Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just make it the law, you have to vote. Also instead of a voting day it should be like a voting week or something, because Tuesdays as a voting is the most stupid poo poo. Also I don't care if "non-citizens" vote, anyone who lives here should have a say regardless of where they came from because non-citizens often provide just as much value to society as most other poor/low income people and way more than wealthier/upper class people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

I don't get what this is trying to solve. It looks to me like "People are apathetic about policy, therefore put them in jail unless they randomly back a particular outcome or turn in a blank ballot". What are we accomplishing by jailing people who don't want to vote? I'm fully in favor of making it easier to vote, so that people who want to vote have the opportunity, but if someone doesn't want to vote, I don't see the benefit of forcing them to vote and at best adding statistical noise to outcome.

Everyone should vote, I don't always agree with all the issues yes/no or all the candidates and you can choose not to vote on the things you don't want to vote on. Anyways Australia has compulsory voting and their turn out is like 93%. Also no one said anything about throwing anyone in jail. In Australia if you don't vote its like a $20 fine.

From a democracy perspective isn't more people voting better? Changing the voting day to a weekend or week and then making it compulsory would at least inspire some people to write a big old gently caress YOU on the ballot before sending it back.

I think this mainly solves the problem of the youth vote because 18-24 year olds really like to spend their $20 on beer and pot so would probably start voting which would really make USA politics at least slightly more interesting than what it is right now.

I think there are other changes that could make voting more interesting and then make more people get involved, including but not limited to nationwide advisory votes and things like that so we can see from a non-poll voting perspective on how people feel about specific issues instead of having the extent of our national participation being voting for these abstracted representatives that maybe represent us on one or two issues but on a whole mainly represent lobbyists and such.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

I don't know, is it? Can you tell me a specific aspect of society that is improved if 2 million people vote versus 1 million? Help me out, state a problem that currently exists and then explain why fining people $20 for not voting solves that problem.

I think that right now in the US its very easy to feel like your vote doesn't count especially if you're not into mainstream republican or democratic ideals, this is because the people who do vote are surprise, the people who think republicans or democrats are actually going to get things done. A big majority of the people who don't vote probably do so because they feel like they aren't represented by current candidates and/or issues on the ballot and bringing more people into that process would open up more opportunities for other voices to be heard.

Its not about right or wrong people voting, by saying either that the right or wrong people are voting right now is undermining the democratic process, but if you include everyone then its everyone, right or wrong. I see people saying poo poo like, oh more people should vote, but I'm not willing to support any change to make that a reality and that feels like a copout. If you think more people should vote than you should be willing to change something to encourage those people to vote. Another thing that might make sense is that if you don't vote, your vote is cast as a default the exact same way as one of the representatives of your district.

twodot posted:

This could easily cause youth voting to increase, but the question is what benefit occurs if youth voting increases?
edit:
To be clear, I'm in favor of increasing voting for those who want to vote, just not by fining those least able to pay fines.

The point or benefit is that the more that get involved the more sincere and representative of the country our outcomes could be.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread