Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I was reading this article on HUffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/07/bernie-sanders-election-day-holiday_n_6121674.html

The independent junior Senator from Vermont and possible Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders thinks we should have a National Holiday for voting. I think this is a great compromise for the states that want to eliminate early voting. The only downside I see is that the kind of people Sanders wants to vote, won't actually go do it. Hell the old white people will all vote even if you gave them 1 hour to do it at 4:30 am, but as for the rest, yeesh you have to really put some good bait on the line.

So I figured, lets think of ideas to get minorities and poor people out to vote. How about gift cards to Applebees or Walmart. Think about it, you can get some groceries just for casting a ballot. That's a good incentive. And I'm a big believer in free-market solutions. I think another thing we could do is prevent people from collecting entitlements unless they can prove that they voted. If you want to collect any kind of monetary disbursement you should be able to demonstrate that you are a good citizen and civicly active. It doesn't matter who you voted for, just that you got out there and did your duty!

Any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I think voting by mail is a better solution. It solves the problem of poor people not being able to get transportation, congestion at the polls, and it would help even for special or other wacky elections that don't always fall on 'election day'. A national holiday would be a good step in the right direction, but I have a hard time believing that employers would abide by it. A guy flipping burgers doesn't get Columbus Day off, after all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lots of people don't get days off for the national holidays that we already have. For voting in person, probably a better way is to require that employers give a day or half-day PTO for voting, and make the voting-in-person window last something like a week so that everyone isn't ditching work at the same time.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

withak posted:

Lots of people don't get days off for the national holidays that we already have.

Specifically the people we're trying to get to vote.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Ah yes, when I think of how to make voting better in the US, giftcards and corporate sponsors is at the top of my mind. Maybe democrats should actually figure out what their supposed base wants? If you have to pay people to support your ideas your ideas maybe they aren't any good.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

tsa posted:

Ah yes, when I think of how to make voting better in the US, giftcards and corporate sponsors is at the top of my mind. Maybe democrats should actually figure out what their supposed base wants? If you have to pay people to support your ideas your ideas maybe they aren't any good.

Low voter turnout is a bipartisan issue.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Maarek posted:

I think voting by mail is a better solution. It solves the problem of poor people not being able to get transportation, congestion at the polls, and it would help even for special or other wacky elections that don't always fall on 'election day'. A national holiday would be a good step in the right direction, but I have a hard time believing that employers would abide by it. A guy flipping burgers doesn't get Columbus Day off, after all.

We certainly should be expanding it, but most states have some form of early or absentee voting- 'lack of time' only has a tiny contribution to why people don't vote. This should be rather obvious simply from looking at offyear vs. presidential elections; the huge drop has nothing to do with working or time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Anybody have the final voter tally? There were those stories about 72 year low-vote turn out, but what are the actual numbers in the millions?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

zeroprime posted:

Actually most of the subgroups represented by the gop have turnouts each election similar to most industrialized countries with free elections.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tsa posted:

It's illegal to offer people incentives like this to vote under current US laws. Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Doughnuts tried to offer doughnuts to voters a few elections ago and they had to change the offer to everyone.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
In the hit television show the Office, Stanley is apathetic about everything. Until pretzel day. Suddenly he has a sparkle in his eye for that salty, carby goodness. That's the kind of incentive we have to give out. Now as it has been pointed out, that's illegal. You cant just give away tasty treats to the electorate. So how?

What do you think of the AusTralian approach, but instead of a fine for not voting, jailtime. People who dont care about the process are actually a burden to the process. By jailing them, we cull them from the populace who do care. What we are left with is an energized electorate, eager to bring about change.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

tsa posted:

We certainly should be expanding it, but most states have some form of early or absentee voting-

My state rejected early voting in a referendum the other week :negative:

On the plus side, we're still one of only 4 totally blue states.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

In the hit television show the Office, Stanley is apathetic about everything. Until pretzel day. Suddenly he has a sparkle in his eye for that salty, carby goodness. That's the kind of incentive we have to give out. Now as it has been pointed out, that's illegal. You cant just give away tasty treats to the electorate. So how?

