Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Awesome to see a lot of Chris Crafts. I grew up around one of the former CCABC presidents Wilson Wright (http://www.hagerty.com/marinehalloffame/ccabc.aspx). He even offered me my first job as a file clerk, and he's had all sorts of Chris-Crafts in the driveway since I've known him. I'll have to go to his house sometime and see what I can get pictures of; I swear there must be 30 years of "The Brass Bell" in their garage that I helped him get out of the old office when he finally stepped down.

As for me; Dammit BigFuzzyJesus, I wish I'd been able to buy that 16 off of you; I've longed for one ever since I outgrew my 14 Turbo (with me at 260lbs, it's a bit more sluggish than when I was a young boy). All the people with them want too much drat money or use them as yard ornaments. We also have a Sunfish and two of the Sailfishes (the flat-board skimmers that predated the Sunfish), so on a good day when the whole family is at the beach there will be four boats racing around in the waves. Like a few of you, I also hold the dream of getting a sailing cat and living out my middle age on the water. I'll have to figure out how to rig a hoist for a Hobie 16, because while I'm sure sailing a large boat is nice there's absolutely nothing like screaming along the shore on a beam reach, flying a hull out in the trapeze, pulling on the mast for all you're worth, with the tiller in one hand and the main-sheet in the other, all the while getting pounded by the 6 foot sea... Gawd :allears: Unfortunately none of my family does the photographer thing so we just have really fuzzy pictures of a dude on a sailboat.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the 14 with my two brothers and my grandfather rigging it up.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rime posted:

Last weekend we were trying to sail in a knot of wind, this weekend we got 25 knots and driving rain while doing our practical exam.

That was the most fun I've had in ages. :haw:

:hfive: Sailing in a storm is simultaneously the most exhilarating and most terrifying thing. Yeah you are absolutely hauling rear end and the reward is :rice: speed levels but poo poo can go to hell in a handbasket in a hurry and the penalty is very steep if it does.

I still haul rear end to the beach with the sail under my arm if I see a good blow coming without too much lightning. 30+ft aluminum mast miles from anything taller does not really enhance the chances of survival in such cases :v: Having been struck before it's not the kind of experience where you ask for seconds.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

-Anders posted:

...and then it's on to priming and getting some antifowling on there.

Those goddamn sea ducks :argh:

:downsrim:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I feel like I've been spoiled sailing in heavy weather on the Hobie; 6-10 foot swells with 30 knot wind on one of those things is both kinds of insanity :q:

On anything bigger or more expensive, though, reef the mains'l and haul her in close.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Pulled my in-laws Hobie 16 out from under a pine tree, put the mast up, rigged it, and took it out a little over the weekend. First time it's been in the water in several years.

The old, sun baked tramp developed a small tear, and most everything that moves sticks at some point or another.

Also, I haven't sailed in 10+ years, so I need to figure that out again.

Make sure you get some new battens for that main and you'll have a much better time out there. Missing the lower batten especially hurts your power.

Does the jib have battens pockets as well? I have a roller furling jib on my 14 and I don't know much about the 16s.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That is one hell of a spinnaker :stare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Neslepaks posted:

This year though, plain sailing, launched in April!

I see no sails you filthy motorer :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SuperDucky posted:

I'm so tired of this summer bullshit. Give me 35 knots, raining ice sideways and 3 foot inland swells, please.

The closest I have ever gotten to fully understanding the fleeting, fragile nature of life was in the middle of one of those sudden Florida thunderstorms in Apalachicola Bay on a Hobie 14 Turbo.

I loved every pants-making GBS threads second of it and if I hadn't been forced to develop a very healthy respect for lightning, I would still be out in every blow on a beam reach flying a hull out in the trapeze whoopin' and hollerin' like a damned idiot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Heres my fat butt starting my boat. Sorry about the snapchat quality and length, I didnt take it, but the sound is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3FxFsYPuk

Ooh man, Chris Crafts :swoon:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Took the Hobie 14 out in Apalachicola Bay. Seas 3-5ft, winds 15-20kt. Spent a good chunk of time just flipping the thing back upright :haw:
However I notice that I am a hell of a lot more sore at 29 than the last time I had a really good rip in the heavy stuff. Getting old sucks.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 31, 2017

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Scrapez posted:

I'll never forget blowing over in my little Phantom (sunfish clone) when I was like 12.

