Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I sail on a 10-meter plastic sailboat from the 70's in the Baltic sea. It's not mine (belongs to a friend of my father's), but I get to use it in exchange for helping maintaining it. It really does need some maintenance, it's been sort of neglected for the last ten years or so. Still works great but there's a bunch of deferred maintenance things I oughta do.

Currently it looks something like this. The Baltic freezes over in winter so you gotta put your boat up on land over the winter. Also pictured is the boat's actual owner.

This summer was pretty amazing, though.

The Baltic is a pretty friendly place in summer and there's always shelter to be found in case of harsh weather, so it's an excellent place for babby's first sailing experience. I'm not really what you could call experienced, but I know the basics and the limits of my capacity.

What's really amazing about sailing in Sweden though is the right of public access; as long as you're not in someone's literal backyard, you can just go ashore anywhere you like and stay the night, either on your boat or in a tent. For me sailing is more about nature than about Gotta Go Fast. Going fast is fun too, though. :3:

The sailing season is pretty short, though. If you're not really resistant to cold it's basically from late May to mid October. The ice sheet usually lasts between January and April, and while you can technically sail as soon as the ice is gone, most people choose to keep it to the "real" summer months (June to August).

Also, if you exclude the mooring (which tends to be really loving expensive), owning and operating a sailboat is really remarkably cheap. Wind doesn't cost you anything, and if you choose to run on the diesel fuel consumption is really, really low even if you don't get to go that fast. Maintenance costs money of course, but really, it's surprisingly cheap considering how big a boat you can live aboard is. Purchasing a boat tends to be pretty expensive, though.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

Lovely! The Baltic sea is quite brackish, isn't it? At least I know shipwrecks are very well preserved there, is there less growth (and perhaps less maintenance) on the hull as well?

Yeah, the Baltic's not very salty at all. Less corrosion on metal parts, less barnacle growth, just less underwater problems in general. Very convenient!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

This is not my boat. It belongs to a friend of my father, who is getting on in years and has no kids of his own, so an arrangement was made that I'd get to use it in exchange for helping with maintenance, with the understanding that I'll take it over eventually. It's called Strändernas svall, named after a 1946 novel by Eyvind Jonsson, translated into English as Return to Ithaca; the original title means something like "the swell against the shore". She's a 9.95 meter long plastic yacht of a class called Aphrodite 101, built in Denmark in 1977 as hull number 13. She sails well but has sadly seen very little use in recent years, and there's a lot of long-deferred maintenance that should be taken care of.

Fortunately for me, the original Volvo engine broke down in the late 90's and was replaced with a new Kubota two-cylinder diesel that has a closed-loop freshwater cooling system (unlike the old engine, which circulated seawater directly into the engine), so I don't expect too much trouble with that, at least. Still, nobody's done on an oil change on the thing in probably a decade, so that's one of the first points of order. If anyone has any protips on what you should look into on an engine like this, please let me know! I know very little about combustion engines and I don't have a driver's license.

Either way, first thing to get taken care of is the hull. I should probably scape and re-paint the bottom completely but I'll postpone that for next year and just patch it up for this summer.

Hidden by the rudder is...

... a bunch of last year's barnacles. Got rid of those all over the hull today.

And took care of some gunk in the waterline (before to the right, after to the left).

Tomorrow I'm gonna scrape the bottom some more and patch up some places where the paint needs reinforcing. Next weekend it's oil change time and checking that all the connections below the waterline seem okay. Also gonna take the opportunity to watch some long-tailed ducks while both they and I are around here (they migrate northward as spring progresses).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

-Anders posted:

Update time!
I've actually come so far as to be done with priming the bottom (6 layers of primer) and now I've even put on the first layer of antifouling (:birddrugs:).
Unfortunately it started raining yesterday and will for some time it seems, so I'll have to wait to finish the job.

I've made an attempt at a video-log of sorts, I'll probably do some more whenever there's something to tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2P4Xu1r3s

Nice! You're one hell of a lot more productive than I am, though :negative:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Patched up the anti-fouling paint yesterday. Of course it turned out it's not quite the same off-white color as the previous paint so now it looks kinda spotty :argh:
Guess I'll have to paint most of the bottom anyway just so it won't look retarded.

Today we ran the engine for a little bit (cooling was arranged by getting a few buckets of seawater) to get the oil warmed up a bit, then pumped out the old engine oil. It was black but not contaminated in any way as far as I could see, so that's a good sign. Even after close to six months on land, the engine started immediately without any hesitation, also a good sign. Tried to change the oil filter but couldn't get it off, and we don't have a tool suitable for removing it. Gonna postpone filling the new oil until next weekend because of that.

Checked the fuel water separator, there was no water in there as far as I could tell. I've ordered a new water separator and a new fuel filter but it hasn't arrived yet. Also ordered a new impeller for the coolant pump.

Engine from the top; the stern of the boat is towards the bottom of the picture. The engine is a Nanni Diesel 2.50 HE, which is a marine-ized two-cylinder Kubota industrial diesel engine. The part that says Volvo Penta is the transmission housing; the boat retains the old Volvo saildrive. Gonna have to check the oil there too for contamination but I doubt it'll be necessary to change it.

Engine from the front. Conveniently it has a builtin oil drain pump, in the upper left of the picture. The alternator drive belt was slipping occasionally last summer so I'll tighten that up. Engine manual says to check the belt every service interval and "replace if necessary"; I should probably order a new one. Can't hurt after 15 years.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 2, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Boat's in the water now, and we put the mast on this past weekend.

Mast loaded onto the boat, ready to head over to the crane to put it on.

The crane is a modest home-made affair. It's only about half as tall as the mast, but that's not really a problem; as you can see the line hooks up to the mast just beneath the shroud spreaders about a third of the way up. Then you get someone to hold the foot of the mast down while raising it up.

Holding the mast hanging from the crane while they're fastening it and tightening up the shrouds and stays etc. The winch has a serial number plate informing me that it was manufactured in 1965 in Düsseldorf, West Germany. Still going strong!

All done. Annoyingly, moments after this photo was taken we discovered the windex was put on backwards, so now we need to find somewhere with a better crane you can climb up into to adjust it, because gently caress taking the mast down again just to fix that.

We put the boom on too so now it's just a matter of trimming the rig a bit and it's all ready for a sailing trip. Weather has been pretty poo poo so far though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Popete posted:

Can anyone recommend me some basic resources on sail boat ownership? I've been sailing for about a year now (dingy and keel), a lot of time out on the water this year racing on a 30 ft Frers twice a week. I'm taking a keelboat refresher course in July on a J22 the size of boat I am hoping to buy next year. I've been looking on Craigslist at boats for sale and it seems like you can get a decent sized boat for $5000 - $10000 which seems like a steal to me. But I'm curious what to look out for and what the hidden costs of ownership are. Last thing I wanna do is buy a boat and go broke maintaining and repairing it cause I didn't know what to look for.

Used fiberglass/plastic boats in the 20-30' size range from the 70's/80's are basically a dime a dozen these days and you can get awesome value for your money if you shop around. If you get one without an engine there's not a lot you can get hosed over on, most problems will be readily apparent if you just give it a good looking over while it's on land. It's always a good idea to pay special attention to critical things like the rudder fasteners, any hull openings below the waterline, the anchor points for the standing rigging etc.

If it does have an inboard engine, that can be a huge can of worms. If at all possible, try to get a boat where the original engine has been swapped out at some point in the 90's/early 2000's, but even then you're gonna have to be real careful. Outboard engines are cheaper and easier to replace and probably easier to maintain as well, but at least here they have a disturbing tendency to get stolen. They're also less suitable to a boat intended for longer trips because you can't really hook an alternator up to them, but since you're looking for a day cruiser that's a non-issue to you.

Basically if it's a plastic sailboat in decent shape, everything except the engine is actually pretty cheap to own and operate. Most parts do not need replacement all that often and if you sail it in freshwater you're not even going to have to repaint it below the waterline very often. Marine engines, though, are expensive and annoying. Wooden sailboats can also suck up pretty much infinite amounts of time, if you let them (they can be really nice to look at, though).

As far as boat class choices go, if you had been in northern Europe I'd have recommended an IF-boat - it's cheap, it sleeps four people (although two of them need to be sorta small and/or pretty good friends - bring a tent), seats five if you need to, can be handled solo and is an excellent beginner sailboat while still having a lot of room to grow (people have crossed the Atlantic in it) - but I don't know if such creatures exist in Lake Michigan.

Other than that I concur with the guy above: don't underestimate mooring costs. poo poo's expensive.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 30, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gotta brag a bit and post some gratuitous photos. Sailing this wooden yacht this week with some family friends. Primrose is her name, a 43 ft yacht built in Gothenburg in 1938, not to any particular rule. Three families share ownership, and I think that's about right for the amount of maintenance a boat like this requires.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kenshin posted:

Beautiful. What's the beam on her, looks narrower than I'd expect from a sloop her size?

2.6 m (8.5 ft), or thereabouts. The interior isn't huge but five people sleep comfortably on board.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
boats are the loving worst, why would anyone ever get the idea of getting a boat

I'm scraping bottom paint and it's awful, but ask me again in three months and I'll tell you that boats are the best goddamned thing ever

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Got the boat into the water today, but of course it's got a very annoying engine issue :negative:
I changed the diesel filter last fall and don't think I bled the fuel system properly, so now I'm chasing that air bubble. The engine runs, but unevenly and at low RPM. Sometimes it peps up and goes back to normal but then it goes back to running badly. I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do (bleed the injector lines) but I didn't have time to do it today so now I get to be annoyed at an unsolved problem all week...

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Locator posted:

I watched this and I was trying to imagine what sort of reaction you would get if you could magically go back in time to the age of sail and show some captain's this:

I don't think you should underestimate just how incredibly optimized the last few generations of commercial cargo sailing ships were. Sure, 19th century ship architects didn't have access to modern materials and I'd bet their designs weren't nearly as good close to the wind as modern ones, but they were designed and built by people who built on a huge amount of experience and empirical test data - they knew a thing or two about sailing. There were sailing ship speed records set by clippers that stood unbeaten for well over a hundred years - for example, the 225ft clipper Champion of the Sea held the 24-hour sailing speed record at 19.46 knots between 1854 and 1984, or if you only compare monohull to monohull, all the way up until 2002. There are more than a handful of records of clippers that averaged 18 knots or more over a 24 hour period as well, and modern monohulls only started to reach those numbers in the 1990's.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
After sailing on other people's boats for years now, I think it's time to make an informed bad decision - I'm about to buy a boat. More specifically, this one:

This is an S30, a 41 ft (12.5m) plastic/fibreglass (GRP) sailboat, drawn up by Scandinavian yacht design legend Knud Reimers around 1970. It's an imitation of the old wooden square meter rule skerry cruisers, and as such it is long, low and narrow - the beam is only about 8 ft (2.5m), and you can barely stand upright inside. Just like the old skerry cruisers it's also got a good bit of overhang both fore and aft, so the waterline length is more like 33 ft (10 meters). A more conventional 41ft yacht can easily displace 7 or 8 metric tons or even more, while this thing displaces under 4 tons. Around 300 of these things were built between 1972 and 1982, all in Sweden, and most of them remain here. They're far from ideal for bluewater sailing, but in the Baltic archipelagoes, they're great. The draft is also very shallow at only 5 ft (1.5m) which combined with the fin keel and the long overhang makes it easy to reach land in the archipelago's plentiful natural harbors.

This particular example was built in 1978 and launched in the spring of 1979, was kept by the builder as a demo boat for one year and then sold to the current owner, who is now getting on in years and looking to sell it. It's in overall great shape for a 40 year old boat, and most of the sails have been replaced in the last 5-10 years, but it still has its original Volvo Penta MD7A - a 13 horsepower two-cylinder marine diesel engine. That last thing is the only real issue that makes me hesitate to buy it, because new engines are not cheap (looking at something like $6000 USD for just a 13-15 hp marine diesel engine, then potentially add a new saildrive/prop assembly, installation work etc). Still, the owner seems like a man who takes meticulous care of his belongings - it reportedly runs perfectly and was converted from direct saltwater cooling to closed loop freshwater cooling via a heat exchanger in 1990, so unlike some of its brethren it shouldn't be completely rusted out inside the block. Hopefully. If I end up keeping this for more than a few years, a new engine is probably a good idea at some point, but since it will in all likelihood cost more than half of the price of the boat itself, I'll put it off for a while.

The interior is best described as "cozy". It's got six bunks - a twin under the foredeck, two sofas doubling as bunks in the main cabin, and two in a separate compartment aft of the cockpit. There is a toilet with a septic tank, but with the kind of sailing I intend to do (island hopping in the archipelago), that's going to be for emergency use only.

Gonna go on a test trip on Tuesday.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 1, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Big Taint posted:

Those are gorgeous, there’s one in SF bay that I see sailing one or two times a year.

They really are! We (my sister, her husband and I - we're planning to share ownership) had a long laundry list of things we wanted in the new boat, and "does not look like a floating mobile home" was one of them. The classic skerry cruiser look is great, and I have a particular soft spot for Reimers designs ever since sailing on Primrose, which was also his work.

chrisgt posted:

Those old Volvo engines are ridiculously reliable, just keep up on valve adjustments and oil changes. Probably also a good idea to have the injectors rebuilt if it hasn't been done in the last ~500 hours or so.
Those older sail drives are... a nightmare. I'd rebuild it on principle just so you know it's in good shape.

meltie posted:

That's beautiful!

Mate, if the engine's been fine for 40 years, you're not going to need to replace it. Have it overhauled by a local shop with a good reputation and it'll be fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and all that.

This is good advice, thanks! I'm definitely on board with not fixing it as long as it works, but certain spare parts for these are starting to get scarce as far as I understand. From what I've read, what usually kills this engine generation is either compression issues or the engine block rusting from the inside due to saltwater corrosion in the coolant loop. The latter problem this one hopefully doesn't have anymore, since it was converted to closed loop freshwater cooling long ago. I haven't really heard anything about the saildrives dying though, so that's news to me. It's a Volvo Penta Saildrive 110S. Do you know what tends to go wrong with them?

Crunchy Black posted:

gently caress yeah. Running check stays? This thing was built to go fast.

I'm not too good on sail trim terminology but I think those are just regular running backstays. It is a fast boat though - long waterline (when heeled over) means high top speed.

The Locator posted:

Tiller steering on a 41' boat? Have to say that's surprising to me! Great looking boat though, grats.
As boxen said, it's really light for its length, and it's so narrow it would probably have been hard to fit a wheel. The tiller is also really long (it's well over a meter) so you get a long moment arm to manhandle.

Haven't actually bought her yet, but it's looking good so far - it's definitely the best one out of the handful I've looked at already, the price is reasonable and it ticks all of the boxes.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 3, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

chrisgt posted:

Maybe it's because I worked at a marine industrial park I saw a disproportionate amount of broken sail drives... Just never liked the things.

In boat news, today I ran into something I've never seen before. Sadly the handful of shops I called have never seen it either... This is the alternator off a Bukh engine. I was called in for help because of a failure to chooch condition.

What we're looking at is the back side of a French S.E.V. Marchal alternator, I think they're basically the Nippon/Denso of France. The unusual part is the two B+ studs at the top of the picture. Those are two diode isolated outputs from the alternator designed to charge two isolated batteries at the same time. I can't imagine it works very well (well, it doesn't work at all now...).

Issue is someone has hamfisted the terminals and broken the little bondwires off the diodes. I can find rectifiers and regulators for this unit, but not that weirdass isolated diode thingy on the back. Thinking I'm gonna have to either make my own diode set or convert it to being a conventional alternator and find another (likely better) isolation solution. The alternator does produce power when bench tested, just not through the diode pack magic. My other option is to try and find something modern I can retrofit. This alternator is much more common on some old Volvo Penta, so I might see what owners of that engine convert to. I hate doing weird one-off modifications for someone. Nobody else will be able to fix it, I end up owning the stupid halfassed repair...

I think that generator (or one very like it) was standard equipment on the 70's Volvo Pentas, yeah. I suspect the boat I posted about has one. As far as I know though the red assembly with the dual battery charging system was an optional accessory and I think you can just remove it? Amazingly it seems you can actually buy replacement regulators for these things, at least around here.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

TheFluff posted:

After sailing on other people's boats for years now, I think it's time to make an informed bad decision - I'm about to buy a boat. More specifically, this one:

I signed the purchase papers for this today. This is scary and I won't get to sail it again until this spring :negative:
I guess I'll have to post a bunch about various winter projects until then.

The gentleman who's owned her since new turns 85 years old next month but he sailed her until last year - he broke his leg this spring and that's what finally stopped him. Life goals. (Well, not the breaking a leg part)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 19, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
She's on land now.

Little bit dirty in the waterline, but almost no growth under the waterline. The anti-fouling paint isn't particularly nasty either (it's a hard copper-based paint), which is good because the local equivalent of the EPA is on a mission to make self-polishing paint completely illegal within the next few years, so that saves me having to take care of that. I guess the environment at the marina is just so hostile to life in general that nothing grows anyway though.

Did the usual maintenance on the engine - oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, and filled the seawater loop with antifreeze mix. Bleeding the fuel feed was easy enough and the engine started happily afterwards, which is very good. Runs really smooth, easy to start and there are no signs of worrying smoke or other nastiness, which makes me very happy since it's 40 years old. Didn't do valve adjustments this time but it's on the hit list.

