Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Nerokerubina posted:

i really love the lottery you have to play at the start of every season "hey are you going to have to set 3 million dollars on fire or not" that's a good as hell part of this game

Psh

Yes, Marvin Watson was brought in as a free agent coach at 500k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You misspelled terry galloway db

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Okay I've never seen a guy sign that fast

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

$110mm contract, no trade, last season player option

Sean Creek's agent: "You know, they raised the minimum wage. Other franchises are offering more."

gently caress you, Sean Creek's agent.

Better make sure that your Pitching Coach and Bullpen Coach's combined pitching IQs are the highest in the field.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I am so confused by this Art/nasboat trade

Art wants to get younger so he makes a trade where he gets older?

Three pitchers are involved and nasboat is acquiring the worst of them?

nasboat is adding another first baseman to go along with Fred and Vin?

There have to be complementary deals, right?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This offseason is not going so well

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeff posted! jeff posted? jeff posted.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

I'm so bad at this game

That trade is a phenomenal win for you.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

leaguewide ban on reducing offers after they've been submitted for a cycle. i'm completely serious about this, let's take it to a vote

Oh jeeze I hadn't noticed that that's some bullshit, too

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I have enough confidence in this group as a whole that I don't think an honor system rule is unreasonable.

I'm saltier about losing Quentin than I would be because I waited for his price to drop before making an offer, led on him without him signing immediately like offer drops often do, someone came in and trumped me, I took the lead again with my next offer, and then led for like four cycles uninterrupted until I lost him on the drop dead cycle. Ugh.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

if nothing else, maybe we can write up something in the OP for everyone that details max contract tiebreakers, the 'unofficial' signing deadline, and the fact that reverse engineering exists and can work for/against you in free agency?

if we can't do something to change the mechanics or make a rule, the least we could do is at least make sure everyone is aware?

You were going to do just that after signing Ray!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

One thing I did learn with this particular offseason: no matter how much money you offer a PC to be your bullpen coach, he'll take a ML PC job even at his base asking price. I led on 97 PC Julio Mieses as my BU coach for a few days with a 7.1m offer, until Los Angeles offered him a PC job.

See I *thought* that was the case. I could have jumped back in on Creek :|

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Okay, this might piss me off more than any signing-snipe shenanigans.

I made Rivera a 5 year offer for the same AAV as he actually took and I get denied. I'm all for the game being coded so that guys won't take longer deals for less money than they "deserve" but at least have some consistency to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it happen for something that's anything but a late-season signing or minor league scrub.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

EvilBeard posted:

I mean, there is always the option that we don't take those players and cripple a franchise run by a new owner.

If we could somehow rope Jackson, Florida, Tucson and Toronto in then I'd say let's go for it. It would honestly be easier for goons to draft dudes and then trade them back.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

uublog posted:

e: I had 11 guys on my Rule 5 list that I was targeting, and I got the last one

I got the number six guy on my board

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

AV you could not send anything to the new owner but a bad 1B for a quality SP? I know neither are great talents but that trade is hardly fair.I wish we could treat our new owners with some more respsect and not try to steal talent.

DiFelice is on waivers so he's going to get *nothing* for him otherwise. I sent him an offer with a better player which he rejected, I told him to make a counter offer and that's what he sent. Don't pull that poo poo on me.

If you want to talk about us working to help him understand that DiFelice shouldn't have been DFA'd in the first place, and getting DiFelice back to him, then let's have that talk.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

As the player he's trading with I'm possibly the worst person to try and steer him in the right direction because how is he to know I'm not just trying to mislead him into a better deal for me, especially since I'm never going to give more than a waiver wire-caliber player for a guy who is on waivers that is a luxury and not a need. "Hi, you've got this guy on waivers so I'm not going to move much for him at all. You want this barely useful player in exchange for him but here's this guy who is only marginally more useful for him who you should take instead. I know this because I own at this game and totally not trying to take advantage of you, so just trust me on this."

