Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Echo Chamber posted:

Can't believe the WiiU game is coming out so soon. We've come a long way.

Did sakurai take wavedashing out of this one too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

GGs man, I really have to get an Ethernet Adapter for my Wii U.

Also add Endgame, I think he really wants to fight you

I was playin with some folks and it was like 1 second delay but then once I started using the ethernet adapter it was The poo poo!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I have a dream that every man and woman can smash to their heart's content

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

jivjov posted:

So I've decided that I'm only gonna teach my Fox amiibo on Final Destination/Omega mode with items off.

Fox only! No items! Final destination!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Thanks Maple Leaf, it has been a pleasure

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Chakram posted:

Actually Greninja has the worst recovery because he will always, always Shadow Sneak unless you're holding your control stick perfectly at high noon.

:ssj:

(i agree)

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Sakurai this is the last fuckin straw

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
And maybe have at least one person who can play through the game and speak up when they realize that unlocking custom moves is a pain in the rear end

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Maple Leaf posted:

I hope you'll appreciate this Ike putting the boots to Sonic. Go to 0:58 for some sweet Ike swag.

Wish this was a vid of ike putting boots on sonic instead

anyways i think laplace is just overcommitting a bit too much to the comparison but i can see where They Are Coming From

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What that mean

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm not a selfish monster so i only play what other people want me to play to promote social harmony

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
No one actually LIKES playing melee they just say they do because they're secretly in love with glitches and one specific old game for some reason (perhaps... no reason?)

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

I like going fast and melee+wavedashing are fast it's not some weird conspiracy duder.

No, it IS a weird conspiracy! There's no other explanation

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

laplace posted:

Like this post for example, There aren't any glitches at all used in competitive melee. I assume you mean wavedashing, which isn't a glitch and is actually something Sakurai left in the game after discovering it. It's an aftereffect of the physics of airdodging. It's not being used as intended, but it is not a glitch. It is programmed to work this way.

I was bein sarcastic!! I love melee and also like smash 4 and think it's really weird how much people respect nintendo's/sakurai's vision of what smash is supposed to be when they barely even scratch the surface of what makes smash great in the first place. youp eople make me sick and i hope some great misfortune falls upon you

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I find Ike the most fun to play, I think I'm just frustrated by how bad I am at the game. On the other hand, I've owned it for three days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GymKgJHt_oQ

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Yes My Lore

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Noooooooooo

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Thank you

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
for the explanation

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It's like probably the only unlock-all type of dlc that i would ever consider buying... :negative:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
i wish ic ould remove you all

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
no dont you get it youre the bad kind of nerd not the good kind of nerd -me, a nerd

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
poo poo post

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
post poo poo

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
shuatt fh ucfk up

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
if you can get good with a non-gamecube controller you can avoid all the hassle of trying to find a gamecube controller adapter!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

I used to be excited for custom moves opening up gameplay but having tried out and fought against a bunch of custom moves and minmaxed miis I feel like all of the custom elements of tihs game are kind of unpleasant to fight against, and sometimes feel more like you're fighting a hacker than fighting someone with alternate movesets. It sort of isn't fun at all.

Can you give some examples of unfun customs to fight against? Just curious since I don't have them all unlocked yet

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

Any of the ones that throw out gigantic windboxes like Mario's heavy cape or Ike's neutral B end up throwing you around and make it super tedious to recover. A Mii Brawler with max shortness and max thickness also feels like cheating almost. Being able to mix and match the stats on your Mii by controlling its attributes gets really broken when you put it to the extreme ends of the scale.

lmao I didn't know that actually affects how the mii plays

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
produrrrrdenject mayhem is in effect

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Maaaan nintendo needs to get with the drat times

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

As someone who doesn't care about watching smash played competitively, are grabs like, really overpowered? Or does it require a stupid metagame like wavedashing for marginal increases because Smash Bros is a competitve game guys. Gotta min max yer yoshi's.

Just mash buttons

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I guess as character variety goes up the burden of knowledge increases to the point where keeping up with every matchup is less and less practical for more players? So that it's less about outplaying someone but more about matchup knowledge which just leans towards breadth rather than depth. I dunno if that's a valid argument but hey i guess it's something. Still wanna see customs though just to see how it plays out

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
You must now earn the right to play on the stage by exchanging friend codes with the level designer and play coin matches with him until a random stage pass drops which allows you one play on the aforementioned stage. you will be immediately banned for taunting or for looking into your opponent's eyes as these are a pedophile's common vector of attack

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
And why won't they let me play 8 player smash on these other stages... :ssj:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

bef posted:

hes a trash character with lovely mechanics

:wth:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

How Rude posted:

Holy poo poo the youtube comments, all the smash bros autists are trying to quantify character choices in a fighting game as disrespectful because someone picked a character that is considered the worst and won. "But Shiek is BETTER you MUST PICK HER if you are a SERIOUS COMPETITIVE PLAYER :qq:"

what happened to picking what you like and doing well with it in a video game, geez

lol

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
That thingie's from here i think: http://forrestthewoods.com/unbalanced-design-of-super-smash-brothers/

Ohhhh there's also a part 2 and part 3 on there that i havent checked out yet :)

http://forrestthewoods.com/unbalanced-design-of-super-smash-brothers-part-2/
http://forrestthewoods.com/unbalanced-design-of-super-smash-brothers-part-3/

whalestory fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 10, 2015

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

What is the best way to get gud at this game?

Outside of getting my rear end kicked by better players anyway, using Zero Suit Samus right now cause I like her speed.

You have to really think about what you're doing, if not during the game then afterwards. It's really easy to just go autopilot and fall into a flowcharty playstyle well maybe this only happens when youre high or drunk when you play but those are my experiences anyway

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
how wude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

I am indifferent towards Rosalina but vaguely disturbed by how gigantic she is compared to every other character and her crouch animation.

Yea whats up with that crouch animation! why is it so cool

• Locked thread