What do you think of the AusTralian approach, but instead of a fine for not voting, jailtime. People who dont care about the process are actually a burden to the process. By jailing them, we cull them from the populace who do care. What we are left with is an energized electorate, eager to bring about change.

I'm not sure why, but I'm convinced you're trolling now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't the incentive to vote the ability to increase taxes and decrease benefits to others while reducing taxes and increasing benefits to yourself? This is worth much more then a $100 gift card to home depot. I don't know why we ham it up with rock the vote and all this other horse plop. Go vote or the old are going to screw you six ways to Sunday when they die leaving you with 300k of national debt that they spent on themselves.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kill and cook the rich, serve them on toothpicks as free snacks for voters, next to the "i voted" stickers

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
What if we reformed the voting system to something remotely modern like IRV so that people who don't support either of the business parties had a reason to vote?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The prevailing political winds right now are actively discouraging voting to the maximum degree possible legally.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Handbeezys

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I don't think stupid people should vote, but I respect their legal right to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zeroprime posted:

Actually it's not, considering that there's a distinct partisan difference between voters and non-voters.

Mister Smiles
Nov 15, 2014

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

What about places where prisoners are allowed to vote?

Would they get pardoned if they vote while serving their sentence for not voting?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

So I figured, lets think of ideas to get minorities and poor people out to vote. How about gift cards to Applebees or Walmart.

Or Nike :whatup:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I think this is a great compromise for the states that want to eliminate early voting.

Is there any legitimate argument for removing early voting?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Do you consider "Anything that enables greater numbers of voters favors Democrats" a legitimate argument?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What if you could vote by hanging a signed macaroni picture of your favorite candidate outside your house, OP?

What if your father and your mother never met, OP? CAN YOU IMAGINE?

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Voter turnout is a major if not the major problem for Democrats. Republican voters tend to show good discipline. This has been the case everywhere I've looked or worked.

If you were designing a system from the ground up where you wanted to get the most possible people to vote, it wouldn't look a loving thing like what we have now. Every possible convenience, internet voting, mail voting, early voting, incentives, a week-long election period backed up by labor laws that mandated paid time off, and a dozen other similar notions and the Republican party would screech in cataclysmic rage and terror at the thought of an army of darkies and illegal immigrants destroying the country and raping their daughters.

The best thing for Republicans would be poll taxes, spelling tests, voter IDs, warrant checks and maybe some beatings and whatever else they had going in Alabama in 1941.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Xandu posted:

Yeah voter fraud. Some say it doesn't happen, but I'm not totally convinced:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/hans-von-spakovsky-here-comes-the-2014-voter-fraud-1414450805

quote:

Voting by noncitizens alone could swing such races. A new study by two Old Dominion University professors, based on survey data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Study, found that 6.4% of all noncitizens voted illegally in the 2008 presidential election, and 2.2% voted in the 2010 midterms.

Since 80% of noncitizens vote Democratic, according to the survey, the authors concluded that these illegal votes were “large enough to plausibly account for Democratic victories in a few close elections.” Those that might have been skewed by noncitizen votes included Al Franken ’s 312-vote win in the Minnesota race for the U.S. Senate. As a senator, Mr. Franken would cast the 60th vote needed to make ObamaCare law.

