Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaceFat
Jul 12, 2004
SUBMISSION:

I submitted a couple of tracks last year, so I decided to push myself to do it again. Really poppy, but it descends into some madness in the bridge and the ending. I'll attach the lyrics too since I'm still learning how to properly mix vocals. Made this one basically safe for work. I'm tired of tweaking minuscule details, so here it is!

Lyrics posted:

It's Christmas time
And it's gonna get hot
Wanna wrap your body
Put my coal in your sock

Such nasty dreams
Reindeer in the dark
I forgot you don't like when I talk this way
I made a mistake, I'm gonna stop, okay?

I can't wait to spend time together
Locked indoors during inclement weather
Tensions rise and nothing gets better
To tell you the truth, I hate the holidays with you

Oh, I know we're gonna keep on fighting
And meither of us ever hides it
No time for holiday cheer
Gonna try not to cause a Christmas argument
This year

It's Christmas time
But nothing's going on
You won't sit beside me
You won't tell me what's wrong

Guests are arriving
It's almost noon
Can I just say sorry, can we please move on?
I'm sick of this Christmas battleground

I can't wait to spend time together
Locked indoors during inclement weather
Tensions rise and nothing gets better
To tell you the truth, I hate the holidays with you

Neither of us ever hides it
Gonna try not to cause a Christmas argument
This year

Neither of us ever hide it
Can you try not to cause a Christmas argument?
This year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceFat
Jul 12, 2004
Thanks everyone for the comments! I've been pretty seriously making music/trying to make it in music for a few years now, so this is basically all I do all the time. I really like doing things with a theme on occasion, so this project is a lot of fun.

onionmaster posted:

This is legitimately good. I could imagine it actually being a hit. And I love the mad pitch shifted parts. It reminds me strongly of Gregg Alexander's style of songwriting.

I really wanna know what you use to make it sound so good too.

I won't go too crazy into detail about the gear I'm using, but basically I've got a decent vocal mic (Shure KSM32), Rokit 8 studio monitors, an Apollo Quad recording interface, and a whole bunch of analog gear simulating plugins that work with it (like compressors and tape machines). I use Ableton Live for all of my recording (started learning on it, so I stuck with it), and I do a little bit of mastering with iZotope Ozone. Basically a bunch of stuff I've been accumulating and upgrading over the years. And then some guitars and synth plugins and all the usual stuff too.

Overall, it's actually a fairly basic production setup because I don't have any patience when I get an idea. I just want it done/captured ASAP so I can move on.

My non-joke music is usually mixed by a pro guy that I work with, but my joke stuff has always just been done by me. And Gregg Alexander is great. Super underrated guy in the industry.

I can post some links to some other stuff I've done if you're interested. I just don't want to hijack this thread too much. Maybe a tiny bit though. ;)

• Locked thread