Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I hate my team and I hope they all get crabs during the offseason.

Except Wally :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Anyone not named Wally Leary is available.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The exit door in Portland is propped open, come get your decaying Beavers that aren't named Wally.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Very excited to have signed Wally and Al Gutierrez to extensions ensuring they see out the end of Trey Seller's Horrible Contract.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I would be in favor of that though as Nasboat mentioned, it would basically have to be on the honor system. That's fine by me, I don't have the patience or give-a-gently caress to game the system like that. But I am totally in favor of trying to eliminate some of the stupid tricks that are really frustrating in this game.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I mean, ultimately go nuts if you want. It would just be nice to not have to worry about that sort of chicanery when there are enough other ways HBD is incredibly loving annoying.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I'm in the camp that is not particularly excited about this move. While 10/5 rights are definitely annoying, much like NTCs I've always accepted them as a part of the game and when I've run into them, haven't pursued this particular method to get the deal done. I think it's a bit unfair that it was never made clear (a) this was permissible in the league and (b) that was the purpose for roping in TMB in the first place.

I'm not outraged, but I do have to say I'm not keen on this being a thing. On top of the max contract stuff, it's been a frustrating offseason for skirting the edges of HBD's mechanics.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I wasn't overly outraged about it before, but I have to say the dismissive and flippant attitude is pretty frustrating. There is endless complaining about the injustices of HBD but to blatantly skirt the game mechanics just because they are inconvenient is - to be quite honest - absolute loving bullshit. On top of gaming the FA system to save a few million, I think it would behoove parties to realize this is at best unprecedented and at worst unethical and we address this as a league. But it's more than a little disappointing to encounter an attitude of "well it's probably been done and honestly who cares?"

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

nasboat posted:

you can address it to me specifically, I'm the only one who hasn't been overly apologetic about it, the other two have been more than helpful. But god knows *I* won't be doing any of this again, so at least that's one problem solved. And if it causes the world to look closer and set some ground rules about things up front, that's great.

e: I apologize, my reply was out of line. And it's gone now.

Capt Murphy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Davey Krause
Omar Melendez
Ken Toombs
Alan High
Ivan Manuel

It's time to get a Beaver into the hall.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

This is a baseball team. It will win some games, it will lose some games. :effort:

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

It's the greatest contract in history. I got to a Game 5 Wally start against Jeff in Year 1 and it's all downhill from there.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Wally Leary for AL Cy Young

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Hoo boy hitting is going to be a challenge for this team.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Bullpens are a game of random chance every season which is why i'm embracing "set everyone to Setup A" approach.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Wally Leary: An Ode to 98 Patience

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

This team is garbage and I hate everyone not named Wally Leary.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The Portland bullpen as told by a movie poster

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Merry Christmas, DiMaggio. May your best prospect tear a rotator cuff.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

You should be ashamed, this team is a tire fire.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Wooo! Go me! Accidentally demoting a player I meant to put on the DL!

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Everything is for sale. Please sit and enjoy this cup of mint tea, and let us haggle over this Al Gutierrez.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

AlleyViper posted:

Don't drag me into this

Don't fight it, Derrick Graves will drag you in eventually.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Devo posted:

Someone needs to fix uublog's team it's broken as hell

Multiple people have mentioned it to him and he's replied, so no idea what's up.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

By far my favorite part of this train wreck of a season is Marvin Zerbe's inexplicable sub 3 ERA.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

nasboat posted:

so is uublog just never going to fix his pitching staff ever, or what

also are we going to kick him out or what

I'm in favor of booting him out. He's been made aware of it multiple times and has responded so he clearly knows. But he doesn't seem to give a poo poo so I'm of the opinion we sort it out sooner rather than later.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

No hit by Bud. Nice.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Please get to the end of the season ok, Cla :ohdear:

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

#ChipStrong

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm not sure if i'm coming back

If I do, i'm taking over my old franchise. Richmond be gone!

No. It needs to be rehabilitated.

I'll be back. I hate everyone not named Wally, but they are my lovable useless players.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Fun Facts About the Current Seven Game Losing Streak

Total Runs Scored: 10
Times Shut out: 3
Most Runs Scored: 4

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Bless your heart, Derrick Graves.

In other news, very proud of former Beaver back-up catcher and DH Bob Fassero carrying the proud Portland pitching ptradition to Richmond.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

AlleyViper posted:

jeff is going to be the top heel until he is literally not in the playoffs any longer. The HHH comparison is far too apt.

So wait are you saying nasboat is Roman Reigns?

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

That Colorado-Salem game sure was something.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I like you, Jeff.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Scrotos posted:

If I lose this series I might be done, what the gently caress is the point?

Can you trade me Bud McDonald before you go?

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

That was the one that finally got you? A 6 point discrepency between vL pitching/hitting? I just assume ratings are a big ole' mish-mash of poo poo that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

e: I should clarify, I'm not saying it's not annoying. But Cody is a stud pitcher and it doesn't seem unreasonable that even against a good vL lineup he'd toss a 3 hitter. If he were a say 56 vL? Dubious.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

AlleyViper posted:

I believe you mean a 23 point discrepancy?

Oh I misunderstood and misread, my bad. I thought you meant you had an avg 80 vL lineup, not eight lefties. Didn't realize you meant the difference between his vL/vR.

AlleyViper posted:

Unforutnatly, VsR seems to rule the day in HBD pitching.

Yes I believe this to be true and have spent the bulk of my time in Portland trying to figure out which stat matters next. I think it's control.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Cory Lidle posted:

Just leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

DiMaggio turned 31 two days after me. :toot: :tinfoil:

• Locked thread