Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Someone saying "Just melt some butter" then tossing a pound into a pan proves that I don't use nearly enough butter in my cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

nuru posted:

Someone saying "Just melt some butter" then tossing a pound into a pan proves that I don't use nearly enough butter in my cooking.

Butter is the magical ingredien of the gods.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made a non-photogenic hamburg soup after Thanksgiving while we were clearing the expired/freezer-burned stuff out of my grandmother's larder. Some turkey stock from the Thanksgiving carcass, hamburg from her freezer browned with a hefty dose of some mystery red spice mix a friend brought from Moscow, diced tomato, chopped and sweated onion/celery/garlic/jalapeño/carrot, egg noodle, and spinach at the end. Bay leaf, salt, and pepper also, obviously.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
Yeah, I like this thread, all the soups in one place.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

This week it's carrot ginger soup with a dollop of sour cream:

Do you have a recipe for this?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Aery posted:

Yeah, I like this thread, all the soups in one place.

Grav hates megathreads and will send a soup to murder you in your sleep now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm taking the moral of whirled peas to be megathreads are bad or something. idk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

something clever posted:

Do you have a recipe for this?

quote:

2 teaspoons butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (put extra)
1 pound peeled carrots
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups vegetable/chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup orange juice
pinch of ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons sour cream

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger; cook and stir 1 minute or until ginger becomes fragrant. Add carrots, salt and pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes.

2. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.

3. Working in batches process soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan, stir in cream, orange juice and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Thinsoup with additional broth if necessary. Top with sour cream just before serving.

Makes 4 servings

I used a blender stick, so much easier.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

This sounds great. Thank you for sharing.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Grav, could you come over and make me dinner? Your soups look so good.

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
This thread has changed my life. You people are magicians and the few soups I have made are amazing.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Steve Yun I made the soup for the recipe you posted. WIFE LOVED IT!...

Was very good. Thanks for the recipe

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

Mr. Wiggles posted:

what a delicious way to go.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You say that until he hides some strozzapreti in the minastrone and you find out why it got it's name...

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Broccoli & Stilton:

Guaranteed to banish the winter blues :kimchi:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I just made basic chicken noodle last week, was wondering if I might be missing anything for next time. Kind of winged it.

Onion
Carrot
Celery
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Dried Thyme
2 Bay leaves
1/2 pound cubed chicken meat
3 Quarts Chicken Stock
~3 cups cooked noodles

1 - Soften the veg in oil with salt and pepper
2 - Add garlic, thyme and bay leaves, cook briefly
3 - Toss in chicken and stir frequently for a minute or so
4 - Add stock, simmer for 10-20 minutes
5 - Add cooked pasta and simmer til heated through

Like I said, it was very basic, but tasty. Are there other traditional herbs I might want to keep in mind for next time?

Planning on doing Italian wedding soup this weekend, and maybe some others the week after that. I have a garlic soup recipe that I've been meaning to try for a while now. I have the best grandma, so the chest freezer I got for x-mas is going to get a good workout this winter.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

CzarChasm posted:

So I just made basic chicken noodle last week, was wondering if I might be missing anything for next time. Kind of winged it.

Onion
Carrot
Celery
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Dried Thyme
2 Bay leaves
3 Quarts Chicken Stock
~3 cups cooked noodles

Like I said, it was very basic, but tasty. Are there other traditional herbs I might want to keep in mind for next time?

Planning on doing Italian wedding soup this weekend, and maybe some others the week after that. I have a garlic soup recipe that I've been meaning to try for a while now. I have the best grandma, so the chest freezer I got for x-mas is going to get a good workout this winter.

Ingredients look good, just be careful not to over cook the garlic, if it burns it will go bitter and ruin the rest of the soup. I normally throw in the garlic towards the end IMO.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

Onion
Carrot
Celery
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Dried Thyme
2 Bay leaves
3 Quarts Chicken Stock
~3 cups cooked noodles

Parsnip and some dill too.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

toplitzin posted:

Parsnip and some dill too.

Yep. But I would add dill to anything.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I treat the end of the year as a cause to clean out the freezer and the pantry, which means soups.

Sausage, Kale and Bean soup with a Ham and Chicken stock base.

Duck Broth with Soba Noodles and Charred Ginger

Chestnut Veloute with Truffle Pate and Mushrooms on Toast.

