Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tracula posted:

It's not even people liking the game. It's the insane amount of :smug: self-importance that people get about playing it, saying that this is what all games should truly aspire to and poo poo like that, much like how a lot of fans of the Souls games can get.

Haha you actually read reviews on Steam.

Anyway bought this game on a whim after it was recommended by a friend and its probably the best indie game I've played. Though I agree that if you get a lucky streak it gets a bit boring. This game shines when everyone is committing suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only reason I gave this game a second look was the massive amount of positive praise. Otherwise it looks like a generic indie mobile game. Looks like you guys want your cult sleeper hit so you can say that you liked it before it was cool.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I really enjoyed this game, played a few times and finally beat it. I managed to mainly be quite nice overall, though there were a few bad moments - it really bothered me that I went to the supermarket without a weapon, and a soldier took that girl away :(.

The only trouble now is that there's no need for me to retry. I can't see that there would be such a huge variation in gameplay, especially since the first few days are usually so similar.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Greyish Orange posted:

I really enjoyed this game, played a few times and finally beat it. I managed to mainly be quite nice overall, though there were a few bad moments - it really bothered me that I went to the supermarket without a weapon, and a soldier took that girl away :(.

The only trouble now is that there's no need for me to retry. I can't see that there would be such a huge variation in gameplay, especially since the first few days are usually so similar.

The variation comes from the different survivor combinations and different seasons. The various traits can really make or break a particular strategy, and if you get the starting group of four survivors, none of whom have resource or backpack traits, in winter, you're going to have a bad time.

If you're looking for variety, try rerolling your start a few times until you get a group you haven't had before. You may find that it changes the game pretty significantly.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Good point actually - I haven't yet started in Winter, I'd be interested in seeing how that works out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The zones you visit can be wholly different from play through to play through as well. And even if they are the same the events are not guaranteed to be. The event you talk about at the supermarket is one of three that i'm familiar with at that location.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a terrible night last night. Pavle was brought down by a sniper after loading up on precious supplies. Katia and Bruno were both sick, hungry, and tired so they slept for the night. Raiders came in and finished off Bruno. Katia saw no choice but to take her own life.

This game is terribly good.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The only reason I gave this game a second look was the massive amount of positive praise. Otherwise it looks like a generic indie mobile game. Looks like you guys want your cult sleeper hit so you can say that you liked it before it was cool.

:allears:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think its more of a "whatcouldbeitis". If the ideas in the game were expanded it would make for a very fun game. For 20 bucks its doing more with the money that's gone towards its development then a lot of the new multi-million dollar games out there. The price point combined with the content provided should be praised.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

This game is amazing and I've recommended it to everyone under the moniker "gaza simulator".

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've had three starts and have pretty much hosed it up every time. It's hard to get a good balance of food and being able to make improvements on your home. The best two guys I've got were Marin (who is good at building poo poo) and Boris (who is slow but can carry a ton of stuff). I've yet to find a use for Emilia but it hasn't helped that she started my game both sick and injured and is now terminally sick in bed.

My priorities so far have been beds, shovel and crowbar, metal works, stove, upgraded workbench...by the time I've got that up and running I'm running out of food and starting to get desperate on my scavenging.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

I've had three starts and have pretty much hosed it up every time. It's hard to get a good balance of food and being able to make improvements on your home. The best two guys I've got were Marin (who is good at building poo poo) and Boris (who is slow but can carry a ton of stuff). I've yet to find a use for Emilia but it hasn't helped that she started my game both sick and injured and is now terminally sick in bed.

My priorities so far have been beds, shovel and crowbar, metal works, stove, upgraded workbench...by the time I've got that up and running I'm running out of food and starting to get desperate on my scavenging.

If you don't have Bruno for the good cooking, the stove can wait a while. Prioritize upgrading your workshop and getting rat traps up instead. You can't rely on them as your only source of food, but they make an awesome supplement to regular scavenging.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Sweet, delicious rat meat is the way to prosperity.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

The variation comes from the different survivor combinations and different seasons. The various traits can really make or break a particular strategy, and if you get the starting group of four survivors, none of whom have resource or backpack traits, in winter, you're going to have a bad time.

If you're looking for variety, try rerolling your start a few times until you get a group you haven't had before. You may find that it changes the game pretty significantly.