Forgot to let out the main sheet, got it upright and thankfully was able to hold on as it sailed itself away.

I swam a mile or two back to shore once with my mother in tow when that same boat shown above did that very thing. Mainsheet line looped around the port quarter corner casting and off she went! Lifejackets save lives, y'all.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I found a fairly decent looking Hobie 16 by chance this morning while out on the motorbike. $600, with sails. While the thing is absolutely filthy and the tramp is probably trash, the hulls looked, felt, and sounded solid, all the aluminum bits were firm, and most of the mounted rigging bits looked to be in place. Was unable to inspect the sails and other rigging (rudders, tiller, etc) as the owner was not home.

No pictures because I didn't have my cellphone on me, but I think I might finally be able to upgrade from the 14 I've been too big for since a decade ago.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rime posted:

Klepper Aerius

I had to look this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVLrsE0jSI

:aaa: DAS NEATO AS FRIG. Now I want one too

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ask me about being stranded four miles off shore after my Hobie Cat ran off downwind when I didn't hang on to the righting line after turning it back over. I wouldn't dare try sailing solo without a lifeline on a larger boat, along with something to loose the main if the lifeline gets tugged on.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 23, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

They apparently missed that lesson even having a boat sunk out from under them.

Of course idiots on the internet are going to buy them a new boat to go die on now.

As long as it's somebody else's money, and that's the final solution, I don't see the problem here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

monsterzero posted:

I’m got a spot on a Catalina 22 pulling sheets in a few regattas this spring. This will be my first time racing.
I’ve got a fair-ish understanding of sail trim and rigging from dicking around in my own ‘22, and we’re not in a spin fleet so there shouldn’t be too many new-to-me moving parts on the boat.

Most of the advice I’ve found by googling has been to bring beer and a good attitude. Anyone have any advice or good resources for noob crewman?

How do I get in on this sort of thing?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

gvibes posted:

How dumb would buying an old Hobie Cat be? Like a Hobie 16. Supply and parts seem plentiful. Seems like older ones with sold hulls go for 1500 and under, and even if new sails were required, that would be less than 1k more, I think.

Would have a place to just leave it and drag it into the water whenever needed.

e: used to sail dinky little sunfish/butterfly boats quite often a real long time ago.

Extremely not - dumb. They're an absurdly fun boat for the money.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Next time I'm down at the coast, I'll get pictures of my Hobie Cat trailer. It's from the 80s, and it's definitely seen more than a few saltwater baths.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

gvibes posted:

I still haven’t bought my goddam hobie cat yet. I’m now considering tracking down a getaway (their biggest roto molded cat) if I can one for a decent used price. But H16 is still more likely.

16's are perfect for solo work or lightweight duos. If I weren't a goddamn Sasquatch I'd be perfectly happy with my 14 Turbo, but I've been looking for the right 16 for years. Anything bigger is too much of a pain in the rear end to get to the beach and step the mast and right if you're by yourself.

Fake edit: I see the Getaway seems to be a fancier version of the 16, but I'm pretty "eh" about it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was never able to use the pin on my H14. I'd just elevate the mast with the forestay connected, and lift the mast straight up and set it in the pocket and then connect the stays.

I need to get a H16, Hurricane Matthew killed my 14 :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Oh hi, I was redirected to this thread from the spaceflight Megathread

Is this mostly about boring rear end powerboats? I've been thinking about starting a sailing specific thread for ages. I do bay sailing and offshore costal racing.

I could care less about soulless powerboats. Fight me.

We do sailboats here too. I don't thing a sailing specific thread would get decent traffic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I'm already a sailboat guy, but having been on many a fishing trip in offshore outboard boats, there is something unsettlingly heretical about this image.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
:stare: Holy poo poo that looks loving mental. I want one!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe my sense of scale is all messed up. it looks like the bottom of the ladder is very far off the ground to me.

Barrier to entry. Must be able to perform at least one chin-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

gvibes posted:

e: Also, my kid was like " there is a minnow in the motor," and I'm like "aw, that's cute, but that's not a...," then I looked in the fresh water strainer, and there was a minnow swimming around. Poor guy.

You got him out, right? :ohdear:

to use as bait, of course