Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
A lot of people will decry cheating or the RMT market, but so many people spend money there to make it profitable that it is kinda hard to say most players hate it. The market is really that large.

One of the non RMT cheats that I always found funny was for planetside 2. I think it was just cheat engine. But if anyone came near you, like gun range near you, it would move your cursor directly to their head.

You also knew if people were targeting your head with this cheat, so someone I know had paid for it and started moving around.

It is amazing how many people are using the cheat because of all of the head shot warnings he would get when he entered an area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hobo Siege posted:

What I'll never understand are the morons who cheat in games like Payday 2. I'm not talking about skipping the grind; I'm talking about folks who disable the enemy AI, instapop the vault and all that boring poo poo. It's strictly co-op so you're not gaining an advantage over anyone and you're not ruining anyone's day, so what's the motivation? Why even waste HD space on the game if you don't want to play it?

One of the first games that had god mode like this was Doom.

It was really fun to turn on god mode and just run around like an idiot.

It is still probably fun in Payday 2.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I always thought the planetside 2 aim botting was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yWnI7y03g

They can also make tanks fly with no problems, not sure if this still happens.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When I first heard about subscription based hacking tools I thought it was a hoax. But it makes sense.

These people build up communities around games and provide hacks to any game as long as you pay the subscription fee. They also share info on things to do and not do do such as how to tone down your hacking as not to be too suspicious.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

People can change a lot of that info or spoof it to avoid hardware ID bans.

If we made a spectrum of how regularly people cheat, the bans tend to hit the middle ground of people who maybe cheat once or twice.

If you do it enough you can evade it and if you don't do it you normally don't get hit by it unless it is false positives or hackshield.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It can mean a lot of things. ID bans tend to be from certain serial addresses from components on your computer.

MAC addresses are just the identifier for network hardware. These can be spoofed or faked. ISPs tend to use them for tracking purposes as well to see how many computers are on the network, but a lot of them are lazy or just don't.

Other hardware can be used as well such as your hard drives serial ID. Motherboard and BIOS info can also be used. Still this information can be spoofed, faked, or some times changed.

In any case, this information is not that difficult for people to spoof or change if they are people who tend to hack a lot. The sites that sell/rent you the hacks also have discussion spaces to explain how to change this info so that you can keep using their product.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is always a thing that some people don't realize.

Botting itself isn't really a bad thing for a lot of players. Given the opportunity to bot, they would do it.

When eastern games come to the west, they tend to have options to bot built in. People sure as hell use that function when it is legal and even discuss how to bot more efficiently.

The real problem there is that the grind isn't that fun and the bot helps with the grind. Games are not going to remove that grind any time soon since it is something that keeps players around and is pretty easy to design a game about. It is just a band aid fix to bad, or simple, game design. People love to see progression and that generally means a grind.

Games either have to be designed where a grind isn't needed by making all upgrades sidegrades like TF2 or putting a cap on daily progression, but the latter doesn't really help with that, just limits it. Age of Wushu and EvE have a progression system limited by time but bots still existed in either to do menial tasks no one found fun.

In wushu, people botted the ability to get cash shop cash via a kidnapping event. They also botted gathering materials. Crafting on the other hand wasn't botted that much since it was playing puzzle pirates.

In EvE, you have people who bot mining asteroids, something that is almost fundamental to the game. They have tried to develop other ways to get materials such as moon mining, but I suppose there are still other bots or trade bots running around. Someone may need to fill me in on that.

TF2 still has people bot for items so that they can get the rare drop weapon or hat that they always wanted. Being able to out right buy it has helped a bit with that, but now you just introduced a way to bot for real money.

World of Tanks will have bots as long as people want to see the high end game and are locked behind a treadmill of progression that actively gets harder, to almost impossible, without premium.

As long as there is a treadmill in games and events that monotonous, people will bot them out. If they make botting legal and incorporate that into the game, people will use those in game systems for it.

The hard things game developers can do is to make these boring activities more fun. The other thing they can do is introduce an in game bot that is limited or can be used for players enjoyment as to protect their customer base from buying / downloading bots that may be harmful to their customers.

There are a few programs that people use to practice programming which are bot based. In one, you design a bug that follows certain parameters and then the game randomly grabs bugs and sends them to other worlds. You see who lives the longest. Some bugs are designed to be aggressive and be in wolf packs, some are passive herd bugs and will sacrifice a single member in order to protect the herd. These can be quite fun to design and play with.

If video games let your bot help build the basic AI of the game, people would devote a lot of effort to make more effective bots which would help the game develop into a real challenge. Or if those bots were used in events in place of npcs, all the better. It would also add a personal component to the game where you may learn certain names of bots or see your friends as bots and have a meaningful choice to gently caress with them or not.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Day Z is a fun example of when an idiot trys to stop hackers.

Like most of the efforts to stop someone hacking, it affects players who do not hack more than it does the hackers.

So Day Z was written for Arma which had a system called battleye that would ban you from any arma server. Since Arma is a poo poo simulator, it didn't sell much. When Rocket made Day Z, arma was selling like hot cakes. It sold so well that the arma devs gave rocket the power to ban people via battleye.

So rocket did the following

Introduced a script that would battleye ban anyone that spawned in a vehicle that wasn't supposed to be on that map
It did not ban the person who spawned it
It only banned the person who got into it
It did not work on vehicles that were supposed to be on that map

Introduced a script to catch people if they were moving too fast
It was a few nested if else statements
the first if was checking if you were moving faster than 0
This means if you were moving at all, it wouldn't check to see if you were moving too fast

Introduced a script for a modified UI
if you had any legit mods, you would be banned from battleye

He changed this over time and never admitted to making a mistake. Several people I know who did not hack did get hit by this.

Hackers on the other hand had no issues avoiding all of this. Arma gave every client admin control over the server because it was never meant to be a video game.

• Locked thread