Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually still have all of the previous year's albums on my site, but my site is down right now. I'll get it going again sometime soon, I guess. Jennyinstereo and I probably won't be taking part in what was a yearly tradition for her, since we have a 4-month-old son now.

When he's old enough we'll get him involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Scudworth posted:

Though I do wonder why this thread wasn't just put in CC this year.

Or ML! Too bad it's not stickied.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TrinityOfDeath posted:

My favorite thread of the year, every year.

Does anyone have the old albums they can host? I managed to lose them all when I moved to a new computer.

I'm working on it. I still have all the albums on my site, but my site's down. I'll get it fixed soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is still the thing I'm the most proud of, don't know about jennyinstereo:

http://tindeck.com/listen/xvok

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hands down, the truly funniest thing to ever come out of these compilations is O Holy Mouthpiece.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Von Bek posted:

I have been reduced to severe physical discomfort through laughter by several goon Christmas efforts, but this is right up there.

I'll be honest, most, if not all of the goon Christmas music incites nothing more than a 'heh' out of me, and that's only on my first listen. Don't get me wrong, I could love a track someone did without actually laughing at it, but still appreciating it.

O holy Mouthpiece gets true, genuine laughter every single time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know I only participated one year (versus my wife, Jennyinstereo's multiple-year-awesome-time-good-job awful xmas career), but goddamn, I'm proud of all of the work put into SA Goon Christmas IV: Merry Christmas and the Infinite Santa.

The efforts this year makes Hollycaust the sequel it deserves :golfclap: (I wasn't able to pay that much attention to last year's album, sorry).

EDIT: Also, tonight, I have a few hours free, I'm going to, once and for all, get my website up and running again, and you'll be able to access each album (2009-2012) individually for download. This is a Goon Promise(TM)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 5, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know I only participated one year (versus my wife, Jennyinstereo's multiple-year-awesome-time-good-job awful xmas career), but goddamn, I'm proud of all of the work put into SA Goon Christmas IV: Merry Christmas and the Infinite Santa.

The efforts this year makes Hollycaust the sequel it deserves :golfclap: (I wasn't able to pay that much attention to last year's album, sorry).

EDIT: Also, tonight, I have a few hours free, I'm going to, once and for all, get my website up and running again, and you'll be able to access each album (2009-2012) individually for download. This is a Goon Promise(TM)

There, I said I would, and I did. My site's theme isn't finalized (hah, like anyone here cares), my old theme apparently was hacked and caused a whooooole lot of trouble.

http://www.robotcousin.com/audio/awful-xmas-2012 (this includes the other years as well, but not 2013, sorry)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

squeakyneb posted:

Dude openbittorrent is dowwwwwn why did you do this? Give us another tracker to use? I can't turn DHT on because of some of the private trackers I'm with.

Just download them all from my site that I linked to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

squeakyneb posted:

Surprisingly not a stupid loving slow server. Thanks, nerd.

DreamHost! :black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

ahahahaha my boss just gave me permission to choose the music for the Christmas party.

Time to round up all the SFW hits!

You NEED 'O Holy Mouthpiece'.

NEED.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't mind hosting again, even for last year's as well. If anyone wants to quickly point me in the direction of last year's .rar file, I'll try and remember to put it online tonight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

SUBMISSION

I need to corner the priest at Christmas Mass this year and confess. This is nigh unforgivable.

Oh my god, this is appalling.

Good work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Scudworth posted:

3 of the files have tag issues, and one's still a .wav (unless that was on purpose...)

I remember (for the 2012 album) taking a shitload of time working on the order of the tracks, the tagging, and a bit of volume normalising. I tried to treat it as much as an actual album release as possible, which really could have benefitted from having the original wav versions of all of the tracks to begin with, but there was pretty much no way I was going to be getting those from every submitter.

That being said, I commend you, Haschel, for your efforts; it can definitely be a pain,and it sucks when stuff gets missed, especially after uploading.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Did anyone ever track down the first three years worth of albums? These are fantastic.

I posted them a while ago, but they're on my site - > http://www.robotcousin.com/audio/awful-xmas-2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Viggen posted:

Not to harp on this, but this is the first collection I actually found myself physically reaching for the volume knob for (despite buttons on the steering), because it didn't really have any cohesive volume between the songs. Thanks for getting this together and bringing it to us.

Haschel, I had 3 of your songs on my 'mix tape CD' yesterday when I had to drive the parental unit to a doctor out of town. "He'll bring you coal" was a favorite. By the time we got there, "Ho Ho Ho (Its Christmas Time)" was actually being hummed aloud- and not by me. It played one time. :psyduck: Somehow, CDBurnerXP didn't tell me I accidentally stuck two "Das Sexy Reindeer Danz" on it, so I heard it four times. No complaints. :dance:

No, harp away! It was far from perfect, and there's just so much I can do with songs that weren't recorded/produced with the same or similar levels of care (and some not at all). I tried not to change many of the tracks, as even adjusting an mp3's volume means re-encoding which I absolutely hated doing. I remember Farmer Hank's Carol of the Bells cover was wonderfully too loud, and Koivunen's (sp?) "A little Fall of Snow" was barely audible, so some adjustments were made when they could be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If the volume levels are a problem, this tool can normalize MP3 files without re-encoding them; I can't remember the last time that I made a mix disk without it.

Good to know! Aside from goons just recording their stuff better (:argh:) and/or sending an original wav file, this looks to be the best option! Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just come to the Musician's Lounge if you want to upgrade and learn about that stuff. No need to make potential participants think twice with even the suggestion of there being technical standards. That could just kill the spirit.

All I'm saying is that you're either on board with lovely sound for xmas, which will lead to volume fuckery, or you're not. :bahgawd:

As for actually useful advice, I've heard good things about the Blue Snowball mic. It's not professional grade but it'll do the trick.

Also audacity is more of an audio editor. For multitracking, get Reaper.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 21, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gotta admit, I first read his lost and sat there for a bit thinking 'uh, how's most of that going to help him record?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love people's sheer inability to pay attention to the most basic poo poo :allears:

• Locked thread