Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh there's a new thread, WHOOPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Salem offseason excitement: I accidentally forgot to re-sign Willie Aquino and then got him uncontested for original asking price

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

For posterity's sake I did the old "hey I saw Todd Davis on the trade block, what are you looking for" attached to something like Norberto Ayala, Tucker, and Felix Masato and well that showed up as the counteroffer. I am as confused as everyone else to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMdwFkO8xA0

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

uublog posted:

Albert Mangual 5 years/$33.6M

lol

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Your drastically changed S30 Salem Saberhagens:

Starting Lineup:
C: Shayne Kearns- Kearns is replacing Juan Tavarez as the middling PC/decent power usual starter after Juan Tavarez had two seasons of lameness.
1B: Vladimir Thompson - 5 points off of OPSing 1.000 last season, 54 more dingers than anyone else in franchise history, pretty happy with this guy.
2B: Nate Floyd - I feel like the second half of every season with this guy aggressively swings one way or the other. Quietly third in franchise stolen bases, although he's not catching #1.
3B: Chris Harper - He's effectively replacing Rigo Nunez and that's the best thing about him
SS: Gerardo Sanchez - Surprisingly solid offensive and defensive season last year, made the slight overpay after he opted out totally worth it. Among shortstops, he's got 112 more franchise plus plays than #2 David Gandarilla.
LF: Slim Green - Coming off of a down season but still pretty great and pretty consistent.
CF: Alex Ransom - Still not the same as pre-injury Alex Ransom, but I still love the guy. 28 dingers away from passing Reggie Russell on the franchise record list.
RF: The Gill Hooper Experience - Leading off and stealing Salem's hearts at a really high percentage, it'll be interesting to see if his power spike from last season was just a fluke.

Bench:
RF: Everett Sierra - The most notable guy in this situation, having slugged .521 with 18 dingers last season. Former #1 overall Rule V draft pick who turned into a waiver wire gem.
2B: Bill Floyd - The Other White Floyd at 2B, he's stuck around and been pretty useful every season since I got him
C: Jorge Santos - Backup C with good PC and no business facing a right-handed batter ever, has the potential to be replaced by awful De Aza Iglesias
1B: Maicer Polanco - He's left-handed and had three at bats last season
LF: Ren Lee - A right-handed Maicer Polanco, only with a more satisfying OVR to look at in a depth chart

Starters:
SP1: Chick Wehner - If he isn't injured, he's a godsend. He still has 96 health after the first freak injury, so cha-ching.
SP2: Geraldo Fernandez - Pretty amazing in his own right, even if he's in Wehner's shadow. Any IP issues are taken care of by Todd Hutchinson~
SP3: Yoo-Nah Kim - Rose from the ashes after starting S28 like 0-9 and returned to generally awesome form.
SP4: Lewis Stammen - The last remainder of Philbar on the team, and he's pitched the last few season like it. We believe in you Lewis!!!
SP5: Larry Haynes - Whether he honks it like S28 or does above-average work like last season, he's not Rubby James and that's what's important.

Bullpen:
LR: Rubby James - General insurance starter, single-handedly saved the wild card spot last season taking over for Lewis Stammen.
SuA: Todd Hutchinson - Has appeared in 235 more games as a pitcher than anyone in franchise history, and holds the bullpen together hardcore.
SuA: Willie Aquino - The guy 235 games behind Hutchinson in appearances and another bullpen fixture.
SuA: Junior Rosa - The other other RP, filling the role previously belonging to Alejandro Alvarez and Peter Higashioka.
SuB: Rigo Galvez - It isn't Salem without a Rigo and he pitched 8 scoreless innings last season so vOv
SuB: Sid Romano - Replacement level innings! Several of them!
Mop: Jorge Mercedes - I drafted 9 of these guys, someone has to be the 9th best draft pick.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Louis Watson is my spirit agent

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

gardenald posted:

