Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

:siren: Download "Hollycaust" here! :siren:

Right now is my favorite time of year, because it's the time where goons record the worst Christmas album we can imagine. This will be our sixth album, and the quality (by which I mean the lack thereof) keeps getting better (by which I mean worse), so I have high hopes for this year.

The rules are simple: Write and record an awesome Christmas song. What makes a song awful? That's up to you! In the past we've had inappropriate lyrics, poorly-played instruments, vocals of dubious quality, frivolous banality, or soul-crushing repetition. The goal is to make it so that the first reaction to hearing your track is "What the hell IS this?"

This year, the deadline will be December 14. That should give us plenty of time to come up a spectacular tracklist while still leaving us enough time to share these songs with others, preferably while at a giant Christmas party or while trapped in a car on the way to Grandma's house.

Need some inspiration? Here is where you can find all three discs of last years' album. The previous albums appear to no longer be hosted, but I'll see if I can track them down and upload them myself.

Here are the threads from previous years:

A Something Awful Christmas - two whole albums full of musical blasphemy!

A Something Awful Christmas Part Deux - Let's make more Christmas "music"!

Something Awful Christmas III - Let's make more Christmas "music" Again!

A Something Awful Christmas IV - Download the finished album of holiday horrors now!

[War On Christmas] The 5th Annual Something Awful Christmas Album... IS COMPLETE

How should I host my song?

The go-to site for this sort of thing seems to be Tindeck.

How do I submit a song?

Just post a link to it in this thread, along with the phrase " SUBMISSION " somewhere in your post. Please save it in an mp3 format.

I want to participate, but I'm not very good at music.

That's okay, and even encouraged! However, if you don't want to record, in the past people have written lyrics and got them sung by other goons. If art is more your thing, we will need an album cover!

Give me a few more examples for inspiration!

It's hard for me to pick favorites, but here's a few that I think represent the different kinds of awful we're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHwhKwJypE4

Once the submissions are all in, I'll set up a tracklist and make the whole album available for download. So get in that Christmas spirit, and let's hear what you've got!

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Von Bek posted:

Wow, I was wondering if this would even happen this year since GBS went to poo poo :ohdearsass:

Last year we named the album after that poo poo!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

King Lou posted:

Here are my old submissions as well as my Top 10 Holiday countdown.

I'm hoping to crank something new out soon. Personally "Why can't you be real santa" is my favorite because i recorded it at my desk at my old job. My assistant thought I was crazy.

Don't forget your first song about the kid who got socks while his brother got cool stuff!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I Greyhound posted:

I felt like trying my hands at one of these, so here is a
NEW :siren: SUBMISSION :siren:
Ripped from the top pop charts of today, it's Presents (Makin' Toys)

This is amazing.

Tomorrow I should have a song recorded. I have another one planned as well, but it's a duet and I'll have to track somebody down to do the Santa vocals.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

onionmaster posted:

We'll have to get a collab done. I don't have a platinum account (yet) so can't PM you (I was unaware that was restricted until today)

Just off the top of my head. How about a charity song to raise awareness of misandry, sung by an guy in maximum security prison? Rapped by Jar Jar Binks, over the below tune (with sleighbells added), with an operatic metal chorus, and with a screamed breakdown towards the end. I can't think of a more horrible combination.

Last year I tried to make "Baby It's Cold Outside" even more date-rapey and MRAish than it already is. Maybe you could succeed where I failed.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

J.theYellow posted:

Another favorite from last year that no one but goons will care about or understand.

You have no idea how hard it was to convince my co-vocalist to do this.

"There's a guy on the Internet... well, have you heard of Kickstarter? Never mind, trust me, other people will get the lyrics."

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Woo, I finally had time to record.

SUBMISSION

Remember, the deadline is approaching!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

ahahahaha my boss just gave me permission to choose the music for the Christmas party.

Time to round up all the SFW hits!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'm going to try to 11th-hour something. If it ends up not being garbage I will submit it. What's the hard deadline?

The soft deadline is once I start compiling everything into a .rar, which will happen sometime Sunday evening PST. The specifics depend how how needy my one-year-old feels that evening.

I'll probably make a "Last Call" post before I start.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

simplefish posted:

I think as long as it hasn't been on a goon christmas album you should be fine. But this is the first year I've heard about the album.

e: also nice job on the remix!

That is indeed correct.

I'm going to start working on track order now, but submissions are still open.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Sorry, everyone; yesterday wound up being much busier than I thought. The new estimated release time for the album is this evening after I get home from work.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Alright, minor technical difficulties, so it'll be one more day.

As consolation, here's a last-minute track I made for the album:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Alright, everything took longer than I thought, but everything is uploaded!

Download "Hollycaust" here!

Excellent job, everyone; there are some real standout tracks this year.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Scudworth posted:

3 of the files have tag issues, and one's still a .wav (unless that was on purpose...)

Dammit, they appeared fine in ITunes.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Red Sleigh is Disc 1, track 4. Polar Express is Disc 1, Track 5. Jaden yo is Disc 1, track 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

"Christmas Cucumber In Da Butt" is the first song that's caused my wife to hit me when I refused to skip to the next track. The laughter I get from the high-pitched "It's cuuu-hu-hu-cumber tiiiime!" was worth it.

• Locked thread