Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Student ID's aren't sufficient ID because there are plenty of foreign nationals who also attend American Universities. So a a student ID card doesn't mean someone is actually a citizen.

It's not quite as common but you don't need to be a US citizen to get a CCW license which is an acceptable form of ID, regardless of how much paperwork you have to do, so this logic doesn't work out.

EDIT: same goes for drivers licenses, state ID cards, and most valid forms of ID I can think of. I'm pretty sure the real reason Student ID's aren't valid is because you'd only be able to take public university ID and there'd be a large chance for confusion. Either that or you'd have to accept Employer ID's and other privately issued ID as valid too and the already vanishingly small justification for doing voter id law at all is made even more absurd.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

computer parts posted:

That's why they require something with your address, so they can confirm it's Jim Smith of 30th street and not Jim Smith of 105th street. Even back in the day a reasonable form of ID was a power bill with your name and address on it.

Of course you could do a partnership with the university so their ID can translate to something the pollster has but that's such a big :can: I'm not surprised that it hasn't been suggested (even voter suppression reasons aside).

Fair point, though I've never had to deal with that since my precinct/whatever is small enough that all they've ever asked me for is my name. (And I've never really had to wait in line, funny how that works in the 95% white suburbs versus cities in some states.)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

That's why they require something with your address, so they can confirm it's Jim Smith of 30th street and not Jim Smith of 105th street. Even back in the day a reasonable form of ID was a power bill with your name and address on it.

Of course you could do a partnership with the university so their ID can translate to something the pollster has but that's such a big :can: I'm not surprised that it hasn't been suggested (even voter suppression reasons aside).

Actually that's not true at all, at least in some states like Texas.

votetexas.gov posted:

9. Does the address on my photo identification have to match my address on the official list of registered voters at the time of voting?

The new requirement makes no determination on voter address matching criteria; therefore, there is no address matching requirement.

Address only matters for registering, again at least here in Texas. The ID is just to prove you are who you say you are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TGLT posted:

Actually that's not true at all, at least in some states like Texas.

Address only matters for registering, again at least here in Texas. The ID is just to prove you are who you say you are.

Is that why the pollster asked me what my current home address is? I thought it was kind of weird but that makes sense.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

Is that why the pollster asked me what my current home address is? I thought it was kind of weird but that makes sense.

Probably, yeah. And/or your pollster was in fact Freddy Kruger and you should never sleep again.

The fact that there's no address requirements for the ID makes it pretty clear that they're excluding universities, even public ones, because university students tend to vote left and might not have cars. Not that the whole voter ID thing isn't just a complete loving farce to begin with, given that you have to prove you're who you say you are when you're registering in the first place.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion around here, but I'm also sure that it is a common theme among young people. I do not vote and will never vote as long as there are only two parties to vote for. Our political structure is broken. If you think you're making change by voting then I feel bad for you son.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Comatoast posted:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion around here, but I'm also sure that it is a common theme among young people. I do not vote and will never vote as long as there are only two parties to vote for. Our political structure is broken. If you think you're making change by voting then I feel bad for you son.

If this was really a thing you would see voting rates go down over time across the board (as the young people got older).

Unless you think this is a revelation from only the past decade or so.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think we should bring back the literacy test for voting but make it the math portion of the SAT

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Comatoast posted:

FYI there are often third-party candidates on the ballot. I propose that you show up and vote for one of them during the next election.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

thrakkorzog posted:

There is actually a pretty good reason for excluding college ID.

Student ID's aren't sufficient ID because there are plenty of foreign nationals who also attend American Universities. So a a student ID card doesn't mean someone is actually a citizen.

Getting a permit to sell guns and run a gun range actually requires a shitton of paperwork.

ID confirms who you are, not that you are eligible to vote. Being on the voting rolls is what confirms you're eligible to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Comatoast posted:

If voting didn't change anything, the Republicans wouldn't be trying to make it impossible.

• Locked thread