Already got a long list of things we want to do, everything from extending the toilet door to installing a USB power outlet to adding various storage nets etc. Don't know where to start yet though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gvibes posted:

Pretty sleek-looking boat you got there.

That's the best thing about her :swoon:
Long, low and narrow, makes her look hella fast in a way modern flat-bottomed things don't, even thought they're actually much faster in reality. Also really nice to look at!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kenshin posted:

I am waiting to hear back from my bosses at work to see if they can spare me for a few weeks, but if they are ok with it (I think they will be), it looks like I'm flying to Honolulu this coming Friday to help some folks sail their 48' sailboat to California.

Should take us about 3 weeks.

Yep, I'm a crazy person for doing this.

EDIT: bosses said go for it

I dunno, sounds pretty awesome to me

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neslepaks posted:

Bye bye boat season. :smith:

You lasted impressively long, the first snow's hitting southern Sweden this weekend. Then again I guess the climate's milder in Norway.

I guess you could also choose to flee these frozen latitudes with no clear plan like these two Finnish idiots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47sqsUzuQQ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

monsterzero posted:

“sailing isnt expensive! sailing isnt expensive!!”, i continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a bag of stainless hardware

:negative:

at least it's still too cold out to start working on the darn thing

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
-4°C here today (25F). :smith:

Probably a month or so still before the tarps come off.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neslepaks posted:

Managed to swap my 3.5m berth for a 4.5m one. All set for an even bigger money hole :sureboat:

I was prepared to have to use a mooring buoy (swing mooring? whatever it's called in English) for my first season, but I lucked out and just heard yesterday that I'll get a quayside berth, at least for this summer. Apparently another boat club member isn't using his spot this summer, so I'll get to use it second-hand, so to speak. Berths for a 12.5m boat are rather rare and usually expensive too, but this particular boat club charges berthing fees based on the boat's beam only (since that's what determines how much real estate it eats up on the quay), and mine's only 2.5m, so this is really neat! :stoked:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

monsterzero posted:

Congrats! That’s pretty’s slender for a 36’, aren’t most boats that length about a meter wider?

I’m still sitting on a waiting list for a dry slip (mast up trailer parking) but hopefully some folks will have found something else to occupy their summer so I can take over their lease.

In imperial she's 41' long over all by 8' 2" beam, so yes, she's extremely long and narrow :getin:

I've posted about her here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=486664210

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 21, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I can't wait either. Finally getting started on boat fixing next weekend. We've had some funny weather these past two weeks - 20C/68F during the day today but it'll be below freezing tonight. This week though I went out to the boat club to do my part and help out with preparing the docks. Got to see our berth for the first time too.

Boat club's docks. There are a few brave souls who have kept their boats in the sea over winter.

View from the club house. Our berth is near the end of the outermost quay.

Soon...

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

hello there

you know what's really hosed up imho? a 41ft grp boat has a lot of loving gelcoat on it, and that gelcoat needs - no, deserves - polishing :pwn:

No but seriously though today was great. We didn't actually polish much yet, but we removed the cover tarps and gave the entire boat a good wash. We also got around to throwing out a bunch of horrifyingly 1970's tableware in various shades of brown, as well as some other odds and ends (the purchase was an all-inclusive deal, since the previous owner is 85 years old and doing the death cleaning thing, so we got everything and the kitchen sink - lifejackets, tools, spare parts, a garden hose exclusively used for washing the boat, etc etc - and we were told to just throw out or donate anything we didn't like).

You can clearly see where we've washed and where we haven't. Not up to Neslepaks' standards yet.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neslepaks posted:

Btw shook a guy's hand on friday so she's sold. :smith:

:rip:

Have you decided on what to get next? Will you be boatless this season?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Spent the last two weekends doing a lot of polishing, cleaning every nook and cranny and general prep work. All done now, we launch on Friday. Poking around has of course given me a long list of projects though.

