Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I think this is a great compromise for the states that want to eliminate early voting.

Is there any legitimate argument for removing early voting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

tsa posted:

Honest question: if voting expansion instead heavily benefited the republicans how do you think posters' opinions here on the topic would change? It's interesting no one is really addressing why greater voter turnout is good beyond that it benefits the party most posters here support. I support voting expansion, but I also realize it's very easy to do so when it helps your party and hurts the other.

It certainly makes it easier for me to support, but I also think it's very clearly the right thing to do, along with absentee voting. Not allowing it disenfranchises a lot of voters who can't necessarily make it on the day of. Give people a two week window, campaigns these days go on long enough that it's not like anyone hasn't made up their minds already. To put it in reverse, I think if voter fraud were actually a serious problem in this country, I would be willing to support voter ID laws.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 20, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

tsa posted:

Early voting may lower turnout:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/09/23/study-early-voting-associated-with-lower-turnout/

Exactly, up to including not voting on anything ie. not voting.

Interesting. I'd want to look more at the research, but even if true, we should still give people as many options to vote as possible. If people are still choosing not to vote, that's a different issue.

• Locked thread