Yeah there is a lot of re-playability since different zones open up, you get different characters, the zones will be different. I just wish it was more obvious what the stats did for each character.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

If you don't have Bruno for the good cooking, the stove can wait a while. Prioritize upgrading your workshop and getting rat traps up instead. You can't rely on them as your only source of food, but they make an awesome supplement to regular scavenging.

Yeah rat traps are the poo poo.

Had a great game going but accidentally clicked the wrong button and attacked the dude at the garage instead of trading with him. Poor Katia :( She really is the best though, you get WAY better deals on trades.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Haven't beaten the game yet, just had a tough run where i ran out of food and both Bruno the cook and Marko the scavenger got hurt and sick, and were occupying my only two beds. Pavle and Arisa tried to pick up the slack but as i had been trading away medicine to the traveling trader for food and construction supplies, there was little I could do except watch them waste away. I think i hosed up my upgrades, didn't have second-tier metalworks, and had only gotten second-tier workshop and started some barricading when the raids got too intense.

From reading the wiki it looks like the improved stove uses the same ingredients for regulars as for Bruno, so if i don't get bruno next time I will try rushing upgraded stove.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Apparently running is the greatest crime.

I was tight on time and had to run through the church which is not a restricted area or anything. Suddenly the priest and some other dude put them up and start slugging me because ~reasons~

Beat them both to the ground with a shovel so guess they should just allow people to run in the future without going for some sweet sweet murderings.

e: On the other hand, I can now realise my roleplaying war fantasies. They drew the first blood, they are at fault. I am fully within my rights to retaliate and take everything they have. Expect Bruno and an axe, assholes.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 22, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished this up. The first half went great. Marko spent just about every evening murdering every bandit in eastern europe and selling off their AKs for huge profit. Then winter hit, and he took a nasty injury. Pavle got hosed up while on guard duty. And no matter how much I had them sleep, no matter how many bandages I tossed at them, and no matter how well stocked I kept the furnace, they refused to get any better. I let Katia join since I needed another functional human being besides Bruno, but it turns out she was already severely injured when she showed up. So Bruno had 3 useless people to take care of. Then Pavle got angry and beat Bruno into severely wounded territory so everybody was hosed.

Eventually people started healing, but everyone except Bruno was almost permanently stuck in broken morale status due to injuries. I just had to hope that my supply stockpile would last throughout the rest of the war despite the frequent raids. The war did end just as I was starting to get low, and everybody survived.

Last half of the game ended up being very frustrating because of all this though. I was only able to send Marko scavenging about twice during that entire period. 3/4 of my group was dead weight that was actively sabotaging itself. I couldn't even get Katia to talk to the trader half the time due to depression; they wouldn't respond to any commands at all. It was a whole lot of doing a few chores with Bruno, pointlessly spending most of the day trying to boost morale enough so that I could get these idiots to get into their beds, and then skipping the night portion of the game to immediately see who's healing progress had been reversed due to raids. That goony fucker Bruno was a goddamn hero and a saint.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
This War of Mine: goon war jesus and his many downward spirals

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm ok with running triggering aggro. If you're in a dark bombed shelter protecting your supplies and your friends, you're probably gonna duke it out with the strange person running full speed at you.

Tip for newer players: You can get a lot done the very first day if you hustle to build a shovel. Have all 3 people scrounging, quickly build workshop and make a shovel with the stuff found around the shelter. I think I managed to build 2 beds and a shovel the very first day and cleared everything except the locked storages.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frijolero posted:

I'm ok with running triggering aggro. If you're in a dark bombed shelter protecting your supplies and your friends, you're probably gonna duke it out with the strange person running full speed at you.

Tip for newer players: You can get a lot done the very first day if you hustle to build a shovel. Have all 3 people scrounging, quickly build workshop and make a shovel with the stuff found around the shelter. I think I managed to build 2 beds and a shovel the very first day and cleared everything except the locked storages.

Conversely, because you can clear rubble slowly by hand but can't open locked doors and cases without a crowbar, I think the crowbar is more important. It might slow you down a little but you can still usually get two beds up on the first day and it gives your people something to do (clearing rubble) in the first couple days when you don't have a lot of stuff built.

Sometimes I don't even build a shovel at all, since you can clear rubble without it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

vyelkin posted:

Conversely, because you can clear rubble slowly by hand but can't open locked doors and cases without a crowbar, I think the crowbar is more important. It might slow you down a little but you can still usually get two beds up on the first day and it gives your people something to do (clearing rubble) in the first couple days when you don't have a lot of stuff built.

