Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Technogeek posted:

Greninja looks more terrified than turned on.

Congratulations, you now understand a disturbingly large portion of the internet's fetish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Much like Ridley, smash run is simply too big. You could run laps around City Trial in the time it takes to explore one corner of the Smash Run map, and if you could encounter other players such a big map would leave no chance.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Fhate posted:

I like Great Cave Offensive. It's very different from any other map and the lava makes things interesting.

Great Cave Offensive is great once you figure out what's going on. The adjustment period is hell, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

messagemode1 posted:

I don't think most people play the game to the point where diddy kong's OPness actually matters or is even noticeable, so I don't think your last statement is true.

Yeah, agreed. Diddy's definitely good, but he doesn't seem Meta Knight levels of good where he has nearly every good tool available to him at a very high skill floor. I mean, just effectively using the bananas strikes me as requiring way more thought than Meta's spin-to-win and laser priority.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Why there isn't a stage that's just Hades, where the only stage hazard is his cutting remarks about your playing, I will never know.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Dark Pit and Lucina bug me because they could've at least been interesting. Especially Dark Pit, with the humongous amount of stuff Uprising had.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, I'd be fine with most of the stages and items in the game if they didn't feel so weirdly strong. Like the Flying Man in the 3DS version, for example, who can KO you at percentages most of the actual characters can only dream of. It seems like the knockback for everything but the characters themselves is far stronger than they were in past games, while the characters get KOs way later.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Beetle is all around a really bad design to me, that fucker should glow neon green.

The beetle, the drill arm, the gust bellows, and to a lesser degree the Boss Galaga all need to get the heck out. These aren't even related to my other complaint of overly high knockback on every item. These are just obnoxious instant kills 9 times out of 10. Especially the Gust Bellows, which means your recovery is null and void because you've got no chance of refreshing your jumps after a "hit."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

laplace posted:

I legitimately don't understand the issue with ledgehogging. Recover better, grabbing ledge is only one option and if you are being put in a situation where your one option is getting taken away consistently, you either need to learn to play better or not get manipulated out of a stock. Grabbing ledge is like the worst option for recovery in most cases anyway as it puts you either in a grab if they predict your ledge attack or a chase if you roll or jump.

Smash 4's offstage game blows rear end because it barely even matters. It's the same complaint people had with PM 3.02, that recoveries were way too good, to the point of limiting options or counterplaying offstage wasn't even really a thing because you were just as powerful off the edge as you were on stage.

Smash 4's offstage game would be perfect in theory. You can recover from far, encouraging risky play because you have room for ever. You can steal the ledge, encouraging less edgehogging and more badass midair interceptions. Overall you're changing a more passive and boring form of recovery-stopping with a more active, risky, and engaging one. The problem is you add the overbearing airdodges to the mix and end up jumbling everything up.

If you made the airdodge much more punishable, made stealing the ledge actually mean something for the player losing the ledge, and the blast zones a bit less forgiving, Smash 4 could have some incredible offstage play going on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Maple Leaf posted:

? If you can read a roll, you can read an airdodge.

There's also less setup, less animation frames, the ability to maneuver while airdodging, less control in the air as compared to the ground, less endlag. Compared to a roll, which can often be easily punished by a perceptive player, an airdodge is really safe.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Nobody's saying you're invincible. Just that it's a far stronger tool than it needs to be, and slows down gameplay because it's far easier to be the defender than the attacker in most cases.

Defences being riskier than attacks makes it more exciting because the attacker will feel the need to put themselves in danger more often to capitalize. It also makes the instances where a defense at a critical moment goes off without a hitch much more exciting, rather than the boring expectation.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind if there were a few designated "item zones" where items would end up spawning, kind of like how old FPS games had designated spots where the power weapons spawned. It would encourage mobility because protecting the item zones would be important for preventing an opponent from seizing the advantage, and also reduce randomness a good deal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
If Lucina becomes more like a fast spinny Roy and Dark Pit gets more Uprising gear, their continued inclusion would be worth it. Doc is fine as is because he's Doctor goddamn Mario.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Marth's grab being some psychic extension of his sword was stupid anyway.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheKingofSprings posted:

His hand can go right through people sometimes in this one though.

And if you land one you get 4%, no guaranteed followups.

Yeah, the hitboxes in this game feel really stupid sometimes. I don't miss Marth being some psychic pro wrestler, but his grab definitely deserves a buff or at least an honest hitbox.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Szmitten posted:

The thing with the vote is that it was worded in such a way that they can totally ignore the most popular choice if they don't feel like it or there's a licensing issue or anything else. Barring any kind of crazy left field third-party character dealing they actually go for, they've probably got ideas for who they want next anyway, and I bet if you're gonna vote realistically and seriously, they're wanting you to pick one of these:

Captain Toad (would legit be dope)
Chorus Men (or Karate Man if they can't be in like the Ice Climbers can't)
Chrom (don't do this)
Inkling (would legit be dope)
Paper Mario (would legit be dope)
Waluigi (complete the set)
Wolf (work's done)

Replace Waluigi with Bandana Dee and I see this being the most realistic set of options.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I hear all these DK votes like K. Rool and Dixie, but I think we're all missing the best choice of them all.

Bluster Kong.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

F. Lobot posted:

Megaman has been nerfed. :stonk:

What'd they do?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, okay. If they buffed topscreen air shooter kills I'm happy. Wasn't sure how to smash with items but this sucks for lemon and blade mixups.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
When Sakurai takes the stage Kojima will emerge from a cardboard box, put him in a sleeper hold, and explain that Snake assassinated Roy on the way to Smash 4.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ruggington posted:

I presume they ball so hard motherfuckers want to find them

Don't let them get in their zone.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Sakurai should put Daniel Bryan in smash, because they're both gonna become a farm if they keep overworking their arm injuries.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Also Roy's purple color reminds me of how annoyingly bad Douglas is in FE6 despite having the best color scheme. Now I'm sad.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ruggington posted:

I respect his ability to fight against the odds and I will gladly use his Five Knuckle Shuffle to defeat many powerful foes

The Cination will not tolerate you stealing one of their secret moves.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Goemon for Konami rep please. And where the hell is bomberman

Put in Ebisumaru, the hardest twerking man in Smash.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I do worry that Ryu, Roy, and Lucas might be a little bit strong. Mewtwo was made first and it definitely shows, with how comparatively tame he is.

Thankfully patches mean either those three can be turned down or everyone can be pumped up to compensate. And even at their strongest, none of them are Diddy during peak Hoo-Hah, or god forbid Brawl Meta Knight.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Macaluso posted:

gently caress Goku. Vegeta for Smash

gently caress Goku, gently caress Vegeta. Piccolo for Smash. His final smash can be driving cars.

Goku can be his assist trophy, and drive the other car.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
King K. Rool is just stepping aside for real best DK character, Bluster Kong.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

mabels big day posted:

Ok bear with me here, but imagine: DBZ Mii Fighter outfits. Goku gi and wig, saiyan armor, piccolo turban and cape, etc. Namco publishes dbz games too just some food for thought.

Goku for Brawler, Trunks for Swordfighter, Frieza Soldier with classic Saiyan armor for Gunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ruggington posted:

has vegeta been confirmed?

Final Smash: THAT'S MY BULMA!

• Locked thread