Basically, illegals got ObamaCare into law, and raised my premiums. It's not the only negative thing they've done-- the federal government has placed several hundred illegal children into already stretched schools near me. My property taxes are through the roof and my local elementary school doesn't even have a cafeteria, its actually a repurposed warehouse with cubicles. But I didn't write this thread to rant about how bad illegals are, that's for another time. My point is that voter fraud does happen, and an official, required paid day of voting should offset all other kinds of early voting and any kind of voting where a person does not show up physically and present ID. The state and integrity of our country depends on it.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I for one am glad your premiums went up and your property taxes are through the roof.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Won't someone think of Slipknot Hoagie's insurance premiums and property taxes??? :cry:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The nineteenth century had the right solution: whiskey punch.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just make it the law, you have to vote. Also instead of a voting day it should be like a voting week or something, because Tuesdays as a voting is the most stupid poo poo. Also I don't care if "non-citizens" vote, anyone who lives here should have a say regardless of where they came from because non-citizens often provide just as much value to society as most other poor/low income people and way more than wealthier/upper class people.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think I've seen this suggestion, how about making voting by mail not require a stamp? Franking mail in ballots would be cheap & easy.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Reason posted:

Just make it the law, you have to vote.
I don't get what this is trying to solve. It looks to me like "People are apathetic about policy, therefore put them in jail unless they randomly back a particular outcome or turn in a blank ballot". What are we accomplishing by jailing people who don't want to vote? I'm fully in favor of making it easier to vote, so that people who want to vote have the opportunity, but if someone doesn't want to vote, I don't see the benefit of forcing them to vote and at best adding statistical noise to outcome.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Reason posted:

Just make it the law, you have to vote. Also instead of a voting day it should be like a voting week or something, because Tuesdays as a voting is the most stupid poo poo. Also I don't care if "non-citizens" vote, anyone who lives here should have a say regardless of where they came from because non-citizens often provide just as much value to society as most other poor/low income people and way more than wealthier/upper class people.

The majority of states do already have a way to vote outside of election day. It's not that poor / young people don't have a say, it's just that they don't go to the polls for whatever reason. This idea that people not having enough time to vote is the reason they don't vote is complete nonsense which can easily be seen with offyear elections. You can also compare minority turnout pre and post implementation of statewide early voting- there isn't much to suggest it has significantly increased minority turnout relative to non-minority turnout. The overriding factor is motivation, not time.

quote:

I'm fully in favor of making it easier to vote, so that people who want to vote have the opportunity, but if someone doesn't want to vote, I don't see the benefit of forcing them to vote and at best adding statistical noise to outcome.

Well the assumption most people are making here is that lazy, unmotivated, or disenfranchised people are going to default to the dems so it really wouldn't be noise. This of course is what we would assume so long as the population of voters is representative of the population of not-voters- the lowest turnouts are in D heavy demos.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Perhaps more people would vote for Democrats if they actually started representing even a modicum of the left.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

The nineteenth century had the right solution: whiskey punch.

I prefer the eighteenth century solution: enlightened absolutism

Mira2211
Jun 18, 2014
More people would vote if there were decent candidates. I vote, but I usually feel dirty afterwards. It's difficult to not feel apathetic when the choices are pure evil versus idiot. Nine times out of ten,if not more, those are our options. Also, the idea of giving people gift cards to vote is moronic. Voting is a right. We should not be encouraging people who need to be bribed to vote.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Xandu posted:

Honest question: if voting expansion instead heavily benefited the republicans how do you think posters' opinions here on the topic would change? It's interesting no one is really addressing why greater voter turnout is good beyond that it benefits the party most posters here support. I support voting expansion, but I also realize it's very easy to do so when it helps your party and hurts the other.

Arri posted:

Perhaps more people would vote for Democrats if they actually started representing even a modicum of the left.

That's true, the most progressive demos do seem the worst for the dems. Youth voter turnout by party would be an interesting stat to look at.

tsa fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 19, 2014

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

No-one gets jailed for Not Voting.

Source: Am Australian. Have not voted. Got threatened with a fine.

Also, mandatory voting just means retards who couldn't care less about issues vote. Why a totally uninformed vote is better than no vote is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I don't think I've seen this suggestion, how about making voting by mail not require a stamp? Franking mail in ballots would be cheap & easy.

Seconding this. My mail-in ballot warned me that additional postage would be required due to all of the extra propositions, but didn't bother to actually say how many stamps to put on.

• Locked thread