Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Public transportation? Depending on where you live this is a viable option. It will most likely be super inconvenient (get up at 6:00 AM get home at 7:00 PM) because you will be at the mercy of the bus schedule, but it will definitely keep you going.

Unless there's somewhere to work within walking distance or you can scrap together some money (personal loan, family loan, sell everything you own) it sounds like you're pretty screwed. There are a large number of jobs out there where telecommuting is a viable option, however you are at the mercy of your employer and most employers don't like people telecommuting more than a few days a week unless the job is specifically set up to be telecommuted or you're some exemplary employee they don't want to lose.

Talk with your employer, look into getting a loan to buy a beater ($1500-$3000 car), find a job locally that you can walk/bike to, or look into public transportation are about your only options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I'm not going to patronize you with the "this is why you need an emergency fund" speech...

My buddy was a "work from home" rep for whoever Comcast contracts through for local support. It was a pretty okay gig at $10-$11 an hour and the only real requirements were:

1. Have a computer
2. Have stable internet access
3. Know how to google (or in this case internal wiki) problems

I don't remember the name of the company, but you may be able to find it. Might work as a temporary holdover.

Again, not trying to patronize you, but how much do you make at a job that is 30 minutes away? Are you even breaking even over minimum wage at a local burger flipping job?

• Locked thread