Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

Even with "lingerie rules" there will always be people like Hafu (Hearthstone) and Kaceytron (League of Legends) who are literally making thousands of dollars weekly of gullible nerds.

I once saw a guy (presumably) donate 1000$ to Hafu on Stream.

What the actual gently caress.

More power to them I suppose but they give honest theives a bad name. :colbert:

Really thoughthis is interesting; I've vaguely heard about making money off of bots and stuff but I've never been technologically competent enough to get it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Fauxtool posted:

They sued glider on the basis that they were modifying Blizzard files while in your memory and selling them as their own product.
No, they sued Glider and won on the basis of an absurd precedent (MAI v. Peak) that established that when someone runs a program, they are legally making a copy of it because the machine copies the executable code from the hard disk into RAM, and doing so in violation of the EULA constitutes making an unauthorized copy. Glider was considered to be committing contributory copyright infringement in the same way as Napster because, legally, running = copying. Really.

Fauxtool posted:

Gold sellers are great for games. They are my #1 indicator of a healthy game. If a game has no sellers, it probably has a terrible economy and a low population. The hate they get from players in unwarranted in most cases. Its a full time job with terrible pay, and they are just trying to make a living.
That might have been true at one point, but these days, a ton of the gold sales are from accounts that were either hacked and then stripped of valuables, or botted on accounts registered with stolen credit cards.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

afkmacro posted:

I don't know. I mean yeah its not worth a help desk job but for some the teenagers who made bank on the diablo 3 auction house, it must have been nice. For grown rear end adults? it's not sustainable and embarrassing.

Yeah, when D3 came out I wasn't even old enough to legally get a job. I didn't bot it for big bucks though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I lived in thailand or some other country with extremely cheap labor I could feasibly make money running a gold farm. It would be easier and more profitable to do identity theft and CC fraud.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

Even with "lingerie rules"

Also, what's that mean?

Fauxtool posted:

If I lived in thailand or some other country with extremely cheap labor I could feasibly make money running a gold farm. It would be easier and more profitable to do identity theft and CC fraud.

Police are much more likely to clamp down on that sort of thing though..

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anatharon posted:

Also, what's that mean?

Police are much more likely to clamp down on that sort of thing though..

Its thailand, pay the cops.

Twitch implemented a clearer code of conduct recently
http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/983016-twitch-rules-of-conduct
Wearing no clothing or sexually suggestive clothing - including lingerie, swimsuits, pasties, and undergarments - will most likely get you reported by the community, as well as any full nude torsos*, which applies to both male and female broadcasters

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

Its thailand, pay the cops.

Twitch implemented a clearer code of conduct recently
http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/983016-twitch-rules-of-conduct
Wearing no clothing or sexually suggestive clothing - including lingerie, swimsuits, pasties, and undergarments - will most likely get you reported by the community, as well as any full nude torsos*, which applies to both male and female broadcasters

Huh, I didn't realize they had that much of a problem with that sort of thing, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anatharon posted:

Huh, I didn't realize they had that much of a problem with that sort of thing, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
The new rules cant stop it, but there are some gross streams like this
http://www.twitch.tv/kristiplays/b/589331222
She's not naked or anything, just a gross exaggeration of female proportions.

Does anyone have some good hacking videos?
I like this because its terrible and it nails the target demographic perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvJjYhAsgs0

If anyone has corrections or content to the OP please let me know

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 19, 2014

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Wow I had no idea you could make so much money. Maybe I should be programming bots instead of mods lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I always thought the planetside 2 aim botting was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yWnI7y03g

They can also make tanks fly with no problems, not sure if this still happens.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Hacking in old games was more fun because the developers did really dumb and insecure things. Especially in old MMOs.

Anatharon posted:

They didn't. They just changed the rules because the old rules were being enforced in an uneven way. Girl streamers were unfairly targeted under the old rules for wearing acceptable things, while guy streamers could have nothing on except some short swimming trunks and not get their channel shutdown. Now guy streamers are held to the same standard as girl streamers pretty much. It's in twitch's best interest to have their site be a video game streaming site and not myfreecams with video games for teens.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 19, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its subscription based payment too, so the money is constant. The buddy bot forums are a great place for coders to pick up money. The site provides a barebones hack and the majority of the tools are made by members that charge for the tools. If you make a working navigation tool and you are the only one, you get to name your price. A lot of the work is just porting over the tools from an older game so its pretty simple if you are all competent.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reggin posted:

I always thought the planetside 2 aim botting was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yWnI7y03g

They can also make tanks fly with no problems, not sure if this still happens.

ps2 had some pretty good stats based anti-cheat beyond the normal stuff if i remember correctly. If you were doing too well you get flagged and then reviewed.