Cavenagh fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 9, 2015

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Onion
Carrot
Celery
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Dried Thyme
2 Bay leaves
3 Quarts Chicken Stock
~3 cups cooked noodles

A few tbl of chopped parsley at the end there, I also add a dash of nutmeg and/or paprika and of course tumeric for that yellow coloring/earthy flavor.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

Cavenagh posted:

Chestnut Veloute with Truffle Pate and Mushrooms on Toast.

Also did chestnut soup last tuesday, poo poo is amazing but hard to get the different tastes under one hood. Care to share your recipe? Isn't the Truffle Pate a litte bit overpowering?

What I did:
25g smoked bacon
220g chestnuts (grilled and peeled)
1 medium onion
little less than 1 TS thyme
1 medium potatoe
1 medium carrot
125 ml portwine
1 shot Marsala
500 ml vegetable soup (cube, cheated)
cream
nutmeg
salt and pepper

Cut bacon into small bits, fry, add onions, cut carrots and potatoes, fry more, deglaze with port and marsala, add thyme and soupe. Let cook for at least 30min on low (until chestnuts are soft). Use stickblender to blend the poo poo out of it, add about 125ml of cream (to taste) and finish with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Blend again right before serving.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Nagelfar posted:

Also did chestnut soup last tuesday, poo poo is amazing but hard to get the different tastes under one hood. Care to share your recipe? Isn't the Truffle Pate a litte bit overpowering?

The truffles in the pate were fine, I used only a little to give a hint of truffle. Mostly because stuff is expensive.

I used Blumenthal's recipe for the soup. It's very similar to yours. Something that I keep coming across with Blumenthal's stuff is that we have very very close flavour memories, being roughly the same age and from roughly the same part of the UK. So in the soup I was looking at the flavour of chestnuts that come from a street brazier, passed over in paper bags and charred from the coals, and it mostly delivered.

120g of Brown Butter
4 Slices smoked streaky bacon (Standard American Bacon, only choose rashers which are the most meat filled) - Roughly chopped
Large Shallot/ Banana Shallot - Sliced thin
Leek Whites - Cleaned & sliced thin
4 Thyme Sprigs (if using dried then a single teaspoon I find to be roughly equivalent)
200g Dry Madeira
250g White Port
1 kg White Chicken Stock
400 - 500g Peeled Chestnuts, roughly chopped
100g Double Cream (Heavy cream)
200g Semi Skimmed Milk (2% Milk)
Salt & Pepper.
Sherry Vinegar to finish.

Saucepan on Medium Heat.
Cook the Bacon in the Butter for five minutes, add Shallot, Leek and Thyme, cook until soft and translucent and the Bacon has browned
Move heat to high.
Add Madeira and Port, Reduce to Syrup.
Add Stock, bring to Simmer.
Add Chestnuts.
Simmer Five minutes
Add Milk & Cream
Simmer Fifteen Minutes
Blitz in blender, Vitamix it, Stick blend it. Pass through Sieve.
Return to gentle heat
Season with Salt, Pepper and Sherry Vinegar.

I found that every thing added a complimentary gentle sweetness and nuttiness to the chestnuts, with the vinegar cutting through the richness and a smokiness from the bacon. I added some button mushrooms to bob around in the soup which added to the earthiness. When I make it again I'm planning to char the leek, to add an element of charcoal brazier to it. As well as actually charcoal roasting the chestnuts myself.

It is a rich soup though, more of a starter than a main course.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

You guys use measured recipes when you make soups? :monocle: My technique, both at home and at the restaraunt, is to check the fridge to see what vegetables and meat I have, sear it with a proper mirepoix, add stock, bay leaf, whatever vegetables I have, cook it down. Then I guy fieri a name up. For example, ground sausage, pepepers, onions? Brown it, add stock, cook it, add some greens in near the end, call it SPO soup, put it in the cooler for later serving.

Soups are the ultimate lazy food when it comes to proportions.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I typically don't, but for the sake of the newer visitors to this subforum I give approximate measurements so that they know how to do it themselves.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Korthal posted:

Soups are the ultimate lazy food when it comes to proportions.

Soup, like a stew, might traditionally be lazy but proportions make the recipe repeatable and communicable. And can make it identifiable. Overdo one element, you've screwed the soup. Which might be okay for making garbage soups like Italian Wedding Soup, but even then it isn't.

Also I used the weights and measures given for Blumenthal's Chestnut Veloute because it's not my recipe, it's his.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cavenagh posted:

... garbage soups like Italian Wedding Soup

I just made Italian Wedding Soup this weekend, what makes it a "garbage" soup?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
It has no defined set of ingredients or flavour profiles. The only commonality between those I've had have been that there's some form of greens (often Kale or Escarole) and some shredded meat. Everything else is optional and seems that whatever (be it pasta, sausages, vegetables, meats) the kitchen has that needs using up is what goes into it. Not garbage in the sense it's a foul broth that's as Italian as chopsticks and reminds you of the fetid swamp that Venice grew out of, but in the sense that it's sunday soup. The leftovers of the leftovers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cavenagh posted:

It has no defined set of ingredients or flavour profiles. The only commonality between those I've had have been that there's some form of greens (often Kale or Escarole) and some shredded meat. Everything else is optional and seems that whatever (be it pasta, sausages, vegetables, meats) the kitchen has that needs using up is what goes into it. Not garbage in the sense it's a foul broth that's as Italian as chopsticks and reminds you of the fetid swamp that Venice grew out of, but in the sense that it's sunday soup. The leftovers of the leftovers.

I thought it was all about tiny chicken meatballs and lentils.

I have been LIED to ALL MY LIFE.

holttho
May 21, 2007

One of my most favorite simple soups is Stracciatella. It is a nice Italian version of egg-drop soup. In addition to its flavor, I love it because if I only want to make one cup of it, it is just as easy! I've even made it in the microwave at work.

Take a good, rich stock; I prefer chicken, and bring to a boil. Mix together an egg, Parmesan, nutmeg, a tiny lemon zest, and just a pinch of flour (semolina would be traditional). Once the stock is boiling, swirl it around in the pot and slowly drizzle in the egg mixture. It will form little noodles as soon as it hits the stock. Garnish with your choice of greens, I prefer fresh chives, but any will do. You'll definitely need to season it, as any stock worth its salt ...won't have any salt in it...

Per serving:

6oz stock
1 egg
1-2T grated parm
pinch nutmeg/lemon/flour
season to taste

Am definitely going to try the OP recipe tonight. I was reading through it and was like, "oh my, I have ALL of these ingredients in my fridge RIGHT NOW!"

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

holttho posted:

One of my most favorite simple soups is Stracciatella. It is a nice Italian version of egg-drop soup. In addition to its flavor, I love it because if I only want to make one cup of it, it is just as easy! I've even made it in the microwave at work.

Take a good, rich stock; I prefer chicken, and bring to a boil. Mix together an egg, Parmesan, nutmeg, a tiny lemon zest, and just a pinch of flour (semolina would be traditional). Once the stock is boiling, swirl it around in the pot and slowly drizzle in the egg mixture. It will form little noodles as soon as it hits the stock. Garnish with your choice of greens, I prefer fresh chives, but any will do. You'll definitely need to season it, as any stock worth its salt ...won't have any salt in it...

Per serving:

6oz stock
1 egg
1-2T grated parm
pinch nutmeg/lemon/flour
season to taste

Am definitely going to try the OP recipe tonight. I was reading through it and was like, "oh my, I have ALL of these ingredients in my fridge RIGHT NOW!"

My wife makes this now and then with plenty of lemon zest and it is great. But a lot of people are put off bybroth soups. gently caress them, a home made jellied chicken stock is delightful brightened up with lemon zest and just enough little delicate eggybits to make it interesting to the palate.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Yea, I suspect that's what the flour is for; giving the 'noodles' a bit of structure. You could also double up the mix without adding more stock. It'd be pretty noodle-dense though. Not that's particularly a bad thing.

Personally I would say only make this out of home made stock. The store bought stuff is fine for adding flavored liquid bulk to something, but it shouldn't ever stand alone. And when making your own, skip the chicken carcass, go straight to wing tips and chicken feet. Dirt cheap, intensely chickeny, and when cold from the fridge, the stuff can be substituted for ballistics gel.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Split pea soup: Ham's highest calling.

With a splash of sherry vinegar and slice of no-knead.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
"Canh" is a subset of Vietnamese soups that are brothy, full of vegetables, and eaten over steamed rice, usually with some other dishes to eat with the rice. This tomato and tofu one is a canh I'm happy to make a meal out of by itself.

