Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How come I keep turning off the "Tap to Jump" option on the Controls menu, but my characters keep jumping when I tap UP anyway?

Cuz that poo poo is getting annoying.

You've got to assign a profile to your controller slot, it's not automatic like on the 3DS. Every single time. Even changing game modes. God help you if you forget about it when starting a classic run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

PirateDentist posted:

I haven't played a Smash since the N64 one. Hooked it up last week and played for a while and my itch to catch up on all those missed Nintendo games finally caught up with all this awesome SSB footage. I ordered a refurb Wii U and picked up Smash and MK8 today.

I want to pick up a gamepad to properly play both of these, having no preference what would be a solid option to relearn from scratch on? There's the GC option, those fight pads that plug into the wiimote, and the Wii U pro controller.

Is one regarded as "best" if you aren't coming straight from Brawl or Melee?

I've warmed up to the pro controller because I like its button layout better, but I imagine most people would vote for the Gamecube controller. If the GCC isn't already cemented in your mind as "the" Smash controller, though, take a chance on the Pro. You can use it for more games, too.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's been gone since what, Melee? I don't think it was in Brawl. But yeah, it's really satisfying. A welcome return.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

KingEffingFrost posted:

Just tried out Smash Tour with actual human beings. We all hate it, and also each other, and are still uncertain as to what the gently caress happened over the last 30 minutes.

Working as intended, then?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Master Fortress loving sucks. It's not like Classic mode is enough of a grueling slog to clear already, let's throw a gauntlet to run on top of the string of 5 bosses in a row, AND make it the primary way to make money!
Give 'em a heart container.
Yeah.
Like that.
Good.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Do you like this game at all.

Serious question.

He's not wrong, though. Master Core loving sucks, and makes Classic mode runs take way longer than they should.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Davinci posted:

Why not try, yknow, looking at the screen before you draw conclusions.

To be fair, it only shows up once you've selected an event and it's over in the left corner rather than the right, which is where you're probably looking.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Goons after the release of SSB43DS: "God, Smash run loving sucks! Why would Sakurai even waste time including this?"
Goons after the release of SSB4WiiU: "gently caress this Smash Tour business! Bring back Smash Run! :argh:"

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That said Events and Orders are better than any of the single player stuff 3DS had

Oh, absolutely. Special Orders are the easily my favorite new mode, when they're not doing everything in their power to gently caress you over. Which is all the time.

For example, I had a great Crazy Orders run going the other night, 3 CDs and a ton of other crap, and I felt like cashing in. So I go to fight Crazy Hand and everything's going normally until he uses the space-goatse attack and one of his cronies kicks me in. Unfortunately, instead of spitting me back out, the hole closed and my nametag was stuck floating in the middle of the screen, forever. Nothing could hit me, and no amount of button mashing did anything. There's no timer during the CH fight either, so I couldn't even time out to salvage some prizes. All I could do was quit back to the character select screen and flush aaallllll of those prizes down the cosmic shitter. I can handle a hammer spawning right in front of a CPU or the game dropping a bob-omb in front of you, but this was new. Fucker broke the game in just the right way to piss in my eye, that's dedication.

Has this happened to anyone else, or am I just incredibly unlucky?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Olimar's big issue is that you gotta play him a lot more measured in Smash 4. Going down to 3 Pikmin is a much bigger nerf then it sounds like- it's really easy to suddenly find yourself down two Pikmin and finding you can't throw out moves as quickly because Pikmin always have to finish the animation of the attack you used them for and get back to their spot behind Olimar before they're usable again.

That said, a methodical Olimar is actually probably nearly as good as his Brawl version. He trades some raw power for some new tricks, predictability in plucked Pikmin, and a much better recovery.

... just not on the 3DS version, where the Pikmin's crappier AI can lead to them getting 'stuck' sometimes and suddenly finding yourself grabbing air because your Pikmin are caught up on the edge of the stage or something. Seriously, 3DS Olimar is probably a full tier below Wii U Olimar just because of some of the pathfinding problems the Pikmin have.

Yeah, having only 3 Pikmin means you basically have to give as much attention to your Pikmin as you do your opponent, although the fixed order makes them MUCH more managable. Olimar's options at any given time vary drastically based on his lead Pikmin, and you've got to be mindful of that or you'll end up trying to Fair a white Pikmin or throw a purple short. He's super technical because you have to know all the ins and outs of the different Pikmin, but that can work to your advantage cause who the hell knows how to fight an Olimar? He's rarer than hen's teeth online. Little tricks like knowing that white pikmin have an increased grab range and do 3-4% per pummel or an unexpected aerial out of your recovery can help you get a leg up if they're not expecting it. His patched Fsmash range is a godsend, too.

I gave him another chance after Smash4WiiU came out, and it really is night and day in terms of viability. I'm happy I can go back to using him.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 30, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Smash Tour is actually pretty fun if you get a full complement of real human beings to play it, and you're good enough friends to handle a little skulduggery.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Sade posted:

Who does Mew2King play in this game? That's my new main.

I'm gonna blindly guess Sheik, Rosalina, or Diddy Kong for the sassy joke option. Those all seem like rear end in a top hat characters that tourney people would use.
e: not that tourney players are assholes, just that they seem predisposed to using rear end in a top hat characters.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

2 out of 3, not bad. :v:
Sonic is unexpected, though. Is it because most of his attacks seem to have stupidly good priority?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

And there is a guy who mains Mii Brawler that caused a mild stir by using it to cause an upset. I think KTAR XI banned custom moves partially because of this (it's not part of Brawler's "default" set). It's not technically a glitch. Some moves that are multihit have max knockback to ensure that the victim lands into the follow-up hit. This normally isn't an issue since the follow-up hit will cancel the knockback from the first, but apparently Brawler can make it so only the first hit goes through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhAJxTR560
(see it in action around the 2:50 mark)

I think you linked the wrong video there, not seeing any Mii Brawlers.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Apparently that's a problem with some Wii Us.

Do we know which Wii Us? I've been holding off even powering mine on until more information surfaced, but the reports seem to be mixed at best. Is there a handy infodump somewhere that explains everything?
I really want to smash some bros :(

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Some newer ones. Launch models like mine seem to be unafflicted. I'd wager it has to do with some faults in some production runs of the flash memory, based on the error occuring when going into Data Management,

Newer ones, huh? Mine's not exactly launch, but I've had it for quite a while. Is there a rough timeline of when this started happening?
Thanks for the answers also, sorry for grilling you like this.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Just had my first ever Olimar ditto on FG. It was... confusing.
Unrelated, but how do most people deal with the type of player who uses nothing but projectiles from one side of the stage, and when you get close they scuttle away to the other side? I can tack on the percent fine, but they're so slippery I can't finish the job and they get tons of free rage. I had a match earlier with DHD and he lasted until about 180% before I could get a clean hit in. It almost went to time too, but he got hooked under the stage when trying to recover with 7 seconds to go. Am I just a huge scrublord for not being able to close out a stock on these guys?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The one change I made to the controls is putting grab on Y, since I only jump with X anyway.

Well, I guess I also turned off tap-jump.

You fool! Y is great because it's right next to B. You can jump while using specials for the first time ever, without having to make a freaky claw hand even!
Wait, we are talking about the pro controller, right?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This game has, bar none, the shittiest Classic mode in the series.
Master Coretress is the shittiest boss fight and biggest slog in any smash.
8 player matches don't belong in a mode where the computers only ever go after you.

Well that's my salty diatribe thanks for listening.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Reiley posted:

The Duck Hunt I saw in a VG Bootcamp tournament seemed to set up a base behind his sheriffs and tried to put all three projectile moves out to control space as well as possible (sheriff, can, skeet). He did well until someone broke through his sheriff encampment, I think this was the guy who up-smashed a Peach and then jumped off the stage and SD'd before the Peach could finish vanishing into the distance, giving up a win in the very last moment.

Why would anyone do this? Was it an accident, or did he just gently caress up really hard trying to style on someone?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I made an Ike rage quit similarly on 3DS:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8557RTXPg

To be fair I would have ragequit too, because that was some bullshit. Great reversal of fortune, though.
Unrelated, but I noticed how you recovered twice from red spark launch right next to the edge, was this recorded before they gutted vectoring?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

There's a face I haven't seen in a while. Still dreaming the impossible dream, Bonzi?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Deviant posted:

I learned something today. If you throw a cucco at ZSS, and she hits it with her side B, it'll just stop, like nothing happened.

So apparently you can't hit a chicken, but you can taze the poo poo out of one.

STOP RESISTING

You know how a chicken takes three steps and then forgets?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Figured out how to do a forward bair, I'm super chuffed. I know it's a really simple thing in retrospect, but I'm still excited. See also; relearning how to use the C-stick after the wake of 3DS smash. Got a lot of bad habits to train myself out of from that.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

I'm kinda weaning myself off the C-stick in this game because it feels really unreliable. I'll nair when I mean to fair, try to tilt on the ground and get nothing, etc.

I've only ever used the C-Stick for smash attacks, never really considered it for aerials. The only reason I started using it again was because I was getting sick of smashes turning into tilts with manual smashes. By forwards bair I meant just running up, turning around really fast, then shorthopping a backair in the direction I was originally going. I'm still a pretty big smash scrub, so I don't know the technical term for it, or if it even merits one.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 12, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh yeah, sorry for doubleposting but I just remembered I fought somebody by the name of Hank H. with a Hank Hill Mii yesterday on FG, and I just KNOW it was one of you guys. First match was a white-palette Charizard(propanizard?), second was a stock Toon Link. Who was it?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

i cant believe you made this post

Haha, it was you? Don't I have all the luck. I even changed my nametag to "Bobby" for the second fight but you must not have thought it was funny, cause you took off.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 12, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

You're a loving retard.

And you're a delusional weirdo with a fetish for Donkey Kong characters.
We're perfect for each other!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

:siren:NINTENDO WORLD:siren:
Are they paying you to shill for them or something? At least half of your posts in this thread involve Nintendo World in some way.

Austrian mook posted:

Dont compare yourself to Bonzi
Sorry for offending your ironic messiah.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 12, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

I just noticed today that Game and Watch can follow up after his up B. Can anyone else do that?

Off the top of my head, Sonic, Mega Man, and ROB's recoveries allow them free movement afterwards, Bowser Jr can attack with his hammer, and Olimar can use one aerial out of Winged Pikmin before going into special fall.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm kinda sad that they're (purportedly) not going to keep tweaking character balance, because while it's currently functional a lot of characters are still below par in comparison to the rest of the cast. Although, the way the article reads it could just be Sakurai personally that has no plans for future tweaking. There's nothing stopping him from delegating that job to the rest of his team. Plus, dude's got to be pretty sick of making Smash after four whole games, what with it loving up his arm and all. He probably just wants to do his own thing like with KI:U, but they keep dragging him back to this. Hasn't he gone on record saying that he's basically done with Smash after this?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You got a link to the video that .gif is from? Looks exciting.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Holy moly.
e: In a good way, I mean. Didn't know ZSS could do that with the paralyzer smash.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 19, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I usually just try to enjoy the game, I don't really care if I lose a match but after fighting constant streams of Macs it gets old after a while. I used to enjoy playing Pokemon online, but eventually I just started seeing the same teams over and over. It'd be like Melee having an online component, where you'd see a high amount of Falcos and Shieks. I know this doesn't really justify my dislike for Mac but the whole situation's just gotten annoying. Is Wii U's For Glory mode more diverse when it comes to opponents?

I fought a Luigi yesterday, so I guess a little? There's still a lot of Rosalinkmac, but other characters seem to show up with pretty good frequency.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Maleficent posted:

I don't feel like I can play the 3ds version online, it's just way too laggy to be enjoyable. Not as bad as Brawl, but not exactly that great either. Is the wii u version any different? I don't own that one.

Wii-U online is much faster and more reliable, can confirm.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

What I want to know is why Kongo Jungle 64 is a valid 8-player stage.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So, uh. I don't know if this is old news, but... You know how Pac-Man can grab his bonus fruits off the ground if they don't hit anything? Well, I just found out by accident that you can z-drop them on people. And they do the damage they would have done as a projectile, while also being a giant bouncing hitbox. And then you can pick them up and drop them again, or just chuck them at your enemy instead. Please be aware that if your opponent is not a moron, they will figure out what you're doing and start doing it themselves.

So, let's go down the list, shall we?
Cherries only do 4%, but they're the easiest to grab because you don't have to chase them down. I can probably see this being the most useful just due to how immediately available it is, and how harmless it is if turned against you.
Strawberries do 6%, and are similar to cherries in that they come to a stop, making pickup easy. They do travel a bit farther, though, you'll need about a half-length of FD for it to settle down.
Melons do 12%(!!!) and have stupid launching power, but are mercifully a pain to chase down. You'll need almost the full length of FD and a running start to catch this one.
Galaxian ship does a respectable 9%, and is probably the easiest non-resting fruit to catch. Everybody knows about catching it by now.
The Bell does 8%, but its true strength comes from being able to throw it unexpectedly after picking it up. Around 70%, if you peg someone with the bell point-blank you get a free uncharged smash attack. Pretty nice!
You cannot grab the Orange, Apple, or Key by your own power, at least not to my knowledge.

So, there's that. Pretty neat party trick, I guess.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Great Cave Offensive made it in because Sakurai made that game, much like all the Kirby+Kid Icarus stuff

Top level players jump off the side of the stage, throw the key at the side, then pick it up and get back on :smug:

I'm serious btw this is a real tactic. It seems way too easy to mess up though.

Also another pro tactic I never thought of with Pac Man: laying his trampoline on the ground. Now if someone tries to dash at you the trampoline bounces them up so they have to approach you from the air, and you can control the space with your hydrant and fruits too.

Wow, you really can grab the key by bouncing it off the stage, although the timing is super tricky. I could get it semi-reliably but it's probably not terribly practical in an actual fight unless I was doing something wrong.
You can catch the orange in this manner as well, and as it turns out, the apple can actually be grabbed through clever application of hydrant use. So, that's all bonus fruits accounted for! :toot:

And yeah, ground trampolines are great against characters with poor air game, like Little Mac. He does not enjoy trampolines. You can set up obstacle courses on the fly, it's pretty neat.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The further away they are from you, the later you'll grab them due to the jankily extending grab-box, so it's best to be as close as possible when you initiate. Sort of defeats the purpose of a ranged grab, but whatever. In any case, it's definitely not something you should be throwing out unless you're absolutely sure you're going to connect with it. His throws aren't really all that hot either, but I do love his down throw where he wakawakas on them.

But hey, it could be worse. It could be Olimar's grab, which is restricted to traveling along the ground. Protip: Never try to grab a Link that's about to do a dash attack with Olimar, because that tiny-rear end hop he does will send him OVER the grab's hitbox and he will sword you in the face. That was a bad day for Olimar.

e: Pacman's grab would be SO GOOD if it was active on more of its frames than just the outbound ones. I guess that would be kind of broken, though.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You can select that? I tried, but it never seemed to do anything. Dang.

• Locked thread