The best thing I could do, admittedly, is direct him to ask somebody else for advice on who to take, but that runs the risk of him getting literally nothing in return depending on how frequently he's logging in as a newbie. I'm all for us explaining the initial mistake and flat out getting him DiFelice back if that's how we want to handle it.

I think this does get at a larger issue that going to twitter dudes before first trying to reel in SA people or getting owners from other worlds creates a tougher learning curve because of the limitations of twitter/advantages of forum posting. Especially if people are resistant to hopping on IRC.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

TMB was just playing the middle man to get rid of his 10/5 rights

This is probably something that should be discussed since there are some people who view this as on the line of collusory, it wasn't brought up in the aforementioned WC post, and I don't see what benefit TMB is getting out of it, especially since he gave up a halfway useful player to facilitate this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

As this trade goes I don't think it's a terribly big deal since I don't view Vinny as enough of an asset to swing the value of the deal, and nasboat ate his salary anyway so he's not getting cap relief. It's something we need a handle on big picture, though.

nasboat posted:

:rolleyes:

not the first guy to flip a 10/5 guy elsewhere, but since, you know, we Win So Many Things in this world we'd better watch me extra close

Do you have examples handy of someone serving strictly as a middleman to skirt a NTC clause to no benefit of their own? Because I don't remember that ever happening, though maybe I'm wrong.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah if TMB were getting Grebeck or something out of it I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

so I guess we should be up front about which game mechanics it's okay to exploit and which ones that aren't okay to exploit and get it all out there

I mean, it's not exploiting anything if TMB's getting involved in the trade with the intent of getting something in return, so

nasboat posted:

I didn't think it was a big secret that 10/5 rights disappear after one trade (since the 5 no longer exists).

It's not a secret and obviously wasn't the point, either

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is kind of a tough HOF year. Right now I'm on:

Alan High
Omar Melendez
Ken Toombs
Eddie Burke
Davey Krause

But I could definitely be swayed to some other guys.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

I have Melendez, Toombs and Burker. But than I have Cosby and Francisco Ramirez in place of High and Krause.

Man, you were one of the Alan High leaders for forever you can't get off the wagon now

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

f art

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Once upon a time your mind was set on never trading Cody.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

You're all monsters for not voting in Ken "KEN TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBS" Toombs into the hall of fame

And what the hell only 4 votes for High

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

why is curtis moreno making seven point five million dollars

Mutual option that jeff backloaded, couldn't move in a trade, couldn't afford to decline and find innings to replace Moreno

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Derrick loving Graves, everybody

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

god gently caress this game

:siren: http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=67499139&pbp=0 :siren:

Back-to-back seasons Melendez has pulled it off

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is the single dumbest game of all-time

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In unrelated news, I never would have guessed that Slim Green had been with Salem for long enough to acquire 10/5 rights after this season (if he weren't testing FA, natch).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Saberhagen team goals: crush Julian Melendez's spirit

0.79 WHIP and 3.86 ERA is an awesome stat line

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Roosevelt Bolick is tied for 5th in the league in walks allowed with 9.

All 9 came in his most recent start.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

1/3rd of my runs allowed this season have been given up by Derrick Graves, Jarrett Melfi and Tom Jakubauskas.

Destroy all bullpens.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Heinie Bradley is going to haunt me forever

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Matt Cambridge's season is pretty hilarious so far:

(more than 1/3rd of his hits allowed have left the park)

EvilBeard posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is going on with Slim Norton at 3B? I know he's not an elite level 3B, but goddamn.

Small Sample Sizes™

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Seven unearned on one error. Yeah, okay.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If he qualified, Carlos Torres would be fifth in the league in OPS.

SSS fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

chutwig posted:

at this point I legit don't understand what i'm doing wrong

There are a couple of questionable managerial choices (I wouldn't be starting Volstad over Soriano or Guzman [and I'd try to make sure they respectively start against teams that skew poorly against lefties or righties]) but by and large you're just having some poo poo luck right now. Ramirez, Sweeney and Outman all being poo poo is dragging your offense down and York/High are not going to be as bad as they've been all season.

That team is fairly scary on the whole and I would not jump ship any time soon.

• Locked thread