It's such a target rich game that 1 hacker can really ruin the game for a lot of people

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When I first heard about subscription based hacking tools I thought it was a hoax. But it makes sense.

These people build up communities around games and provide hacks to any game as long as you pay the subscription fee. They also share info on things to do and not do do such as how to tone down your hacking as not to be too suspicious.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

ps2 had some pretty good stats based anti-cheat beyond the normal stuff if i remember correctly. If you were doing too well you get flagged and then reviewed.

It's such a target rich game that 1 hacker can really ruin the game for a lot of people

Well no, its mostly x amount of kills without a death (235 or 255, thereabouts iirc) and you get a flag for a GM to talk to you/observe you or some such. Find a great sniping spot and have the mental defect that lets you sit there for 3 hours and you can have a fun convo with those guys.

Supposedly there were a few cheat detection passes that got people banned, up to hardware bans or something. AFAIK there some known hackers who just appeal and because they are whales they can get back in. The guys not buying cashshop stuff tend not to get their appeal recognized.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Synnr posted:

Supposedly there were a few cheat detection passes that got people banned, up to hardware bans or something.

the hardware banning scheme is ridiculously simple in planetside 2 and nobody writing their own cheats is really affected by it. they tend to hardware ban rather than IP ban, which means bans don't really matter.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Daman posted:

the hardware banning scheme is ridiculously simple in planetside 2 and nobody writing their own cheats is really affected by it. they tend to hardware ban rather than IP ban, which means bans don't really matter.

Oh I'm aware, I just remember the last big one and a bunch of folks were trawling the more popular sites taking screenshots or giving dramatic readings of some of the less intelligent folk complaining about it.

I frankly have no idea how hardware bans/circumvention even work and haven't ever gone out in search of hacks so I dunno if this sort of ebb and flow is common. Just the endless string of people demanding refunds was funny.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
am I really bad at this game or am I botting, who can really tell?
http://www.twitch.tv/lurikeenrock

few hiccups, but its up now

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 19, 2014

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The buddy bot guy has an interesting stance on legality and morality for all of his bots. He is in germany and follows the law to the letter and is currently fighting blizzard. Basically he only automates things and does not support anything you cannot do inside the game.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lampey posted:

The buddy bot guy has an interesting stance on legality and morality for all of his bots. He is in germany and follows the law to the letter and is currently fighting blizzard. Basically he only automates things and does not support anything you cannot do inside the game.

all the really good cheats off the buddy bot are player made and not included in the bot

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How did you start getting into all of this anyways? Just a background in computer science and messing around with code and figured you could make a profit?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anatharon posted:

How did you start getting into all of this anyways? Just a background in computer science and messing around with code and figured you could make a profit?

no computer background. the stuff i make is garbage compared to any real coder. I mostly just repurpose existing code.

When you can make money on a very simple task like grinding a monster, I feel like trying to automate it is a natural progression.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Fauxtool posted:

no computer background. the stuff i make is garbage compared to any real coder. I mostly just repurpose existing code.

When you can make money on a very simple task like grinding a monster, I feel like trying to automate it is a natural progression.

That's what is known as being an engineer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What does hardware banning even mean? They ban anyone connecting from a certain computer, regardless of if you change your IP? How do you even check for that?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 19, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

What does hardware banning even mean? They ban anyone connecting from a certain computer, regardless of if you change your? How do you even check for that?

pretty much. You agree to let them know the components of your computer in the ToA. The stated reason is for optimization across a broad variety of computer specs. Just the HW ID isnt usually enough to get a positive ID on someone. Its often used in conjunction with IP and other stuff.

A new mobo and processor is enough to get past it if it means that much to you

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What's stopping someone from just lying about their specs?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

What's stopping someone from just lying about their specs?

they arent asking you what they are. they pull them from your system files

This kind of info

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

People can change a lot of that info or spoof it to avoid hardware ID bans.

If we made a spectrum of how regularly people cheat, the bans tend to hit the middle ground of people who maybe cheat once or twice.

If you do it enough you can evade it and if you don't do it you normally don't get hit by it unless it is false positives or hackshield.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

RatHat posted:

What does hardware banning even mean? They ban anyone connecting from a certain computer, regardless of if you change your IP? How do you even check for that?

They usually take a hash of some combination of your hard drive serial, CPU, and mobo chipset info.

Evading this consists of stopping their code where it gets this info, and telling it that it got some other info.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daman posted:

They usually take a hash of some combination of your hard drive serial, CPU, and mobo chipset info.

Evading this consists of stopping their code where it gets this info, and telling it that it got some other info.

this thread is good and its totally not a cheater honeypot

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

this thread is good and its totally not a cheater honeypot

cheating is f*cked up and wrong

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I thought hardware banning meant banning your MAC address

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That would be as stupid as IP banning, since they're trivial to change.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It can mean a lot of things. ID bans tend to be from certain serial addresses from components on your computer.

MAC addresses are just the identifier for network hardware. These can be spoofed or faked. ISPs tend to use them for tracking purposes as well to see how many computers are on the network, but a lot of them are lazy or just don't.

Other hardware can be used as well such as your hard drives serial ID. Motherboard and BIOS info can also be used. Still this information can be spoofed, faked, or some times changed.

In any case, this information is not that difficult for people to spoof or change if they are people who tend to hack a lot. The sites that sell/rent you the hacks also have discussion spaces to explain how to change this info so that you can keep using their product.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I used to bot in UO. I am a bad person. But honestly gently caress leveling mage skills the hard way.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Rhymenoserous posted:

I used to bot in UO. I am a bad person. But honestly gently caress leveling mage skills the hard way.

Basic automation in UO was practically required
Who the hell can be arsed to click on the saw, click on the boards, click on a chair, wait, then repeat?

Heck, pretty sure the UO forever server allows RAZOR and the other automated things as long as it's just quality of life stuff.
(UO was a pretty sweet game and had a player-influenced economy *aka the shops sold poo poo for less/more the more demand there was VS people vendoring crafted equipment *there was no AH so they made vendors useful*)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

ThndrShk2k posted:

Basic automation in UO was practically required
Who the hell can be arsed to click on the saw, click on the boards, click on a chair, wait, then repeat?

Heck, pretty sure the UO forever server allows RAZOR and the other automated things as long as it's just quality of life stuff.
(UO was a pretty sweet game and had a player-influenced economy *aka the shops sold poo poo for less/more the more demand there was VS people vendoring crafted equipment *there was no AH so they made vendors useful*)

I used to play on a private server way, way back in the day and macro leveled certain skills until I got busted. What did they bust me for? Not emoting enough while doing things like mining or shooting bolts at a training dummy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is always a thing that some people don't realize.

Botting itself isn't really a bad thing for a lot of players. Given the opportunity to bot, they would do it.

When eastern games come to the west, they tend to have options to bot built in. People sure as hell use that function when it is legal and even discuss how to bot more efficiently.

The real problem there is that the grind isn't that fun and the bot helps with the grind. Games are not going to remove that grind any time soon since it is something that keeps players around and is pretty easy to design a game about. It is just a band aid fix to bad, or simple, game design. People love to see progression and that generally means a grind.

Games either have to be designed where a grind isn't needed by making all upgrades sidegrades like TF2 or putting a cap on daily progression, but the latter doesn't really help with that, just limits it. Age of Wushu and EvE have a progression system limited by time but bots still existed in either to do menial tasks no one found fun.

In wushu, people botted the ability to get cash shop cash via a kidnapping event. They also botted gathering materials. Crafting on the other hand wasn't botted that much since it was playing puzzle pirates.

In EvE, you have people who bot mining asteroids, something that is almost fundamental to the game. They have tried to develop other ways to get materials such as moon mining, but I suppose there are still other bots or trade bots running around. Someone may need to fill me in on that.

TF2 still has people bot for items so that they can get the rare drop weapon or hat that they always wanted. Being able to out right buy it has helped a bit with that, but now you just introduced a way to bot for real money.

World of Tanks will have bots as long as people want to see the high end game and are locked behind a treadmill of progression that actively gets harder, to almost impossible, without premium.

As long as there is a treadmill in games and events that monotonous, people will bot them out. If they make botting legal and incorporate that into the game, people will use those in game systems for it.

The hard things game developers can do is to make these boring activities more fun. The other thing they can do is introduce an in game bot that is limited or can be used for players enjoyment as to protect their customer base from buying / downloading bots that may be harmful to their customers.

There are a few programs that people use to practice programming which are bot based. In one, you design a bug that follows certain parameters and then the game randomly grabs bugs and sends them to other worlds. You see who lives the longest. Some bugs are designed to be aggressive and be in wolf packs, some are passive herd bugs and will sacrifice a single member in order to protect the herd. These can be quite fun to design and play with.

If video games let your bot help build the basic AI of the game, people would devote a lot of effort to make more effective bots which would help the game develop into a real challenge. Or if those bots were used in events in place of npcs, all the better. It would also add a personal component to the game where you may learn certain names of bots or see your friends as bots and have a meaningful choice to gently caress with them or not.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone has any questions about what cheats exist for which games, please ask away. If you thought you saw someone hacking but werent sure if a hack like that even exists, ask away.

I'll be adding to the OP about cheating in single player games next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Lack of gold sellers indicates a dead game in no way translates into "gold sellers are great for a game" what the gently caress are you even talking about dude.

• Locked thread