Okay there's one guy I really like in the Rule 5 and whoever gets him (because it won't be me) I will give you several minor leaguers for him

There are several guys in the Rule V who I'd trade any 5 minor leaguers in my system for

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda wish I posted my ballot because I forgot who I voted for besides Burke/Melendez/Toombs/Ivan Manuel.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

Trey Sellers making $18,000,000 to sit on the bench

and then $16m and then $14m. :chanpop:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Gill Hooper dinger + Chick Wehner triple in game one :getin:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Because of some fuckery with Rule V picks (I couldn't DFA Robert Beck before he processed through waivers, and that made me lose Lou McDowell) your S30 Saberhagens just came together:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

chutwig posted:

perfect glorious balance has been achieved, the NLE is the zen division

So is the NL West :(

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

In unrelated news, I never would have guessed that Slim Green had been with Salem for long enough to acquire 10/5 rights after this season (if he weren't testing FA, natch).

Honestly, I wouldn't have either. vOv

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6223919 Guys Sean Street won his first career game in the minors!!!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I hope TMB and TBB make some trades and some Los Angeleses become Los Angeleses.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Saberhagen team goals: crush Julian Melendez's spirit

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Kinda excited to be tied with AV at the top of the NL since I've had a series with all 5 other .500+ pythag teams in the NL so far. I almost made it through that stretch without dropping a series, but atheistdeals had to win 3 one-run games :P

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Behind the scenes footage of Salem's S30 international scouting department at work:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm tempted to just keep firing backup catchers into the sun, Jorge Santos OPS'd .232 and now Salem's 1-4 in games with Tom Smith and 30-10 in games without him :11tea:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

did I say anibal beltre has a 2.36 ERA in 61 innings sorry I meant a national league leading 2.06 ERA in 70 innings

lmao wtf

Anibal Beltre is a turd but he was originally my turd so :911:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Holy Moly at John Yoshii

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also on the topic of holy molies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Okay, I've had about enough of Salem for one season

By like tomorrow I'll have played 17/20 out of my Cleveland and New Orleans games for this season. :mufasa:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Devo posted:

You know what time it is??? It's HS Draft Prospect Ranking TIME!!!

Starting Pitchers

1) Tony Glynn (87) - Unless there's some super college stud I can't see this is the sure fire A-1 can't miss top pick of the draft. He's potentially the best LHP in the entire world when he's done growing. His only knock is a low velocity but who gives a poo poo?

2) Brian Rader (73) - This is one of those times I hope I'm missing somebody because wow that dropped off quickly. Brian is a guy. He throws with his left hand. He will probably pitch in the major leagues for eight or ten seasons and make a small amount of millions each season doing so. No one is ever going to say, "Yay I got Brian Rader!"

3) Dustin Thomas (72) - Swing man with really good peripherals and mediocre to bad splits. Basically he's the kind of guy I like to sign cheaply which is probably why my pitching staff is falling apart these last couple seasons.

4) Herm Tebeau (71) - RHP who is decent to good everywhere except control. He'll get plenty of action on teams that like to play around with low control guys and also rebuilding squads.

5) Chance Roache (68) - Chance Roache is trash and he's ranked 22 on my default board. Hoo boy.

Relief Pitchers

1) Billy Wood (73) - A lefty peripheral monster with mediocre/bad splits. He can pitch a lot of innings as a reliever if he doesn't get knocked out of games too early.

2) Henry Borders (73) - Interesting STA/DUR combo here where both are in between what a typical starter or reliever would have. I'm not really sure how many innings to peg this guy at. He's decent but not outstanding; his weak left split and P2 are holding him back a bit.

3) Wesley Beam (71) - A high durability reliever with outstanding pitch ratings and control. Splits are good but not great. He should pitch a lot of innings for someone as a main SuB type.

4) DJ Kydd (70) - Has kind of a stupid name but he should be a decent ML SuB. Left split is a little weak but he's got great control and a great P1 rating and he can pitch in a lot of games with his durability.

