Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

can't wait to max Sean Creek

it ought to be a bannable offense to post the screenshot of Game 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I need a replacement owner in Clemens* -- who wants a free half season to steward a lovely team back to fair play respectability?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I'm putting just about everyone out there and ideally looking to either acquire a SP as good as Cody/DaSilva (lol) or younger cost-controlled quality talent

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

tatankatonk posted:

ANIBAL BELTRE

lol

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scrotos posted:

Wait you mean you want to trade aging expensive players for young good players? Who the gently caress does not?

yes those aging expensive players that no one should want to trade any young talent for, like Del Lorenzo or Danny Hernandez or King Figueroa or Bo Chamberlain or

let's not act like what I'm advertising is automatically some giant rip-off, I've got more quality talent on my ML roster than just about anyone else

and don't be jealous because i'm a #trader

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

don't everybody TC all at once now

you assholes

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Devo posted:

No one wants your aging players

Enjoy your $200 million payroll

:rolleyes:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Devo posted:

When people quote me now it shows up yellow and I'm not sure I'm ok with that

it's because your posts are piss

YEAH, GO ASSBUTT!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I need someone to take over a Clemens team in dire need of stamina fixing, it's on like a 31-game losing streak. CS wouldn't give it to TMB because he's already taken on another transfer team

Need help ASAP

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

no it's gonna be hilarious when someone leads forever and then i swoop in and get him on the last day

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

lol I already made someone go over 6m for the 97 pitching coach

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

my starting first baseman is named fred now

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I am so confused by this Art/nasboat trade

Art wants to get younger so he makes a trade where he gets older?

Three pitchers are involved and nasboat is acquiring the worst of them?

nasboat is adding another first baseman to go along with Fred and Vin?

There have to be complementary deals, right?

he's taking the talented pitchers so he can flip them, while still moving Cole and getting Yasiel

He arb3'd Matos so he's walking on him now, I'm gonna take him on and hope he flips for me and extends, Art swaps him for better trade value in Lorenzo

I'm jammed up on 1Bs and need to move one but haven't made any sort of other deal yet

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

goddamn the stove is HOT tonight in dimaggio

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Fred McGehee is now expendable, I still have an extra SP most likely, and I could use a good bullpen arm and/or other random poo poo that's cool and useful to me

let's make a deal

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gardenald posted:

Del Lorenzo: The syphilis of the AL North. How the hell is there so much in-division trading in this division

because i'm in it

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:ninja:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

you always could've, you know, kept your offer in so I couldn't do that. it's what Jeff did during the McKay Ray saga.

reverse engineering hasn't been a secret the entire time I've been playing this game so I'm not gonna apologize for adjusting my offer when I realized no one else was maxing him anymore

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I didn't swoop, my BU signed last night and I took the lead at 3:30 a.m., I only adjusted before the last cycle when I checked to see if anyone else was maxing, and it was no secret to anyone who pays attention that I was in on Creek the whole time. My plan was transparent as poo poo.

Also I took the risk of losing Creek if anyone sniped me, which was totally 100% possible with him not at a max, so

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I would be all for WIS actually fixing the broken mechanic so that that sort of info isn't readily available; I think if we made a league rule, though, there's really no way to enforce it? Seems like it would completely be on the honor system.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

if nothing else, maybe we can write up something in the OP for everyone that details max contract tiebreakers, the 'unofficial' signing deadline, and the fact that reverse engineering exists and can work for/against you in free agency?

if we can't do something to change the mechanics or make a rule, the least we could do is at least make sure everyone is aware?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

One thing I did learn with this particular offseason: no matter how much money you offer a PC to be your bullpen coach, he'll take a ML PC job even at his base asking price. I led on 97 PC Julio Mieses as my BU coach for a few days with a 7.1m offer, until Los Angeles offered him a PC job.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I think the real lesson here is that I'm just a loser who has way too much time and way too little responsibility to where I can actually waste time reverse engineering a loving fake baseball game

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

You were going to do just that after signing Ray!

well we did kind of discuss the tiebreakers after that I think. a little.

but yeah.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

uublog posted:

lmao if I had known I would lose out on Blanco I'd have just given Louie "I wanna dip my balls in it" Howard 2 years/$10M or whatever the gently caress to beat Jeff, goddammit that's a bargain

don't worry, Louie Howard sucks and is not worth it

gently caress Louie Howard

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

not good signs early on with some of our new owners, between R5 protects and forgetting to do budgets and not logging in for multiple days during the offseason...

