Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Can someone explain to me what the hell I'm supposed to do against Robin? His stupid fire projectile leaves no room to jump in because anything past it is within punish range, and I can't just sit back and make him come to me because he'll just keep charging his loving book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Approaching Robin is very difficult, the best you can do is pick a character that can either reflect projectiles, or can get in close enough to shut him down since Robin falls apart in close combat. As for the air, never approach or let yourself be approached with yourself above him; other than his up air, his attacks in the air are incredibly pinpoint and hard to land and his specials aren't as useful.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mabels big day posted:

Wario Ware is better than Wario Land.

no no no no

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Robin is a girl

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3h9r9w/official_36_full_netplay_release/cu5ns0t

here's the new project m 3.6 netplay build btw.

edit: if you haven't set it up before follow this guide https://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/25js/2015-06-18/project-m-netplay-guide except use the new build instead obviously

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sharrrk posted:

Robin is a girl

The Boy Wonder? I rest my case.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kurtofan posted:

The Boy Wonder? I rest my case.

The "wonder" is their gender

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm just joshin with ya, boy Robin is cool because he has a white mage costume.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

sharrrk posted:

Robin is a girl

Not according to the newest Fire Emblem game.

And, well, CodeName S.T.E.A.M.

Kurtofan posted:

no no no no

yes yes yes yes

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire

hold on, I wasn't playing in the tourney!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the wario ware games are barely about wario. I want to control wario in all his stinky greediness.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire pk fire

i also on occasion use pk thunder

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell I'm supposed to do against Robin? His stupid fire projectile leaves no room to jump in because anything past it is within punish range, and I can't just sit back and make him come to me because he'll just keep charging his loving book

Pick Villager and pocket every single projectile, and then do the Villager Dance.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Polo-Rican posted:

Pick Villager and pocket every single projectile, and then do the Villager Dance.

I will say it again: that dance is the Trunk Funk Shuffle and it is the most powerful taunt in the game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Parrotine posted:

How long does it take to get all of these drat customs?

Had the game for 2+ months now and still haven't managed to unlock them all. There's gotta be a way to unlock individual customs faster, I'm getting tired of racking up doubles of one's I already have

Grinding for customs sucks, it takes forever. The quickest ways that I got mine finished though were from either doing target blast, crazy orders, or hard all-star with the desired character. I ended up getting a lot of characters done with all-star in particular, just because I was going for all trophies and died a lot to that mode.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Parrotine posted:

How long does it take to get all of these drat customs?

Had the game for 2+ months now and still haven't managed to unlock them all. There's gotta be a way to unlock individual customs faster, I'm getting tired of racking up doubles of one's I already have

make a controller setup where A is special, then go into target blast 2 and pick dorf. keep spamming a, both bombs will clear all but one of the large targets. from here, if you have a turbo controller set A to rapid fire and let it sit. otherwise you can press pause each time it starts and see if one of the targets is a part. if there isnt one, restart.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Reiley posted:

Sorry if this is off-topic but it's really bothering me: "I shot a goal in Chi-town" would have matched the meter of the original song much better, if you switch out "him" for "them". Phew! That's a load off my chest.

Someone bought the avatar for me as I'm an avid blackhawks thread and really hate the Blues.
Also Game N Watch superiority

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Tell us which char you use though

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Chieves posted:

Grinding for customs sucks, it takes forever. The quickest ways that I got mine finished though were from either doing target blast, crazy orders, or hard all-star with the desired character. I ended up getting a lot of characters done with all-star in particular, just because I was going for all trophies and died a lot to that mode.

So am I correct in assuming that All-Star mode is the best way of getting individual movesets?

At this point even Crazy Orders isn't getting me a lot of customs; I think I've got maybe 90 left and at this point they're coming in like an IV drip

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I have the same problem against Robin, and the answer is, patience and tenacity. I'm guess you're playing a large character which makes avoiding Arcfire a bit more difficult, but if you can space yourself properly and time your jumps right when they use Arcfire, you can use a quick aerial to land and punish them, if you fast fall with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwvYc4TG2u8

I linked this earlier just because of the funny kill at the end, but in it there's some good examples of what I'm talking about. What I'm trying to do, albeit only somewhat successfully, is weave in and out while Robin attacks, trying to find an opening for me to hit with a bair of fair. If she uses Arcfire and I don't think I'm in a position to punish, I won't go in for an attack (or I will, and get punished myself). I'm not gonna lie, most of the time I get my rear end kicked against sharrrk's Robin, but the key is to focus and try not to get frustrated. Also she does have a recovery that can be edgeguarded against too.

If you're playing a fast character, then it's a lot easier to do all of this too and stay in her face.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So I went to an NYC Smash4 tournament and had a good time, even though I got knocked out pretty early. Got to hang out briefly with Dabuzz and Nairo and John Numbers, which was fun. Even made some new friends.

Trouble is, due to syncing issues, they're banning everything except gamecube controllers next week. I don't know if I'll be going back.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
just make the swap to gamecube controller, it's better!!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

A gamecube controller is the best way to control your gamecube

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Forcing people to use a 15 year old controller that needs a hard to find attachment to be able to practice with is a cool and good idea, i agree

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Screw the GameCube controller.

• The WiiU ABXY arrangement gives both Attack and Special their "own" jump buttons
  • Digital bumpers and triggers (and having one more of them!) are better-suited to SSB4's shield mechanics and general button-mapping
  • The GCN pad is incredibly uncomfortable in my hands because i have long weird fingers
  • All my GCN pads are old and worn-out and I don't wanna make the $30 + months of re-training investment.

I'd rather use the 3DS than a GameCube controller.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Disgusting

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Sorry, but the Pro controller is better in almost every way and works with more games to boot. Put away your old toys and try something better.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Disgusting

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

With the GCC (and also the pad), you should map out your controller buttons so jump is on a shoulder and grab is on X or Y to allow for the best imput options.

I agree that the pro controller is more comfortable and the button setup in general is better but being wireless adds complications that mess up tourney speed and causes slight imput delay which is pretty important for the players who want to go far in the game. Anyways the choice is yours to make

Anyways here's a video on foxtrot canceling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppw-igC6Uog

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
I do wish there was a Gamecube controller variant with digital shoulder buttons.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

blue font posted:

I do wish there was a Gamecube controller variant with digital buttons.

Isn't that pretty much what the HORI Battle Pads are?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Spinning Robo posted:

Forcing people to use a 15 year old controller that needs a hard to find attachment to be able to practice with is a cool and good idea, i agree

Hard to find? That poo poo is everywhere man, have you been living under a rock?

Even Walmart has a steady supply of CG adapters, come on son

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

Isn't that pretty much what the HORI Battle Pads are?

Those are Wii Classic Controllers and therefore qualify as "wireless" and probably won't be allowed either.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Hard to find? That poo poo is everywhere man, have you been living under a rock?

Even Walmart has a steady supply of CG adapters, come on son

This certainly hasn't always been the case, they were pretty rare up until a few months ago.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tonetta posted:

This certainly hasn't always been the case, they were pretty rare up until a few months ago.

I've seen the actual gamecube controllers in stores constantly since their initial release. It wasn't until a few months ago that I've seen the adapters on shelves with any regularity, though.

There might have been a short period where the controllers got pulled from shelves due to not selling, but the blame for that lies on the lack of adapters more than anything.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DoctorWhat posted:

your opinion is fine except for this

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

DoctorWhat posted:

Screw the GameCube controller.

• The WiiU ABXY arrangement gives both Attack and Special their "own" jump buttons
  • Digital bumpers and triggers (and having one more of them!) are better-suited to SSB4's shield mechanics and general button-mapping
  • The GCN pad is incredibly uncomfortable in my hands because i have long weird fingers
  • All my GCN pads are old and worn-out and I don't wanna make the $30 + months of re-training investment.

[gif of baby making frowny face after tasting lime]
[gif of chris tucker and ice cube reacting to your post]
[gif of black bear baby being scared outta its wits as a mad catz controller comes close]

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

whalestory posted:

[gif of baby making frowny face after tasting lime]
[gif of chris tucker and ice cube reacting to your post]
[gif of black bear baby being scared outta its wits as a mad catz controller comes close]

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do not like the Gamecube controller in TYOOL 2K15. It's a scientific fact that a diamond face button layout is the most good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Tonetta posted:

Anyways here's a video on foxtrot canceling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppw-igC6Uog

Oh there's a name for this? I've been doing this with ZSS for a few weeks now.

• Locked thread