Let me introduce you to Ms. Penta, who turns 40 years old this year. More specifically, it's an MD7, a 0.74 liter two-cylinder four-stroke diesel making 13 horsepower at the propeller shaft at 2600 rpm.
The gray vertical tube on the left is the heat exchanger for the closed loop freshwater cooling system (installed at some point in the early 1990's), and one of the many items on my hit list for the immediate future involves it. I replaced the zinc anode at the top today, and for once internet forums posters agree with the manual that you need to replace this every year. The one that I took out has probably been there for at least 3-4 years and was pretty much completely gone. Some stuff that I can only describe as zinc mud fell down into the heat exchanger when I removed it. I don't think that's necessarily an immediate problem, but I'll have to remove the heat exchanger at some point and clean it. It may also be corroded inside; the green discolorations around the hose fittings are suspicious.
A replacement one is 500€ :negative:

Among other issues that need fixing as soon as feasible are some rather big cracks in the gelcoat around the tiller mounting and the seacock for the bilge pump (the thru-hull mounting itself looks fine, but the seacock is stuck open - it's above the waterline, but only barely). Electrical system probably needs an overhaul too, and I'd really like a new generator since the original is only 35A. Also, the pprevious owner saw no need to replace working lightbulbs until they broke, so both the interior lighting and the running lights are incandescent in tyol 2019. Wasting 10W of power on a tiny little bulb when I can use a 3€ LED that draws less than 1W is just bizarre though, so out they go.

Other than that the entire boat is in... pretty dang nice shape, I'd say. Always a bunch of things to fix on a boat of course but almost everything I've poked around seems in good working order even though some things are a bit worn. The mainsail is from 2010 and very little used, furling jib from 2005 and similarly nice shape.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 18, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BalloonFish posted:

Nice. I'd agree that heat exchanger looks 'suspicious'. Especially with it being vertical it's probably got a bit of sludge and scale in the raw-water side (as well as old pump impeller blades blocking a couple of the tubes...)

I do like old Volvo-Pentas, even though the parts costs theses days are astronomical. I spent a pleasant weekend a few summers ago coaxing a Penta MD2B (older 1.12-litre 25bhp engine with separate cylinder blocks and heads) into life after sitting in a ghastly old sailing yacht that had been on a mud creek mooring for 12 years and a friend had just bought as part of some absurd 'cheap boating' scheme. One cylinder liner had cracked and the cylinder had filled with water (fortunately fresh, as like yours the engine had had a twin-circuit cooling system fitted to it at some point) and the engine had seized. Managed to free off that cylinder enough to dismantle the engine in-situ and take the cylinders ashore. New liners were something like £450 each from Volvo. Just for the sake of getting some sort of life into the boat we put the engine back together with a horribly bodge of liquid-metal in the cracked liner. Flushed the fuel system through with fresh diesel from a one-gallon can in the cockpit, bypassed the control panel (all the switches and lamps had corroded into a white powdery mess), hot-wired the dynastart directly, squirted a bit of engine oil down the bores to seal the rings and the thing clanked into life on the third revolution. The bad cylinder had low compression so it was only running on one-and-a-half cylinders but it ran!

Man, that's pretty awesome that you got it actually running from a state like that. I'm not much of a mechanic - I have never owned a car, all the engine maintenance I've done has been on small marine diesels - so I'm really hoping to avoid any major internal repairs for the next few years. It ran perfectly when we bought the boat last fall (started without issues, basically no smoke, no weird vibrations, drove the boat at a steady 6 knots, ran up to near-redline without any complaints) and I have quite a bit of documentation that indicates it's been pretty well taken care of, so I'm hopeful. I think I'll tackle valve adjustment at some point this year at the very least though, just to have it done. Never done it before on any engine.

The plan is to keep it for as long as it works. A new diesel in about the same size from one of the many firms that marine-ize small industry diesels (usually from Mitsubishi, Kubota or Lombardini) is at least 5000€, and a new saildrive is probably needed too, adding another 3000€ or so, and then you need to install the thing. The current saildrive (Volvo Penta 110S) has a very low gear ratio because of the original engine's low redline, and while there are adapters for many modern engines available, the newer ones almost universally have a 3600rpm redline and as far as I've understood it that would simply make the prop spin too fast. You can of course just get a bigger engine and run it slower, but that's also expensive, and never getting up to proper working temperature isn't good either.

late edit: I should say the freshwater cooling loop is an aftermarket item. Volvo's OEM parts are hilariously expensive here too, but since there are so drat many Pentas in this country there's a pretty decent market for aftermarket parts, at least for the commonly serviced stuff. I can get all kinds of gaskets, thermostats, filters, pumps, exhaust elbows and even injectors without ruining myself, but rarer stuff is mostly unobtanium. I'm unsure if piston rings are available at all from anyone, for example.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 19, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

We're live :getin:

This is at the visitor dock, we leave for our new permanent berth on Thursday. Only ~45 nautical miles but it's our first real trip so I'm excited.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
In the EU the Recreational Craft Directive has some emissions restrictions for boat motors that are supposed to apply on "major engine modifications", but I have no idea how strict they are. I looked up a few small diesels sold as new today and all of them claim RCD compliance.

