Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Don't [timg], add the letter 'l' before the final dot. e.g.

http://i.imgur.com/adFqjF3.jpg

becomes

http://i.imgur.com/adFqjF3l.jpg

Like so:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You guys like boats? I love boats! Especially commercial shipping.

My office overlooks the Chicago River, one of the only waterways connecting the great lakes with the Mississippi River. When I'm not busy doing my job, I like to take pictures of barges as they go past (I'm also fascinated by the draw bridges when they open for the sailboat migrations). I run http://chicagoriverbargetraffic.tumblr.com/ .

Some of my favorites:

The sailboats are waiting for the Roosevelt St. Bridge to open. They're heading inland for the winter. The barge is almost certainly taking dirt to the construction site where they're expanding the Chicago Riverwalk.

Tug pushing three wooden "houses" into town for the Chicago Fire Festival. It was a bit of a boondoggle, as they let the houses sit out in the rain before they tried burning them down.

A few days later, going back downriver. A coworker commented, "I heard there were spectacular technical difficulties."

Empty barge heading downriver. Again, almost certainly related to the riverwalk construction project.

It's adorable! :3: :3: :3:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

crutt posted:

If anyone has any questions about being a merchant sailor, or tug boats, or harbor assist tugs in the port of Los Angeles I'm your guy!

I want to know everything and see hundreds of pictures.

Honestly, I love watching tugs pushing barges up and downriver here. Are you working on the same size tugs?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I feel like, if you're putting a rotary in a boat, you're doing it more for fun and top speeds, accepting that you're going to have to rebuild it every now and then (probably after paying a buddy a case of beer to tow you back to the marina).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Except the speeds a rotary turns at, in THAT style boat, is more just a recipe for cavitation damage to the prop.

I feel like, if you're putting a rotary in a boat, you probably understand boats about as well as I do and are willing to accept some expensive lessons in practical fluid dynamics.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My wife used to babysit for this lesbian couple who had two young kids and a Bernese, and she was the best guard dog. She didn't recognize my scent (or the scent of any man, to be honest), and while she was never violent, she was very wary about me. Lots of barking and watching.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I got to go out on a little boat for a work thing over the weekend.

They were taking on about 5000 tonnes of ore at a dinky port in Norway (out of something like a 56,000 tonne capacity). Because of various factors, they didn't get in until 2:00 AM. A coworker and I got on the ship around 2:30, and had until 7 to install and configure some equipment before they had to go. This was our first install on this company's ships, so there was a lot to discover about how their bridge is laid out, their network topology, etc. We took a trip down to the engine control room, but the only picture I got was of a configuration screen with an IP address on a piece of equipment down there.

The bridge. I didn't play with the binoculars even though I wanted to

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm happy your puddle duck is coming together!

I got some time on a boat the other week.

They were doing a little bit of engine work.

vvv Video vvv

^^^ Video ^^^

I tried to talk them into letting me take it for a spin, but they weren't having it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Did you ask them what happened to their old steam boat?

I got the sense El Faro was not a lightly discussed subject. A lot of crew had "El Faro 33" stickers memorializing their coworkers, and the safety briefings were more in depth than any other ship I've been on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Popete posted:

What in the world is going on with all these hyper advanced war ships equipped with sonar/radar and whatever else not being able to avoid gigantic tankers?

If I recall correctly, the two recent American examples were largely blamed on poor user interfaces and human factors. The example I remember cited crewmember fatigue and the user interface not making it clear which crewman was controlling the throttle and which was controlling the steering.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M/T Pacific Azur, near New Orleans

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

JointHorse posted:

Speaking of water and sinking feeling, here's an appropriate video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJl7t6PMZ2Y

They've just started, so only three videos so far, but it looks interesting.

I'm enjoying this tremendously.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

I was just informed it should arrive in Oslo on 16 May. :stwoon:

I'm curious, are they gonna truck it there or sail it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

And just like that

Just in time to grab some ice cream cones and pølse and celebrate 17. Mai. Gratulerer med dagen!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I'm putting my boat in a slip for the first time next week. Up until this point I've gotten by with carabiners on the cockpit locker and companionway hasps, but my marina is in the heart of California's meth-belt so I'm thinking locks might be a good idea.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a handful of combo locks, maybe a size or two up from TSA luggage locks. I'm thinking those would a) keep the honest people honest, b) be small enough that it looks like I'm not trying to protect anything particularly valuable, and c) be easy enough for tweaker to cut/break without loving up the surrounding boat (lol, yeah right)

Any advice from experience?

It's a little expensive, but an Abus 180/50 brass combination padlock will keep honest people honest and not rust solid if you're near the sea.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's the draft on that boat? Also -- I guess you have to swim to get back on board?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

1m to tip of prop. Theres a ladder integrated in the bow spit so even my wife gets on and off easily when moored bow-to as we do up here

Maybe my sense of scale is all messed up. it looks like the bottom of the ladder is very far off the ground to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think the ladder's just really narrow and that's confusing me. An adult is roughly twice the height of the railing up front? That's a reasonable climb.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

Update: I think the bulk of the herd is further south now, conditions are slightly less impossible. Currently in Tønsberg weathering some rain days.

Is your long term plan to just cruise around in Oslofjorden, or do you want to do any long distance trips?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bremen posted:

if I didn't go overboard.

Yes, going overboard is generally considered bad.

quote:

Of course, then cruel reality comes crashing down. I've never sailed a ship in my life - I've been on them, but always as a passenger. I suspect cruising around to uninhabited islands is much less practical than Youtube/TV makes it look (if it had a nice beautiful lagoon to anchor in someone probably owns it, at least). And of course being on my own on a ship means help is far away if something goes wrong. And while I will probably have enough money eventually that's at least ten years away and I'm 37 already - I probably won't be feeling quite as adventurous by then.

I'm 33 and I've never sailed before either. My plan is to start taking lessons this spring. How Hard Could It Be?™

This idiot sailed from LA to Hawaii on a $10k-ish boat, sold that, bought another $10k-ish boat, and sailed from Florida to Maine and back, mostly solo. He's got some good videos of finding and hiking on uninhabited islands up in Maine. I don't know how to judge him as a sailor, but he seems to be able to get by. As a real adult in your thirties/forties, you could probably afford to get a bigger/nicer boat without straying into quarter million dollar territories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvo1dO3qPY

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That owns

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

quote:

46 U.S. Code § 2304 - Duty to provide assistance at sea
(a)
(1)A master or individual in charge of a vessel shall render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost, so far as the master or individual in charge can do so without serious danger to the master’s or individual’s vessel or individuals on board.
(2)Paragraph (1) does not apply to a vessel of war or a vessel owned by the United States Government appropriated only to a public service.
(b)A master or individual violating this section shall be fined not more than $1,000, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

There's no duty to not ridicule the bigoted fucks that you just plucked out of the water though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm curious about a sailboat accessory, and unfortunately I don't know what it's called, nor did I take a picture.

My sailing school owns almost exclusively old J/24s. On one of them, either side of the companionway, there is a 2" circular hole cut in the fiberglass. They're normally closed with a threaded cap. When you remove the cap, there's like a 8" long nylon bag that's been designed to fit exactly in the hole that protrudes into the cabin. These bags are removable.

Does anyone have any idea what these are? I've been using it as a place to store the winch handle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Uh, something like this:

Yeah, almost exactly. I guess it's just a waterproof place to put stuff. Thanks!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've decided it's time to start throwing money at a serious sailing habit buy an inflatable coastal PFD. Is there some non-Amazon, non-West Marine online store where people buy that kind of thing, or should I just get one from Amazon? What manufacturers should I look for?

TheFluff posted:

I've been wanting a tachometer for the ol' iron spinnaker for a while, but haven't really gotten around to it. I could just buy a cheap and cheerful Chinese adjustable tach and hook it up to the alternator like a reasonable person, but where's the fun in that? Today though I found an old original Volvo Penta branded VDO tach at a flea market for next to nothing, and of course I had to buy it. It's not original to my engine, it seems to have been made for the TAMD40A and variants, but still it's got the proper vintage look. It seems though that this thing was made to be used with a tach sender attached to some kind of fuel pump crank or something, not the alternator, because it's marked "inductive" and "165000 imp/min". Since it's a 5000 rpm tach I interpret that as 165000/5000 = 33 pulses per engine revolution, which is far higher than what my alternator is cranking out (6 pulses/revolution and it runs about 2,2x the engine rpm IIRC).

I think this has potential for a small microelectronics project though - I think it should be possible to build a circuit that upconverts the alternator frequency to a level the tachometer likes. I'm pretty clueless at this but I think a pair of voltage-to-frequency/frequency-to-voltage converters might do it? Is there a microelectronics thread somewhere on the forums...?

You might have luck in the electronics thread in HCC, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977 . My first instinct is that a pulse frequency converter circuit is *probably possible*, but might get weird. You'd probably have better luck reading your alternator pulses via Arduino, doing some math, and then outputting an appropriate rate of pulses to the VDO tach.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

Greetings from Arendal!

Still a handsome yacht!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I went sailing last night and got the most seasick I've ever been. Threw up overboard, and threw up again once I got back on land. I blame the sketchy (but delicious!) sandwich I had for lunch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

When you're on a long cruising vacation like that, does your family stay onboard, or do you get a hotel every few days so you can sleep in a non-moving bed?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Why can't you just direct drive the screw from the electric motor in this application?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

occluded posted:

I’m on a sail training week and one of the guys is super young and literally will only talk about girls and shagging. It’s infected the other three guys on board including the instructor, and, like, banter is ok but I can’t wait to be off the boy boat so I don’t have to listen to them compare tit sizes of all the danish birds they’ve etc etc etc.

At least apart from sex talk the instructor is fantastic and I crushed some blind nav and night pilotage exercises yesterday so it’s not all dire.

Not all crew overboard recoveries have to be successful.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Also have done plenty of daysailing on Puget Sound through a local sailing club.

Which sailing club? I'm relocating to Seattle next year, and I'm looking for a good one. I've found Seattle Sailing Club, and they seem cool, but I'd love any recommendations you have.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

If all goes well, tomorrow will be the first time Salty Spray has sailed in my possession.

Happy New Boat Day!!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I would not be selling the boat if it were affordable to move it cross country

Although the broker STILL has not listed it. Talking with wife about moving it to the east coast

Just take it down to Panama and through the canal. What could go wrong?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Erwin posted:

They freed the Ever Forward (has been stuck in the Chesapeake outside of Baltimore for over a month) and moved it to Norfolk today. I was hoping to get the boat in the water before they moved it because we’d be able to see it from where we sail. Bummer.

With the luck Evergreen Marine has been having, you'll have another chance soon.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

More to the point, I don't actually know how to sail yet

You'll figure it out pretty quick if you want to make it home.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Look out Puget Sound! Seattle Sailing Club says I can rent a sailboat whenever I want! :getin:

I think somebody in this thread pointed me toward them. Thanks! They seem like a great club!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

definitely eager to get on a boat with this guy

Better than the "We're gonna run our engine and rent cars at ports, so don't sign up if you're an enviro-wacko" guy I saw once.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

On Sunday, I rented a C&C 27 with some friends and we did a round trip from Seattle to Suquamish for lunch. Each leg is about 6.5 nm as the crow flies. Wind was about 12-13 kts out of the north.

I forgot to record my track on the way back, but it's essentially the same straight line.

On the way back, just as we were entering the traffic separation zone from the west, two cruise ships popped out of Elliott Bay. We were making about 5-6 kts on a broad reach (the boat's hull speed is a leisurely 6.1 kts), so I figured we'd have ample time to pass in front of the lead cruise ship.

Those suckers are fast. It was on us surprisingly quickly. It sounded one long blast, I guess to indicate "hey, wake up tiny sailboat". We gybed and sailed south until both ships passed us.

In retrospect, I looked up the ship's name on Marine Traffic when it came into view. I should have also checked its speed, and probably also should have called them up on the VHF when it started being questionable if we'd make it out of the traffic separation zone in time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

5 honks is "I don't know what the gently caress you're doing, but it's scaring me" and in most places I've raced, immediate disqualification from the entire race weekend

I forget what honks 2-4 are but if you've gotten past 1 then it's probably time to look at those asa 101 classes again

Back in New York Harbor, I got to watch the Staten Island Ferry give five short blasts to a group of jet skiers who were screwing around in its path. Definitely something you want to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been familiarizing myself with the nautical charts, which is a real adventure in the SF Bay. The area right around Oyster Point looks like it could be good for fooling around in a little boat (and it's pretty close to home), but I thought I'd try and figure out what exactly the restriction markings around the harbor meant:

Interesting, I don't see those restriction markings on my Navionics charts.