Sometimes I don't even build a shovel at all, since you can clear rubble without it.

There are a few locations where a shovel will get scavenging done in one night instead of two. Plus the shovel is a OHKO weapon if you want to get straight to murdering right off the bat. But I did try crowbar first on my most recent playthrough and it's quite useful for all the early locks you come across, both at your place and the early scavenging locations.

I kind of ruined my game by exploiting the trading system, getting a full inventory of medicinal supplies for a cigarette, and then getting a full inventory of other supplies with one bandage and stuff like that. Traders out in the world value their items differently and seem to restock quite often, so it's possible to get a good trading setup going to take you out of the difficulty curve. Obviously the central market is the prime location for this, but even if it doesn't spawn for you, there are other traders out there.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

vyelkin posted:

I usually build the crowbar before the shovel for this same reason, but I do try to build a shovel as well - it is useful for scavanging and it also counts as a weapon for defending the base.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I can't imagine not making both a shovel and a crowbar on the first day - both are required for ransacking the shelter on day 1, and that is an absolutely huge benefit to figuring out scavenging priorities on night 1.

Koobze posted:

From reading the wiki it looks like the improved stove uses the same ingredients for regulars as for Bruno, so if i don't get bruno next time I will try rushing upgraded stove.
The Improved Stove levels the playing field. With the Improved Stove, the only benefit Bruno gets is using 1 less water on the Raw Food only cooked meal. By default it is 1 Raw food, 3 Water, 1 Fuel. With Bruno it is 1 Raw food, 2 Water, 1 Fuel.

The 2 meal recipe - 1 raw food, 4 water, 1 vegetable, 2 fuel for 2 cooked meals - is the same for everyone.

Effectively what this means is that Bruno isn't a goddamn requirement. He is still very useful for making real medications from med parts and herbs, and also for brewing moonshine, but with vegetables and an improved stove, anyone can cook as well as him.

Also, FYI, it's completely safe to eat every other day as opposed to every day as long as you're eating cooked meals all the time. So if you have 4 people and 2 raw food, 2 vegetables, that is essentially 4 2 days' food.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 22, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Also, FYI, it's completely safe to eat every other day as opposed to every day as long as you're eating cooked meals all the time. So if you have 4 people and 2 raw food, 2 vegetables, that is essentially 4 days' food.

This math doesn't add up since 2 raw food and 2 vegetables still only turns into 4 cooked meals, which is enough for everyone to eat once, and is therefore only 2 days' food even if everyone starves for a day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

vyelkin posted:

This math doesn't add up since 2 raw food and 2 vegetables still only turns into 4 cooked meals, which is enough for everyone to eat once, and is therefore only 2 days' food even if everyone starves for a day.

Er whoops yeah I meant to say 2 days food. Thanks for catching that.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
For me it feels like a rush to get the entire house boarded up just for the "so I don't have to deal with this raiding poo poo".

And then I realize I spent 2 days and a merchant trade to pretty much set myself up for starvation failure.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The game is very interesting to look at in long-term strategy since some of the large scale projects seem worthless to get since the game's time limit.

Getting an upgraded herb station doesn't seem a wise decision but I'm still new to the game and figuring out a balanced strategy.

Larger projects are probably going to be needed for keeping 4+ survivors alive but my struggle is keeping them alive past the influx of new arrivals.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

The game is very interesting to look at in long-term strategy since some of the large scale projects seem worthless to get since the game's time limit.

Getting an upgraded herb station doesn't seem a wise decision but I'm still new to the game and figuring out a balanced strategy.

Larger projects are probably going to be needed for keeping 4+ survivors alive but my struggle is keeping them alive past the influx of new arrivals.

The time limit is randomized, so there's no guarantee how long you'll have to hold out. The more you start emptying out scavenging sites, the more you start needing your own source of scarce items.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If only I could get a Pavle/Bruno/Boris/Katia starting lineup.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

The trade bug destroys any difficulty the game has, but it's really really hard not to take advantage of it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bootcha posted:

If only I could get a Pavle/Bruno/Boris/Katia starting lineup.

This is who I have right now. It's a goddamn breeze.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Ideal start would probably be Boris/Bruno/Marin/Katia in the summer.