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Jeez this is a stacked rule 5. This is even worse than the one with Kennedy/Fox/Hutchinson. :(

I don't know if that's true, just because I think the top level talent of that one (or the really, truly awful Dimaggio R5 -- the one with Brad Willoughby, Jacob Wang, Wally Leary and Bill Bannister back in S15) was better than this current one, but there's definitely a lot of talent out there that should absolutely not be available for free :(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

We never did it before and to be honest have the new owners who didn't do protects done anything at all that shows they're actually paying attention?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:rolleyes:

not the first guy to flip a 10/5 guy elsewhere, but since, you know, we Win So Many Things in this world we'd better watch me extra close

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

then veto the other trade and send Vinny back to me and I'll sit on him

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Do you have examples handy of someone serving strictly as a middleman to skirt a NTC clause to no benefit of their own? Because I don't remember that ever happening, though maybe I'm wrong.

no probably not I've just seen it discussed numerous times and I'm sure if you researched you could find guys who were traded, had the rights broken and then flipped. perhaps not in this specific scenario.

either way I don't really give a poo poo anymore, y'all do what you want

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I should've just waited 20 games until the waiver order reset and Vinny would take a trade to Charlotte and then no one would complain, but I figured doing it quicker and TMB getting a couple of pieces (I honestly thought he was also getting Grebeck out of this, too) for facilitating was a win for everyone

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

the entire deal was supposed to be

To Charlotte: Tomas Matos, Vinny Stewart (via LAA), Jade Waner

To Seattle: Grant Duvall, Bruce Shaw, Julio Moraga, Marcos Hill

To Los Angeles: Morgan Grebeck (via CHA), Addison Clapp

and yes the deal was made like that to get around Vinny's 10/5 rights, while TMB picks up two pieces for facilitating and giving up an AAAA reliever

so I guess we should be up front about which game mechanics it's okay to exploit and which ones that aren't okay to exploit and get it all out there

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I didn't even know I was supposed to get something out of this

Clearly I/we should've brought this to the table for discussion among the crowd since precedent is unclear. Apologies for mishandling.

I went back and looked and I did mention that you'd get Grebeck and something from Charlotte for facilitating and giving up Hill, but then again it was late at night right before you were going to bed and everything was still unclear at that point on the Charlotte side

I think if we were more open about it in thread/world chat or whatever, there wouldn't be much of a problem, because as laid out above, I think the trade is fine on talent returns all the way around (esp. with Vinny's money covered). Unless people were really up in arms about the whole 'getting around the 10/5' thing (which again could have also been solved by the new waiver order, depending on how mine and Charlotte's seasons started). I don't find it to be that big of a deal because it could still be done by others, I didn't think it was a big secret that 10/5 rights disappear after one trade (since the 5 no longer exists).

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, it's not like TMB picked a guy up and then flipped him for another asset. This trade was done strictly to circumvent the mechanics of the game.

except that he's getting Grebeck out of it (I would assume that Charlotte is going to send him there) and therefore he gets something for circumventing said mechanic?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

you can address it to me specifically, I'm the only one who hasn't been overly apologetic about it, the other two have been more than helpful. But god knows *I* won't be doing any of this again, so at least that's one problem solved. And if it causes the world to look closer and set some ground rules about things up front, that's great.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

vote justin cosby

i will not rest until justin cosby is in the HOF

i don't care if his resume is garbage, let's be irrational about this

also never vote paul donovan ever. gently caress paul donovan.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

congarts

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

well there you go, at least two guys got in the HOF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

let's win a lot of regular season games and then lose when it matters

the only question is what i'm gonna do with the batting order, I kinda don't like having Don Cole leadoff, might put Duran there with his dwindling power, especially compared to the rest of the lineup

• Locked thread