Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

MrYenko posted:

The real answer is to drink your margarita on the rocks, as Mr Morales intended.

:colbert:

QFT real margaritas should be on the rocks, not blended. Blending dilutes the precious alcohol:water ratio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
When you're promoted* to snacktician you just make them properly for yourself. Who's crushing ice anyway, just pour equal parts mix and tequila into the nearest beverage container

*demoted**

**short crew problems

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
at minimum if you don't want to buy a VHF MOB beacon, 3x :10bux: will get you a water activated beacon/strobe that attaches to the oral inflation tube on your PFD.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/c-strobe-h20

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

Surfing down 8' waves in the Pacific on a new moon in 20kts of wind, 8 miles off shore is both calming and unnerving. Just keep the coast on your left, as I always say

The only thing I'm worried about hitting at night is, in order:
1) crab pots (keep the depth gauge reading 300+)
2) logs
3) whales
4) shipping detritus

#2-4 you're not gonna see anyway, so drive someone else's boat and hope they don't throw you overboard?

:toot:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

Crew? Spinnaker? Fuel? Yes yes yes

Sunglasses, winches, cushions, lines, shackles hats jackets beer subway sandwiches cigars

All yes

Pretty sure I dropped an emergency tiller overboard at one point

Objectively missing from this list:
- 6 hats
- my extra pair of wool socks
- my phone

Sorry about your Spinnaker née water anchor :ohdear:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Don't suck all the air out of the bladder on a hydrostatic inflated jacket. They won't actually inflate if submerged and you'll have to trigger the cartridge manually.

Apparently there needs to be some air on the other side of the trigger in order for them to work. Hand compress them if you repack them and you'll be fine.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

sharkytm posted:

I'm a big Standard Horizon radio fan. I've seen many many cheap radios (Cobra is the lowest tier of name brand) die with very little use. ICOM is another option.

The old HX270 radios took a serious beating. The modern version looks to be the HX210. The biggest plus for me was the lack of a volume knob. I found they always got moved and the radio would be silent or blasting.

I have an old HX850, which is an incredible radio with built in GPS and DSC calling. The modern version is the 890.

ICOM M93D owner checking in. Great radio but 2x what OP was looking to spend. DSC is great (obv you need an MMSI to use it)

Dual/Tri watch radios are also really handy especially if you operate in larger bodies of water or congested areas, being able to monitor multiple channels can be a big help if it's your only radio on the vessel.

Edit:

Hadlock posted:

25w is enough to hail the ISS as they fly overhead. Totally serious they only fly at an altitude of about 200 miles and you have direct line of sight.

5W is enough :ssh:

Edit 2:
With DSC on a handheld you can radio Hadlock's boat from the tiki bar ashore and ask if he has stairs blenders onboard

Edit 3:

Hadlock posted:

Edit: yeah I bought all new VHF gear in '18 (25w permanent) and '19 (25w handheld) and it was standard horizon and it's been great kit

:wtc: what handheld is 25W? Do you have a battery cart for the thing? FCC says max ERP for a handheld is 6W and 25W for a fixed station.. might wanna double check your handheld specs

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

This is your annual (half yearly if saltwater) reminder to exercise every zipper on your boat

I will not be taking questions at this time

How many birds fell out this time?