Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

That's why they require something with your address, so they can confirm it's Jim Smith of 30th street and not Jim Smith of 105th street. Even back in the day a reasonable form of ID was a power bill with your name and address on it.

Of course you could do a partnership with the university so their ID can translate to something the pollster has but that's such a big :can: I'm not surprised that it hasn't been suggested (even voter suppression reasons aside).

Actually that's not true at all, at least in some states like Texas.

votetexas.gov posted:

9. Does the address on my photo identification have to match my address on the official list of registered voters at the time of voting?

The new requirement makes no determination on voter address matching criteria; therefore, there is no address matching requirement.

Address only matters for registering, again at least here in Texas. The ID is just to prove you are who you say you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

Is that why the pollster asked me what my current home address is? I thought it was kind of weird but that makes sense.

Probably, yeah. And/or your pollster was in fact Freddy Kruger and you should never sleep again.

The fact that there's no address requirements for the ID makes it pretty clear that they're excluding universities, even public ones, because university students tend to vote left and might not have cars. Not that the whole voter ID thing isn't just a complete loving farce to begin with, given that you have to prove you're who you say you are when you're registering in the first place.

• Locked thread