Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, it's no race winner for sure.

Me and my dads 6 meter (about 20 feet) double ender (swedish: snipa). Came with a Solo S31 engine, a two-stroke single cylinder 3hp kerosene/petrol dual-fuel engine. 500cc, 750 rpm redline. Right now there's a Solo H52 in there, two cylinder four-stroke, 5 wild hp. Both hand crank starters with magneto ignition. And yes, that's my dad using a manual bilge pump while wearing a suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Only reason I've ever heard of this is because I remember the mission to hunt them down in USNF '94 was such a goddamn pain in the rear end, as I recall it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

Every sub I've been on also has an air of sweaty balls and I'm not sure how you get that out.

I've got an acquaintance in the navy, stationed on the swedish submarine Gotland, (the one that got a "kill" on the USS Ronald Reagan ten years ago,) and as he tells it no air filters/scrubbers in the world can save you from the sweaty balls fragrance after a 7 day sortie without snorkeling.

To quote some dude:

quote:

What nobody had warned him about was the smell. As a rough comparison, imagine your teenage son has just come home from three days at the Glastonbury festival where he hasn’t washed once. Multiply that by 120 (the number of men in a submarine crew) and think months instead of days, and you begin to get the idea.

One submariner describes his wife waiting for him at the front door when he comes home from leave with a bottle of Febreze in her hand. She insists on spraying him before she’ll let him in the house and his clothes go straight into the washing machine - even the ones he hasn’t worn.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slothrop posted:

3. Kicks it over manually using a peg that (self retracts?)

I don't remember much about grandmas brother, I was quite young when he died, but I do remember his very pronounced limp.

It was from when the peg didn't retract as it should one day, and it came back around and broke his fibula and tibia.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aluminium is anodic to stainless steel, you'll get galvanic corrosion between stainless and aluminium as well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm kinda concerned about the dead body on the right there. :ohdear:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He clearly states it is, in fact, a twelve inch boat though?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One cool thing about hydrofoils is the almost complete lack of wake.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So me and dad did a small 700 mile roundtrip to buy another old old Solo inboard engine for his collection. Of course it lacked some parts and wouldn't start despite the ad and the seller on the phone describing it as "ready to drop in the boat". Still bought it. My dad was grumpy all the way home about it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Regular two-stroke, made for starting on gasoline and then switching to kerosene but runs ok on just gasoline (since kerosene isn't as easy to come by anymore).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A fairly common joke in the 90s among boat people here was "Do you know what AIDS and Bayliners have in common?"

The answer being some variation of "if you get it you're hosed" or "no-one has ever managed to get rid of it".

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My dads' fetish for old Solo inboard engines had us go on another road trip and this time both of the engines were, accurately, described as "parts".

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

I just got home from 3 weeks aboard with my co-owners (my sister and her fiancée). Various friends came and went too, most of them stayed 3-4 days each - cruising up and down the coast makes that sort of thing possible. It was fine, some minor bickering here and there but we wouldn't have gotten the boat together if we didn't get along. Could easily have stayed out another week but it started raining again and we were almost home anyway.

Nice! IMO the weather has been pretty ok all summer, despite "COLDEST JULY FOR 60 YEARS" headlines. All my boating has been postponed because of my friends' wife testing negative for corona three times but the doctors going "we don't know what else it could be so just keep retesting". :downs:

TheFluff posted:

Various friends came and went too, most of them stayed 3-4 days each

This helps a lot with preventing bickering, in my experience.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crunchy Black posted:

Someone please hit the MOB button I'm dying from laughter.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A sliced open hose of the correct diameter works pretty good for tube protection.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Not my boat, but a fun ride. Combat Boat 90E, this one with a 1150hp Scania DI16 instead of the original 625hp DSI14. With the original engine it does 42 knots, no idea with the new one but it's fast enough although the real party trick is how it can go from full speed to stopped in less than one boat length. That does make you incredibly wet tho if you're seated up top like we were.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wargames posted:

I just boat

:justpost:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

Cement weighs around 150 lbs. per cu. ft.
Cast iron weighs around 450 lbs. per cu. ft.
Lead weighs around 700 lbs. per cu ft.

As you can imagine from the above, pouring concrete into a steel hull - which traditionally rust from the inside out - is loving stupid. :wtc:

So what I'm taking away from this is I should look for a boat with a tungsten ballast?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Make a little extra, pick up some bags full of "you don't need to know" on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1sJG88sRE

Splashed in the river for the last time this past Sunday. Pretty miserable weather, ~8°C and a misty sort of rain started immediately after the splash. It was snowing last Friday. Today we stepped the mast and it was sunny and 20°C. That's April for ya, around here.

Now on to greener pastures (new boat club much closer to where I actually live; I've been in on a waiting list for a spot for like five years and finally got it). Will not miss the ~100 NM spring and autumn transport trips; now I'll have both a mooring and a place on the hard in the same location.

Haha, what time? I think I drove right past you on Kungsängsbron while you were splashing, I remember seeing the crane moving and a boat going on.