5) Turner Woodall (64) - His OVR is really hurt by his STA/DUR combo. He's not going to pitch a ton of innings but he'll get a lot of action on rebuilding teams. Could be a tandem B pitcher I guess if you want to get crazy with your rotations?

Catcher/DH

1) Lee Nichting (75) - Lee is a really good defensive catcher who can actually swing the bat a bit. Add in his high durability and he's like a baby Vinny Stewart with less power. He will be a highly sought after player and I could see him getting bounced around a lot of teams as a primo trade chip.

2) Doug Yelich (70) - He has a few decent ratings here and there but as a total package they just don't fit together. He can play a decent but not great catcher. He has great contact without the speed or splits to really use it. He really screams Quad A to me.

3) Reagan Nilsson (63) - The Good: He has a potential max pitch calling rating and great power. The Bad: He has completely terrible splits and batting eye. The Ugly: He's made of glass and might never achieve his potential after 16 injuries in the minors.

First Base/DH

1) Horacio Montanez (82) - Any time a player has a projected 82 rating and is listed as a first baseman you know the bat is going to be legit. Horacio has enough power to get by but he's not a monster there by any means. His value comes in his contact/right split/batting eye combo which will make him an on base machine. I peg him more as a DH but teams that care less about 1B defense could play him there. It really all comes down to if you'd rather have your 1B/DH hit 50 dingers or OBP .430. Most of us don't get a guy who can do both.

2) Tanner Harrison (77) - Harrison is a much better defensive 1B than Montanez but his bat is the opposite type. He'll knock 40-50 balls over the wall for you without much effort but with his lower splits and eye he'll probably struggle to OBP much over .350 in most parks. If gyroball doesn't draft him you should consider trading him to gyroball because he will give you guys for him.

Second Base

1) Louie Herman (82) - Someone is going to get stuck with Louie and if they're drafting anywhere near the top they should be ashamed of themselves. Welcome to inflated OVR Hell. Herman has absolute poo poo range for a 2B/CF without the arm to even pretend to play 3B. His contact/speed is top notch but his splits are mediocre at best, his batting eye is blah, and his power is negative. Then again he's got an 82 OVR so he's gotta be good.

2) Zach K'aaihue (71) - THE RANDOM NAME GENERATOR HAS BLESSED US IN THIS MOST HOLY OF SEASONS. Superb defensive 2B, Triple A level bat.

3) Harry Benoit (68) - Doesn't really have the defensive chops to play 2B on most teams. Has ok contact/power but overall his bat isn't that great. Might abuse steroids and kill his family after years of head trauma.

Third Base

As usual this is a wasteland

Shortstop

1) Andre Hunter (78) - On paper looks like a good enough shortstop to get by in the majors for a long time. But if you look closer you notice that if he doesn't hit absolutely 100% of his defensive projections he's going to be an overrated scrub whose bat can't carry him on the hot corner. Buyer beware.

2) Danny McEnerney (75) - Does anyone want a 3B with no power at all? Because ultimately that's what you're getting here. On the positive side he hits lefty and with his right split and eye he should get on base a pretty good amount. Just don't expect anything but singles and walks.

3) Henderson Williams (73) - Another guy who can hold down the SS position if he hits all his defensive ratings to the max. But he's got a long way to go on a couple of them and his bat is no great shakes at any other position on the field. The 50 makeup is not going to help matters one bit.

4) Dave Carter (71) - He will play 3B on someone's AAA team and take up a space on their 40 man until one season they realize they're paying him over 70k for no reason whatsoever and DFA him into the cold, dark night.

5) Bernie Lopez (70) - Max power, monster defender. The rest of his bat package sucks but if Lopez's health/makeup don't hold him back he could easily be the gem of this SS class.

