Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To quote an ex colleague of mine: "The best two days of my entire boat ownership was the day I bought the boat and the day I sold the boat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ola posted:

Lovely! The Baltic sea is quite brackish, isn't it? At least I know shipwrecks are very well preserved there
Yep. The baltic sea is great if you're into wreck diving. On the downside, visibility is poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I remember 20-25 years ago I had a book about "future technology" which said that soon all large cruise ships would be catamaran designs because they were more stable in the water and passengers wouldn't get seasick. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We had our own sea shadow, HMS Smyge. Used as a testbed for the stealth technology later incorporated in the Visby corvettes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Visby corvettes.
Speak of the devil. Today the Visby-class HMS Härnösand moored right outside our office.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't forget the 30+ crewmen you have to employ to run it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You're slightly off. If I'm identifying it correctly that's the Luna. Estimated build cost: $545m. :homebrew:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The tender/life boat hanging off the side there is larger and more luxurious than most things you'll find in a typical small scale marina and costs $4m alone. It carries two of them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I can't even imagine being wealthy enough to have a $500M boat. Like running costs/crew/maintenance has to be in the 8 figure range annually.
Yeah it has 50 crewmen. As FrozenVent said on the previous page, calculate 10% of the purchase cost in running costs per year.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

So, if one were to take the atkins portion of the equation out, do you think a marine rotary would have any merrit spyder?
Does a rotary have any merit at all apart from an awesome sound and being able to dickwave your 10k rpm redline around? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I found a parts explosion for a 2002 and 2000 model, those look the same, so by the property of extrapolation (is that even a thing?) I'm gonna assume the 2001 model is the same...
Interpolation is when you make assumptions about data inside a known range, i.e. if the 2000 and 20002 models were the same, it stands to reason that the 2001 would be the same too.

Extrapolation is when you make assumptions about data outside the known range, i.e. if the 2000, 2001 and 2002 models were the same, it stands to reason that the 2003 would be at least similar.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I have like.. 200 pictures of the interior of the Cobia, if anyone is interested.
:justpost:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You know boats are supposed to go on liquid and not solid water, right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

The first rule of working over the side: You will drop something.

Bolts
Nuts
Pliers
A $600 motorola radio
Paint brush
Life jackets
A 20’ air hose
Just think about how often you drop poo poo on the floor working on your car or whatever, then imagine that item being gone forever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Helped a friend pull the outdrives off his twin-sterndrive motorboat last weekend. Every bloody fastener was seized solid. Why is everything involving boats so poorly designed? The lower retaining pins are held in place by locking pins and corrosion. They have completely round and smooth heads so it's impossible to get a good grip on them, and mounted in a way that you can't strike them or get good leverage to force them out.

We finally got them out by using a big rear end pipe wrench that could pinch strong enough for its teeth to dig into the steel of the pin head and get a good grip.

The upper pins could be pushed through from outside, fortunately. They too were stuck solid but we had a six pound argument (aka a sledgehammer) to convince them with.

:argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

gvibes posted:

Salt water boat, or no?
Yeah. She's spent most of her life in the Baltic sea as far as I know.

sharkytm posted:

Ugh, DuoProp. We had one coupled to a Volvo Penta diesel that saw thousands of F/R shifts, and it had a solid 2" of slop at the skeg when we got rid of it. I/Is are great for speed and efficiency, but awful at everything else. Sorry you got to deal with that.
Fortunately once they came off they're not going back on. My friend is ripping the sterndrives out completely and modifying the stern to mount twin outboards instead.

Neslepaks posted:

And just like that

Great looking boat. Enjoy!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrYenko posted:

It's a 320shp Allison 250. Apparently developed for the DoD, Mercury racing's website claims it only weighs 200lbs all-in.
Is that a gas turbine outboard? :eyepop:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I played around with a foil board (not electric) when I was in Egypt last autumn. I've done a bit of standup paddleboarding and waterskiing, but the foil board was tricky to learn and I never quite got the hang of it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

cosmin posted:

1. I’m in Europe, US stuff may not apply
What country are you in? We're a few Euro peeps in this thread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It takes longer than a winter for gas to go bad. If the tank is metal you can top it off to avoid potential rust, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

If you're really worried just drain the tank in spring, disconnect it from the engine and flush some fresh gas through the lines. But if you're running it for a few minutes every other month you're good already.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll never understand why people try to pass off a fixer uper as something else in ads. You're just wasting everybody's time, including your own.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Buying a boat 100% is a terrible idea and nobody should do it, but yet we still do. This is the wrong forum for getting talked out of bad ideas. :haw:
This forum is one of the worst enablers in my life.

(I still don't own a boat, though)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Should have left them in the water.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

There's no duty to not ridicule the bigoted fucks that you just plucked out of the water though.
Does a lake count as "at sea" though?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just seal the top of the hull airtight and pump air into it to force the water out. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Imagine losing your rudder and an 18th century sailing ship answers your distress call :v: