Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I Greyhound posted:

You dare suggest that a Call of Duty 2 headset in a basement with the heat off so the heater noise doesn't swamp out the sound isn't up to Goon Christmas standards?

Actually it might be nice to have a quick primer for people with ideas but not practice for next year.

Things like:
If there's a mic out there for vocals that is better than a headset or lifecam but not expensive,
if there is "one wierd trick for recording quality" (I had a lot of background hiss, but couldn't get audacity's hiss reduction working well enough to satisfy.)
I had stumbled through multi tracking with audacity last year (though for some reason every additional track ends up with a delay that has to be manually adjusted.)
Just come to the Musician's Lounge if you want to upgrade and learn about that stuff. No need to make potential participants think twice with even the suggestion of there being technical standards. That could just kill the spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just come to the Musician's Lounge if you want to upgrade and learn about that stuff. No need to make potential participants think twice with even the suggestion of there being technical standards. That could just kill the spirit.

All I'm saying is that you're either on board with lovely sound for xmas, which will lead to volume fuckery, or you're not. :bahgawd:

As for actually useful advice, I've heard good things about the Blue Snowball mic. It's not professional grade but it'll do the trick.

Also audacity is more of an audio editor. For multitracking, get Reaper.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 21, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If the volume levels are a problem, this tool can normalize MP3 files without re-encoding them; I can't remember the last time that I made a mix disk without it.

I've used this, and it does work.

I got hell today for "Ho Ho Ho, Its Christmas time" when visiting the folks. Had to give them my CD so it could be inflicted on others. Forgot which track "Santa Gay" was. They'll figure out which one they want to skip.

I thought to myself on the drive out- my dashcam records audio. I'm not afraid of my out of tune singing... I'm afraid of the context, forbid, if it was viewed by others.

jackcrackle
Dec 15, 2010
Moses! What's up?

http://youtu.be/60Ay97EHjV4

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
My heart just grew two sizes.

My holiday is now complete.

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
A friend of mine put this together, the lyric is "Est Nativitatis tempus et penis meis labet." which translates to "It is Christmastime and my penis is flaacid."

https://soundcloud.com/markjdaley/penismeislabet/s-VpOTy

I will submit it on his behalf for next year's album.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Man, I JUST thought of something that would have been great to do: a parody of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" titled "Ho Ho Ho Ho." I'm totally doing that for next year., though I'll have to somehow manage a choir. Maybe multitrack one female?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ManiacClown posted:

Man, I JUST thought of something that would have been great to do: a parody of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" titled "Ho Ho Ho Ho." I'm totally doing that for next year., though I'll have to somehow manage a choir. Maybe multitrack one female?

Better if you just try to sing as high a you possibly can. Then higher.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So far, I've gotten:

A high-tech Gaming Headset with mic and adapters
Plenty of Chocolates
Many socks and a few shirts
Snow pants
A vintage Iron Man poster
More mechanical pencils

And my membership to Alternate History forums back.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Grouchio posted:

So far, I've gotten:

Plenty of Chocolates
Snow pants
More mechanical pencils

And my membership to Alternate History forums back.

So do you know what thread this is, or...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Grouchio posted:

So far, I've gotten:

Plenty of Chocolates
Snow pants
More mechanical pencils

And my membership to Alternate History forums

did your parents get something besides crushing disappointment

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gotta admit, I first read his lost and sat there for a bit thinking 'uh, how's most of that going to help him record?'

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I listened to the playlist with my family this morning. It was a mix of laughs and awkward looks with me laughing constantly. Excellent work goons and happy holidays!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

"Christmas Cucumber In Da Butt" is the first song that's caused my wife to hit me when I refused to skip to the next track. The laughter I get from the high-pitched "It's cuuu-hu-hu-cumber tiiiime!" was worth it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

Haschel Cedricson posted:

"Christmas Cucumber In Da Butt" is the first song that's caused my wife to hit me when I refused to skip to the next track. The laughter I get from the high-pitched "It's cuuu-hu-hu-cumber tiiiime!" was worth it.

I'm stuck driving an ill relative for about 4 hours (total) tomorrow. I need a list of awful songs that aren't quite as bad as Santa Gay..

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Well that sucked.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm stuck driving an ill relative for about 4 hours (total) tomorrow. I need a list of awful songs that aren't quite as bad as Santa Gay..

how was your new years

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The more I listen to it the more I appreciate the pure genius in Cris Mas, what is it a parody of? Is it a parody? Why can't I stop reciting it in my head?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fredrik1 posted:

The more I listen to it the more I appreciate the pure genius in Cris Mas, what is it a parody of? Is it a parody? Why can't I stop reciting it in my head?
Nothing specific, just ridiculous head-up-rear end artsy "avant-garde" bullshit in general.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Santa (melanie), thank you so much! It appears your gift made it sometime after I left for my parents' house for the holidays. When I got back here I was in the midst of FOOD POISONING (which was a lot of :barf: ) and basically today was the first day I felt well enough to mosey on downstairs.

And what a goon bounty!

A handmade bee stocking! Oh wow, I love it! I don't have a stocking for my own house, so it's perfect.
A handmade scarf! You can never have enough in this frostbitten (ok, chilly) tundra.
Candyyyy!

There were also some wrapped packages.... and what was inside?

CHEEEEESE! I love cheese and as soon as I can process dairy again, these will be gone. :D
And a neat, signed picture book about brewing :)

Thanks Santa! <3
(Sorry I was so late posting)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

thepitgoddess posted:

Santa (melanie), thank you so much! It appears your gift made it sometime after I left for my parents' house for the holidays. When I got back here I was in the midst of FOOD POISONING (which was a lot of :barf: ) and basically today was the first day I felt well enough to mosey on downstairs.

And what a goon bounty!

A handmade bee stocking! Oh wow, I love it! I don't have a stocking for my own house, so it's perfect.
A handmade scarf! You can never have enough in this frostbitten (ok, chilly) tundra.
Candyyyy!

There were also some wrapped packages.... and what was inside?

CHEEEEESE! I love cheese and as soon as I can process dairy again, these will be gone. :D
And a neat, signed picture book about brewing :)

Thanks Santa! <3
(Sorry I was so late posting)

this song sucks, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love people's sheer inability to pay attention to the most basic poo poo :allears:

• Locked thread