Left Field

1) Troy Borland (79) - Yet another inflated OVR guy. Good contact and ok eye with bad splits and power for a COF. Has ok speed but not enough to abuse that contact. Bad health means he may not even make these lovely ratings to begin with.

Center Field

Nothing to see here from my scouts

Right Field

1) Brett Charles (65) - Top guy my scouts see here is a platoon masher against lefties. Probably more of an LF than an RF. At least he should be pretty good at the one thing he can do with his bat.

2) Yamid Villalona (63) - If you can manage to draft both Charles and Villalona you will be able to fill one position on the field using only two roster spots! He's fairly identical to Charles only he hits righties instead of lefties.

Top 5!

This is actually pretty hard to rank because there are a lot of highly flawed potential busts up in here

1) Tony Glynn - #1 with a bullet. He will knock teams around for 18 seasons and then enter the Hall of Fame.
2) Lee Nichting - Legit defensive catchers who can hit and play every day are a rare breed.
3) Horacio Montanez - I don't usually like ranking a DH this high but his bat somewhat warrants it and his competition isn't fierce.
4) Tanner Harrison - Balls over the walls, y'alls.
5) Wesley Beam - What can I say? I'm a sucker for guys with monster pitch ratings.

Eugene Sheldon's the guy filling the HS starter dropoff between Glynn (who I don't actually see) and Rader.

E: quoting for the new page + shameful snipe

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm on a phone traveling back from Christmas or I'd do it, but someone screencap KING WOLF *awooooo*

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whoa awesome, I didn't think I'd get a comp pick for James Chen because he upped his asking price to like $5m and I couldn't swing that last season. I thought I'd have to live with pulling a Philbar and just losing a pick entirely, yay.

Setting up a draft board is so weird with lopsided scouting, I have no idea which high school guys to expect to make it to the 20s.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Please tell me someone else had no idea Leo Egan had a 66 OVR now, that's insane to me. Post-Egan Dimaggio is gonna seem really weird.

Also I'd like to point out that arthur would be leading the NL North right now :coffeepal:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wesley Beam's more promising than like any IFA/draft pick I've had since like S23 imo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Looking over the draft, Bing Bellhorn and Coco Bunch are some A++ name tools

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

davewillie...???

Drafting Andre Hunter just got way more exciting.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm so relieved to have not lost to Trenton, although Shayne Kearns just lost like a 19-game hitting streak

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

chutwig posted:

buffalo magic has run out

It'll be back very shortly

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Devo posted:

For years sports scientists have been wondering, does clutch exist?

The answer:

Not with my loving hitters ever

There was some former Snowbird/Steel Bird solidarity in Hartford:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

chutwig posted:

against the best team in the NL this seems less than likely

I did just get swept for the first time this season by Hartford. vOv

Also if I were you I'd change manager settings so you don't pull your starters down 4 in the 6th inning.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The broken bones posted:

honestly though how did you let that happen

Weird poo poo happens sometimes, like freaking Mac Curtis who used to be on Jackson. That piece of poo poo went like 11-2 against me

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The broken bones posted:

look, buddy, i put together a horrible team here and you guys are letting kevin brown somehow challenge me for the no. 1 spot. i can't let that happen.

To be fair he has been playing a SS at C all season :laugh:

Is Trenton a twitter or irc person or what? I'm pretty absentee outside of the thread

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

chutwig posted:

boy your team is loving frustrating pecota

I would like to at least make a world series or something before being considered stali-hitler-satan though

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Currently the 5 worst records in the NL are
- Austin
- The entire NL North

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

#firstworldproblems in the potential race for a first-round bye: over the last 14 games, I've gone 10-4 and gained 0 ground on AV (also 10-4) and lost ground to atheistdeals (11-3) and gyro (12-2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The NL West's been the murder division on the NL side since S22.

S22 win totals for the East were 99/82/81/58 vs. 98/96/91/81 for the West, S23 East had 101/99/77/61vs. 105/104/93/80 in the West.

• Locked thread