MrYenko posted:

:allears:

That's a really pretty boat. Refresh my memory on make and model?

It's so pretty :swoon:
The type is called S-30, where the 30 originally referred to the intended sail area in square meters*. It's supposed to be a GRP imitation of the Scandinavian skerry cruisers (or square meter yachts) which were popular back in the 1910's and 1920's. Drawn up by Knud H. Reimers who was one of the big names for this type of boat. Most S-30's were built by a Swedish wharf called Fisksätra in the 1970's, but as production wound down around the early 1980's I believe there were a few sold as DIY kits. Around 300 were built in total. Mine is a late production example (1979) and has an updated doghouse that Reimers apparently wasn't a fan of (they got someone else to do it). It's very long (41 ft), narrow (just over 8ft beam), quite low freeboard and a lot of fun. I love it. They don't make 'em like this anymore!

* The class association got together and agreed on an updated sail plan in the early 90's which increased the sail area by moving the forestay forward and increasing the size of the main triangle. These days she's carrying 42 sqm in just the main and the furling jib, and included in the purchase was also a 30 sqm genoa that I doubt I will ever use.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 24, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Boat update: it leaks. Much like every boat ever. It's from above though and not from below, which makes it far easier to deal with. More specifically, in the cockpit floor there's a threaded brass mount for a table leg that hasn't been used for probably 20 years (there is a different system for mounting a table in the cockpit now), and it seems to have gradually worked itself loose from the sealant. The floor is a very period correct fiberglass-balsa wood sandwich, and the balsa around the mount has started to rot. Since the mount isn't used anymore (we don't even have the threaded rod that would fit in the blind hole) I'm thinking I should just get rid of the mounting entirely, scrape out a centimeter or three of rotten balsa, tape the bottom of the hole from below and then just fill the entire thing up with epoxi, and be rid of the problem once and for all. Thoughts?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 26, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

meltie posted:

Do it. You might be scared to find out how far that rot's spread... but you probably need to know before you put your foot through it?

I get so annoyed at people that drill holes in yachts then wonder why they leak.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be too surprised to find that the rot is rather widespread, yep. It's to be expected from a GRP boat this old - I've seen even worse on newer boats, and the fact that I've only found one leak is actually better than I expected. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of cutting up the entire floor though, so epoxy will have to do for now. It's mildly annoying that I didn't find this before I bought the boat or I could probably have gotten someone else to fix it on the previous owner's dime, or just saved myself some cash.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

monsterzero posted:

If it wasn’t that leak, it would be somewhere else. I rebedded all of my deck hardware this winter but I’m still getting rain in my bilge. All that’s left is the hull deck joint...:shepface:

If the hole in your deck is bigger than an inch and you’re excavating the core I would be wary of just filling it with epoxy and calling it a day. I’d expect the deck to flex around it, and since solid epoxy is very hard (and brittle) it or the adjacent deck would probably crack around the margins of the repair.
The ideal fix would probably be to replace the soaked core and then patch the fiberglass deck. That sucks because it’s going to leave a big ugly scar unless you’re really good at boat fixin’ or end up doing a lot more work.

If you have access to the backside you could go in from there, cut out the core, replace it with some epoxied up plywood and then lay up a couple of layers of glass on the underside. Then you could go back to the top and do a smaller fg patch.

No easy answers in boats. Only pain or :shepspends:

The hole is about an inch in diameter, or maybe slightly smaller. I agree that just pouring pure epoxy in there is probably not a good idea, for several reasons - it's gonna be a lot of epoxy, for one, and pouring that much at once is gonna develop a lot of heat while it's setting. I was considering patching the bottom of the hole with fiberglass weave and epoxy, then doing ??? to the void in the middle (maybe fill it with plywood or something, as you say) and then sealing up the top with more epoxy/fiberglass. I do have access to the underside - it's cramped, but I can get in there.

I don't mind scars that much because the hole is going to be under a wooden... what do you call it in English, duckboard? Floorboards with half-inch wide gaps between them? Anyway, it's really not very visible.

In this pic I'm standing in the cockpit facing aft (so aft is at the top of the image), with the floorboards removed. The floor immediately gets disgusting underneath it as soon as it rains, pretty much, but you can also see where the cross-beam supports for the floorboards sit when they're put in there. The offender is the round hole near the top. Underneath it is the rear compartment, with two bunks in kind of an U shape, with the bottom of the U towards aft. The hole and the leak is in the middle of the U, where the bunks are separated by the cockpit. There's maybe a foot of clearance between the rear compartment floor and the cockpit floor above it.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 28, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Big Taint posted:

On the plus side, if the core is rotten it probably doesn’t go past that drip channel, so you’re looking at maybe 1 square foot of bad core. Once you get the fitting out you can poke around and see how soft it is. You can also tap with a hard plastic mallet and listen for bad core areas, the mallet will bounce if the core is good and thud where it’s bad. If it doesn’t extend too far from the hole you might be able to get away with just digging out the bad stuff and filling with thickened epoxy.

Then I’d use a hole saw to cut a piece of plywood that will fit the hole, put some tape on the underside to hold it in place and fill around it with some neat epoxy. Then I’d sand a bevel around the hole maybe 1/2” (depends on how thick the glass part is) and then lay down layers of glass of decreasing diameter (so biggest on bottom) until it was levelish with the rest of the area. Then bevel and glass on the inside of the hole (overhead sucks, you can put wax paper over it to keep it from dripping all over). Then fair and finish to taste. Or just cover it with the duckboards and be done.

If the core is bad in a larger area, you might want to cut the top skin off around the perimeter of the area, dig out and replace the bad core, and then glass over the top.

The cockpit sole is a place where you want to do a proper repair because it’s pretty much guaranteed to be wet, and there’s probably a berth under that leak. A quick patch won’t last long, it’s a high traffic area. Plus it sucks when you step down and feel the sole deflect a bunch because the core is dead.

Good advice, much appreciated. I don't think it's gonna be so bad - I already had the fitting out and felt around inside with just my fingers and I don't think the rot has spread that far (yet). Still quite a bit of work to fix though and I haven't worked with epoxy before so I'll need to practice on something first. For now I slathered some new sealant on there and put the fitting back in with the hope that it'll survive the summer without too much leaking, because right now I'd rather be doing this:

Got back from the real maiden voyage yesterday, made it safely to new home port despite some pretty lovely weather. In the inner parts of the Stockholm archipelago you can just stop and wait it out though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Thunderstorms scare the poo poo out of me when I'm in a boat :smith:

I've made a few spring trips! I'm going for a midsummer day trip on Friday with a few expat colleagues who have never set their foot on a sailboat before, that's gonna be fun. Then I work next week, but after that it's five weeks of vacation and hopefully five weeks of sailing.

https://gfycat.com/entireyawningachillestang

This is from the maiden voyage, basically a delivery trip. Sorta windy for our first trip with the boat - we were having winds around 18-22 knots sustained and more in the gusts. In the clip we're on a broad reach with one reef in the main (yes I know the luff needs tightening, it'll get better as we get used to the boat) and while I think the video on gfycat is too blurry to read, the log is reading around 6.75 knots. Should've taken in the second reef, as we discovered when we turned a corner and had to start tacking upwind. Boat runs great though - seems like she wants to do 6 and change knots most of the time in reasonable winds. 8 knots is doable on a beam reach.

Baltic sea best sea, fore-against-shore or bust :colbert:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 20, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm kinda concerned about the dead body on the right there. :ohdear:

that's my sister you're talking about :mad:

She's just resting busy staring at the charts, definitely not dead, see?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Sailed Saturday morning - Thursday afternoon. Weather from completely becalmed and sunny over dense fog to all-day-rain and the occasional thunderclap. Having a cockpit tent is amazing and I can't believe I've sailed without one before.

Tjärven lighthouse (Fl(4) W 12S 12M) in the distance, where the Stockholm archipelago gives way to open sea.

boat owns, sailing owns, that is all

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neslepaks posted:

Looks hella nice, but idk how you managed to find such good weather this summer. It seems to be all wind and rain over here.

I took the photos in the few hours of sunshine in between the rain showers :ssh:
We did have quite a lot of rain and wind. We spent an entire day just sitting idle in a sheltered bay playing cards and board games (and replacing a seawater pump in the galley) while waiting for the rain to pass. That's why the cockpit tent is such a game changer - you can get in and out without making half the cabin wet. We did have some stronger winds but for the most part it stayed around 5-8 m/s (10-14 knots, ish) and that's almost ideal for this boat - we don't take in a reef until the average is above 8 m/s.

I can't recommend swimming in the Baltic when it's like this, though. It's like 12-13°C (53-55­°F) in the water. I did go in on two occasions, but it's not very pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neslepaks posted:

I'm inching closer to making a very giant mistake...

post pics of the mistake :getin: