Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Awww yeah looks like I'm only gonna need like five coaches and none of them are super important ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I have someone with lots of previous HBD experience who may be interested in the NLE team. Waiting to hear back from him.

Soxy's coming back :unsmigghh:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I want some established starting pitching type dudes and just about any minor leaguer I have is available to get this done.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

17 teams in for fielding coaches great

I love you Rick Newman thank you for being a friend

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Devo posted:

Sean Creek status: Gettin' Paid

$110mm contract, no trade, last season player option

Sean Creek's agent: "You know, they raised the minimum wage. Other franchises are offering more."

gently caress you, Sean Creek's agent.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

You know for all that art gets called out in this thread, I don't think I get called out for being a bad owner nearly often enough. I'm actually considering a trade with art that, in the long run, I think he wins, and I'm still considering it.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

It's a great trade and you should do it because you rule as a person and we are best friends.

I'm so bad at this game

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Del Lorenzo: The syphilis of the AL North. How the hell is there so much in-division trading in this division

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Then I'm bad at this game for not recognizing that, I fall way too in love with my own dudes.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

chutwig posted:

I think this is my chief failing, an excessive desire to roll with the guys I drafted and developed.

I'm so bad about this, "I don't want to make this trade/sign this free agent, I've got (objectively worse prospect I signed/traded for three seasons ago) in AA right now, surely he's ready to make the jump!"

See: Edward Fleming, Diego Peralta, Santiago Guillen, Trot Henley, countless others over the years

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Devo posted:

Boy I am not landing any FAs at all and I'm going to have a ton of money left over

Yeah whoever bid up Julio Blanco over the last day or two is an rear end in a top hat

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

gardenald posted:

Yeah whoever bid up Julio Blanco over the last day or two is an rear end in a top hat

Did not think that I'd land him. I was sure someone went to five years and this is definitely too much money but still :woop:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

uublog posted:

Oh gently caress you gardenald, I offered Blanco 5 years/$60M, with a player option and no-trade, and you beat me with 4 years/$51.5M plus a $10M bonus, a mutual, and no-trade. Suddenly I have extra money that idk what to do with

Higher total contract value suckaaaa

Apparently that's all that really matters even though I'm totally dumping my end of the option in year 4

e: aaaand that's my last move of the offseason prolly, so may I present your s30 Chicago Barons (after 20 games of course)

C: Julio Beltran
1B: Hector Head
2B: Hunter Peters
3B: Carlos Sivilla
SS: Les Witt
RF: Julio Blanco
CF: Edward Fleming
LF: Diego Peralta
DH: Trot Henley

Bench Dudes
C Vinny Kobayashi
Util Santiago Guillen
2B/CF Javier Sierra
OF Torey Castillo
PH Rob Dunn

SP1: Jimmie Garces
SP2: Ismael Ayala
SP3: Del Lorenzo
SP4: Erubiel Sojo
SP5: Brandon Jackson
LRA: Asdrubal Valenzuela
LRA: Vladimir Cruz
SRA: Bo Chamberlain
SRA: Shooter Mercker
SRA: Gary Griffin
SRA: Rafael Romero

gardenald fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 28, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Okay there's one guy I really like in the Rule 5 and whoever gets him (because it won't be me) I will give you several minor leaguers for him

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I wish I realized that Rule 5 Offer Back put the dude on waivers, I was just trying to give Pittinger back to Trenton to be a decent guy :saddowns:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

My HOF ballot:
Eddie Burke, Mateo Cordero, Omar Melendez, Francisco Ramirez, Ken Toombs

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

The Mark Cobb for HOF has to start this year as well. He is the pitching version of McKay Duffy, and i will not rest until he's made it. Hopefully he retires a Vandelay after this season.

Nnnnnaaahhhhhhh

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

My pitching staff heading into this season might be the best one i've ever constructed

Raul Bethancourt
Daniel Ramirez
Erubiel Beltre (currently injured for another 3 weeks)
Darin Rauch
Ahmed Hubbard

Relievers
David Gomez
Richard Wang
Teddy Blake
Mark Cobb
Victor Tavarez
Houston Strickland
Jackie Eyre
Pedro Molina
Endy Mori

Ew Dick Wang's still kicking around

A pitching staff with Dick Wang and Mark "Mark loving Cobb" Cobb = not a very good pitching staff

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I didn't even notice that Egan had his first sub-1.000 OPS season in s29

Still a valuable DH on that contract though

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

uublog posted:

double post because Benny Carreras has already matched his home run total from last season (2)

he's hitting .619/.652/.952 :staredog:

SSS now and forever

Don't worry he'll go back to being Benny Carreras soon enough

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

this other Chicago franchise can just gently caress right off though

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Seven unearned on one error. Yeah, okay.

Clearly not Ayala's fault :colbert:

Shooter Mercker has some 'splainin to do though

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

you guys I'm starting to think i might actually have a good team this season

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

nasboat posted:

Look at our pythags right now :(

Look at those one run games :psyduck:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Oh hey Julio Blanco, what's up, what've you been up to lately

Oh not much just hitting for a natural goddamn cycle that's all no big

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Merry Christmas jerks I hope you all go 0-162

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Extra inning games too

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I have 9 picks in the first 92

I have 4 million dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFL-0_XBflc

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

gently caress the heck is this guy's skillset

his skill set is sucks

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

My scouts are still all "Nichwho?"

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

i got a bad third baseman :toot:

I got a bad college pitcher yaaaay

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Tbh if you're playing the IFA game art is absolutely right, it's a gamble. I've had multiple seasons where I wound up sitting on $15-20m in prospect budget because the good IFAs never showed up. Of course, my takeaway from that was 'gently caress IFAs' not 'double down on the first halfway decent dude to show up' but :shrug:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Scrotos posted:

The rule to take away is the one AV always says, "You bid what you think the player is worth right away and never move, unless its end of season spend money time."

That's also a gamble, unfortunately. All it takes is one person not doing that for each IFA and you end up empty handed at the end of the season. I mean, I get it, Feliz isn't a guy I would've gone all in on, especially as one of the first IFAs of the season, but I understand generally where art's coming from on this.

tatankatonk posted:

davewillie...???

Did not see that one coming

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Atheistdeals.com posted:

It's nice that I lost 2 of 3 to Chicago even with their pitcher spot batting 3rd. Jerry Sizemore sucks and I regret re-signing him.

Forgetting to set non dh lineups for interleague play whatup

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

This dude is probably the top player in the 7jerry7 draft. If he actually makes those projections, he's probably the best reliever i've ever seen.

Could certainly use this guy in Dimaggio.

spoilers: he won't

a 20 year old with 45 makeup ain't getting 30+ points in every category

I mean he'll probably still be a useful reliever but

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

chutwig posted:

i want to die

RIP @pats_weeney

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

You know I think Julio Blanco might be my first Home Run Derby guy

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Cory Lidle posted:

Kinda like 5-6 people TCing me every offseason saying "I like Kennie O'Brien, what would you want?" and I say "prospects... duh" and I hear either nothing or get offered some 27 year old in his third arb year.

I want Jennie Orbien back I miss him and trading him was the worst mistake I've ever made in Dimaggio

e: my ditrs are mostly junk but thanks anyhow ditr day for reminding me that I drafted a dude named Scott Snodgress a few seasons ago

gardenald fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 11, 2015

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I'm a buyer I guess? I don't know I kind of like my team as is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Capt Murphy posted:

Everything is for sale. Please sit and enjoy this cup of mint tea, and let us haggle over this Al Gutierrez.

Perhaps I can interest you in some of Chicago's fine pork products while we chat about the corpse of the Lich King

• Locked thread