the film sets up the dynamic (first Mark coming to the farm, then his falling out with John and Dave being brought in) and premise (John, representing the decline of American strength and vigour, sees in wrestling a chance to regain the glory of the past, but in trying to do so he pits brother against brother - thus also recreating the internecine conflict of America's history) well, but then hangs on one note for the rest of its running time. There was so much room in the last half of the movie for developing those themes that was simply left unused. It doesn't help that the film could really use some tighter editing; with just 10-15 minutes lopped off it would have been much punchier and would have done a better job of building up tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread