Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
gentlemen, hold on to your butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

i cant wrap my head around how good some people are at not always facing the wrong direction or landing grabs. also i cant seem to loving attack without doing a dash attack and i'm terrible at doing tilt attacks, i always end up doing a smash instead

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which controller are you using? There's an option to tie a scheme to your name that turns moves done by the second stick into tilts, which is really useful.

gamecube controller. i think i have the cstick set as tilts but uh i never really use it. like poo poo is too frantic for me to be like "oh yea i have this whole other stick down here that i can do poo poo with"

also when i move and use it, it ends up being a dash attack as well because i'm having trouble training myself to not smash the stick in the direction that i want to move

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

mabels big day posted:

It's hard for many people's brains, myself included, to think "push forward on the control stick" to not mean "jam the control stick as far forward as possible, because that is the direction i want to move"

They should let you hold down a button to run, and you won't run otherwise. that'd be great because I never use L and I don't want to always dash.

yes this. my giant retard hands just dont cooperate with my brain when its telling them that they dont have to slam the control stick in the direction they want to move

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

yo anybody wanna fight???????????????

nnid is kewpuh add for fight

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

we should fight

aight lets do this

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

do we get banned if we beat you

you should beat me because im not very good

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

always facing the wrong way on grabs

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

dedede's fsmash is also really dumb and slow

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

okay im going to eat lunch i will be back

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Yo join my game for fight

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

laplace posted:

I mean, no one plays Street Fighter because of the story. A lot of people play JRPGs because they like turn based combat. It's not that weird to play Smash because you like playing it rather than because it has Link in it.

Alternatively, lots of people play games just because they have characters they like. It goes both ways, but I think there's a lot to be said about having good enough mechanics that stand out moreso than just whatever character or aesthetic is in at the time. Soul Calibur 2 is a pretty good example, lots of people just bought that game because it had Link in it, but it held up because it was... just a good game with excellent gameplay systems that people still play. I think that's where a lot of the competitive community have frustrations, they feel Smash 4, while better than brawl, still doesn't have the kind of depth that makes it a good party game AND a good, long lasting competitive game. At least, that's what most of the complaints I read/hear are like.

i thought people bought it because ivy has huge fuckin tits

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

i play primarily with dedede and have so much goddamn trouble with Link and Robin for some reason. i can't get in close to either one of them and so much projectile spam goddddddd

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Cicadas! posted:

If he likes getting Gordos to the face, maybe. Any of Link's projectiles will bounce them right back.

pretty much this. i try to aim them as best as i can to maybe get a hit in between the barrage of arrows and boomerangs but more often than not the gordo comes straight back at my fat rear end

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Davinci posted:

Try jumping up real high and then throwing gordos from up there

pretty much but you leave yourself open to a lot of bullshit with how slow he is and how much faster they are

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I always assumed that the % value at the bottom was "per-session"? So when you first boot the game and get into your first match, you're always starting off at 0% because you haven't won yet. After you win a few and the lobby clears out, your % is more accurate, but it'll reset back to 0% if you back out to the online menu from character selection.

e: is there a glossary somewhere for the words y'all keep using like nair and tilt?

tilt - directional attack
neutral - attack
nair - neutral air attack
fair - air attack forward directionally
uair - air attack up directionally
dair - air attack down directionally
fmash - forward smash attack
gay - ground attack yourself
fat - forward attack titties
baby - backward attack by yourself

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

mabels big day posted:

I hate Sheik way more than I hate diddy, because diddy is from the greatest game ever made, and sheik is some lame edgy ninja character who dumb people think is cool.

strange, i dont remember diddy in super metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

F. Lobot posted:

"Buy a copy of Smash for Wii U so you can be good at downthrow upair."

loving :lol: D1

haha yea

• Locked thread