Too bad it's not randomized anymore :(

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

The trade bug destroys any difficulty the game has, but it's really really hard not to take advantage of it.

What's the trade bug? Just that with Katia you can trade at an advantage?

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

vyelkin posted:

What's the trade bug? Just that with Katia you can trade at an advantage?

Certain merchants that you visit will trade stacks of everything they have for a single item you have. The Dev(s) acknowledged the bug on the steam forum along with some other annoying bugs (the radio declaring a shortage of an item but its value not changing, npcs randomly attacking you without provocation, etc)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Getting a vegetable garden is an incredibly good investment. With a vegetable garden and 2 rat traps, you are almost self-sufficient on food. Almost - you will still need to trade out for some 'in case bad poo poo happens' supplies, but that's an entire mode of defeat that you can basically eliminate completely. That is huge.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Getting a vegetable garden is an incredibly good investment. With a vegetable garden and 2 rat traps, you are almost self-sufficient on food. Almost - you will still need to trade out for some 'in case bad poo poo happens' supplies, but that's an entire mode of defeat that you can basically eliminate completely. That is huge.

Do make sure you have a solid water infrastructure before you try to start farming vegetables. You'll need at least two rainwater collectors, or if you're in winter, literally all the fuel.

The water system itself makes for a pretty interesting challenge. In summer water only costs you components, but you're limited on how much water you can produce in a given timeframe. In winter, water costs components plus fuel, but is effectively unlimited as long as you have the necessary materials.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've found you can clean out the house with just 3 people, a crowbar, and no shovel on the first day with a bit of finesse, to include building 2 beds and a radio. I'd write out the guide, but I think showing you would be easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agq9BRenFrY

So I've noticed the trader can knock on your door as early as Day 2. It's rare, but it happens. So one of my thoughts, whenever I have Katia, is to use Night 1 to scavenge as much high value items that I want to trade in order to get the most out of the trader come Day 3, or Day 2 as the case rarely is. Just remember to bring back 3 weapon parts and 2 wood to make that knife to help out the home while you snag the crowbar and shovel for scavenging elsewhere.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fatman1683 posted:

Do make sure you have a solid water infrastructure before you try to start farming vegetables. You'll need at least two rainwater collectors, or if you're in winter, literally all the fuel.

The water system itself makes for a pretty interesting challenge. In summer water only costs you components, but you're limited on how much water you can produce in a given timeframe. In winter, water costs components plus fuel, but is effectively unlimited as long as you have the necessary materials.
I do just fine on water if I have just one collector; you can go through 3 filters per day, which translates into 12 water. That's enough to both cook and grow veggies, though it's a close thing (I forget precisely the math, and it's almost 2 AM so I'm not doing it, but ideal water use for 4 people translates into just enough to raise veggies too). By the time you're putting up a veggie garden, though, hopefully you've got building materials so well worked out that it's not really a thing to build another one. Only blocker is if you've used, like, all the mechanical parts ever.

If you're also wanting to distill though, yeah, that's a big problem.

Bootcha posted:

I've found you can clean out the house with just 3 people, a crowbar, and no shovel on the first day with a bit of finesse, to include building 2 beds and a radio. I'd write out the guide, but I think showing you would be easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agq9BRenFrY
That's pretty cool, though I still don't see why you'd hold off on building a shovel. It's practically guaranteed that you will require a shovel at some point during the game, but I have yet to find a game that produces enough debris piles to break a shovel in the first 20 days - and after 20 days, the investment is so small it doesn't matter.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 23, 2014

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

That's pretty cool, though I still don't see why you'd hold off on building a shovel. It's practically guaranteed that you will require a shovel at some point during the game, but I have yet to find a game that produces enough debris piles to break a shovel in the first 20 days - and after 20 days, the investment is so small it doesn't matter.

I guess it's more of a "You don't need the shovel built on the first day" kinda thing. Going to the abandoned/shelled house on the first night can net you the needed materials for a shovel on day 2. I cite the example more for those who want to eck out some OCD efficiency.

EDIT
Also, FYI, if you decide to go Bat-Pavle and murder bandits in the scaffolding church, but in the rush of the moment forget you spent the entire night stalking and murder-facing them, and leave without looting those bodies?

Yeah, those bodies disappear, taking their sweet gun loot with them to eastern-European heaven.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I think the disappearing bodies is a missed opportunity. Could expand on the theme.

• Locked thread