Canh Dau Hu Ca Chua - Tofu and Tomato Soup

1 tsp. oil
1-2 oz. ground pork, little strips of pork, neck bones, or whatever you have on hand (optional)
1/4 cup onion sliced
2-3 cups chicken broth
6-10 oz firm tofu cut into 1/2-1 inch cubes
2 tomatoes sliced into wedges
Green onion and cilantro chopped
Fish sauce and salt to taste
Pepper

1. Heat a little oil in your pot.

2. Saute a bit of the pork with sliced onions with pepper and salt until fragrant.

3. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil and skim bubbles.

4. Add cubes of tofu and sliced tomato and bring back to a simmer. Add fish sauce to taste or just salt or soy sauce, but fish sauce will give the best flavor. Let simmer 10 minutes or until the tomato is as cooked as you like.

5. Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro--plenty of it, you want to mix it into the soup. Crack on some more pepper. Serve over steamed rice.

That'll be enough for two as a meal, I'll usually make a double batch using one 14-16 oz. container of tofu.

Made some for dinner tonight, didn't take a picture, but here's an old one:

Edit: forgot to add that you can add some garlic too, I did tonight. These types of soups are really simple and nice for quick, filling (eat more or less rice to your desire), weeknight meals.

mich fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 16, 2015

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

This week I made zuppa toscana.
Just made this for dinner tonight. Whips together fast as hell (ready in under an hour) and really tasty, holds well and filling. I think this'll need to go into the rotation.

Only thing I'd change is to drain the sausage before sweating the onions; I had to spoon a half cup of orange grease off the top to make it presentable.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
My first go at comsommé

Wild mushroom ravoli, roasted chicken & wild mushroom broth. I used the egg raft method and it worked great. Next time I'll try the frozen / strain way.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Sorry, didn't mean to quote that. Ugh.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Pickle Soup

My mom always used to make this, usually in the winter. It sounds weird, but its dammned tasty. Try it, its easy to make.

I usually make my own chicken stock but you can use store bought or chicken bullion. I also dont measure poo poo out either. I just start slicing veggies until the pile looks good, you know? So the below measurements are just estimations?

2 cups cubed carrot
1 cup cubed celery
2 cups diced onions
2-3 cups diced potato
1 stick of butter
1 16 oz container sour cream
1 cup flour
1 cup of shredded pickles (3-4 large ones)
6-8 cups of chicken stock
salt/pepper/fresh dill to taste

In a large pot melt butter and saute celery, carrot, onion, until onions translucent. Add chicken stock and potato. Simmer until potato is done (20 min??). Check for seasoning. In a bowl, mix the sour cream and flour well, with a whisk. Add a bit of water if too thick. Temper this with 1-2 lades of stock, whisk in. Pour the sour cream into soup slowly while whisking. then add the pickles/dill. Return to boil and then turn off. Taste for seasoning and add a bit of pickle juice if you want a bit more pickle flavor/tartness.

15-30 min prep (depending on how fast you can chop those veggies!)
30-45 min cook.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 23, 2015

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I found a recipe for Mexican Chicken Lime soup or something a while ago and it's the best soup I've ever made. I'm one of those who measures ingredients the first time I make things, then wings it ever after, so I'll just list what I put in the soup:

Chicken (I just dumped it in the pot for an hour to cook then pulled it out and shredded it)
Chicken stock
Diced onion sweated down with chopped celery and carrots
Corn
Black beans
Rice (optional, but I like it)
Lots of Oregano
Lots of Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
A few shakes of Valentina hot sauce
Lots of lime juice
Hot peppers of some sort, think I cooked jalapenos with the veggie trinity last time, I like Thai chilies better
Cheese for adding to your bowl, I like a mild cheese so it doesn't overpower anything
Fresh chopped cilantro

Now, the cilantro makes this soup good. You don't add it until right before you serve because you want that sharp cilantro/lime/heat combo and when the cilantro wilts in the soup it's not as good. It's kind of like a Mexicanish hot and sour chicken veggie soup, but I loving love it. That cilantro, god, and the lime and then the chickeny heat kick of the chilies. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Sort of necro-bump, but I made the soup in the OP and it is delicious. I overcooked the onions a bit, but it really didn't matter. I'll be coming back to this soup definitely. Thinking about trying the potato leek soup next, that's always been a favorite.

• Locked thread